• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle fitters - rear of saddle lifting off back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle fitters - rear of saddle lifting off back?

I've noticed that when my head puts his head/neck down, the cantle and rear of the panels lift off his back a few inches. (While I'm dismounted, obviously. )

This also seems to happen while jumping -- I'm looking at some photos, and right as we take off, the rear of the saddle and pad are suspended in the air.

I'm guessing this is *not* supposed to happen, so what does this mean?
    Road to the T3D
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Originally posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    I've noticed that when my head puts his head/neck down, the cantle and rear of the panels lift off his back a few inches. (While I'm dismounted, obviously. )

This also seems to happen while jumping -- I'm looking at some photos, and right as we take off, the rear of the saddle and pad are suspended in the air.

I'm guessing this is *not* supposed to happen, so what does this mean?
    No, it shouldn't happen, and yes, a saddle acting as a bit of a rolling pin on the rather thin muscles of a horse's back hurts!

In general, the lifting cantle means your saddle is too wide in front. If it raises up a great deal, that usually means the tree is too wide. If it's more subtle, that can mean that the saddle is fine in front but too wide or shaped wrong at the waist of the saddle-- the narrow section of the "hour glass" of the panels. Some trees are built curvy than straight-- think banana versus rectangular. Those can mean a saddle with the same kind or shape of panel will have a natural tendency to roll or stay stable.

This is the basic information you need to know. If you post pictures-- COTHers can help. Most useful are shots with the saddle on the naked horse, usually ungirthed. When you put the saddle on your horse's back, slide it down from the withers until it stops. No matter what you do, this is where your saddle will end up, and where you should evaluate it's match to your horse's back.

A useful set of views:

3/4 view from the front showing the leading edge of the panel/flap as it follows the angle of the horse's back behind the shoulder. Take a shot of each side as horses can be asymmetrical.

Side view. This will let everyone see the balance of the saddle from pommel to cantle.

Back view showing the way the panels follow the "roof top" shape of your horse's back underneath the cantle/back part of the seat. To get this picture, I like to stand on a step stool behind the horse so I can really see the panel and back as they meet. If we stand on the ground, there's a big horse butt in the way of what we need to see.

I hope this helps and that your pictures tell a really obvious story so that you can know what to do.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

OP -- You have access to an excellent saddle fitter. Contact Bill Wood. http://www.thesaddlefitter.com/ He'll tell you the truth and if he can fix it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Argh, I had a reply all typed out and COTH ate it!!

HH -- thanks for the link, I'll check into it.

MVP -- I took some photos last night, unfortunately I forgot to do just the plain side view, but hopefully these will give some insight. I can fit about 3 fingers from his wither to the pommel. Also, I swear these panels used to sit evenly on his back... now they're not touching as well as they used to! I feel terrible for not noticing.

He is in the process of putting on more muscle, but the dip behind his shoulder concerns me.

All photos can be seen here: http://img12.imageshack.us/g/leftsideflap.jpg/

Left side from front
        Left side flap
        Left side from rear

Withers
        Wither, close-up

Right side from front
        Right side sweat flap and panel
        Right side panel

Butt shot
        Road to the T3D
        Translation

Comment

Sorry saddle doesn't fit. Too wide in front, tree looks to be too curvy, rear of saddle doesn't make contact with horse. Side shot would show that clearly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wah! 1) I feel bad for making my horse ride in an ill fitting saddle, and 2) it took me SO LONG to find this one... and it fit him well last year! Poor guy... I'm a bad horse mom.

Anyone want a Barnsby Diablo?
            Road to the T3D
            Translation

Comment

Can it not be reflocked or fitted?

Comment

Fritt you are NOT a bad horsemom!!! You are a good horsemom for noticing that the fit had changed and looking into it! Good advice above about Bill Wood. I personally would have him come out, take a look and see what he advises.

Comment

• Original Poster

Trying to get some of the other boarders to get in on having Bill Wood, but no one's really interested. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? It seems like using a sheepskin pad with shims won't do much, and it might alter the fit of the tree to the point of where it's too narrow... But a pad just for the rear would probably raise the cantle too much.
                  Road to the T3D
                  Translation

Comment

Fritt
                    If you post some pictures we can advise you better.

Comment

I am the queen of shims -- thanks to my assymetrical horse.

IMHO, saddle is too wide in front. So I would concentrate on adding a shim to both left and right front. See what happens. then add a second shim -- until you feel the front is raised up enough and the cantle is making more contact. I'd personally recommend using a saddle pad with four corrective pockets into which you can put the thin wool shims. (mattes makes one as do others) as opposed to putting a Mattes corrective half pad on top of a saddle pad. I've found that this automatically adds too much "stuff" under most saddles.

Even without people at your barn wanting to join in with Bill, he's not expensive, and is likely to be scheduled to be near you at some point in the near future . . . I'd give him a call.

Comment

• Original Poster

Great, thanks!

AR - I'll try to get some better photos, keep forgetting to bring my camera to the barn!
                        Road to the T3D
                        Translation

Comment

The 3/4 shot from the left, the side view showing the outlines of some ribs in there and the butt shot suggest to me that your horse lost a lot of muscle on his top line since the time this saddle fit well.

I can't tell if he's the tall, lanky 1960s TB type or not. But the shape of his back looks that way now. Is the thin by his standards? How old is he?

Yes, you have vertical clearance for his withers, but also a big ol' pocket of space in the "wither hollows section." Honey, that's your problem in my opinion. With a hole that large the saddle is too wide at the point in front that bears its weight in front and stabilizes it. If he is missing muscle long his spine all the way back, then nothing there-- underneath the seat--is keeping it from rolling forward and back, either

If this were my horse and saddle? I'd feed up my horse if this weren't his normal weight. I'd spend some time building his topline back up if this looked like a "more angular version" of his normal self. Lunging in side reins, riding bareback, walking or trotting on hills can all help. I'd experiment with a thick half pad. Because your saddle does have lots of clearance for his withers and you have hollows to fill in, this might be just the case in which a half pad works well.

In general, I try *not* to buy saddles unless I think the horse is going to stay the same shape for a while. I have no shame about trying funky pad combinations as a temporary fix.
                          The armchair saddler
                          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

The best photo would be a side shot that shows the saddle and the whole horse standing square. It sounds like it is rotating on the points of the tree. Not only will he be happier with a fix you will probably feel a big difference as well! I'd bet you're fighting your saddle for a balanced position because it's tipping you forward as well...

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all!

MVP - He's a 9 y/o OTTB gelding, 16.1 hh. We're working on building up his topline, he lost quite a bit over the winter and has been in a regular program for that. He's on the slim side and has been notoriously hard to keep weight on. (Don't worry, we've been feeding him Weight Gain 3000 "Beefcake" to get him fat. J/K. ) The vet looked at him and gave some recommendations... he's getting better, but he still could use a few pounds. Also, he's also pretty slab-sided, plus has had some back issues due his SI (hunters bump), which doesn't help.

I just ordered a Thinline Trifecta pad (w/o the sheepskin), but in the meantime I'll borrow someone's half pad to see if that helps. The only other one I have is a Supracor pad, and it seems to pinch his withers. Prior to this, I was using a regular Thinline pad.

Subk -- I don't really notice myself fighting for position, but I do have pretty long legs... maybe that sort of counterbalances it...?
                              Road to the T3D
                              Translation

Comment

Originally posted by FrittSkritt View Post

MVP - He's a 9 y/o OTTB gelding, 16.1 hh. We're working on building up his topline, he lost quite a bit over the winter and has been in a regular program for that. He's on the slim side and has been notoriously hard to keep weight on. (Don't worry, we've been feeding him Weight Gain 3000 "Beefcake" to get him fat. J/K. ) The vet looked at him and gave some recommendations... he's getting better, but he still could use a few pounds. Also, he's also pretty slab-sided, plus has had some back issues due his SI (hunters bump), which doesn't help.

I just ordered a Thinline Trifecta pad (w/o the sheepskin), but in the meantime I'll borrow someone's half pad to see if that helps. The only other one I have is a Supracor pad, and it seems to pinch his withers. Prior to this, I was using a regular Thinline pad.

Subk -- I don't really notice myself fighting for position, but I do have pretty long legs... maybe that sort of counterbalances it...?
                                Thanks for the info. Those horse might be the type that loses muscle and fat in the "wrong" places first and too easily.

You have a good plan-- more groceries, work on the top line and some half pads to borrow and try. Seriously. Give all that some time to work before you saddle hunting.
                                The armchair saddler
                                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Working...
                                X