• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Corn Cob Bedding - my experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn Cob Bedding - my experience

My husband picked up a 900 pound bale of corn cob bedding from Rural King last month and I wanted to share my experience using them. I was reluctant to try them because of another thread where it didn't go so well...but it was only 90.00 so I thought I'd give it a try.

I have 5 stalls and used cobs in 3, shavings in 2. The corn cob lacks that "pine fresh scent" and have a musky, odd scent; it isn't foul but it does take some getting used to. The horses nibbled them at first but that lasted a few mouthfuls and they were over it. I asked my vet about the safety and he said it's 100% fiber and won't hurt them anyway. Even the goat didn't eat very much of it (the pony ate more than anyone, he was the last to transition to cobs for my fear of discovering a pinto balloon in the morning - but he seemed unaffected and eventually quit eating them altogether).

Pros:
    Side by side, the cobs absorb WAAAY better than the shavings.
    There was no "cement dust" or "silt" at all, as described in another post.
    Easy to rake and pick and I wasted less clean cobs than shavings while picking.
    They came in a large bale that stays in a cube - easy to store with no stacking.
    No plastic packaging to open every time.
    No shavings in tails.

The cons:
    They can be slippery like small pea gravel if they dribble into the aisle.
    A full stall of cob didn't seem as comfy as shavings...but everyone behaved normally in their stalls when they were in them. I don't stall for any longer than overnight, and that's not every night anyway.
    I didn't perfect a way of scooping so when I got to the bottom of the bale it hurt my back to scoop them out - this would be no issue if we had a place to store them in the same way bulk shavings are stored (in a pile), but I don't.
    The 900 pound bale was not an issue for us, but it could be if one doesn't have the right equipment....unless you have them load it on your truck and just dump them like shavings (slicing the bale open would do it).

So overall, I really liked them. It's hard to get past the lack of scent (pine) in a stall....but as far as price and absorbancy, they are better than shavings for me. I wanted to share this info in case anyone else is considering using them. Hope this is helpful!

How do you think they would work in a run in shed? It's been a long frozen wet winter and and a cold wet spring so the shed could use some freshening.

Comment

I think they would work just like shavings would in a shed. We use them (although we make our own) in our barn which currently has around 21 horses. They're less dusty than shavings too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, I think they'd be fine in a run in! I forgot to mention that they aren't as dusty - another person on another thread must have had some processed differently than what I have because she said hers were horribly dusty.

Comment

I had some a while back for the bird cage (overkill for budgies) but I actually liked them in the cat litter box. Just wish there was a step between the expensive bird size bag and #900

Comment

Don't they sell it by the bag (pellet bedding size bag) at Tractor Supply?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
              Don't they sell it by the bag (pellet bedding size bag) at Tractor Supply?
              I'm sure they do...just not sure if it's as cost effective.

Comment

I was thinking for Alagirl who wants to use it for cat litter.

Comment

also, "World Best Cat Litter" is corn cob based. I think it runs about $20 a bag. Super effective at absorbing. Never really thought about using it for horses. Makes sense I guess, since their stall is basically one giant litter box

Comment

Thanks for the review. I just bought 2 bags at TSC, because they were out of Equine Fresh pelleted bedding. It was either that or shavings and I cannot stand shavings and the amount of waste (for environmental reasons AND I am lazy and don't want to drag more wheelbarrowfuls out!)

I haven't used them yet because I have been keeping my guys out when the weather is nice - no sense in wasting bedding when it is getting ridiculously expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by KateKat View Post
                      also, "World Best Cat Litter" is corn cob based. I think it runs about $20 a bag. Super effective at absorbing. Never really thought about using it for horses. Makes sense I guess, since their stall is basically one giant litter box
                      lol, yeah, saw that, but I consider corn kernels food, not something to poop in

I think you can get cracked corn cheaper than that...

Comment

I'd be interested in an analysis of the corn cob bedding vs wood pellets. The pros about ease of cleaning apply to the pellets too, so I'd be interested in learning which one tops out over the other. If there is a lower dust-factor with the corn cob bedding over pellets (mine don't pee munch, so the stalls get dusty, even with watering down), then I would be interested in transitioning.

I have one on stall rest right now...could make for a semi-entertaining project? Not like I have anything better to do!
                        "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

We got some of the corncob stuff free to compare it to pellets and we hated it. It didn't break down the same and didn't absorb any pee. So bad we almost didn't use the rest of it.
                          http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I tried the corn cob stuff from TSC. I thought it wasn't as attractive (not that it matter that much in Poop LOL), but had a funky smell once it was wet, and seemed to pack down, get cement-y. After a couple days it just was icky.

I much prefer soft wood pelleted bedding. I found that SS now seels their own labeled brand that's actually American Wood Fibers product. It's cheaper than almost anything else, and works great. Not sure if you could get bulk from AWF. Used to you could.
                            "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Comment

We tried corn cob pellets and didn't care for their performance. Not a big pellet bedding fan anyway but the added thing about the corn cob pellets is the smell. It smelled like wet corn mash on the bottom of a week old water bucket. We clean 7 days a week on mats so it wasn't our cleaning methods. But before you entered the barn, you were hit with this cheap moonshine smell!
                              ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

• Original Poster

I wonder if the consistency depends on the processing method? Ours are very absorbent, not dusty or "cement like" whatsoever, rather chunky in fact. And they aren't actually corn alagirl ...just the ground up, dried corn COB.

There were a couple kernels here and there though (I have seen 2 in the 900 pound bale).

As for the wood pellets - I would like to try them again but hated the dust and the heaviness when wet, but I'm willing to compare it to the cob if I can get a good price. I don't think they absorb close to what this cob bedding is absorbing (having using WP in the past). I like the smell of wp so much better.

The smell of the cob is different but not nearly as bad in my barn as winfieldfarm described for hers. Although I have only 3 stalls bedded in cob, and my horses are only stalled no more than a night. I think it would be kind of icky for a large barn with horses stalled. I can imagine it would smell quite potent then.

Comment

One BIG Caveat

I tried cobs for about 6 months & was liking them a lot.
                                  No smell, the ones I used - Beck's - were not dusty & cheaper than shavings.
                                  Wet spots clumped and picked out easily....

All that said:
                                  One of my horses developed SAD w/heaves around month 3.

A friend told me she had researched cobs & found they caused similar symptoms in dairy cattle from bacteria that grew on the cobs.

After 3 months on Ventipulmin I removed the last of the cobs from my stalls & 3 months after that (w/o the meds) horse's lungs were completely clear.
                                  Vet told me if he hadn't seen him at the first sign he would never guess the SAD had happened.

So those of you wanting to try cob bedding, please keep an eye on any horse that might have or develop respiratory issues.
                                  *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                  Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                  Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by lcw579 View Post
                                    How do you think they would work in a run in shed? It's been a long frozen wet winter and and a cold wet spring so the shed could use some freshening.
                                    We bed sick pen, weaned heifers and close up cows on it (due to calve in a couple weeks) and I like it much better than straw. It keeps them up off the ground better and doesn't seem to get as "icky". We scrape and clean our sheds once a week and re-bed, so I don't know how well it would hold up without regular maintenance.
                                    Originally posted by The Saddle
                                    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
                                      I tried cobs for about 6 months & was liking them a lot.
                                      No smell, the ones I used - Beck's - were not dusty & cheaper than shavings.
                                      Wet spots clumped and picked out easily....

All that said:
                                      One of my horses developed SAD w/heaves around month 3.

A friend told me she had researched cobs & found they caused similar symptoms in dairy cattle from bacteria that grew on the cobs.

After 3 months on Ventipulmin I removed the last of the cobs from my stalls & 3 months after that (w/o the meds) horse's lungs were completely clear.
                                      Vet told me if he hadn't seen him at the first sign he would never guess the SAD had happened.

So those of you wanting to try cob bedding, please keep an eye on any horse that might have or develop respiratory issues.
                                      Thank you for that info. We are using the same brand (Beck's out of Atlanta, IN). I do have a horse with seasonal allergies and she is one of the horses I still have on shavings because I remember reading *something* and so I've been reluctant to put her on anything that may trigger her allergies. It's been a month though and this week she began coughing, but this is normal for her at this time of year (we put her on meds spring an fall). It will be difficult to tell wether it is seasonal or due to the cobs. I wonder if having them in the barn, but not in her stall will still be an issue?

Comment

pelleted corn cob bedding

I've been using corn cob pellets from Best Cob for about 6 months now. You can find some info on their site at www.bestcob.com/retail-products/horse-bedding. As far as dust is concerned, I'm yet to see anything, as far as bedding is concerned, that doesn't have some kind of dust, eventually.
                                        That said, the corn cob pellets are def the way to go. They absorb a ridiculus amount of urine [ advertised to be about 13 times as much as wood chips ] and picking manure out of it is a snap. After urine hits it, it dries out fast and eventually leaves little lumps to pick out with your manure fork. I take these " lumps " and throw them out in my arena area, which, when it's extremely wet, is also know as my sacrific area because it can turn into a mud hole in the early spring. Mother nature washes out the urine and the sun dries it back out faster then plain old mud. It mixes well with the dirt and is great for adding substance to the dirt for when it rains. You can also take it right out and spread in your pasture. You can use it as mulch on your plants or garden and it compost in about 6 months when mixed with your manure.
                                        Beleive me, this stuff has it all over anything I've ever seen in the last 50 years. There really isn't any waste as once you've taken it out of your barn you can use it else where, beside the manure pile!
                                        You really should put down about 8 bags of the pellets for a 12 x 12 stall. You can lightly mist it with water if you want it to start getting " fluffy " sooner, which I did the first time I used it. Now I just empty out the bag and, in about two days, some of it will start fluffing by itself. I've still got complete pellets in the bedding that have been in the barn for the last two months. I might average adding one bag a week and that's with three stalls, which are opened, except at feeding time, to make a 12 x 36 foot area. The " kids " have two areas inside the barn which they like to stand or lay down in. These are also the areas they like to pee in so they're the only areas where I really need to pick up the " urine clumps ". The rest of the bedding, which they tend to move to the outsides of their bedding areas, I just rake, with the manure fork, back into the areas they like to lay down in.
                                        One other thing I've found out is you can't expect just the bedding to take care of the ammonia odor. I lightly sprinkle a product called PDZ which I also get at TSC. I use about a bag every two weeks and it cost around $10 a bag. The corn cob pellets cost $6.99 a 40 lb bag at TSC.
                                        Give it a try folks, you'll love it and it will def take care of a ridiculus bedding bill and has a whole lot more uses. I have no idea what a corn cob bale is so I can't comment on that.
                                        One last thing, Best Cob uses only water and steam for producing the pellets so there's nothing that's not natural used in their production process. Their bedding doesn't have a " smell " of it's own.

Comment

Working...
                                        X