• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I can't take it anymore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
    That's the part that gets me. Someone is preggers and immediately horse/etc has to go. Why?? I still rode while preggers and could still feed and call the shoer when } couldn't ride. The horses held down the pasture while I had whichever kid and life went on as usual. Gave lessons and still bought and sold horses. Never stopped me, might have slowed me down but I never quit on horses or dogs.
    Because sometimes there is more to the story. Like the person in question is (suddenly) a single mom. Or the horse is young and owner will lack the time; allowing the horse to sit would not be beneficial to the horse. Horses are expensive, kids are too. If I'd have had a kid a certain points in my life earlier (and it happens, even when you are on the pill/have an IUD/use condoms/etc), the horses would have had to go. Each person's situation, abilities, etc are unique.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

You never know the circumstances of some of those people. My older sister had a stroke a month ago. I found her on the floor of her house, where she had been lying for 3 days. She has a dog and a cat who are suddenly homeless. She survived, but from the way it looks, she may never be able to go home again.

My husband and I live in the city in a smallish house and already have 2 cats, a parrot and a diabetic dog who is not extraordinarily hard to care for, but must be fed and have insulin on a schedule. We really can't afford nor do we have room for another animal, but my nephew and his wife want to put the cat on Craigslist, so we may try to fit the poor kitty in here.

My 89 year old father is taking care of the dog for now, but his health is not all that great. We are trying to take responsibility for animals that are not ours, but it is hard, now that somebody has to visit and try to advocate for my sister's health on pretty much a daily basis. (That's me, because my nephew and other siblings live 4 hours away.)

I thought having to euth my 25 y.o. horse was sad until the next day, when I found my sister. Really, there are plenty of asshats in the world, but most people are just trying to make it through. I have been judgmental in the past, but have found out how quickly normal life can go haywire.

Comment

Originally posted by cu.at.x View Post
        our local kill buyer is actually a fairly decent horseman

You lost all credibility with me with that oxymoronic statement.

Re: economic circumstances, I know. I haven't had a steady job in one year. Every month is a struggle to pay rent. But not one single animal has suffered because of me. I'd do whatever it took me to rehome a horse in my possession, or else I don't know how I could live with myself.
        But sometimes people have done all they can. It is not black and white and just because you have been lucky thus far does not mean your life could not take a dramatic and unexpected turn.

And whether you like it or not, the local kill buyer refereed to is a person in business to sell horses and some of them are not die hard scum as you idealistically believe. Maybe most of them are but not all of them.

Comment

You lost all credibility with me with that oxymoronic statement.

Re: economic circumstances, I know. I haven't had a steady job in one year. Every month is a struggle to pay rent. But not one single animal has suffered because of me. I'd do whatever it took me to rehome a horse in my possession, or else I don't know how I could live with myself.
          And you, my dear, have a very closed mind if you think that a kill buyer can't be a good judge of horseflesh and have the smarts to handle them well AND know that he can make more profit by picking them up cheap at auctions and selling to private buyers rather than for meat.

Congrats on having a job for the last year.....my county of about 6500 people has more than 14% unemployment with the largest employer not even being in business for the last 2 years....ie....NO JOBS for about 1000 people....and most of the rest of the jobs are part time and minimum wage.
          Colored Cowhorse Ranch
          www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
          Northern NV

Comment

Life's hard to take when you are so much better than everyone!!
            Jigga:
            Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

To Maxiford: Sorry to hear about your sister. Best wishes for her. Thank you for sharing your story which is a perfect example of real life going wrong.
              Jigga:
              Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
                And you, my dear, have a very closed mind if you think that a kill buyer can't be a good judge of horseflesh and have the smarts to handle them well AND know that he can make more profit by picking them up cheap at auctions and selling to private buyers rather than for meat.
                I didn't say he wasn't a good businessman. I disagree with your statement that he is a "decent horseman." How can someone who profits off of horse slaughter be considered a "horseman" (or woman?)

Congrats on having a job for the last year....
                I said I have not had a job for a year. Read. For. Comprehension. I guess your opinion that I am out of touch with the economic situation in this country is not supported by the facts about me.
                I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by saultgirl View Post
                  Life's hard to take when you are so much better than everyone!!
                  Yes, compassion for animals surely is a condescending trait to have.

Comment

cu.at.x, if you have not had a steady job for a year, you are simply purely lucky to not have had to give up your animals. I imagine you have some sort of support? And/or you keep your horse(s) at home? I consider my animals part of my family - I would sacrifice anything for them (and currently am sacrificing a lot for them, $1,000/month MIN in horse-related bills - from feed to board, etc - could really help elsewhere! Nvm the dog and other small animals). I acquired these animals in better times (and had no way of foreseeing the future - and take note I am very careful with my finances!), but circumstances changed and at several points, I was not even sure what was going to happen with my horses in particular. Lucky for me, out of sheer dumb luck, things have gone right *knock on wood!* and I have been able to survive and keep all my animals (while leasing out two of the horses, which is in their best interests anyways). Hopefully things continue to go well and within a few months I will be able to breathe easier, and by this time next year I've got a nice sum tucked away for emergency plus all debt paid off, but I am well aware that if something were to happen tomorrow, some of the horses would have to go. It often does not take much for one's luck to change.
                    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't have a horse. Haven't for 5+ years. Can't even afford lessons right now, actually.

Comment

That makes things a lot easier. Like I said, sheer dumb luck sometimes. I hope you do not have to learn the hard way one day.
                        ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

How can someone who profits off of horse slaughter be considered a "horseman" (or woman?)
                          Same way someone who profits of cow slaughter can be called a cattleman.

Not everyone thinks slaughter is the worst fate that can befall a horse.

I think it takes a different mindset and a more practical/hard approach, but I have respect for the local kill buyer too. They do a (sadly) needed job, and try their best to do the best for the horses that come their way.

Allowing horses loose into the desert is worse, or abondonning them at the auction...or leaving them so suffer and die of "natural causes" when they can't afford to get the vet out...

Coloredcowhorse, does your area not have rendering plants to dispose of carcasses?

Life can change suddenly and unexpectedly. When you have other people depending on you (like kids/elderly parents/spouse), sometimes the horses/pets are sacrificed. I hope to never be in that position, and I feel for those that are.

I do agree it is sad that there are so many free/unwanted pets and horses, but I am glad there are more networks than ever to try to place these animals, and it is a shame when people are judged negatively for using these networks.
                          Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok, my definition of horseman is different. A horseman, to me, is someone who spends his life caring for horses. Caring for horses, in my opinion, does not include sending them on a long ride to a horrible death in Canada or Mexico.

The biggest problem I have with horse slaughter, as with all large-scale slaughter, is the way the horses are (mis)treated prior to slaughter and the way they are killed. I don't consider myself a "cow lover", but I do not support their unnecessary suffering-I don't buy factory farmed beef-in the same way that as a horse lover, I don't support the practices of the horse slaughter industry. I simply don't understand how people can know what goes on (the information is readily available including USDA's own reports), condone it, and still call themselves "horse lovers".

It's not enough to compare horse slaughter to horses being turned loose to starve to death. Both are horrible ends. Why aren't we looking at the cause of the problem-overbreeding-instead of debating how to dispose of all the unwanted horses?

I would not personally have a problem with horses being killed for meat if the process were humane. I understand that not everyone shares my sentiments about horses; to many, they are livestock, and I wouldn't want anyone telling me I don't have a right to my steak. As passionate as I am, being anti-horse slaughter I'm just as passionate against factory farming, because they both cause animals to suffer unnecessarily.

Comment

Factory farmed beef Have you ever worked on a ranch and on a feedlot?

Anyways, this is deserving of a spinoff thread if you really want to discuss slaughter. Consider continuing one of the many threads already out there though as opposed to starting a new (repetitive) one.
                              ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by naturalequus View Post
                                Factory farmed beef Have you ever worked on a ranch and on a feedlot?
                                What do you call it then? Feedlot beef? Doesn't change how horrible standing in 3 feet of manure and eating a completely unnatural and unsafe to humans diet is. (causes pathogenic bacteria to proliferate in the gut which ends up in the meat via slaughter)

Anyways, this is deserving of a spinoff thread if you really want to discuss slaughter. Consider continuing one of the many threads already out there though as opposed to starting a new (repetitive) one.
                                I did not start the slaughter discussion, someone else did (can't remember who now.) I really didn't want to get into it, since I know how bullheaded some people are about being for horse slaughter. I wonder if they actually worked in a horse slaughter plant, how long would they last?

Comment

Right. Well I was actually raised on a working cattle ranch (we even slaughtered some of our own cattle on our property), have experience working on a number of other ranches, have extensive cattle experience (working, feeding, showing, raising, training), have spent time working in feedlots, and have been in the slaughter plants (and have friends who have worked in them), so I beg your pardon if my opinion VASTLY differs from yours, due to EXPERIENCE. I actually find the term "factory farm" as it applies to ranches and feedlots, offensive; terms PETA and other such ill-informed, ill-educated, and extreme organisations have incorrectly pushed. I am not saying there is no room for improvement (ESPECIALLY for horses!), but to label feedlots and ranches "factory farms" and imply all cattle stand in 3 feet of muck (ever heard of foot rot?) and consume an unsafe diet, is an absolute fallacy. Anyways, I never asked who started the conversation about slaughter; spinoff away should you wish to continue.
                                  ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Ok, I concede that there may be circumstances where people have literally tried EVERYTHING but still can't find a place where they can take their pet/s. I just have a feeling that's not true for most of the people dumping their pets on CL and elsewhere. To me, a pet is like a family member-they're with me for life. Maybe because when I was a kid I always had a great love for my animals but my parents were, shall we say, not very responsible and I felt so helpless.

I did not mention this in my first post but I am especially disturbed by people dumping their horses at auction. In that case, I do not care what your circumstance is. Most of us have had financial problems but we don't all run to the auction to get a couple hundred bucks out of a horse that will likely be brutally killed. If you can't afford to keep your horse and you can't sell or re-home it, the most humane thing to do is to put it down. I have heard people use the excuse that it costs $200-300 to euth a horse-okay then, a bullet to the head is still better than the alternative.

FWIW many equine vets won't euth what they consider to be a healthy horse.
                                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                                    Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                                      Same way someone who profits of cow slaughter can be called a cattleman.

Not everyone thinks slaughter is the worst fate that can befall a horse.

I think it takes a different mindset and a more practical/hard approach, but I have respect for the local kill buyer too. They do a (sadly) needed job, and try their best to do the best for the horses that come their way.

Allowing horses loose into the desert is worse, or abondonning them at the auction...or leaving them so suffer and die of "natural causes" when they can't afford to get the vet out...

Coloredcowhorse, does your area not have rendering plants to dispose of carcasses?

Life can change suddenly and unexpectedly. When you have other people depending on you (like kids/elderly parents/spouse), sometimes the horses/pets are sacrificed. I hope to never be in that position, and I feel for those that are.

I do agree it is sad that there are so many free/unwanted pets and horses, but I am glad there are more networks than ever to try to place these animals, and it is a shame when people are judged negatively for using these networks.
                                      Thank you.
                                      Yes...we do see horses turned out in the desert here as people have the "Cloud" or "Spirit" view of the world that their horse will somehow happily survive on scrub growth (there is grass for maybe 6 weeks of the spring) and walking 20-30 miles daily to get to water and grazing and don't realize that if their domestic horse with his well cared for feet goes lame he'll be eaten alive by the coyotes....a lame horse is a dead horse out here.
                                      There is one rendering plant in the entire northern part of the state and they used to come out once a week (summer time this makes things really stinky)...with fuel prices going up it looks like this may no longer be available either....they are about 120 miles from me.
                                      Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                                      Northern NV

Comment

What do you call it then? Feedlot beef? Doesn't change how horrible standing in 3 feet of manure and eating a completely unnatural and unsafe to humans diet is. (causes pathogenic bacteria to proliferate in the gut which ends up in the meat via slaughter)
                                        Here we go....someone with no experience going on about how horrid things are.

Cattle raised here and through most of the western US are on rangeland.....yep....areas that may take anywhere from 20-50 acres to support ONE cow and her calf....for much of their lives. The steers (castrated male cattle) are brought in and fed hay...usually (at least in every feed lot I've seen) very nice alfalfa. There's a feed lot here that handles up to 20,000 head of cattle at a time....the pens are about 1-2 acres each up to about 5 acres. The manure is scooped out with front end loaders every couple of days.....foot rot is just nasty and causes losses of weight/condition. The cattle are moved from hay to hay and grain as they approach finished condition.

The biggest contamination of meat occurs in the cutting and packaging and the bacteria most often is e.coli....a bacteria common in the guts of all animals including humans.
                                        Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                                        Northern NV

Comment

Originally posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
                                          Here we go....someone with no experience going on about how horrid things are.

Cattle raised here and through most of the western US are on rangeland.....yep....areas that may take anywhere from 20-50 acres to support ONE cow and her calf....for much of their lives. The steers (castrated male cattle) are brought in and fed hay...usually (at least in every feed lot I've seen) very nice alfalfa. There's a feed lot here that handles up to 20,000 head of cattle at a time....the pens are about 1-2 acres each up to about 5 acres. The manure is scooped out with front end loaders every couple of days.....foot rot is just nasty and causes losses of weight/condition. The cattle are moved from hay to hay and grain as they approach finished condition.

The biggest contamination of meat occurs in the cutting and packaging and the bacteria most often is e.coli....a bacteria common in the guts of all animals including humans.

LOL, don't confuse the issue with facts
                                          I wasn't always a Smurf
                                          Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                          "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                          The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X