• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ordering online, VENT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering online, VENT

So, I made two orders two weeks ago from two different stores.

The first store I ordered a turnout and got a GREAT price. It shipped, made it here in about two days and I tried it on my pony... too big. WAY too big. So I shipped it back for an exchange. Two weeks ago Friday. Shipped UPS, should have made it there by Wed. I didn't hear anything- no confirmation that it had been delivered, my new package shipped, nothing. I figured I should have my new one by Monday, Tuesday at the latest. In the meantime, I'm waiting to body clip my horse till the new sheet comes in. I keep waiting... and waiting... finally, I email the store on Wednesday, wondering when my new sheet should arrive.

They call me later that morning- the sheet I wanted has been sold out, sorry. Okay- when did you receive my package back? Last Wednesday. Why didn't you notify me that the item I wanted was sold out a week ago? We were waiting to see if one came back in stock. Fair enough. But, if I'd known a week ago, I could have snagged a similar sheet from another store who was having a huge blowout sale, and I'm now I'm up a creek, no sheet for my horse, a week later when I wanted to body clip him and likely won't be able to clip him for ANOTHER week because I need to find something.

So, they offer me a refund, or similar sheet that they do have in stock- for $25 more that I was planning to spend on the MUCH nicer, first sheet, or they can order the sheet I ordered at full price- 25% more.

At some point, the store rep said "Oh, yes, these blankets do run big. About 6 inches too big." I mentioned a note on the website would be nice to order not ONE but TWO sizes down from what a horse would normally wear. No reaction.

So, I asked to mull it over for awhile and I would call back that day with my decision. I called back about two hours later asking for a compromise, of sorts. I'd pay full price for the lesser sheet if they could switch out the neck cover for me, she said she would check and call me back.

1.5 business days later, I still have not heard a thing back from them. I'm hoping they're going to get one of the original sheet I ordered back in stock because they run SO BIG, but I don't know how long I want to wait to find this out, and I'm still peeved about the lack of communication I've had thus far.

The ordered a pair of tall boots from the other store. Mine had kicked it right before winter and I've been wearing my winter boots since, no biggy. I finally ordered the pair I needed last week so I could have them when the weather turned, which is... now.

I got a notice that the ones I ordered were sold out, but they had the mens/unisex size with the same calf width and height in stock, making them 50% off and they'd shipped them! GREAT!

Well, I received them today and I do believe the dimensions are the same in the men's and woman's... but not the men's and woman's WIDE which is what I ordered. I just got those when I got home tonight, so I haven't contacted the store yet, and I have no doubt they'll make it right, its just frustrating that I'll have to wear my winter boots for another week or two while I wait for these to be shipped back, credited back and hopefully find the new ones to be ordered and shipped.

So. Frustrating.
    Big Idea Eventing

So shop local where you can see feel and touch the product.

One solution.

Comment

I don't know about Epona, but I like 3-4 hours from a decent tack shop. Online shopping is pretty much my only option. It can be very frustrating. Especially for riding clothes!!

Sorry Epona! I shipped 2 packages back this week. One to SmartPak and one to Equestrian Collections!
      "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by howardh View Post

One solution.
        Not an option in my area... wish it was. I'd pay extra to put my hands on a product before shelling out the cash.
        Big Idea Eventing

Comment

One solution.
          Oh how I would love this! But sadly many areas have only one tack store; which affords no opportunity to bargain shop. It is also very limiting to the available brands and sizes (speaking for myself not the OP)

Comment

Can I add my own vent, since I've placed recent online orders through different companies???

* Smartpak (which I love): I placed an order on 2/4, a Friday. Didn't go through until 2/7, and I was told one item was out of stock. First package arrived in a week I think, second one on Tuesday. Unfortunately, I'll be sending it back as they are tall boots that won't be tall after they break in .

* Bad Pony Clothing: ordered one cute little baby pad around the same time, posted through PayPal on 2/8. Still not here, and in fact the MAILING date was 2/22. Huh.

* Beval: ordered two pads (can you tell mine fell apart at the same time?) a week later, no confirmation email and the purchase posted to my bank on 2/22. To be fair, I was told that one pad had to come from somewhere else...but really, no idea when those might come in.

Gr!
            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Oh yeah, and of my local stores, one if mostly a feed and western gear store and the other has prices high enough to commit suicide with.
              COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Well, nothing against bargain shopping, but things are often on closeout or sale for a reason!

Manufacturers who make product overseas often have issues with inconsistent quality. The boots you used to buy and love suddenly are a little different for example! The pad you loved is now sewn differently...

Happens ALL the time.

It is frustrating to be sure.

Sometimes when you bargain shop you spend a lot more in the long run than if you bought a good product from the start.

Can you do Craigslist?

Comment

I will join in on the vent too! Dover Saddlery. I have ordered from them countless times and have had nothing but success.

Enter Christmas. I get a few items as gifts that are too big, etc - so I send in an exchange.

FOUR AND A HALF WEEKS LATER I sign onto customer service to ask where the heck my order is. Turns out, it was on hold because one order was no longer available.

Were they ever going to call me and let me know??? I guess we'll never know....

Just received the exchange last Friday. One item was missing. ARGH.
                  http://ridingthroughthefear.blogspot.com/
                  www.facebook.com/ThaliaFarm

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, nothing against bargain shopping, but things are often on closeout or sale for a reason!

Manufacturers who make product overseas often have issues with inconsistent quality. The boots you used to buy and love suddenly are a little different for example! The pad you loved is now sewn differently...

Happens ALL the time.

It is frustrating to be sure.

Sometimes when you bargain shop you spend a lot more in the long run than if you bought a good product from the start.

Can you do Craigslist?
                    Really? The items I bought are Rambo and Mountain Horse. Hardly "bargain brands." The first is an end of season closeout and the second I was going to pay full price for, but the store had everything IN their store on sale 50% off.

I don't know what people sell on YOUR craigslist, but size 11W Mountain Horse field boots don't often show up on mine.
                    Big Idea Eventing

Comment

1. If you're in a hurry for something, or it's an absolute "must have" item, place your order by phone.

2. While on the phone, confirm any details you may wonder about with someone who can actually look at the product.

3. While on the phone, confirm whether or not it's in-stock or back ordered.

3. While on the phone, confirm shipping date.

4. While on the phone, confirm return details just in case.

You might spend all of 10 minutes on the phone to order a single product, but isn't that much better than waiting and wondering for weeks? That's not to say something still can't go wrong with phone orders (unexpected delay from manufacturer, for instance), but talking to someone can cut out a lot of the uncertainty most of the time.

Also... I know it's not always possible to extend your credit, but if it's something on closeout, limited quantity or other "special" sale, it's a good idea to simply order the next size/different color/whatever as soon as you find out the one you received doesn't work. That way, you might not miss out on a replacement that will work while the return is shipped and processed.
                      Patience pays.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
                        1. If you're in a hurry for something, or it's an absolute "must have" item, place your order by phone.

Also... I know it's not always possible to extend your credit, but if it's something on closeout, limited quantity or other "special" sale, it's a good idea to simply order the next size/different color/whatever as soon as you find out the one you received doesn't work. That way, you might not miss out on a replacement that will work while the return is shipped and processed.
                        Both VERY well received points. I definitely learned my lesson and think ordering over the phone is a must for now on.

I had thought the same thing about ordering the replacement when I sent back the original, but I simply didn't have enough money to have both on order, knowing it may take up to a week to get the first credited back to my card.
                        Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Originally posted by babyeventer23 View Post
                          I will join in on the vent too! Dover Saddlery. I have ordered from them countless times and have had nothing but success.

Enter Christmas. I get a few items as gifts that are too big, etc - so I send in an exchange.
                          yeah, don't order from Dover over Christmas... it's just not worth it i've stopped using them all together because of their insane ship rates

SmartPak has great products, but poor communication. I never get shipping confirmation emails

adams horse supply rules on price, free shipping over $100 and they carry great brands. They price match too, so if you can find it cheaper elsewhere... They can be lazy about answering the phone in the morning, but their email communication is spot on.

stateline tack another awesome one

sstack ( schneiders) is hands down my favorite company to talk to. the people have brains, want to help, and get my orders correct. couldn't be happier
                          www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                          chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I only do orders by phone.

except Dover, which I try to never do.
                            http://kaboomeventing.com/
                            http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                            Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Originally posted by eponacowgirl View Post
                              Not an option in my area... wish it was. I'd pay extra to put my hands on a product before shelling out the cash.
                              you're telling me that there aren't any good tack stores in or around Nashville, TN? I have a hard time buying that....

Comment

And then there is VTO Saddlery-I have never had anything but great customer service there. This afternoon I had the very nice person who answered the phone running all over the store looking for winter coats to see if they were actually in stock and trying them on for me to determine how they fit. We finally found one at her suggestion! And they are having the 15% off sale for 3 days.
                                RIP Mydan Mydandy+
                                RIP Barichello

Comment

I seriously would have had at least one call into way before.

But....I tend to be quite forceful with mail order companies, well any time that customer service is lacking.

Second the love for SS & Big D
                                  "The Friesian syndrome... a mix between Black Beauty disease and DQ Butterfly farting ailment." Alibi_18

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ArabDiva View Post
                                    you're telling me that there aren't any good tack stores in or around Nashville, TN? I have a hard time buying that....
                                    You're right, I'm lying.

There is Judy's tack, which carries a lot of H/J stuff and a very limited amount of other useful things.

There is also TSC and the Farmer's Co-op for buckets and fly spray.

And then there are the three tack shops 1.5 hours away in Shelbyville, which are very helpful if I'm trying to sore a walking horse or go trail riding.

At any rate, the first store called me back today and very graciously threw in an "extra" to the replacement for the first sheet I ordered, which made me very happy and I would consider "above and beyond" what they really should have offered me.

Still haven't heard back from the second store yet.
                                    Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Note: this advice is for anyone dealing with online vendors, not just the OP.

Suggestion: Definitely call to follow up, especially on exchanges and especially on end of season merchandise. This stuff tends to sell out quickly, but if you can get someone on the phone, they can tell you what is left.

If you are ever wondering "it should be here by now", don't wait a few more days, call THAT DAY. There could be a reason for the delay, like the post office has lost the package, the tack store has lost the order (and has no way to get in touch with you!), the return arrived, but there is no contact information in it.... lots of things can go wrong. The best thing to do is to call right away and find out what's up.

Comment

Equus Now, my favorite on line tack shop, www.equusnow.com will phone you ASAP if there's a problem with your on line order. Never had a problem with them. They get most of my business. I live in the same area as OP and we'd all love it if a better bricks and mortar tack shop were in the area.
                                        It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

Working...
                                        X