• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

FINAL UPDATE: All listed horses safe, drafts not shipped. See pg 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINAL UPDATE: All listed horses safe, drafts not shipped. See pg 8

So...I went over to check out the CBER feedlot page and what do I find? 14 Percheron draft mares (mostly black) and 4 Belgian mares on the lot looking for saviors. The lot is full, a shipment is imminent and these beautiful horses need help!

Draft Mares, check 'em out!

I'm no expert, but the prices seem really low for the size of the horses.

UPDATED TO ADD: More horses are now on the feedlot page...seems like the flood gates are opening!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org
  • Original Poster

So...I went over to check out the CBER feedlot page and what do I find? 14 Percheron draft mares (mostly black) and 4 Belgian mares on the lot looking for saviors. The lot is full, a shipment is imminent and these beautiful horses need help!

Draft Mares, check 'em out!

I'm no expert, but the prices seem really low for the size of the horses.

UPDATED TO ADD: More horses are now on the feedlot page...seems like the flood gates are opening!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

Comment

What a sweet looking bunch of mares. I hope they get snatched up by loving homes

Comment

Oh, Safehorses...didn't you read the other thread about the shipment of Drafts...they don't send Drafts to slaughter. At least that is what all of the "pro-slaughter" people were trying to make us believe.

I really hope these guys find homes. They're beautiful.

Comment

• Original Poster

LOL! Oh, that's right (hits head) what was I thinking?! Someone better break the bitter news to the feedlot owner!

Actually, there are lots more horses heading to the feedlot now...this is going to be a tough time for those of us trying to save them. The added bonus if you find one you have to have is that you'll be saving their lives!
          Until they are safe.
          www.safehorses.org

Comment

Oh my! I've always wanted one for hubby to ride. But unfortunately, we don't have any stalls left since Abe came. And especially not enough room for a foal too!

I so hope they all find great homes.
            I would like to think I will die an heroic death...

But it's more likely I'll trip over my dog and choke on a spoonful of frosting.

Comment

I don't know what the pro-slaughter folks are talking about. Japan, one of the biggest importer of foreign horsemeat, buys almost exclusively Draft meat. The meat has more fat and is more marbled, which they like, per my understanding.

Comment

• Original Poster

That's exactly right Schwung...I hear in Canada they are raised expressly for slaughter and are shipped live to Japan to be slaughtered there.
                Until they are safe.
                www.safehorses.org

Comment

The practice of shipping live horses to Japan has stopped due to cost of shipping. And they used to slaughter them on board and dump the remains over board to the sharks something thats no longer allowed.

There is a market in Japan for drafts Europe doesn't care for them much they prefer the 1000 lb young horse more. Drafts have a low dressing percentage so profit is lower. Plus they sell for about 1/2 live price as smaller ones due to the amount of bone.

The drafts at this resue look like good stock not sure what prices are like in that area here there very very low. Last week I was at a sale that had a pair of full brothers, Belgians, 7 and 8 years old. Broke to harness been used to plow, rake hay, pull sleigh etc. The pair with the harness and a Bob Sled brought $2800. At $1000 each for these untrained mares here your looking at about .15 to .20 a lb.
                  Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

We are going to have an Adopt-A-Thon this Sunday and Next Sunday, people need to put in their applications and be pre-approved by CBER and then they can pick out their Draftie BY APPOINTMENT ONLY so volunteers can be there to help you.

So if you are thinking of adopting one of these kids get your application in NOW....processing can take a couple days so you can go to the Adopt-A-Thon!

Please email your completed application to: Ashley4CBER@comcast.net

You can download the application on the CBER website.

Thank you,
                    Ashley
                    CBER Volunteer

Comment

It is frustrating from here in Wisconsin that I have to be there in person to pick up one of those mares to bring back home. I'd just focus on local rescue organizations in Wisconsin like Standardbred rescue place and the other one up north of here. Please do let us know if all of those mares are adopted by then. I pray for them.
                      Will get a dream horse!
                      More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Comment

CBER does handle out of state adoptions, transportation arrangements just need to be paid for and set up by the adopter. You can contact the volunteer listed near the horses photo for more info. and then send in an adoption application & pics of the place you plan to keep the horse for approval.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Prieta:
                          It is frustrating from here in Wisconsin that I have to be there in person to pick up one of those mares to bring back home. I'd just focus on local rescue organizations in Wisconsin like Standardbred rescue place and the other one up north of here. Please do let us know if all of those mares are adopted by then. I pray for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't think it was a requirement to be there in person. I remember someone in another thread that made arrangements for a horse to be shipped to her. Does anyone else know for sure if you must be present to get a horse?
                          No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

You don't have to be there to get a horse unless procedures have changed dramatically. Some people board them or have a foster home for them until they can arrange shipment. In the past, CBER people have made sure the horse has gotten off the lot and into safe care until it left for its permanent home. I imagine that's still being done. The contact person for the horse can give you the details.

Are you going to get one? Or several?

Comment

I called a hauler just to get an idea on the cost of shipment and got the quote. It is going to cost me 1200 per mare. So, it will be a total of 2200 per mare untrained. How do I justify the expense when I know of several drafts on sale around here for less than that? My husband will wonder where my head goes!
                              Will get a dream horse!
                              More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Comment

• Original Poster

Prieta, you might want to check out the SAFE/CBER BB...there is a subforum there dedicated to shipping and some of the adopters have found very good deals with great haulers.

The BB can be found at:
                                SAFE/CBER BB

Look under Horse Transport.
                                Until they are safe.
                                www.safehorses.org

Comment

I do not have the money to even bring one home and it kills me to see them.

Weston reminds me of my gelding and Shorty is a great looking little QH I bet he would be a blast to ride. And you just can't help but feel bad for Turk; I hate to see old horses tossed away like that.

I am going to send this link around and see if anyone is interested.

I was wondering why their prices are so high; they appear to be way over the meat price compared to the prices at Holland from the other thread.

Comment

• Original Poster

UPDATE: 3 of the drafts have sold, but there are plenty more left. If you are interested, keep checking the CBER feedlot page to see the new horses who get posted as soon as CBER can assess them and get them up on the site. With so many new horses, a shipment is imminent.
                                    Until they are safe.
                                    www.safehorses.org

Comment

Can't you guys put together a network of people to haul horses cross country? I and others do that alot with horses going from here in Mn. down to Tx. and Ok. for sales and shows.
                                      Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

I agree transportation is a big problem. If that same horse was in my area for $675 he may sell but when you have to tack another $1000 on there and purchase unseen it is a tuff sell. I try to pass this link off to people and when they see where the horses are they just shrug, the transportation is more than the horse.

In Mississippi we have no rescues or feed lot sales and the one horse sales we had was shut down due to low prices.

I remember watching a show on the Greyhound rescues; volunteers were transporting the dogs all over the states to get them placed. One volunteer would bring them a certain distance and then another would meet them and pick up the dog and bring him the rest of the way.

Like I said I can’t afford another horse right now just brain storming because I hate seeing these horses in these feed lots. I know of one person in WY that might be able to spread the word; I will pass the link to them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X