• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anybody tired of paying over $3.00 for fuel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody tired of paying over $3.00 for fuel?

I am so angry about the fuel prices, it has impacted me on a daily basis and in more ways than sobbing at the tanks while I fuel up my truck. It impacts the cost of food, and feed, and hay and everything. Yet, EXXON has the never to beat their chests and gloat over the fact that 2007 was their most profitable year. I received the following e-mail today and it makes good sense ... I think that it is time that the Americans on the board remembered that our ancestors didn't take these kinds of wrongs sitting down .... so, what do you think:

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
    It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
    BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. &nbs p; Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.98 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
    But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
    Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Keep it going

I've read this before, and I dont' buy there anyway-I live in a small town, and their price is $3.19gal! I'm lucky though and recently bought a GeoMetro! Great on gas...but still -the price of everything else is ridiculous.

Unless we start carpooling, combine trips to the grocery, etc. there will be no impact. I say-everyone stay home every weekend for a month-or make a huge effort to not buy gas on SAt-Sun. Yes, we need gas...but we need to be smart, go to the store with neighbors, put together neighborhood groups. If you need to go somewhere and are low on gas...ask your neighbor if they're going to the store that day-and if so...ask if you can go alone. It's the only way to lower these prices. That, or the truckers go on strike again as they did the last time.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Comment

Well, that sounds more likely to work than the "don't buy gas for a day" strategy, but as long as I am surrounded by people who ask "Why am I fat?" out of one side of their mouth while cramming a supersize Big Mac Meal in the other side, I remain jaded and slightly hopeless about the ability of the population to practice restraint and long-term planning. I'd love to hear from economists on this board though, I know there have been some extremely interesting discussions about these kinds of things here before.

HR: I can't buy a truck and trailer at this point to haul with because I can't afford the gas, I'm sticking with my Honda and relying on others to take me places infrequently. That's horse related.
      Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

Heck, I wish I was only paying $3.00 for gas. My fill today was at $3.40.The good news is that because of the fuel prices, I was forced to get a 2nd job to help pay for my gas and horse feed. My second job is feeding horses!!!!!!! I love my second job. So if was not for the fuel prices, I would be missing out and all the extra snuggle time with horses.
        R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

Comment

It won't work just like the "don't buy gas for day" won't work.

Gasoline is a "fungible commodity." It's fed by a refinery into a pipelind. It then comes into a terminal from the pipleline. There it's picked up and then "branded" as each company adds its own package of addititves. Then it goes on a truck and gets delivered to a retail outlet. If you stop buying from one retail outlet the amount consumed stays exactly the same. You will just give you money to Retailer A vice Retailer B.

Will Retailer B lower prices to compete? Probably, but only until breakeven point. They may run a "loss leader" for a short period of time but nobody can run a loss forever.

If you want to save money on fuel then slow down. A 10% reduction in average speed will yeild a 20% increase in fuel economy. With the big vehicles that many of us have for pulling trailers that's a Big Deal.

G.
          Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Everybody's feeling the impact of gas prices in many facets of their lives, horsey in particular, as the OP noted.

To keep it horse-related, let's limit this discussion to the horse-related impact of gas prices and ways we can improve our personal situations they affect, and not focus on the potential economics of boycotting specific gas companies. Good suggestion to start Guilherme.

Thanks!
            Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 6, 2008, 11:30 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

My "solution" was to replace my 15 year old car (that already got 35mpg) with a car that gets 40mpg (Toyota Yaris). The truck is pretty much only used to pull the trailer a couple times a week on short mileage trips (20 miles round trip).
              Sandra

Comment

Doesn't anybody check snopes before passing things like this on? First, the people it's attributed to probably had nothing to do with it except they forwarded it at some point, as this thing has been around for years... second... well:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp
                "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

The problem with the "Don't Buy Gas On Whatever Day" strategy is that it doesn't reduce your overall consumption of gas. If you don't change your useage habits you continue to use the same amount of gas - whether you buy it on Saturday, Thursday, St. Patrick's Day, the Lunar Eclipse, or whatever doesn't matter. You'll still end up buying the same amount of gas if you keep the same lifestyle patterns.

What you CAN do to make an impact is change your routine to maximize your efficency and plan your gas useage better. For example, rather than go to work, go home to change and then go to the barn - just take your riding clothes with you and change at the barn. It sounds stupidly simple, but most of us take a few trips a week that could be eliminated. If you cut down the amount of mileage you are putting on the road, you are cutting down the amount of gas you are using.

Another example - I have a 45 minute commute and blast thru a TON of gas every week simply getting to and from work. My very kind and green-minded boss was kind enough to let me rearrang my schedule so that I work four 10 hour days instead of five eight hour days. That cuts an hour and a half of traveling (80 miles of driving!) out of my life every week!

Taking the math a little further - that cuts around 320 miles out of my monthly driving - assuming an average of 32 miles per gallon, that's about 10 gallons of gas each month that I DO NOT NEED TO BUY. Depending on the price of gas, that's anywhere from $31.00 - $38.50 that I'm not giving the gas companies.

It IS possible to make an impact, but it's more complicated than simply not buying gas on a specific day - it's about making a CHANGE in your habits. Unfortunately, a lot of people simply can't (you have to go to work, you have to pick up the kids, etc) or won't and so we're stuck in situations like this.
                  Whee!

Comment

Good Lord, why is this old chestnut still making the rounds?

OP are you aware that most gasoline stations are independently owned and operated, so all you're doing is taking money out of the pockets of the station owners, not the oil companies themselves?

The station owners have already paid for the gasoline in their underground tanks.

Plus, if you're not giving your money to one owner, you're giving it to another. Nothing will be obtained by boycotting the branded stations.

As others have said, individuals need to curb their own bad habits.
                    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

It's costing me $12-$15 per DAY just to drive to the barn and Home again, at $3.29 a gallon.And it's winter in NY, resulting in less than prime, weather, road and footing conditions..My BO is now officially in charge of Kissing and scritching my boy every day.
                      NY has very, very high gas and road taxes.I have friends who live on the borders of NJ and Pa and actually drive 10 minutes out of their way to fill up in another state.

I was anxiously awaiting the ready availability of ethanol, until I read the article that told me that ethanol actually reduces the fuel efficiency of any vehicle by 20-25%, and takes a HUGE amount of water to produce. Just what the drought affected areas of the country need, right??
                      Go, Baby, Go......
                      Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Comment

I think the only solution is to ride our horses to work instead of our cars. The only down fall is that it would take me hours to ride, where as it takes me 45 minutes to drive. Now to find a job closer to home.
                        R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

Comment

Deisel in Ontario is $1.13 per litre 3.78x 1.13 ='s $4.27 pergallon

Comment

Originally posted by Candle View Post
                            ...as long as I am surrounded by people who ask "Why am I fat?" out of one side of their mouth while cramming a supersize Big Mac Meal in the other side, I remain jaded and slightly hopeless about the ability of the population to practice restraint and long-term planning.
                            Too true.
                            Originally posted by Irish Ei's
                            I was anxiously awaiting the ready availability of ethanol, until I read the article that told me that ethanol actually reduces the fuel efficiency of any vehicle by 20-25%, and takes a HUGE amount of water to produce. Just what the drought affected areas of the country need, right??
                            Houston mandated the addition of ethanol (10% blend), so now we all pay more for less and then end up burning even more fuel. Some plan, eh? They warned that efficiency could drop as much as 10%, but I have seen almost 20% in my own vehicle. I doubt they will reverse the decision on ethanol any time soon though.
                            "I did know once, only I've sort of forgotten." - Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by snbess View Post
                              My "solution" was to replace my 15 year old car (that already got 35mpg) with a car that gets 40mpg (Toyota Yaris). The truck is pretty much only used to pull the trailer a couple times a week on short mileage trips (20 miles round trip).
                              Sandra
                              I tow my horse and use as a daily commuter a large SUV with a V8. I'm honestly thinking about getting a smaller car for daily driving and saving my SUV for towing only. It will cost a tad more in the beginning until I pay the car off, but in the long run I'll be ahead if these prices continue to be this high or higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Ei's View Post
                                And it takes a bit of energy to produce too, which requires the use of... fossil fuels!

And beyond making gas less efficient, subsidies for ethanol production mean higher hay and grain prices for us, to boot, since many producers switched to corn. yay!
                                "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

The diesel to pull my horse trailer and get my mares to the repro clinic to be bred and foaled out now costs $3.89/gallon and I know it's going up.
                                  Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
                                  Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

I filled my car up last night.

Petrol was £1.05 per litre, so $7.94 per US gallon.

Diesel was £1.11 per litre, so $8.40 per gallon

Your prices don't seem so bad now do they?

And before anyone comes out with that old 'but you drive smaller cars in Europe' chestnut, remember that most horse people have a very thirsty horse lorry to fill up...

Comment

I wish I was paying $3 gallon. Try $1.18/litre... that's $4.59/gallon given that USD and CAD are pretty much at par these days. they're predicting it will go to $1.40/l, or $5.44/gallon.

This will absolutly put a kink in my riding plans; I' drive 45min each way to the barn, so I'll be sticking with my half lease instead of shopping for my own.

STILL better than EE's costs tho. WOW!
                                      "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

You know, while it HURTS to pay that much more for gas, it's time for all of us to "get over it" and suck it up. People in Europe having been paying well over $3 a gallon for many years now. We've been pretty spoiled, and the big auto manufacturers and the oil/gas industry (supported by our government) in general have blown off efforts to reduce our dependence upon imported oil and create vehicles that are more fuel efficient and/or use alternative fuels. Now we are paying the price.

Comment

Working...
                                        X