• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

This HR - Weight Loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This HR - Weight Loss

I have lost almost 50 lbs since August. It makes a HUGE difference in my riding having less weight on me. I still am going to lose 30 lbs. I am going for the all time low weight. My old weight loss lowest is 10 lbs away. I want more.

The negative is non of my coats fit me anymore!

Also my center of gravity has changed on the horse. I have been riding mostly in my dressage saddle because I am relearning my center of gravity.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
    Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
    Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Congratulations! 50# is a huge loss, has to feel a lot different!
    Now you can go coat shopping.

Your body will relearn balance soon, your riding will continue to improve.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Comment

Congrats on the 50 lbs. !!! I have recently lost 25 lbs. and me and my trainer cannot believe the difference in my riding. It has been amazing and a great incentive to lose more!!
      RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
      May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
      RIP San Lena Peppy
      May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

awesome job! I need to get cracking on losing some before summer if I want to show. It makes such a huge difference in my endurance not to have to cart around the extra pounds.

What have you been doing to lose the weight?

Comment

Congrats! My excuse for allowing myself to gain 30# was my hip. but the weight just makes it a vicious circle of pain so I've been watching what I eat and taking the dog for good long walks. Keep on with it and reap the rewards - it's amazing what good losing and gaining fitness will do even if you choose to trailride, and your horse will thank you too!
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

Comment

So inspiring to read! I am only 8 lbs into my attempt to lose 35 lbs, so it's great to hear from people on the other side. So far my riding seems about the same, but I'm sure that will change...
            Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

I do Take Shape for Life which uses Medifast. The Medifast is 5 of their foods and one lean and green per day. I have many food allergies and this has addressed it. There is a transition phase which starts adding regular food into your diet, and than maintenance. My personal plan for maintenance is to join weight watchers again and use points to maintain. I always have had a major weight issue. I was up close to 300 lbs at one point before I rode horses again.

I do exercise 30-45 minutes a day. Once I hit my goal weight I will be able to exercise more because the calories are low.

I have dropped SO many bad habits: Daily chocolate, baked chips, 100 calories packs etc. I am almost never hungry.

I do get B12 shots because of a stomach disorder that I have.
              OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
              Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
              Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Comment

I lost 25lbs last year and am now close to my weight in college. Losing the weight has made a HUGE difference in the way I look and feel on a horse. And now that I have bought myself a 14.1hh pony I have a huge incentive to keep the weight off or I will look even more ridiculous.
                On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Congratulations! It's hard to get rid of the excess. I've been trying to drop a few pounds. It's hard. You have inspired me to keep trying!
                  Thank you...

~Roberta
                  www.findaridingbuddy.com

Comment

Congratulations. That's a wonderful accomplishment!

I lost about 12 lbs. since July and even that relatively small amount made me feel a LOT better and I believe helped my riding as well. I can imagine losing 50 lbs. would make for some drastic changes in your riding!

Keep up the good work

Comment

Thats awesome! I just started WW and lost a little over 5lbs in 2 weeks. I have about 45 more to go.

My stick-skinny trainer doesn't get it that I have wretched upper body balance...course, she's not tossing around these DD's either! I cannot WAIT to lose these BOOBS!!!!

Keep it up Appendix!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
                        Thats awesome! I just started WW and lost a little over 5lbs in 2 weeks. I have about 45 more to go.
                        Congratulations. I lost all my weight through Weight Watchers. It's hard work but really works. GOOD LUCK!
                        On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Ok....I gotta ask for all these poeple that just posted about losing 20-50 pounds.
                          HOW???
                          All those diet aids and stuff are useless to me because I dont NEED to "curb my appetite".....Im NOT hungry.
                          I eat dinner....thats about it. Ive heard you HAVE to eat breakfast, but, if I eat anything, even a yogurt or an apple....Im done, Im not the least bit hungry come dinner time and then about 10pm I'll want to "snack" which I KNOW is bad.

Ive tried different things in the past but, my problem is, if I dont SEE results I wont keep up with it. Im not saying I expect to drop 20 pounds in a week.....but, I need to see SOMETHING otherwise I think "WHY am I starving
                          and doing all this if its NOT working??"

A friend of mine is always telling me what is a "healthy" snack and how you should eat salads dry or with only a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (gag!)
                          But, I see her wolfing cheesefries! although, shes hyper and she chugs coffee like its water so maybe if I just start drinking lots of coffee??

Im on a bad "cycle" now.....I have NO self esteem...not that I had much to begin with.....and I got skinny people telling me "oh you are going to have to get someone else to show your horse for you because it will present a better image if someone who is fit is riding her"......so, now Im thinking Im a hideous troll who is hurting my horses by even thinking of riding them, and riding was my biggest exercise until I got hurt....and got fat. I'd be happy to just drop 20 pounds, get to 140 lb, I looked good at 135-140.....wasnt a skeleton and had nice curves.

Ok....done venting/self pitying/whatever.

Comment

I used to be super thin without trying and then I was in a bad car accident. I gained 70 lbs right away. Finally 5 years later my doctor put me on a low-carb diet. I have lost 25 lbs without much effort. I can eat as much as I want but I just have to watch the carbs. For me it was a pretty easy lifestyle change!! I feel great on the high protein and have tons of energy. I highly recommend it!
                            RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
                            May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
                            RIP San Lena Peppy
                            May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

WOW Congrats on losing that kind of weight WOOHOO
                              The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                              H. Cate

Comment

Congrats, that is a great accomplishment. I lost 50+ a while back and couldn't believe what a difference it made in my riding. I had NO idea how out of shape I was until I got skinny and back in great shape. I knew I needed to lose the weight, but though I was in ok shape despite it. Nope. I was totally blind to that aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastern Promises View Post
                                  Ok....I gotta ask for all these poeple that just posted about losing 20-50 pounds.
                                  HOW???
                                  I lost 50 lbs in a year working with a personal trainer. When people ask how I usually say half-jokingly, "You know all that stuff they taught you in high school health class? Eat right and exercise? I paid a lot of money for someone to tell me all that stuff again." It's not a diet, it's a permanent lifestyle change, and there are no short cuts.

It's more than the 'create a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound' basic math, it's really an engineering problem to figure out what kind of fuel your body runs best on.

I used to skip breakfast too. Breakfast for me now is half a whole wheat bagel with a tablespoon of peanut butter, yogurt and cottage cheese. Right at 400 calories and over 25 grams of protein. If I don't get lots of protein in the morning, I'm hungry and will snack too much. YMMV -- do what works for you.

It made a huge change in my riding too. I could actually *do* what my instructor was telling me! Before it wasn't like I *wanted* to collapse forward, I simply didn't have the core strength to hold myself up.
                                  --
                                  Wendy
                                  ... and Patrick

Comment

Congratulations! I've lost 20 pounds since May and would like to lose another 30-35! I love feeling stronger and more fit
                                    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                                    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                                    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

Eastern Promises--this isn't necessarily the answer for you, but I can eat whatever I want provided I exercise. I make sure I burn about 250 extra calories on the eliptical 5-6 nights a week and I can feel I'm losing weight.

Also, yes, coffee can help, but it can also do a number on your stomach, not to mention it can make some people jittery. (Also, that only works if you're talking about regular coffee without a ton of sugar, milk and cream in it.)

It also might actually help to eat a bit more. You can't lose if you're not taking in calories because your body thinks it's starving when you take in very few calories.

And if the people telling you you're fat and ugly and shouldn't show your own horse, well--I weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of what you do (I don't do numbers as it's a bulimia trigger for me, but I'm probably within ten pounds of you) and unless you're built VERY differently from me, if your horse is not a small pony they're just being jerks. Heck, I may ride the pony at the barn when the weather clears and he needs a chat with a rider who's not impressed with his nonsense (of course, he's very stout--I wouldn't get on a small, fine-boned one!) I'll look absurd but I'm not heavy enough to hurt him. I doubt very much you look ugly on your horse.
                                      Author Page
                                      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                      Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by Eastern Promises View Post
                                        HOW???
                                        All those diet aids and stuff are useless to me because I dont NEED to "curb my appetite".....Im NOT hungry.
                                        I eat dinner....thats about it. Ive heard you HAVE to eat breakfast, but, if I eat anything, even a yogurt or an apple....Im done, Im not the least bit hungry come dinner time and then about 10pm I'll want to "snack" which I KNOW is bad.

Ive tried different things in the past but, my problem is, if I dont SEE results I wont keep up with it. Im not saying I expect to drop 20 pounds in a week.....but, I need to see SOMETHING otherwise I think "WHY am I starving
                                        and doing all this if its NOT working??"

A friend of mine is always telling me what is a "healthy" snack and how you should eat salads dry or with only a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (gag!)
                                        But, I see her wolfing cheesefries! although, shes hyper and she chugs coffee like its water so maybe if I just start drinking lots of coffee??

Im on a bad "cycle" now.....I have NO self esteem...not that I had much to begin with.....and I got skinny people telling me "oh you are going to have to get someone else to show your horse for you because it will present a better image if someone who is fit is riding her"......so, now Im thinking Im a hideous troll who is hurting my horses by even thinking of riding them, and riding was my biggest exercise until I got hurt....and got fat. I'd be happy to just drop 20 pounds, get to 140 lb, I looked good at 135-140.....wasnt a skeleton and had nice curves.

Ok....done venting/self pitying/whatever.
                                        When you do eat, what are you having? The quality and type of food also matters.

I'm actually pretty aware about nutrition and what I should be eating, as well as what my body responds best to, its just a matter of willpower for me. I love food too much! So finding a good balance is always a struggle.

I did Medifast. Lost 35 lbs, didn't stick to eating healthy afterwards. Have gained back about 20 of those lbs, unfortunately. But, through all my "diets" I've learned that my body really does respond best to high levels of lean protein, and pretty much zero refined carbs/sugars. Better skin, better weight, etc etc.

Try to shake it up a bit-try eating your big meal at lunch time. Then have small snacks the rest of the day like fruit, veggies, cheese, nuts, etc. The less processed the better. Even if your body isn't tell you "I"M STARVING!!" doesn't mean you don't need to fuel it. In fact, by restricting yourself to only one meal your body is pretty much protecting itself (i.e. hanging onto all the weight it can) because you are giving it so few calories. If you talk to anorexics, often times when they go into recovery they will drop some weight before gaining because they are back on a regular eating schedule and their body is no longer in starvation mode.

And big fat BOOOO on the people telling you you are too fat to ride your horse. How horrible of them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X