• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Calling all vet or vet school student, any tips on interviewing for vet school?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all vet or vet school student, any tips on interviewing for vet school?

So, I got an interview for vet school! YAY!

Any tips on how to prepare for the interview? Did you prepare? What was it like? How long?

I am thinking I need to practice because I will be nervous I am sure. Any tips would be great!

Thanks in Advanced!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Check out the Student Doctor Network -- forums.studentdoctor.net

There is interview feedback posted for the various schools, as well as existing threads on attire, protocol, etc.

Where are you interviewing?

Feel free to PM if you have any questions!

I had 3 interviews (canceled #4 after getting into my 1st choice school) and each one differed a lot from the others. It all depends on the school. For example, Penn has more of a "conversation" while Minnesota has a strict 45 minute behavioral interview. Miss State was somewhere in the middle. SDN is your best resource for each school's interviewing style.

Other than that, read back through your application -- it was submitted a while ago, so I'm sure you've forgotten some details! (I know I had!) Be up to date on current events in your expressed area of interest (I was asked about horse slaughter at Miss State). Get comfortable with answering the question, "Tell us about yourself."

I had a practice interview at my undergrad (I had already graduated but drove back up to Lexington for it) which definitely helped me get more comfortable with the most common questions, etc.

Good luck!

Comment

Agree with everything Ben and Me said! Do check out SDN forums for tips!

In terms of the interview...try to just be yourself. If you don't know something they ask you, don't just make something up, because they WILL know if you are BSing them. But try to turn it to your advantage, if you can. One of my friends was asked in his interview, "What do you know about tularemia?" He said, "Not a whole lot." But at the end of his interview, when they asked him if he had any questions for them, he said, "Yeah. What's tularemia?" I thought that was a good example of how you can improve the situation if you don't know an answer. Remember that they don't expect you to know everything - that's what you're going to vet school for - but they do want to see how you handle pressure. It's good to know something about current events that affect veterinary medicine, too.

Good luck - I know how nerve-wracking it is, but I survived and you will too! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
      ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

Try to find out what style of interview they'll use. Minnesota uses a behavioral interview "Tell me about a time when..." and you have to talk about it. I was prepped by my brother who works in human resources (specifically hiring and firing).

It's scary and intimidating but be confident. You were offered an interview! Try not to be the girl who passed out during the interview or the one who collapased shortly after. My mom watched them walk out with one very pale girl who collapsed right after her interview. Then she said it was quite different because I walked out chit-chatting with my interviewers and I was accepted. Just be yourself, show off how wonderful you are, what you are passionate about and be confident!
        ---------------------------
        University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2012
        Member of the Asthmatic Riders & "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" cliques

Comment

Be honest.
          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

As Ben and Me said, know your current events. Some common topics I have heard of being used this year include horse transport (ie double deckers), Prop 2 in California (an animal rights bill), and horse slaughter.

And, probably most importantly, be able to back up your opinions. If you say "horse slaughter is wrong," don't back it up with "because rich people eating horses makes me sad." Instead, go with that you think there are other economically feasible methods to address the unwanted horse population like methods A, B, and C.

Good luck!
            Pacific Coast Eventing
            Standing Yeager GF

Comment

I did zero prep for my interviews...and somehow I still managed to get in somewhere! I'm one of those people that, if practicing too much, gets to sound rehearsed, which is not what the interviewers are interested in hearing. I would have one or two questions for THEM, as well. I used that time to get a little more information about the school, approach toward teaching, etc...things that ultimately helped me make a decision as far as where I wanted to go.
              The only thing I semi-consciously did was to take my time in formulating a response...rephrasing the question in my response gave me a way to double-check that my answer was relevant and actually answering the question they asked. (Hope that makes sense--I haven't had enough caffeine yet this morning.)
              Good luck!
              Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

Funny - before I started reading the replys my short answer was going to be, "be honest". Ghazzu and I must think alike!

I intervied at Kansas State - it was over 10 years ago so things may have changed. It was more of a tell me about yourself type of interview. Fairly informal - no grilling questions.

They asked alot about my prior experiences - I had some experience in research labs and they wanted to know about specifics of the studies.

They asked me a bunch about my plans if I didn't get into vet school and I was honest - told them about job interviews and plans to do a masters if need be to help my application.

I wore a conservative pants suit and I think it was appropriate. Wear comfortable shoes - there was a large amount of walking and tours prior to the interview.

Don't let other folks psych you out. I can't imagine how freaked I'd be if people were dropping like flies coming out of the interview!

The asked about some less than stellar grades on my transcript - be prepared to talk about things that are less than ideal with your application.

Good luck.

Comment

Oh, and I was asked if I knew how much vet school was going to cost and if I had a plan for paying for it. I think they want to make sure people know what they're getting into.
                  ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

Originally posted by cleozowner View Post
                    I would have one or two questions for THEM, as well. I used that time to get a little more information about the school, approach toward teaching, etc...things that ultimately helped me make a decision as far as where I wanted to go.
                    This as well! It really helped me to have the questions written down -- even though I couldn't pull them out, it helped me remember since I could visualize the questions!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I went to the forum and signed up. I think my interview sound pretty low key and relaxed compared to a lot of schools. I am only applying to Ross right now. I wish I had done my best in college and not taken it as a time to have fun. I have done a ton of maturing in the 4 1/2 years since I graduated college and I know I am ready to handle vet school. I am taking a few classes this semester to get my brain kicking again at the local college, so I won't go into vet school not having had school in 5 years.

Thanks again for all the tips and the forum! My interview is February 17th, so I have sometime to prepare and feel confident when I go in there.
                      I love cats, I love every single cat....
                      So anyway I am a cat lover
                      And I love to run.

Comment

congratulations! The world needs another good vet.

Is it FL or UGA by chance?

Comment

Someone I know was asked "which end of the cow gets up first?" at VA Tech. .

Comment

Originally posted by 2Jakes View Post
                            Someone I know was asked "which end of the cow gets up first?" at VA Tech. .
                            They were known for having picky/weird questions in the past... For example, they asked a friend, "What is the perfect size for a horse?" I guess they just wanted to hear your reasoning?

They've completely changed interview styles as of last year, however.

Comment

Ditto what everyone has said. It depends a lot on the school.
                              I am at Tufts now, and it's the only school that I applied to. My interview was very informal; it was more like a conversation about my life past present and future.
                              I felt really comfortable and was completely honest about everything.
                              And don't forget to admit what you don't know.
                              If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago.
                              ~George Morris

Comment

Originally posted by Ben and Me View Post
                                "What is the perfect size for a horse?"
                                Well, that would really depend on the purpose for which the horse was being used, for example (give examples for which various sized horses are used). Also be able to come up with issues pertinent to smaller vs larger horses. A good friend advised me to use the expression "well I don't know, but I would speculate..." when you are stumped. I actually used this in one of my defenses (though I forget which one)- I passed.

But what do I know, I'm a psychologist.

Be yourself and best of luck to you!!!

Comment

I remember when my daughter was interviewing at vet schools about 7 years ago. The people at Kansas State were really nice. It was her first interview, and they made her relax because they were so nice and hospitable. They did ask her about anything that she had read recently. She had just read an interesting animal related article in Wall Street Journal, in the plane on the way to the interview. She asked them lots of questions about the research that she knew they were doing at Kansas State.

Her interview at Virginia Tech was uncomfortable. Two of the interviewers were pleasant and asked her a lot of questions about EPM. The third kept asking her football questions to see if he could make her lose her composure and cry. He demanded to know who won the Superbowl. When she said she had no idea, he told her to recite the names of some of the top football teams. She told him she knew the Redskins hadn't done well, but really didn't know the names of any other NFL teams. She then told him that she could tell him who won the Kentucky Derby and could analyze the records of the top contenders for the Derby. At that point, the jerk backed off and left her alone. Despite that difficult interview, she was accepted at VT.

Each school asked her about her C grades in chemistry. She told everyone that she just isn't good at chemistry, but that biology and animal sciences come easily to her.

The people at Western University in California had a very relaxed interview style that encouraged her to talk about her background. She came out of that interview with a lot of knowledge about the school and a lot of respect for the school's program.

Dress well. The accepted attire used to be a business suit, decent shoes, and some jewelry (e.g., earrings, simple necklace). I don't know if that is still the attire. The Southern schools might have a more relaxed attire.

Good luck with the interview.

Comment

I interviewed at Penn; had a great one, very conversational, but didn't get in. I think it's stupid, but the students who chat with you in the waiting area have a say about who gets in and who doesn't. That is stupid to me because they can't possibly know you well enough in 5 min of nervous small talk to really have that much of a say!

Tufts interview (where I went to school) was much, much better. Very conversational, very light-hearted. They tend to pair interviewers well...one is more serious and one more fun. I know at Tufts they want to know as much about you as a person as you as a potential veterinarian. They are very interested in your dedication to the profession and want to make sure you're going to be a good investment. That's the same for any school, really.

Know something(s) about the school to which you're applying. Know what programs they have to offer, what research is being done there, and which vets stand out to you that work/teach there. Mention which ones might (sincerely) interest you. If you show interest to the school, they'll show it to you! It takes only a little bit of time on each school's website to find out some of those things.

Be yourself, be honest, remember to mention memorable experiences (and not blank out!) that helped you get to where you are and helped you realize what you want to become. Have other things to talk about too, such as other interests and hobbies, or the latest book (fictional) that you've read (yes, that was a question of mine). They want to know you're well-rounded as well.

Comment

Sorry to drag this thread up, but I am a first year vet student at MSU, so I just recently (about one year ago) went through the whole process of interviews. If you want any more tips or sample questions or anything like that, just PM me
                                      Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
                                      RIP Tall Tales

Comment

Originally posted by Ben and Me View Post
                                        They were known for having picky/weird questions in the past... For example, they asked a friend, "What is the perfect size for a horse?" I guess they just wanted to hear your reasoning?

They've completely changed interview styles as of last year, however.
                                        Hey- that was me!

I said, "16.2, because that's how big my horse is and he's perfect" I think I expanded on that with something about how it would depend on what you were using the horse for, but to this day I'm still not sure what they were looking for there. They also asked me about MRSA and horse slaughter. My whole experience there was very off-putting and not at all like experiences at other schools. I will say that I thought Penn had the best interview system- I really felt like I got to know the school and they types of professors and classmates I would have there. The interview day was just as much about them selling the school to me as it was about me selling myself as a candidate, which I didn't experience at any other school and which I really appreciated. I left VT thinking, "Even if they took me, why would I want to come here?" Whereas I left Penn thinking, "Oh gosh I REALLY hope I get in here!"
                                        Balanced Care Equine

Comment

Working...
                                        X