• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rode in a Christmas Parade....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode in a Christmas Parade....

....and I'll never do it again. OY!

The parade was insane. They've been doing this for 18 years but it was the most disorganized thing I've ever seen. NO ONE from the parade committe was at the horse staging area to "check us in", so riders just showed up to be in the parade without having paid the entry fee (which is for charity!). Worst of all, those show-ups were also slightly drunk.

No judges were there either. We were told "Oh, you all judge yourselves." Wha?! Gimme a break. Since I do not belong to the Paulding County Saddle Club (and never ever will), I didn't get judged or even considered. What a joke. Granted, I didn't do it just to get a ribbon or anything but wanted a fair shake at it. Am glad, tho, that the ribbons they handed out went to the Wee UBER Cute little girls on their UBER cute ponies.

While the other horses/riders did dress up or decorate (the ponies and minis especially), the overall Turnout of their horses was, in my opinion, pitiful. Some I don't think even bothered to do more than a quick brushing. Guess I'm an old fart. I believe in proper turnout, no matter the venue--show, parade or trail.

The kicker for the day, though, was one of the said Saddle Club riders was a redneck idiot who thought the crazy parade would be the best place to take his 4 y/o TWH Stallion out for some "experience." He rides by me and in his snobby voice says "This IS a stallion." I said "So?! You control your horse, I'll control mine." and tried to keep my distance.

I wanted to be last in the line up, since I knew Penny would be "Up" from all the excitement and because I wasn't associated with the Saddle Club folks. Well Mr. Stallion Boy got in behind me and would lag behind just so he could run up P's butt in a full rack and show off some more. Two hours of that!

I couldn't really enjoy myself-- barely got to smile at some of the kids along the packed route. I am very thankful my friend was with me as a ground control to hand out candy, cuz she put herself behind Penny several times to keep IDIOT PEOPLE from cutting up behind her.....let's not even talk about the woman with a 4 month old in her arms that was about 6 inches from Penny's tail end. OY VEY!

We finally get back to the trailer. (I'd been in the saddle for 4 1/2 hours). I hugged Penny and then Courtney, promising both of them that we would never do this again.

At least Penny looked good and, overall, was very well behaved. She spooked a bit at the big drum lines from the band but that was her only real moment.

Pictures (yes, Facebook but they're open to public viewing):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=fa19f6b2b9
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Maybe when the dude made his announcement that his horse "IS" a stallion, you could have replied "Well I see the nuts but they aren't between the horse's legs. They are on top of the saddle." He would have spent the rest of the parade trying to figure out what you meant.

I'm sorry it wasn't fun for you, but I will say your horse and turnout were GORGEOUS!
    Alis volat propriis.

Comment

You're a braver soul than I! I've been in several parades with my dogs and it can be unnerving for them, too, but I think I would be too stressed to try it on horseback.

I used to love being in them but I'm starting to think maybe it's time not to do any more. You are so right that it seems no matter how well-established the venue, they can still seem to be pretty disorganized on the day, and the largest parade I've ever been in actually had the least crowd control. No one even suggested that spectators NOT walk right out into the street to pet the dogs, or allow their children of all ages to do so as well. The smaller parades I've been in actually had no one actually walking into the parade route, but instead cheered from the curbside. And the dogs are always big people magnets, and I'm sure the horses, too.

I've never taken a dog to one who couldn't handle having strangers (often in weird costumes) coming at him/her from all sides and unpredictably, but as you said, Oy vey!, you just can't believe people sometimes and it could be a disaster if something went wrong.
      If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the props It wasn't easy to groom her being as she is in full Winter Yak mode. God Bless the Shop-Vac!

Originally posted by Rallycairn View Post
        .... You are so right that it seems no matter how well-established the venue, they can still seem to be pretty disorganized on the day, and the largest parade I've ever been in actually had the least crowd control. No one even suggested that spectators NOT walk right out into the street to pet the dogs, or allow their children of all ages to do so as well. The smaller parades I've been in actually had no one actually walking into the parade route, but instead cheered from the curbside. And the dogs are always big people magnets, and I'm sure the horses, too.
        Crowd control was a joke. Their idea of a barrier was plastic POLICE tape strung between light poles....but that was only for the last 1/8th of a mile of the entire route. The rest was wide open to anyone and anything pushing their way into the parade participants, grabbing for candy and just getting in the way, walking in front of and behind the horses without so much as a blink. SOOOO unsafe!
        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
          The kicker for the day, though, was one of the said Saddle Club riders was a redneck idiot who thought the crazy parade would be the best place to take his 4 y/o TWH Stallion out for some "experience." He rides by me and in his snobby voice says "This IS a stallion." I said "So?! You control your horse, I'll control mine." and tried to keep my distance.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=fa19f6b2b9
          Like the glorious Ms.P is ever a problem! WOW! I do not know how you held your tounge! I have wanted to put Grover in a parade but maybe I will rethink that!

"Maybe when the dude made his announcement that his horse "IS" a stallion, you could have replied "Well I see the nuts but they aren't between the horse's legs. They are on top of the saddle." He would have spent the rest of the parade trying to figure out what you meant."

LOVE IT!!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
            Like the glorious Ms.P is ever a problem! WOW! I do not know how you held your tounge! I have wanted to put Grover in a parade but maybe I will rethink that!
            I think you'd be wise to. Thought about you and just knew Grover would be a bit and you'd be a bit more

Comment

I rode in one Santa Clause parade and it was one too many. Never again!!!
              "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

you guys look great in the photos!

she's all christmas spirit

you have to try things in order to figure out if you like them.
                i always wanted to take my mare to the beach and when i finally did, it wasn't such a happy day at all since she was petrified of the crashing waves and spent the day in a counterbend trying to make her way to the dunes
                http://www.eponashoe.com/
                TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Comment

aww!

you and the "yak" looked quite festive!

we didn't make it to the parade because i wimped out when the weather turned bad- sorry it wasn't fun for you guys!

thanks again for the hay and i LOVED those big ole stalls out there- also spyed on the hay net contraption hanging from the tree- what a good idea!

your barn is literally about 5 minutes from ours- yay for local COTHers!
                  let me know when the next trail ride is!
                  -ellie
                  Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
                  Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Comment

Choco, what a pretty, pretty girl you have! And you both look so festive!

Too bad that you had to be in the midst of so may yokels, but I'm glad you went whole hog and did it RIGHT. I appreciate people who have high standards and stick to them!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by skip916 View Post
                      you and the "yak" looked quite festive!

we didn't make it to the parade because i wimped out when the weather turned bad- sorry it wasn't fun for you guys!

thanks again for the hay and i LOVED those big ole stalls out there- also spyed on the hay net contraption hanging from the tree- what a good idea!

your barn is literally about 5 minutes from ours- yay for local COTHers!
                      let me know when the next trail ride is!
                      -ellie
                      Oh good Ellie! Sorry I missed you too!

Said "hay net contraption" is the West Coast Bale net from the FAB folks at Cinch Chix

Holds 2 of my square bales and lasts up to 36 hours with 3 mares eating on 'em. I'm expecting their Round Bale Net this week, tho, since that'll be even easier for me.

Comment

Originally posted by marta View Post
                        she's all christmas spirit

you have to try things in order to figure out if you like them.
                        i always wanted to take my mare to the beach and when i finally did, it wasn't such a happy day at all since she was petrified of the crashing waves and spent the day in a counterbend trying to make her way to the dunes
                        According to my gelding, there be sea monsters in the water!Aaaargh!!!!
                        Dee
                        Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
                        Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
                        http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

I rode in a parade twice, and both times it was really stressful and not very much fun. I'll never do it again.

But you and your mare looked so nice! I love how you choose to decorate her! She sounds like she was a really good girl for putting up with all of the parade chaos.
                          Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
                          Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LovelyBay View Post
                            I rode in a parade twice, and both times it was really stressful and not very much fun. I'll never do it again.

But you and your mare looked so nice! I love how you choose to decorate her! She sounds like she was a really good girl for putting up with all of the parade chaos.
                            Thank you so much. Indeed, Penny was very tolerant of all the hooplah and hub-bub.

Ah, one other thing: besides me, only the 2 youngest wee girls were wearing helmets. Good thing too, because wee little girl No. 1 on Annabelle Da Pony (CUUUUTE) got dumped when Annabelle whizzed around to give the hairy-eyeball to the GIGANTIC Scoopy-Doo perched up in a dune buggy. Wee Girl hit the asphalt faster than you could blink and I heard the helmet crack the ground from 100 feet away. THANK GOD she was wearing it!!! Daddy picked her up very quick and plopped her wee bum right back in the saddle like it never happened, hugged her and gave the dude in the Dune Buggy a VERY mean look

Comment

Parades are not my cup of tea, but I must say that you and Penny are very nicely turned out in your holiday clothes!
                              "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

We loved to go to all kinds of parades with our school horses and everyone seemed to have a great time.
                                We had candy bags handed to us at the start and we threw the candy over to the people lining the sides.
                                Some kids always would run to and under the horses, asking for more, but no kid got hurt, as far as I know.

Too bad you had a tough time there.

Comment

• Original Poster

Video of full parade pics if you wanna see the other horses...especially the Yahoo on the Stallion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmhx...layer_embedded

Comment

I have ridden in 3 Christmas parades with a group of friends from riding club. I wasn't able to this year as my horse is recouping from an injury. I was very disappointed. The parade we normally ride in is fairly small maybe 200 different groups/floats in the parade. Other than a whole lot of waiting at the beginning to fall into your " assigned place" it was pretty fun. We had several side walkers to help out in case of emergencies, and really only had one incident where a husband and wife were riding horses that really should not have been in the parade atmosphere. My Tb mare was great(have to admit first time out I was nervous), but she handled it with no problem, even the year we had bagpipes behind us...hehe or the rescue squad ambulance with flashing lights in front of us. Oh, did I mention we have to cross a train track in two places as the route from the trailer area to the end is a big loop? Sorry you didn't have a good time.

Comment

Love your decorating, and your horse looks like SUCH a good girl. Clydesdale cross? She looks kind of Clydish to me but not quite.

I used to dream of decorating the Silver Colt when he is a Magnificent Silver Horse in future years and going in a Christmas parade, as he would look utterly awesome decorated with his coloring and his ever-up ears. Alas, I decided with the 4th of July accident in wherever-it-was, Iowa, this year that potential liability issues and crowd-in-street issues were simply too much for me to risk my farm on one little parade. I'll settle for getting our future "how neat!" pictures at the Tevis instead!

Comment

Oh dear Choco - I am sorry it was not a good parade experience. I've ridden in so many and can say with conviction that you really have to pick and choose when it comes to finding truly organized parades. Much of it is volunteer effort on the part of the parade committee and many are sadly lacking in experience or real commitment to their assigned tasks. I judged our horses this year and several years past (if I'm not riding in the parade), and I've been working with our local Lions Club to improve safety and conditions here in Covington. Our parade is gaining a very good reputation for it's organization and we had somewhere around 50 horses this year. Almost all were dressed to the nines in keeping with our theme "the magic of Christmas" and I wish I had taken some pictures.

All in all, what I'm trying to say is that even though Covington may be a bit far for you, we had participants from all over GA this year, even some true blue Buffalo Soldiers from the Atlanta Cavalry. So you're officially invited next year to experience Covington's Christmas parade - I think you would really enjoy it.

ETA - your horse decoration is wonderful!
                                        Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Working...
                                        X