• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ATTENTION: Horse Buyers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENTION: Horse Buyers

To stereotype a bit this morning this is a general question for all you horse buyers out there. Why is it that when you try out a horse, he goes perfect you say you will call the next day. More often then not, you don't.

It takes two seconds to pick up the phone and say, "Hey, Bob. Thanks so much for showing Fluffy to us yesterday. Unfortunatly, he's just not the horse we are looking for."

It's that simple. As a seller, it's extremely frustrating to me when potential buyers do this. It irritates me they don't even have the common courtesy to pick up the phone and call. Like they said they will. It doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't buy the horse. It's just the right thing to do. IMO.

I know it is what it is....an with being in the horse buying/selling business for a long time I should just get over it...but it really irks me.

Ok. Rant over....

Bob...

It's the "no responsibility" generation that we have created. Good manners have fallen by the wayside. It's pretty sad actually.

Comment

^ Yep.

Try having a party with all the trimmings, invite folks by mailing invitations with an RSVP to their homes and count the number of people that actually make the effort to respond.

ETA - oh yeah, they show up, they just don't tell you that they are coming...

Comment

• Original Poster

paintjumper, you totally hit the nail on the head. The saddest part of it is these grown men and women are older than me. I am the one complaining about their bad manners.

BellaLuna, thats horrible. I feel your pain though. When I had my babyshower earlier this year, no one RSVP'd. It was horrible. Thank God my mother was an awesome hostess and made it work....

Comment

Originally posted by BellaLuna View Post
          ^ Yep.

Try having a party with all the trimmings, invite folks by mailing invitations with an RSVP to their homes and count the number of people that actually make the effort to respond.

ETA - oh yeah, they show up, they just don't tell you that they are coming...

Or worse you do allll that, buy all the food, cook till you drop and then NO ONE (or only 1 - 2) show up.

Just another indication that common courtesy is no longer common.
          <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

I don't think anyone knows what RSVP means anymore.

Comment

If it's not lack of manners...it's lack of a spine.
              These days more and more people are "non confrontational" because either they lack backbone or they're too used to never actually talking to people. (IM, texting, FB, email, voice message, etc)
              Either way they just can't figure out a way to say "no thanks" and despite them not wanting to have to say no they're being very rude.

And nope, nobody seems to RSVP anymore.
              You jump in the saddle,
              Hold onto the bridle!
              Jump in the line!
              ...Belefonte

Comment

I hear that "We like him, will call you" with EVERY tire kicker when we sell horses. They don't want to hurt your feelings, just a figure of speech. I totally disregard it, do NOT ever wait for a call. If person DOES call back about horse, then it is a pleasant surprise!

Unless a person gives me a large, non-refundable deposit, that sale horse is for sale to the first person who gives me the price.

If I waited on all those who say they will call, horse would never sell. So my sale horse goes out with every person who comes to look, same terms to everyone. No holds ever, not even overnight. Again, with money in hand, then horse is sold, not held. He might sit in the barn awaiting a weekend pick-up time, but he is not mine anymore!

The no return call has been EXTREMELY common since I ever knew about buying and selling horses, cheap or expensive. No one held them without a deposit. First money to seller, gets the horse. Not expecting a call back, takes stress off you. I figure the remark is just a figure of speech, like "How are you?" in meeting a person. The greeter doesn't REALLY want your health history!! These tire-kickers are just out for a free ride or don't want to list WHY they don't care for your animal, to prevent a bad parting as they leave.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goodhors View Post
                  I hear that "We like him, will call you" with EVERY tire kicker when we sell horses. I totally disregard it, do NOT ever wait for a call. If person DOES call back about horse, then it is a pleasant surprise!

Unless a person gives me a large, non-refundable deposit, that sale horse is for sale to the first person who gives me the price.

If I waited on all those who say they will call, horse would never sell. So my sale horse goes out with every person who comes to look, same terms to everyone. No holds ever, not even overnight. Again, with money in hand, then horse is sold, not held. He might sit in the barn awaiting a weekend pick-up time, but he is not mine anymore!

The no return call has been EXTREMELY common since I ever knew about buying and selling horses, cheap or expensive. No one held them without a deposit. First money to seller, gets the horse. Not expecting a call back, takes stress off you, I figure the remark is just a figure of speech, like "How are you?" in meeting a person. The greeter doesn't REALLY want your health history!!
                  Oh, I definitely don't wait for a call.

Actually, I let it go in one ear and out the other when they promise one. It's just frustrating they even say anything!

Comment

I had some people from another state call me about my horse for sale. SO interested. Had me make specific videos with pro on horse, with a teenager on horse, "We love love love him and we'll call you on Monday - at a horse show this wkend".

Nothing.

At least send me an email and say "thanks but we decided not to go with your horse". Rude.

Comment

Originally posted by sar2008 View Post

It takes two seconds to pick up the phone and say, "Hey, Bob. Thanks so much for showing Fluffy to us yesterday. Unfortunatly, he's just not the horse we are looking for."
                      Funny you should ask this because I'm in this exact situation right now. Agreed to take an Arab mare sight unseen based on photos and description. When she was delivered to me, she was NOT what I had bargained for. She is swaybacked, and the owner informed me she didn't intend to sign over the horse's papers because she wants to retain legal ownership. Now on email, and phone the woman told me that if at ANY time the mare doesn't work out, that she wants her back. The mare is NOT to be sold or given away. The mare to come back to HER. PERIOD. Ok, no problem, I completely understand.

So I told the woman - the horse and the situation is not going to work out, please take her back. She refused. I explained to her why the horse won't work out - the back issue is major, and the ownership issue is just plain crazy.

It turned into a war with the woman insulting my intelligence, telling me I don't the first thing about XYZ Arabian bloodline because if I did, I would know that EVERY horse in this bloodline has this back conformation, she told me how offended she was that she was going to trust me with this sacred bloodline and then I go and disrespect the mare's breeding by daring to criticize her swayback. She was rude, condescending, hateful, and just flat nasty on the phone when I told her that I intend to return the mare to her because this is not going to work.

She was so ridiculously nasty that I had to put a stop payment on my check and inform the woman "I am bringing the mare back to your farm on X day, and that's that. The check is canceled and I'm sorry it had to come to this, but it did." She informed me she won't be home that day that I am bringing the mare back. Well, that's fine. The horse will be there when she gets home.

So based on my experience, I will be extremely cautious and nervous about telling a seller "Your horse won't work for me because.............." I don't want to take that kind of verbal abuse again from a seller because they get highly offended that I think their horse has XYZ problem, or won't work because of........fill in the blank.

It is extremely uncomfortable to look a seller in the eye and say "Well, thanks for your time in showing me Fluffy but he has crooked legs and you're asking too much money." I am not saying a buyer should lie and say "Thanks, he's great, I'll call you." But I am saying that having just gone through this - it is very difficult to tell a person all the things you see wrong with their horse. Some people undoubtedly just try to avoid that uncomfortable confrontation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
                        So based on my experience, I will be extremely cautious and nervous about telling a seller "Your horse won't work for me because.............." I don't want to take that kind of verbal abuse again from a seller because they get highly offended that I think their horse has XYZ problem, or won't work because of........fill in the blank.

It is extremely uncomfortable to look a seller in the eye and say "Well, thanks for your time in showing me Fluffy but he has crooked legs and you're asking too much money." I am not saying a buyer should lie and say "Thanks, he's great, I'll call you." But I am saying that having just gone through this - it is very difficult to tell a person all the things you see wrong with their horse. Some people undoubtedly just try to avoid that uncomfortable confrontation.
                        You don't have to give a reason. That leaves room for disagreement.

Just leave it at "Your horse won't work for me." Period.

Comment

So I got called a few names and accused of burning bridges. Why? I wanted to see the horse a second time before dropping $ on a ppe. Seller accused me of ignoring her. I resent all of the emails I had sent to the seller, to which seller said "Oh there is no way you sent those. I would have got them".
                          As if I made up the time stamps from my server?

I have had to email people when they sent me pics of their horse and say "No thanks".

I just put a deposit on a horse. The whole dealing was easy easy, the sellers awesome, easy to get ahold of and speak to. Honest.

If I come out and try the a sale horse, I pretty much know if I want the horse by the time I get one foot in the stirrup.

Sorry you're having a bad experience, but it doesnt suck any less as a buyer. It's absolutley possible for the SELLER not the HORSE to blow a sale. The aforementioned seller who was nasty...well, I told her that SHE blew it and to consider me not interested. Which was unfortunate, her horse was a doll.

Comment

I think it has to do with discomfort-- potential buyers want to avoid the potential conflict/confrontation of saying "no," so they just don't call. But you're absolutely correct; it is rude, even if that's not necessarily the intention. I recently purchased a horse, and I did bite the bullet and make those "thanks, but no thanks" calls and e-mails, especially since there were two other horses I was seriously considering.

As for the RSVP phenomenon, we had guests show up unannounced to my sister's $150-per-plate wedding reception. (Not only did they not return the RSVP card, they didn't bother to return follow-up phone calls two weeks before the wedding.) Fortunately, the hall was prepared for a few extra guests, but one non-RSVPer got huffy that she wasn't on the seating chart and actually said to my mom, "Well, I didn't think I needed to bother with the formality, you should have known I'd be coming!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
                              So I got called a few names and accused of burning bridges. Why? I wanted to see the horse a second time before dropping $ on a ppe. Seller accused me of ignoring her. I resent all of the emails I had sent to the seller, to which seller said "Oh there is no way you sent those. I would have got them".
                              As if I made up the time stamps from my server?

I have had to email people when they sent me pics of their horse and say "No thanks".

I just put a deposit on a horse. The whole dealing was easy easy, the sellers awesome, easy to get ahold of and speak to. Honest.

If I come out and try the a sale horse, I pretty much know if I want the horse by the time I get one foot in the stirrup.

Sorry you're having a bad experience, but it doesnt suck any less as a buyer. It's absolutley possible for the SELLER not the HORSE to blow a sale. The aforementioned seller who was nasty...well, I told her that SHE blew it and to consider me not interested. Which was unfortunate, her horse was a doll.
                              Thats also unfortunate for you as well. It sucks you had that experience with a seller. I assure you. I am the least nastiest (if there is such a word) horsey selling person this side of the Mason Dixon Line And Kudos to you for actually e-mailing back "no thanks." That would make a huge impression for me. Even if you weren't interested.

Also, it's not really one bad experience. It's LOTS of bad experiences. I just don't understand how people can be so rude. (Note: I would never tell them that because I am not that person, I am just venting here on COTH) I am like the seller you describe. Friendly, super open with all vet records about all my horses, very easy to get a hold of (BB's are wonderful) and very personable. I just don't get it.

ETA: The person you worked with (the nasty one) isn't the norm. She's the exception. I don't know ANYONE that would make such accusations...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bonsoir View Post
                                I recently purchased a horse, and I did bite the bullet and make those "thanks, but no thanks" calls and e-mails, especially since there were two other horses I was seriously considering.
                                YAY!! THREE CHEERS FOR BONSOIR!!!!

Maybe you can get others to jump on the bandwagon as well

Comment

Originally posted by sar2008 View Post
                                  Thats also unfortunate for you as well. It sucks you had that experience with a seller. I assure you. I am the least nastiest (if there is such a word) horsey selling person this side of the Mason Dixon Line And Kudos to you for actually e-mailing back "no thanks." That would make a huge impression for me. Even if you weren't interested.

Also, it's not really one bad experience. It's LOTS of bad experiences. I just don't understand how people can be so rude. (Note: I would never tell them that because I am not that person, I am just venting here on COTH) I am like the seller you describe. Friendly, super open with all vet records about all my horses, very easy to get a hold of (BB's are wonderful) and very personable. I just don't get it.

ETA: The person you worked with (the nasty one) isn't the norm. She's the exception. I don't know ANYONE that would make such accusations...
                                  yeah, it was "enlightening" to say the least. And the first time I tried the horse, I offered a deposit on the spot. She declined. Too bad, so sad.

OTOH, I love it when I have a few emails exchanged, ask some pointed questions and POOF there goes the seller? Just as I email/call and politely decline, it would nice to get an email that says "I've sold Blahblah. Good luck in your search".

Now that I have put over 25% down on the mare I've fallen for, I'm sure all those non-responsive sellers will respond. Such is life...things happen the way they are supposed to.

The nasty seller has since RAISED the price of the horse by 25% and lists the horse as solid WT. Uh, no. Not even. The horse is not solid anything.

Comment

I don't think it is rudeness so much as avoidance. People tell a white lie to avoid telling the truth about the horse. I don't agree with this a simple I'm sorry he doesnt work for me should be enough.

Comment

Because some sellers turn nasty when you say you are no longer interested in their horse. They seem to take it personally.
                                      Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Comment

People are strange.

In the few months my horse has been up for sale, I've encountered LOTS of folks like the ones described here. Out of all the try outs, I got a whopping ONE phonecall, saying "thank you, he's a beautiful horse but he's not really a good fit for my student" and that was from a FEI level trainer.

I've also had more than my fair share of no-shows: one woman called me from her car on her way to try my horse, saying she got an emergency call from work and would have to turn around, but will call to reschedule.
                                        Never heard from her again.

I did, however get one rather unique "follow up" email.
                                        A couple of months after our first exchange of email, I was told that a woman showed up at the barn, unannounced and was hanging out with my horse.
                                        She emailed me two days later, saying "I really can't afford to buy him ... but he was so cute, putting his head on my shoulder when I walked into his stall. Would it be OK if I came by occasionally to give him treats?"

My horse has a stalker.
                                        ... It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Shwung

Comment

Working...
                                        X