• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Favorite Cold Weather Riding Gear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Cold Weather Riding Gear?

I don't even want to think about it, but it's going to get down to 29 tomorrow night, so it's unavoidable at this point!

I'm looking for advice on cold weather gear. Last winter I started consistently losing circulation in my fingers and toes while riding, and then when the circulation came back (for example, immediately after dismounting) I would pass out or come very close (dizzy, tunny vision, etc). I've ended up on the floor of the barn aisle, collapsed near a horse's legs after dismounting, and nearly passed out while on the back of a horse, and it's terrifying for me and everyone around me. It didn't happen in the heated indoor at school, (which wasn't heated very warm, but warm enough), but now I'm graduated and will be without that luxury.

This winter, I'm looking to make a serious investment in cold weather gear, especially for my fingers and toes. I've seen the "toe tents" in Dover that you attach to the stirrup and put hot pockets in, has anyone tried those? What are some gloves that you swear by for warmth (but still allow you to feel the reins?) How about socks and boots? Thanks in advance!
    www.cobjockey.com - Eventing the Welsh Cob

We’re trail riders for the most part now, and I’m a winter person (hate the heat), so we’re out riding in the elements for hours and hours. Once the temps are under 45, I switch from gloves to mittens. Fingers stay warmer when they’re together, not separated. I have a pair of these: http://www.crazyhorsetack.com/polridmit.html, and they work great.

For feet, nothing works better than wool. I have a pair of Ariat paddock boots lined with thinsulate, and wear Smartwool socks.

Wear a hat under your helmet. You lose a lot of body heat out of your head. Something like this: http://www.equestriancollections.com...UER1H7-013-0FL

Then layer, layer, layer. Good, well fitting long johns under
    winter riding breeches (I love my Irideon fleece lined breeches). Turtleneck, sweater (wool!), jacket. Layers that can be peeled off and put back on.

I’ve found that the people that complain about being cold in the barn aren’t dressed appropriately and don’t keeping moving. The key to staying warm in winter, aside from dressing right, is don’t stand around – keep moving! Same goes for when you're on a horse!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Comment

• Original Poster

Riding mittens? Thanks for the tip, I will definitely be picking up a pair of those!

Comment

I bought the Ariat Brossard Tall Boots last winter -- one of the best things I have ever invested in! It was a brutal winter by Georgia standards (riding outdoors in the mid-to-low 30s quite a bit), but my feet were never cold (and I even I wore my regular socks with them).

I agree with the earlier response re: layering. I wore Kerrits long underwear under Kerrits or Irideon fleece lined breeches, and a thin Kerrits hat under my helmet.
        Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

iIn weather below 25 degrees, I have relied on riding in Ariat Frostbiter boots. They don't have the same feel as regular paddock boots but they are one of the few boots that keep my feet warm. Wool socks help, too. (I have ski socks for paddock and tall boots) Sometimes, I wear nylons or thin liner socks under wool socks in my frostbiters.

Fleece breeches are a must. I really liked the Riding Sport ones because they are "smooth" on the outside (so stuff like hay doesn't stick to them) but they protect against wind and are fleecy on the inside.

Gloves are tricky because like you, I really want "feel". I have ridden in leather outer, thinsulate inner gloves that are sold in regular stores. I have also ridden in fleece/ plastic-lined riding gloves, as well as down gloves designed for feel (NOT necessarily gloves "designed" for riding, which can be expensive - alternatively, gloves designed for skiing, etc.). Because I have poor circulation to my extremities, I made sure that my core is warmed with layers and fleece breeches so my feet and hands remain warm.

I also layered well: silk undershirt, turtleneck, wool sweater, and jacket over that.

Under 18 degrees or so, it didn't matter what I wore because excercising was difficult for the horse's respiratory system. I rode walk and trot in these events just to keep the horse in shape. But I did not do strenuous work in weather under 18-20 degrees or so (in an indoor arena). Horses just can't warm the air well enough as they breathe it in when it is that cold.

Good luck!
          J.
          Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I never ride below 25ish, it's just too hard on them and not worth it. We don't have too many days that it's not above 25 by afternoon here, thankfully. The mittens, helmet hat, wool socks and fleece breeches are going on my purchase list for sure. Thanks!

Comment

Absolutely SmartWool socks. I wear them when I run in winter as well as for riding, and they're great. I also second the riding mittens, my hands actually start to get too warm/sweaty after awhile and I have to take them off! They do make tightening the girth/fiddling with stirrups a bit difficult though, so I wear a normal pair of gloves while tacking up in the barn and then switch to my mittens before I mount.
              CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
              Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton

Comment

For gloves try these: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Powe...efault,pd.html I can not recommend them highly enough, they are AMAZING. Though obviously not entirely waterproof, I have worn them in pretty awful weather in the hills...Though I always bring proper waterproof gloves with me, I try to avoid wearing them because I want to be able to feel what I'm doing if I'm on a steep incline/scrambly part of the walk. Even in Scottish wet weather I have only had to put proper waterproof gloves on if it's raining really hard continuously. If it's snowing I wear mt hardwear liners and my hands stay warm and dry.

My Mutso jacket (unfortunately they don't make my design anymore ), is equally amazing. It kept me warm even in PA where the winter average temp was 9 degrees F - not much riding happened, however! I wore it outside the barn too, and it washes really well. I also wore it on my first ever walk in the highlands - didn't keep me entirely dry, but I don't think anyone was dry by the end of that walk (involving a 6k slog through a bog in steady rain/mist), and it did keep me warm. Fleece lined breeches are a definite must - I like the irideon ones. I just wear regular ariat paddock boots with thick smart wool walking socks and my feet stay warm, but I don't hang around at the barn in the winter - I keep moving when I'm not in the saddle, ride, then leave as soon as my horse is put away. I think feet get cold especially when you stop moving!

Also, especially if it's wet or windy, invest in a good pair of Waterproof trousers (mine are North Face, but Berghaus, Colombia, etc are also good). It is worth spending money to get a good pair. I wore my waterproof trousers more often during the "summer" (first month it snowed more than once!) in Wyoming than in the winter in the Scottish Highlands. Especially for wind they are an absolute lifesaver. I even rode in them. Though that was riding western, I know people at YRC hacked out English in full waterproof gear. Make sure you let your horse get used to the noise on the ground first though - good spook training! I wish I'd had a pair of waterproof trousers when I rode in PA over winter.
                "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

I always wear tights/nylons under fleece-lined breeches and having those on helps a lot. I also have a Thermasilk shirt that I wear a lot as a base layer and it's really comfortable and warm; I've been wearing the Kerrits tattoo base layer lately (just to bed, they're so cute!) and end up overly warm in them, so I think I'll try wearing those this winter too.
                  "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Smartwool!! I have the socks and the longjohns. They are pricey, but soooo worth it!! I also have the silk longjohns and tops and the smartwool blows them away!!

Comment

If you can find good riding mittens, DO IT. I had the nicest soft leather pair when I was a teenager riding in NJ. THose suckers would actually make my hands HOT. But they got stolen, and I've never found a pair as nice in the past 20 years.

As for Smartwool - I can't recommend it highly enough. Then again, I also wear smartwool socks YEAR ROUND!
                      Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Angel Undercover View Post
                        They do make tightening the girth/fiddling with stirrups a bit difficult though, so I wear a normal pair of gloves while tacking up in the barn and then switch to my mittens before I mount.
                        This seems like the best plan, and then maybe getting a pair of the gloves Event4Life was talking about. Do you know if they make riding mittens with the flip-down tops for this reason, like the deer hunting mittens? That might make them a little less warmer, but definitely easier to use.

Comment

Hmmm I was going to recommend silk liners since they make such a huge difference but since Tasia says smartwool blows them out of the water, I am going to invest in smartwool I guess.

Now, my kids just purchased me a pair of hightop Boggs for $200 I almost died finding out they would pay that for a pair of lined rubber boots. I was thinking more along the line of Baffins for $50 or so but............they bought me a red pair of Boggs with a steel shank and spur rest. Nice boots, I hope they turn out to be as warm as they appear. Last winter was brutal in GA and once I am wet, everything slows down as in body movement LOL I also have a pair of columbia ski pants to keep my legs warm. I can layer the upper half of me enough to keep warm but movement always becomes an issue. And more important than anything, hats. While my ears need to be kept warm, they can hinder my vision greatly. So, I use something called ear socks. They clip over each ear individually with nothing going over my head at all. Keeps my ears warm in the wind, can easily be worn under helmets and it doesnt impede my vision when dealing with 30 hungry horses all vying to be the first one in the barn.
                          Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Comment

Good socks (Woolrich 10 mile), turtlenecks and headbands go a long way to keeping the rest of me warm.

I have some thinsulate crochet backed gloves that I can't find a replacement for that I use only for really cold weather.

Then, have some hot pockets and a pail of hot water ready to warm your hands.

Another key is to start out warm. This means a pair of good gloves while tacking up, (don't chill your hands warming the bit, find another way).
                            ::With age comes wisdom. Apparently "wisdom" weighs about 40 pounds.::

Comment

You can also slip those little chemical warmers right in your boots. I've never done it, but I've been told it works.

Comment

I ride in all weather, including below 0. Horses are made for cold temps, it is not at all hard on them. It is much harder on the rider. I don't do more than walk and trot if it is below 0, but above that and I work them normally given footing conditions (I don't jump on frozen ground or snow/ice).

I ride in Polarfleece breeches if it is in the 40s. If in the 30s or so I wear silk liners. If in the 20s or below I wear these horribly ugly ski pant looking things that are insulated on top of that, or just ride bareback in my Carhartt coveralls. I wear a warm coat, a polarfleece layer and a turtleneck. I also have a fleece cover that goes on top of my helmet that is uberwarm.

Polarfleece is your friend. Those fleece circle neckwarmers are awesome, as are fleece earwarmers (they usually fit well under helmets if you leave your hair out).

Gloves are the hardest. I have some ski gloves and rope western reins for ultra cold riding. But for everyday, I have fleece Ovation gloves and just deal with my stiff fingers and blue fingernails. I can't stand the feel of mittens, but I do have some hunting mittens from Walmart that flip back to let your fingers out to adjust tack, etc. Those are pretty good because they are less like a straightjacket.

I do not look cool, but I do ride all winter.

Comment

Polar Fleece Neck Gators ~

Polar Fleece neck gators enable one to change levels of warmth depending on how you position them ~highly recommend them from Fall through Spring ~
                                  Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Originally posted by CobJockey View Post
                                    This seems like the best plan, and then maybe getting a pair of the gloves Event4Life was talking about. Do you know if they make riding mittens with the flip-down tops for this reason, like the deer hunting mittens? That might make them a little less warmer, but definitely easier to use.

I've never seen any, but I've been thinking about just getting a pair of the regular ones and just leaving my pinkie finger sticking out lol!
                                    CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
                                    Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton

Comment

Originally posted by CobJockey View Post
                                      They do! I've seen them! And now I can't remember where!

(off to hunt...)
                                      "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Winter wear

Lived in central and southern Oregon for several years each and now in the high (4000 feet) desert of northern NV and it is cold in all three (several weeks of well below zero F nights and maybe 20's in the daytime and most often a "breeze"...meaning slightly less than hurrican force winds). I use silk socks under wool ones (and insulated boots...best ones I ever had were a pair of Circle double H foam insulated...wore them out!). Long johns (bottoms and tops), flannel lined jeans, long sleeved T, sweatshirt, full length long sleeved insulated coveralls (Carharts are wonderful!), wool scarf tucked down the front and wool knit cap or rabbit lined "Canadian" type of hat with ear flaps. Thinsulate gloves, ride one handed with unused hand inside overalls...trade off hands every 10 minutes or so. Rode 11 miles home from a night time Christmas parade once that started out at 8p in minus 13 with windchill of about minus 25...don't know how cold it was when we got home (my ride just disappeared on me!!) at a bit after midnight but even looking (and feeling) like the Pillsbury doughboy didn't keep me warm that night....barely able to stand once I dismounted. Threw blanket over the (very wooly) horse and went in the house to warm for a few minutes (couldn't loosen cinch)....back out almost took my breath completely away. Got the horse put away, back inside for warm shower and a night of shivering...was sore all over the next couple days from so much shivering. Made decision not to ride at below zero in the future...getting to be a wus.
                                        Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                                        www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                                        Northern NV

Comment

Working...
                                        X