• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horses, Clearing Your Head, Road Work Irish Style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses, Clearing Your Head, Road Work Irish Style

Lately, I have been in not such a good place. Won't go into details, but lets just say some things that have been staring me blind in the face are only now being delt with. No don't worry this has nothing to do with letting my animals down or taking on too much or going crazy. Just some changes that have to be made. So needless to say, I've been a little depressed. I hide it well but for the last week, it's all been catching up.

My trainer rings me on Sunday night to tell me Abba needs food. No he's not chincey, it's just she's on that special non soy diet blah de blah de blah and he at least puts up with my non soy rule. Anywho, he tells me he's hacking out the 2 hunters and do I want to do a bit of road work in the morning. No thanks I say, just really not in a good place to be riding at the moment. That's all that was said.

So yesterday, I head over with the food and trainer says, "come on we've got 8 miles of road work to do." I'm like no way, didn't bring my gear and I told you I'm not really in a riding place. But of course he would have a helmet that fits my tiny head and I get pretty much a cop on retort. Fine fair enough, we set off. My hunter is 17 hands of pure ISH or something akin to a percheron in my book. He was absolutely a doll and trainer got me talking about all sorts of things to do with horses and by the end of 8 miles, I felt pretty darn good and have to admit the rest of my day was quite nice. OK, I did have a sore arse! But before CoTHer's put 4 and 4 together and get 10, this is nothing more than a friendship and it is nice to have friends such as these at the moment.

So today I went back over with my gear as I did feel a bit nekid without my chaps yesterday. Think we went further today. But it's amazing the scenery from the back of a horse. You see so much more than driving in a car. The little things you never take notice of suddenly come into focus. It was a mostly sunny gorgeous fall day with that wonderful crisp air. So I snapped a picture of us going over the overpass.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=004.jpg

OK not the greatest of pics, but you can see we are going over an overpass and there's a rainbow for added effect! Very hard for me to ride and snap pics so sorry I didn't get more. And you do also have to mind the traffic so not an easy task.

But have to admit, I am loving the hacking out on the roads. OK big grey wasn't too happy about it being trash day - hates the big plastic wheelie bins. And school letting out for recess was interesting but wow, it's just really fun. Also I never knew how many people in Ireland have donkeys. Really, you just miss that in the car.

So yeah, the outside of a horse is really good for the inside of the soul, or however that saying goes.

Terri

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

As the Irish would say: Grand!

good to hear you have sensible friends that know how to make you feel better!

Glad you put the world to rights. Whatever crap is being thrown your way, keep riding and you'll keep sane.

Oh, and the saying is: There's nothing so good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse... not sure who said it mind.

Comment

I hope all resolves well for you!

And yes. Sometimes I get to the barn, and I see my boy waiting at the gate, and he gives me that whicker...and then nothing seems quite that bad.
      www.specialhorses.org
      a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

• Original Poster

Things will be fine. I am so very lucky on so many different levels. Just sometimes you have to do what you know in your heart is right, even if it's a difficult decision.

Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Comment

Your trainer is a genius. Just hanging around horses keeps the world right-side-up sometimes.

I swear that saying is always attributed to Churchill, but it's recapitulated in the film Marnie as "Best thing in the world for the inside of a man or woman is the outside of a horse."
          "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Comment

Glad you have a trainer/friend who, without belabouring the pain of your sorrows and harping on them, can just quietly insist that you get you up and on your horse and hack out. Nothing better.
            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Fair Play!

Fair Play to your trainer! It is truly a gift to have trainers who know us so well. My trainers are much the same, knowing just when to push and always knowing me better than I know myself. We ar every luck to have these fantastic people in our lives.....and my trainer is an Irish man aswell....you are very wise men
              ~Ride the horse you have today. Not yesterday, not what he should be, nor what you thought he was.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, he is quite a good guy and his other clients are just super people too. So really you can't help but be in a good mood around that barn! Should clarify, the hunter isn't actually mine, he's just mine this week for riding until he goes off to the sales next week. Really great timing that he's around now!

Terri

Comment

OMG, I miss Ireland...

I always want to skip the barn when I'm feeling crappy and sorry for myself and stressed, and if I make myself go out and see my horse or ride, it really does always make me feel so much better. In fact, I should probably get off the computer and go to the barn now...
                  "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

That's the best thing I've read in weeks (well, read on COTH anyway.)

Good on you Terri. Horses rock.

Comment

Glad you've got something to keep your spirits up while you are having a hard time. Sometimes it is really difficult when you are feeling down about things to go and do the very thing that will make you feel better. It seems like a monumental task just to get up off the couch. But once we do it and get out to the barn, smell the smells, hear that soft nicker, whatever it is is not quite as bad as it was before. Perhaps the rainbow was a sign that all will be better soon.

Comment

more reinforcement that you don't need a therapist when you have a horse (or other animals, they all always make me feel better).

Comment

[QUOTE=SarahandSam;5167366]OMG, I miss Ireland...
                          QUOTE]

amen. Amen.
                          I could stare at that overpass pic for an hour. and i know, it's just an overpass. but, horseback! and ireland! and ISH'es!

le sigh.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well at one stage my trainer looked back and said, "what are you taking pictures of and for?" Well I'm taking pictures for CoTH of course. We don't get to much of this kind of thing back home! Oh yeah, he says, forgot you were a yank.

Gotta say, that was the only useable on out of 10! Some great ones of Rico's mane, the road, my hand, ect, ect.

Terri

Comment

Good on ya, Terri.
                              I've been going through a lot of tough personal stuff for the past year, and it never seems to let me go. Being around my boys helps me so much and helps me get perspective back.
                              I went for a short hack two evenings ago, and it made me feel so much more myself- my DSO said to me "This is what you look like after your rides" and plastered a big silly grin on his face that made me laugh! I bet you looked exactly the same way - kind of like the muddy t-shirt in Forrest Gump.
                              Glad you feel better too...I'm learning to deal with stuff in baby steps instead of trying to take everything on at once.
                              Happy riding!
                              Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
                              Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
                              http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

I have to say I know exactly what you're saying. I am apt to let my riding slide because there's just so much other work to be done. As I work at the barn where I keep my horse I don't even have the excuse of travel time. We have just gone through some staffing changes so we have a new guy who needs supervision, I am trying to learn a new job and I have to leave the farm at a certain time (need to get daughter off bus, family committments, etc). Many days I get to the farm and feel overwhelmed at 8:00 in the morning and choose not to ride. After a few days of this, I start to question everything (why am I doing this? why am I killing myself to work if I'm not riding? what is the point of being dirty and cold/hot all the time?). However, one decent ride on my big teddy bear of an ISH and things are good again. The sad part is that I repeat this cycle regularly. One would think that I would learn by now!

Comment

A few horrible falls and wrecks notwithstanding, there has seldom been a bad day in my life that wasnt improved by a ride.

Last spring when Mr jeano was hospitalized (on life support, outcome doubtful) there were several weeks when I couldnt ride--not because I couldnt make time for it or didnt want to, but because I knew that if I got myself killed there wouldnt be anyone handy to look after Mr jeano's or my ancient mother's interests. I was suddenly indispensable and had to keep myself as safe as I could for the sake of those who depend on me.

At one point, though, I begged a coworker to come ride with me when she foolishly asked me if there was anything she could do. I said, yeah, babysit me, call 911 if there's a wreck, and promise me that if you let the horse kill me that you'll take care of my loved ones. And durn if she didnt go for a very short pony ride at a walk around the pond with me (all she was up for, not having ridden in years). Saved my sanity, it did.

After mr jeano was home and doing well I continued to (mostly) not ride until he was cleared to drive again. At that point I was able to stop worrying about what might happen if I got hurt.

Equilibrium, my horses have gotten me through the breakup of my first marriage, deaths of family members and beloved pets, and on and on. Keep ridin' girl.

Comment

I should send this thread to some 'friends.'

I found myself getting somewhat 'ring sour' this spring and decided all the beasties were going 'out' whether they liked it or not. We do not hack on overpasses in NJ !!! But there are several very nice parks and trail systems within 15-25 minute trailer ride from my farm.

If I could only persuade my 'friends' to leave the arena and just go in a straight line for several miles I'm ohh so sure they'd be happier right now...

OP I'm glad you enjoy the 'roading.' I agree that there are times when I have found I just have to force myself to get on and go in a straight line. Yet another reason why being a 'well rounded' horseman is so essential.
                                    "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Working...
                                    X