• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horses as Pets...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses as Pets...

And by pets, I do not mean that we all refer to them as part of our family. I do that with some of my personal horses.

I am referring to the infuriating habit that seems to run rampant through the middle aged, insecure, nurturing mother type women in this industry. I am sick to death of this category treating their horses with the best of care, the best of life style, only to be so pathetically intimidated by their own personal short comings as to refuse under any circumstances to bring their skill sets up to a level whereby the horse does not run rough shod all over them, thus the horse never develops the coping skills to deal with situations outside the horses tiny bubble of a comfort zone. generally, the horse either ends up a nasty, ill mannered SOB or a cowering dangerous chicken s***. Both are hell to be around and down right dangerous.

Yes, this is a venting rant...

Horses are NOT cats. You can not love them into good behavior. They are not made of dynamite but they can hurt you. So learn some friggin' horse handling skills if you never put a leg over the damn horse.

I am up to my ears with this and were it not for my good upbringing, I would tell these women what for.

Why do women do this? and it seems to always involve some major personal short coming on the woman's side of the equation. They are perfectly able and capable of learning how to be the leader in a horse human partnership. They just make excuses or flat out refuse to change their relationship with the horse. It's kind of sick, actually, and I'm getting very tiring having to be around it.

Am I crazy or this an epidemic?
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

right on!!!!!!!
    What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

• Original Poster

and another thing....
      To be perfectly clear, I have absolutely no problem what so ever with folks that choose not to ride. That's fine, not my cup of tea but whatever.

I have a problem with people who board in a boarding barn situation and are surrounded by knowledgable horsemen with lots of opportunities to learn good ground skills and they. just. won't.

I have a problem with someone buying their first horse only a few years ago, being completely overwhelmed and stressed about learning how to handled said horse, having seven years opportunity to be surrounded by professional knowledge and not taking advantage of that knowledge, then building a barn in their backyard with the intention of rescueing neglected and abused horses.

There are certain behaviors that every domesticated horse should be expected to attempt learning in their lifetime. They are as follows>
      Lead politely
      Tie safely
      Allow humans to pick feet, bath wounds, administer medications
      To stop and go when asked

If you own a horse and you do not know how to keep a horse up to speed on these simple tasks, you are responsible as that horse owner to LEARN HOW TO TEACH IT!

I'm not talking little children. I'm talking able bodied, sound minded ADULTS.

And if you are not emotionally capable of handling the responsibilty of being the leader in your horse human relationship, GET A FISH!

Comment

I think it starts with calling yourself the animals "mother".
        I wonder what that makes me, when they call me my dog's "mother" at the vets?
        Some day, I will forget myself and answer, "do you mean I am a B"?

Yes, the world is changing and I wonder at times where it is going.

I am glad I am not training for the public any more.
        It was bad enough to retrain colts someone could not get started and had them bucking, rearing and bolting.
        It must be frustrating to add to that running over you looking for treats.

Comment

Well, if they could guarantee that the horse would never need to leave their farm or be handled by anyone else EVER, it wouldn't be a big deal. But, it usually doesn't happen that way, just like spoiled kids wind up out in the real world and make the rest of us suffer.
          I keep saying that we need Pony Club for grown-ups, but now how to get this type to go!
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
            I keep saying that we need Pony Club for grown-ups, but now how to get this type to go!
            I thought they had one.... wife mentioned it a while ago.....
            Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
            http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Belg View Post
              I thought they had one.... wife mentioned it a while ago.....
              Yes, there is one, but that would involve learning.

Comment

I knew a woman like this yrs ago. She had what could have been a very nice TB gelding, he needed a strong hand, and to be REGULARLY worked. She let him act like a total PITA. She tried Clinton Anderson, she sent him out for 30 days 3 or 4 times, but she would never ride him. She had a very talented up and coming rider at the barn ride him, but wouldn't let the girl be firm like he needed. One day the horse bucked the girl off, for no reason, and the woman WOULD NOT let the girl reprimand him. If he acted up, it was the saddle, not the fact that the horse needed his a** handed to him.
                I could tell you some other stories that would turn your hair white, but I don't want to take the chance that someone might recognize her!!

In situ like that and the ones referenced above, I feel for the horse, if anything happens, that's the kind of horse that's first on the meat truck. Especially in a market like this one.

I do have to say that I do fit into this category a tiny bit. I call myself "mommy" to my critters, never meant to , just happened. I have a horse that I feel "out horsed" by, tho I know I'm not. I don't ride him, but he does have ground manners, I don't play those games. He does have a forever home with me tho, if for any reason I can't keep him he gets the big pink shot.

LBR
                I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

• Original Poster

I think there should be a personality test before being allowed to purchase a horse. Like the three day hold gun law!

And if the test shows you are a cat person, no horse.

I like cats but let's face it. True Cat People are not Horse People.

I have a cat. I like my cat. But I don't understand having an animal live IN YOUR HOUSE that will puke, piss and crap where ever it wants, when ever it wants and YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT!!! This, my friends, is the definition of a person who should not own a 1000 pound herd animal in need of a leader.

I need a drink... (marches off in disgust...)

Comment

• Original Poster

Ladybug, don't worry. Listen, I too call the horses my kids. I affectionately refer to them all as ponies even though we don't have a pony on the place. But there is a huuuuuuuuuuge difference between having a little verbal sweet talk between you and your animals and being just a complete absolute pansy aarse who is too imtimidated by your own shadow to insist that horse ownership requires good boundaries and respect from the animal. IT MAKES THEM A HAPPIER ANIMAL!! the chicken s*** horse is begging for someone to lead them. And the SOB is begging for someone to take over the lead role so they can take a breather!

Calling yourself the mommy - not part of the definition.
                    Letting your horse drag your arse down the aisle without making one single attempt to inform the horse that this is not okay, hoping he stops before dragging you out of the barn = Grand Prize for best example of the definition.

And do you notice that so many of these women are always so worried about everything. Worried that their horse is happy, worried that their horse is stressed, worried when the horse gets old that the owner will have to "gasp" live without the horse! Worried worried worried. How about being worried that you are making a complete arse of yourself and annoying all the other strong minded women in the world over your complete inability to buck up and be resolute about something, anything in your pathetic life!!!!

I can not staaaaand weak women.

Comment

LOL, don't be hatin on cat people now!

Cat people and horse people do have overlapping qualities.

I suppose your cause of blowing off steam is a cat person...but I seem to see a lot more people out there who have not realized - since they lack the country roots - that horses are not like big dogs.

(besides, once you got kids, you are used to the puking and crapping, cats don't make that much of a mess anyhow!)

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                        Yes, there is one, but that would involve learning.
                        There is that!
                        Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
                        http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

Originally posted by winfieldfarm View Post
                          I think there should be a personality test before being allowed to purchase a horse. Like the three day hold gun law!

I have a cat. I like my cat. But I don't understand having an animal live IN YOUR HOUSE that will puke, piss and crap where ever it wants, when ever it wants and YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT!!! This, my friends, is the definition of a person who should not own a 1000 pound herd animal in need of a leader.

I need a drink... (marches off in disgust...)
                          Now, I disagree with that generalization.
                          I am an animal person in general, including a horse and dog and CAT person.
                          As you can see, cats are not all that you say, they even use the bathroom properly:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1287515080

I have also been a professional in the horse industry all my now long life.
                          They are not mutually exclusive, really.

There are all kinds of people, including those that are good with horses and cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasmine
                            There's a lady at my barn that HAD to buy a baby this spring. Simply insisted that she buy a foal. Several people suggested that she buy a mini, but no. She NEEDED a foal.

She's never ridden. Never owned a horse. Has no intention of ever riding.

I sold her one of my colts, and here's why:
                            She respects and accepts my advise. She wants to learn. She treats the colt like a horse and not a dog/cat/hamster.

The colt is nothing more than a pet. He will eventually be broke and ridden by this lady's daughter and grandchildren, but not her. He's spoiled rotten with treats and grooming, but he knows his boundaries.

Having horses as pets and nothing more isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Well, pet and pet. It's nice to know that one can be clueless and still able to learn. I don't think she was the target of the OP's vent, quiet the opposite.
                            There is nothing wrong with not riding, or even spoiling if the safety context is given. Horses don't need to be ridden. They can live happily without.

Comment

Since when don't dogs clean themselves in public or puke in the house? Is it just cats that deserve this diatribe? But, I digress.

Look, as far as I'm concerned I would far rather deal with someone's disrespectful horse than their disrespectful child. A friend of mine recently vented this same thing, wishing that people with horses should be required to get licenses before owning them. My reply, after recently dealing with the most bratty, disrespectful teenager in the barn ( who happened to be one of her students), was that I thought people should be required to get licenses before having kids. You would have thought I'd shot her. Totally stunned that I could have said that, but so totally understanding why.

Disrespectful kids may not weigh 1000 pounds, but they can be h*ll to deal with, and for a lot longer than a quickly corrected disrespectful horse. And they can talk back a wild blue streak while they're at it. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take the horse.
                              "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Originally posted by winfieldfarm View Post

I have a cat. I like my cat. But I don't understand having an animal live IN YOUR HOUSE that will puke, piss and crap where ever it wants, when ever it wants and YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT!!!
                                Hold 'er there, pardner! I'm a cat person, a dog person, a horse person...heck, I love and get along with all sorts of animals. My cats don't piss and crap wherever they want - and they are very polite to boot.

One of 'em even plays fetch.

I have to be honest though - I didn't get along with a bat I rescued one time. Had to give it a bath and it didn't want a bath. It obviously thought I was the most horrible creature ever born, and it did nothing but hiss and snarl at me during our entire (short) relationship. Can't really blame it though - a complete stranger tried to give me a bath, I'd probably do the same.

(And yes, I know. Bats, rabies, yada yada. Most bats don't have rabies, many are becoming endangered, and I wore long, heavy leather gloves.)

Liz

Comment

Here Here!

Originally posted by Chief2 View Post
                                  Since when don't dogs clean themselves in public or puke in the house? Is it just cats that deserve this diatribe? But, I digress.

Look, as far as I'm concerned I would far rather deal with someone's disrespectful horse than their disrespectful child. A friend of mine recently vented this same thing, wishing that people with horses should be required to get licenses before owning them. My reply, after recently dealing with the most bratty, disrespectful teenager in the barn ( who happened to be one of her students), was that I thought people should be required to get licenses before having kids. You would have thought I'd shot her. Totally stunned that I could have said that, but so totally understanding why.

Disrespectful kids may not weigh 1000 pounds, but they can be h*ll to deal with, and for a lot longer than a quickly corrected disrespectful horse. And they can talk back a wild blue streak while they're at it. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take the horse.
                                  Push comes to shove you can shove said disrespectful horse into his stall and walk away for a bit without offending them. I was taught not to give horses treats, didn't blanket them, shod all four feet for the trail horses and rode the stallions in mixed company all the time. Horses are livestock not pets. Then again I do name the cattle too...
                                  Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                                  Originally Posted by alicen:
                                  What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

"I am sick to death of this category treating their horses with the best of care, the best of life style"

There are worse things.
                                    I was a little offended at first, but I respect that this is just a rant. Have fun getting it off your chest.

Comment

Originally posted by prairiewind2 View Post
                                      Hold 'er there, pardner! I'm a cat person, a dog person, a horse person...heck, I love and get along with all sorts of animals. My cats don't piss and crap wherever they want - and they are very polite to boot.

One of 'em even plays fetch.

I have to be honest though - I didn't get along with a bat I rescued one time. Had to give it a bath and it didn't want a bath. It obviously thought I was the most horrible creature ever born, and it did nothing but hiss and snarl at me during our entire (short) relationship. Can't really blame it though - a complete stranger tried to give me a bath, I'd probably do the same.

(And yes, I know. Bats, rabies, yada yada. Most bats don't have rabies, many are becoming endangered, and I wore long, heavy leather gloves.)

Liz

Screw the rabies, my question is why were you giving a bat a bath? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by KateKat View Post
                                        Screw the rabies, my question is why were you giving a bat a bath? LOL
                                        He needed to use the batroom?

Comment

Working...
                                        X