• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rita Mae Brown Book Signing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rita Mae Brown Book Signing

She will be reading from her latest book "A Nose For Justice" (Not Hunt-themed) and signing/autographing/schmoozing at the Bailey's Crossroads Borders on Wednesday night at 7:30. It's a high-traffic area with lots of congestion, so if you wish to go, you'd best head out to sit in traffic for a bit and catch up on your reading, knitting, or whatever it is you do.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I'm going to have to read this one since one of the characters is a wire haired dachshund. I hope she has taken some of her readers' comments to heart and focused more on writing an entertaining mystery and less on the socio/political preaching.

Aside, are foxhunters really as anal about turnout and what brand of boot/coat/tack they have as the hunters in the "Sister Jane" books seem to be?
    I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by wireweiners View Post
      Aside, are foxhunters really as anal about turnout and what brand of boot/coat/tack they have as the hunters in the "Sister Jane" books seem to be?
      YMMV when it comes to what they are anal about and to what degree. It depends a great deal on what kind of person they are off the horse.
      Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

I hope she has taken some of her readers' comments to heart and focused more on writing an entertaining mystery and less on the socio/political preaching.
        Srsly? The woman who wrote Rubyfruit Jungle isn't allowed to comment on the state of society? She should just stick to ponies and pussycats?
        I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

[QUOTE=wireweiners;5151150]I'm going to have to read this one since one of the characters is a wire haired dachshund. I hope she has taken some of her readers' comments to heart and focused more on writing an entertaining mystery and less on the socio/political preaching.

Nope. She did get in a few political digs and opinions.I'm reading it now and I think I like the Sister Jane and Harry Hairsteen books better. It seems a bit disjointed and almost like two stories, although they are connected. Maybe it's just me!

Comment

I love the hunt and Harry H books ~ will probably not read this one ~
            Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
              Srsly? The woman who wrote Rubyfruit Jungle isn't allowed to comment on the state of society? She should just stick to ponies and pussycats?
              I have no problem with her politics, not my cup of tea, but this reminds me of the time I was in our huge great bookstore (run out of business by barnes and noble, sadly) and looking for more of her cat and dog and hunting books, and I was directed to an, uh alternative lifestyle area in the bookstore. Only book I opened, and quickly closed, was Rubyfruit Jungle.
              Then a few years ago Amazon.com put me on some list of new books for that lifestyle since I had ordered several of her cat mystery books from Amazon. I had to email them and say I was on the dog and cat and horse list, not the alternative lifestyle list.

And will the dog and cats be there to sign books?

Comment

If she wants to write socio/political commentary that's fine, just don't mix it with the ponies and pussycat books. I read the Mrs. Murphy and Sister Jane books and others of that genre simply for mind candy. When I want something serious, I'll look in the serious book section. I don't mind a little of it but her last few books were really hard to get through because of the excess preaching.

Comment

I've just started on the third Sister Jane novel.... so I was drawn to this topic, then, out of curiousity had to look up the Rubyfruit Jungle etc... My goodness, the things you learn on Wikipedia. She outed Fannie Flagg? Loved her writing too.
                  ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Originally posted by SmartAlex View Post
                    My goodness, the things you learn on Wikipedia. She outed Fannie Flagg? Loved her writing too.
                    If you were into women's tennis in the seventies, you'd love her book about the pro tennis circuit - I think it's called Sudden Death. She had the inside scoop on everyone's little idiosyncrasies.
                    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

She was close to Martina Navartolova (sp). And the professional basketball player.

I do love the cat and dog investigators. Both are good crime solvers and the horses and foxes have some good ideas also about people and animals.

Comment

I read the Mrs. Murphy and Sister Jane books and others of that genre simply for mind candy. When I want something serious, I'll look in the serious book section. I don't mind a little of it but her last few books were really hard to get through because of the excess preaching.
                        Fair enough. I don't know if you'd like Nose for Justice or not then.

I haven't really noticed any preaching in her other books. Sometimes her characters state political viewpoints. But then, people do that IRL.

Nose for Justice has a lot to do with water rights and development in the desert. I'm not in love with it so far. I think maybe it's just so far out of the realm of my experience - I live in a swamp, for crissakes - that I'm having trouble relating.

Comment

I haven't really noticed any preaching in her other books. Sometimes her characters state political viewpoints.
                          Now and then Sister Jane goes off on socioeconomic tangents which tend to zone me out. But hey, I just skim them to get back to the talking foxes.

I do find some of her midevil history and Shakespeare references interesting. She is obviously highly educated and intellectual.
                          ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Fair enough. I don't know if you'd like Nose for Justice or not then.

I haven't really noticed any preaching in her other books. Sometimes her characters state political viewpoints. But then, people do that IRL.

Nose for Justice has a lot to do with water rights and development in the desert. I'm not in love with it so far. I think maybe it's just so far out of the realm of my experience - I live in a swamp, for crissakes - that I'm having trouble relating.
                            I did some studying on water rights in law school so maybe it'll be interesting. I have a Master of Laws in agricultural law but work for Arkansas DHS, go figure. I'll read the book just because it has a wire dachsie in it. You very seldom see them featured in mainstream literature.

Comment

Originally posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
                              ... Only book I opened, and quickly closed, was Rubyfruit Jungle.
                              Then a few years ago Amazon.com put me on some list of new books for that lifestyle since I had ordered several of her cat mystery books from Amazon. I had to email them and say I was on the dog and cat and horse list, not the alternative lifestyle list.
                              What turned you off Rubyfruit so quickly? It's a pretty well-written growing up/coming of age story -- even if it doesn't have horses, dogs or cats, and I usually prefer to read books with one or more of those in them!

What bothers me more about RMB's recent books is how thrown together they seem, and how many inconsistencies she puts in from book to book. The first few Sister Jane books were so good, and the very first one was a real NOVEL to me (meaning of more literary depth than a cozy mystery, not that mysteries aren't great and I read lots of them myself, but Outfoxed set out such a complex and fascinating world), then Sister Jane's books became a series and new ones started getting cranked out rapidly. Details quickly were wrong from book to book, such as the color of some of the fox characters changed from grey to red, things like that -- I quickly felt like I cared more about Sister Jane's world than the author or editors did, since I could at least keep character details straight!

Same with the Mrs. Murphy books, although they were obviously intended as a series right from the beginning.

I don't love the sermonizing but I can deal with it and it wouldn't turn me off her books -- but the thrown-together slapdash quality has kept me from buying the recent entries in either the Sister Jane or Mrs. Murphy series.
                              Last edited by Rallycairn; Oct. 13, 2010, 09:47 AM.
                              If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

I agree - I recently went back and re-read Outfoxed and it was in a different class altogether from the rest of the series. Sister Jane kind of jumped the shark for me a few books back.

Which foxes changed species? I didn't notice.

Comment

p'Aint -- Comet, at least. Introduced in the closing pages of Chapter 1 of Outfoxed as Butch's son and Inky's brother, and therefore a grey, and is a grey throughout that book and Hotspur, on p. 349 of the mass market pb edition of Full Cry is described thus, "Comet, bright red, crossed the open field ..."

Also in the mass market of Full Cry, the horse Cloud Nine jumps around from being a mare to a gelding; some examples: p. 148 "Nine's her barn name .... incredible stride once she gets into it. Tucks those front knees right under her ..." So not just a passing reference to a mare but several sentences with multiple uses of feminine gender words to describe her. Then on p. 209 "... she saw Sam Lorillard struggling with Cloud Nine. He finally got the big gelding straightened out ..." and it goes on. Again not just one wrong pronoun but several sentences. I think Nine flips gender several times in that book.

Those are just some quick examples -- if I dug I could give more, like she's very inconsistent with which characters ultimately ended up with Fontaine's various horses after Outfoxed. I find those inconsistencies A LOT in RMB and for me it is jarring and careless, as I said, and it makes me feel like I give a bigger hoot about the world of the books than the author herself does -- so I'm left wondering why I SHOULD care.

I would rather have had far fewer Sister Jane books and had them be comparable in quality and depth to Outfoxed. When I first read that one, even with the murder mystery element, I had hopes there would not be a series. Outfoxed is indeed something special. The rest are enjoyable for me until the Custis Hall girls start featuring in multiple books (they were fine as subplots for one book but I don't find them compelling as recurring characters) and until RMB apparently couldn't decide what to do with Crawford -- big subplot with him starting his own pack in one book, but that whole thing seems to be fizzling away by the very next book IIRC.

I hope she just drops that series unless she has something meaningful to say about, for example, Sister and Gray or a truly good idea for a mystery, not just a contractual commitment to fulfill.
                                  If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PuritySue

Look under "Literature." The first couple books weren't like that.
                                    Author Page
                                    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Am a huge RMB fan but couldn't get through this new one. I used to review books for various magazines and I was always thrilled to be sent one of her books. I hate the fact I'd have to pan this book so am glad I'm no longer doing reviews!
                                      R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

Comment

Working...
                                      X