• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What vices do your human children have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What vices do your human children have?

DH told me the other day that DD is starting to crib, and sure enough she's started chewing on her crib. She also weaves when waiting to be picked out of her crib.

What vices do your kids have.

Any ideas for a humane cribbing strap for a 9mo old?

My son is a stall kicker. When he wants out of his crip he bangs on the bars. He's also horrible for the farrier, takes 2 people to clip his nails! However he's an easy keeper who bathes and travels well.

Comment

Mine clips, loads, stands well to be shod but is a very difficult keeper. Definitely NOT an airfern. We have tried almost constant grazing but keeping weight on is difficult.

Comment

Mine is a classic TB mare. Refined, lean, catty and powerful. She comes with the typical TB mare vices - opinionated, picky eater, alpha mare on the playground. She tempers it, just like a good mare does, by being sweet, stunningly beautiful and maternally kind. As my mother in law says, cats don't make dogs... I'm a TB mare too, but of the redheaded variety. Baby girl is a bay. Thank goodness, we don't need two chestnut mares in the same paddock!
        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
        ---
        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Oh they fight horribly in turnout.
          Yet when I try solitary turnout, they get into each other's paddocks.

Other than that, they are good at the trainer's, easy keepers, and haul well.

Comment

My nephew has a completely non-equine vice: shrieks a LOT. My mare has lately been calling her boyfriend when standing next to my EAR, which I don't love. But I don't know what to call this vice, other than annoying.

Nephew is a picky eater, always trying to break out of his stall (the front door has a new safety latch about 6' off the ground), but is starting to take to more of his training better. Will be big and athletic, but definitely a hand full. Will definitely need a job.
            I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
            I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

LOL funny thread...

I've got two opposites. One high maintenance, opinionated, willful type. Everything is hard and fast as long as it is her idea. Either giggling non stop or screaming her head off. Mare-ish and high strung. Type A all the way. Goes through clothes and shoes like no tomorrow. Exotic, athletic, sensitive skin, sensitive hair, I spend more on her products than I do my own. (And she's 4!) She'd be the kind of horse you admire but not the kind you want to ride. She'd be a pro ride all the way!! Arabian mare maybe?

The other is mellow, laid back, and easy to please. Chubby, sweet and always smiling. In your pocket type. His only vice is that he likes to eat a lot and prefers company to being alone. Perfect ammie horse. Though I think he might turn into a bit of a bruiser once he is mobile. Think cute lil Haflinger...
              We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

not biologically mine

ok so these two aren't biologically mine but i nanny them so maybe i'm the nanny mare and the trainer?

TWINS!
                one mare: very sweet but sensitive, not spooky but very "looky" at new situations, mare-ish at times and incredibly adept at getting out of her pasture (bouncer/crib/seat) and will resort to violence if restrained against her will. started cribbing recently but only due to teething. prone to colic and a hard keeper. get lots of supplements. loves to roll. not a kicker. very vocal when separated from herdmates.

one gelding:easy keeper! total pocket pony with no awareness of personal space, not spooky but doesn't like loud noises, very calm on the ground but will be forward under saddle as he's always on the move, def. a bucker and prefers to get around by bucking while lying on his back and kicking his feet- very interesting to watch. stall kicker to the extreme- is it wrong to consider hobbles for a six month old?
                Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
                Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Comment

Originally posted by skip916 View Post
                  ok so these two aren't biologically mine but i nanny them so maybe i'm the nanny mare and the trainer?

TWINS!
                  one mare: very sweet but sensitive, not spooky but very "looky" at new situations, mare-ish at times and incredibly adept at getting out of her pasture (bouncer/crib/seat) and will resort to violence if restrained against her will. started cribbing recently but only due to teething. prone to colic and a hard keeper. get lots of supplements. loves to roll. not a kicker. very vocal when separated from herdmates.

one gelding:easy keeper! total pocket pony with no awareness of personal space, not spooky but doesn't like loud noises, very calm on the ground but will be forward under saddle as he's always on the move, def. a bucker and prefers to get around by bucking while lying on his back and kicking his feet- very interesting to watch. stall kicker to the extreme- is it wrong to consider hobbles for a six month old?
                  Gelding?! Whoa...

I have one stallion and one colt. Colt's going through the testing stage - will need a few sweaty blankets and more round pen work before I'll consider him completely broke. Not a biter or a kicker, though - there's that. Bucks a bit, though, but he's easy to straighten out.

The stallion finished high school. Airs above ground need polishing, but he's finished and really ready to go.
                  Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Comment

I have one she's a flaxen chestnut sensitive and very marish. Middle of the herd for turn out though young stallions will meet her hooves if get too pushy. She's definitely Arab with high intelligence, stubbornness, and inability to decide how to deal with something new. Kicks like fire for the farrier and vet though neat in appearance at all times. She's currently going through a growth spurt though they never seem to affect her looks. Good to feed and not picky though keeping weight on her is a daily challenge. Convinced she is the supermodel of the herd and will pose if cameras are pointed at her.
                    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                    Originally Posted by alicen:
                    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

Mine is mouthy and disrespectful. Does Linda Parelli do kids?
                      I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

Mine is not forward going particularly if there is a television on anywhere in his immediate vicinity. Generally he is lazy and wishes to evade work, but he does not buck or crow hop when asked to perform. He does mutter -- it could possibly be a sign of roaring since it does get louder when he has to speed up.
                        Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                        http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

DD is feisty, somewhat herdbound. Has been known to squeal at the alpha mare (me) from time to time. Is also quite sensitive, though, and will shut down if she thinks that the trainers have gotten too harsh with her (as in raising voices at all). Hauls well, but does go through shoes way too regularly. Normally a pretty easy keeper, but will definitely get upset when she is hungry. Recently discovered males, which worries me.

BTW - Wireweiners - do you have weimaraners or some cross? I have one of those, too!
                          A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Our son requires A LOT of turnout (he's 5) and refuses to have his mane shortened, especially not with clippers. He needs a lot of urging to do most commands, and I can frequently be heard clucking at him. He is athletic, though, and has - on occasion - free jumped the couch. Great bascule and seems to have a long stride.

Our daughter just turned 2 (I have papers to prove it). She hasn't yet learned to stand while being groomed, yet, but she does seem to retain her training otherwise. She's less active than her full brother (same stallion and dam) but seems to exhibit the same amount of presence. She's tall for a filly and should grow into her legs eventually.

Comment

My redheaded filly was quite a handful at weaning time(first day of Kindergarten). She whinnied for me for almost a week, refused to eat, and tried to kick the grooms. The other weanlings in the group seemed to have no problem and settled in very nicely. Being the broodmare that I am-she is my 4th foal (and last), I thought she'd be more independent. I guess the redheaded theory is true.

Comment

Hahahaaaa! Great thread!
                                Mine are both just about finished and ready to go.
                                The stallion is laid back, easy going, stands perfectly for the clippers, self-loads, travels well and is extremely respectful. An easy keeper, fit and strong. Tends to get a little distracted by outside mares though.
                                The mare is headstrong, opinionated, and feisty. Tends to be looky. Does not load as well as her brother, when trying to get her to load for an event, she usually fusses and gets distracted and makes us late. Once loaded, she is antsy, busy and anxious to be unloaded. Settles in well once we have arrived. An air fern, likes to graze all day long. Very athletic and focused when in regular work. And yes, she gets very distracted by outside stallions...
                                ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

LOVE This thread! Though DD was NOT impressed with her description and wishes to tell everyone she does not kick the farrier just the vet and that she loads and trailers much nicer than her much younger 1/2 sister. I reminded her the 1/2 sister is not weaned yet and therefore no determinations can be made of character or temperament until then.
                                  Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                                  Originally Posted by alicen:
                                  What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

My 8 yr old keeps a messy stall, is a picky eater and likes to buck (authority).

Requires constant reminders of the parameters of acceptable behaviour. High energy level, requires a great deal of exercise.

However, he is kind to all, human and animal and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Is a sensitive soul under the tough guy demeanour and will still snuggle with the alpha mare if he is sure no one else can see

Comment

Originally posted by 4Martini View Post

Any ideas for a humane cribbing strap for a 9mo old?
                                      Have you tried electric perimeter wire or red hot pepper?

Comment

My two year old is an OTTB, very energetic and requires all day turnout.

Comment

Working...
                                        X