• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Use Of Neck Stretcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Of Neck Stretcher

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1285101224

Thoughts? I think it may really help Chester, and one of my Facebook friends uses it/loves it. Anyone else have feedback?
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

I use neck stretchers on all of my horses. The key is to make sure they are long enough that they can reach down and out. You don't want it set up so that when they try to reach down and stretch and round that they are forced to go behind the bit. I use those more then sidereins. I teach all my students how to use them, and you wouldn't believe the difference in how the horses use themselve, the muscle build up, and how much more round they go. I will note I have never used the dover one. I made ours out of surgical tubing as it has a lot of stretch and I can just grab the right size for that horse.

Comment

Good tool in some instances. But if you don't know how to use it, I would recommend holding off until you can get a demo from an experienced trainer. Then you can evaluate whether it will help your horse or if another method would be more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasha View Post
        Good tool in some instances. But if you don't know how to use it, I would recommend holding off until you can get a demo from an experienced trainer. Then you can evaluate whether it will help your horse or if another method would be more appropriate.
        Very right Pasha. I should have said I show all of my students how to properly use it and work with them a few times before I have them do it on their own. And still every now and then I still every now and then check on how they are doing.

Comment

How is this different from a Chambon?
          pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Comment

Info on neck stretcher to consider before using:
            http://www.compassionatehorsetrainin...Stretcher.html

GrayCatFarm, the neck stretcher is very different in action from the chambon. The chambon goes from between the horse's front legs to the browband, then down to the bit. It releases pressure with any lowering of the pole and does not really work to affect the head. It encourages lowering and stretching, with bit pressuer that is straight up, so against the corners and not the bars/palate.

The Chambon is meant for lunging, not for riding. It is not a head set device, but rather meant to stretch out the back (so you want the back free of weight).

The neck stretcher on the other hand pulls down on the pole and down/back on the mouth. It tends to encourage the horse to break and the third vertebra rather than at the pole.
            Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Thank you, CHT!

Am currently using Chambon on a horse and it does exactly as you said. We start with lunging to remind him that it's there, but we are also using it for riding and for jumping small stuff with trainer supervision. If he doesn't throw his head up, it is not active at all. He is beginning to appreciate that he actually controls the pressure, and it is encouraging him to round with a rider. His upward transitions are greatly improved. Looking forward to the day I can say that about his downward transitions.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm, with further thought.. are they "his" transitions, "our" transitions or "my" transitions? It is a team effort after all!

Okay, back to topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Couture TB View Post
                  I use neck stretchers on all of my horses.
                  Originally posted by Couture TB View Post
                  Very right Pasha. I should have said I show all of my students how to properly use it and work with them a few times before I have them do it on their own. And still every now and then I still every now and then check on how they are doing.
                  Hi CoutureTB. Can you elaborate on why you use the neck stretcher on all of your horses? It sounds like you use it every ride as part of the tack, and I'm wondering what you find the utility of it to be for you and your lesson riders.

The only time I've ever decided to use a neck stretcher is when I'm lunging a young horse that's going well using voice commands, prior to going to side reins. Personally, I would NEVER ride with this device, so I'm curious if we're talking about the same thing. This is essentially a bungee cord that goes over the poll, through the bit, and attaches underneath the horse at the girth.

Comment

I have all those tools in my basement too somewhere, a neck stretcher, a chambon, de gogue, harbrdige rein, Abott-Davis training rein,... all are along a similar line.

Very important to realize that especially under saddle these things are only of some use when you are sure to have a well forward horse, coz you can end up with the pretty down head set and horse nevertheless not engaging his hindend sufficiently and stepper under deep enough.

What bothers me about many of those is that often they are not comfortable to a horse, especially when attached to the girth in between the forelegs. You start cantering and it rubs & hits the chest. You don't see it, coz you are sitting on top, a harbridge always chaffed my horse's chest and it would hit his chest when cantering.

And like was mentioned before often those gadgets are not long enough, I know they are not for my 18hh-ers.

It's seldom the horse can fully stretch it's neck down to relax on a long rein in between schooling plus if the horse honestly spooks at something, I can tell you the damn gadget is big time in your way, coz it doesn't help you to help the horse relax and overcome the thing that spooked them and because their heads are forced down, restricted to bring head up to look at what's scaring them, it makes them ever more spooky.

I'm very okay about them for lunging, not for riding.

Comment

Here's a C&P of what I wrote recently on the Dressage Forum:

I'm venturing over from H/J land since the title caught my eye. Unfortunately I think the neck stretchers are a bit too popular over here so I've seen them widely used. I have one in my bag of tricks that I will break out on rare occasions to give the horse a "frame of reference". I start the ride with it loose so he can feel the movement but absolutley no restriction even if there was a giraffe impression. After a 5-10 minute walk warm up I adjust it down, walk another minute or two for the horse to get accustomed to the feel then start the trot work. I've found that the horses tend to seek the steady contact of the neck stretcher and when properly adjusted for the individual it gives them soft boundaries to help them understand where to place their body. At most I'll do maybe 15 minutes of trot work in the stretcher then take it off, thereby allowing the horse to "remember" the feel of where the stretcher put him without it acting as a boundary. I won't put a stretcher on a horse if I can't make it totally loose, usually I'll create a baling twine loop if I need to fit the behemoths. I absolutely won't even try a neck stretcher or draw reins on a horse who tends to curl behind when they get concerned, I feel that the neck stretcher causes them to worry about being blocked so they curl up even worse. Anyway, might not be the most typical H/J use of the neck stretcher, but then I did spend a couple years under a dressage coach before returning to the Hunters.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=269539
                      "Beware the hobby that eats."
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X