Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Spin off from losing a horse. Burial on property vs Haul Off Remains.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spin off from losing a horse. Burial on property vs Haul Off Remains.

So my old horse Stoli is going to be put down on Thursday (there is another thread about that). My vet suggested a "haul off" service and the horse would be buried at a land fill. Alternatively, I could have him buried on my property. I know cremation is an alternative for some but that would be way too expensive for me plus I don't think it's available where I live. All things equal, I guess I would rather have him here (buried on the property) and know where he is. Be able to sit by his grave etc. But it is more "hassle" to arrange for a back hoe and I have to make a decision quickly. I have not yet compared pricing and so if one is a lot more than the other that may influence my decision. Can folks weigh in on what they have done and how they felt about it afterwards? My property is not big but it is legal to bury here and not located near any bodies of water. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this from others. Thank you.

I've done both, but where I am the man who picks up a euthanized horse comes with his tractor on the flatbed and will bury on your property or transport elsewhere for the same fee.

My own horses are here, some boarders are here, others were taken away as their owners wished, either for cremation or disposal elsewhere. I even have a friends' beloved horse that she had nowhere to bury here under a tree.

I kind of like having them here in their own pastures, but it never bothered me to have to send one elsewhere, it's only the shell left anyway.

Comment

Animal burial is not an option where I live. I have no problem with my horse going to the rendering plant. Once the spirit has left the body, it is just a empty shell anyway.

Comment

Better check your local laws before you bury.

We are lucky to have a couple of neighbours with backhoes, so we have several buried and we have lots of land. Last time I think we paid her a couple hundred dollars. We have a tractor and can bury them ourselves.
        If you go this route, have the hole dug before the Vet comes, then you can do the deed right beside the hole.

The deadstock people for our area are a couple hours away and need to be booked in advance. You don't want to leave the body laying around for coyote or other critters. It's been years since I last used them, but would call them if I couldn't get a hole dug.

Comment

My young rider horse is buried at her retirement farm. They had a nice safe place (not in an in-use pasture) under some trees. Around here, burying is not legal so horses are typically taken to the rendering plant or cremated.

Comment

I have buried horses, had them hauled off and composted one. I am neutral on all methods as to me the body is just a shell. I did have a difficult time telling certain people that we had composted one, but it was the least expensive, most readily available option at the time. That being said, I would compost again.
            "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

31 years ago, when I PTS’d my 29 yr old and then the 27 yr old, I was not able to bury them and had to have them hauled away. I still haven’t gotten over that.

We now have 25 acres and three of my second group of horses is laid to rest on this farm, as will my last two horses when their end times get here.

There are also 11 dogs and nine cats laid to rest in the smaller side of the Pet Sematary. Some of them are rescues who didn’t make it. Three dogs belonged to neighbors and I kept them when their families moved to town and couldn’t take them.

Hugs and best wishes whatever you decide - it’s something that never gets easier ——

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks all. Greatly appreciated. I guess to me there is some solace in knowing that the remains are close by. Like my dear little kitty Essie who passed in January. Her headstone is just a plain granite boulder but I know she is there. I don't suppose it really makes logical sense. More of a feeling/desire to know that my treasured one is here (vs. in a grave at a landfill). I guess I'm sentimental. Still trying to wrap my head around the impending loss of Stoli.

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post
                  I have buried horses, had them hauled off and composted one. I am neutral on all methods as to me the body is just a shell. I did have a difficult time telling certain people that we had composted one, but it was the least expensive, most readily available option at the time. That being said, I would compost again.
                  tell me more about the composting process...
                  Humans dont mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. Sebastian Junger

Comment

Originally posted by Bogey2 View Post

At the time we lived on a dairy farm, and had a large composting area for dead stock. The animal you are composting is placed on a bed of manure and used shavings, then covered with the manure and shavings as well. You need to have the right combination of materials in order to get the compost pile to heat up properly. With larger animals, the composting process can take anywhere from 4 months on. Our pile was turned after so many months to reheat the pile and allow of other animals to be added. After the appropriate amount of time needed to safely compost, the pile was loaded out and spread over fields as fertilizer.

It is a very viable method for disposal if burial is not an option due to water issues.
                    "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by Bogey2 View Post

It is very interesting and I think a very good idea if you can be prepared for it (not an emergency euthanasia).

Here is the information on it.

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/horsefs.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by PonyPenny View Post
                        Animal burial is not an option where I live. I have no problem with my horse going to the rendering plant. Once the spirit has left the body, it is just a empty shell anyway.
                        Same here.
                        2 of the 4 I've lost were euthed at the vet hospital at a teaching facility so donated for research and students' practice.
                        The other 2 went to landfill.
                        I mourn all 4 the same, but do not regret the inability to bury on my land.

Of course, I still have the urn with 50% DH's ashes.
                        His daughter has the balance & sometimes I regret not giving her the whole.
                        Remains - to my mind - are not what you lost.
                        That lives on in my heart & mind.
                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Keep in mind that if you do decide to have them hauled away to be composted or cremated...they have to get there somehow. IME, this usually means they get loaded onto a flatbed trailer after they are deceased, which still requires a large tractor and chains to be able to lift them off the ground. If you don't have access to this on your farm, you'll have to hire to have it done.
                          Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not. Remember that what you have now was once among the many things that you only hoped for.

Comment

With cremation, most companies do not cremate the entire horse. So if you (general) are the type that feels uncomfortable with the body ending elsewhere, a cremation is not likely to be the answer for you (general). IIRC, they cremate head, hooves, heart, and some other -- but not the entire body.

It was $300 when I had to bury Spooky, that was 8 years ago in SC. I think the price will be relative to the area, but I did have to have a horse PTS during an off-farm lease a couple of years ago and the quotes were ballpark the same, in MA.

Composting deceased livestock is done regularly here, I live right next to a major cow farm. They'll pull a hole in the existing manure pile, inter the cow whole, and cover. It's not really feasible in a small scale operation (you need a significant mound of manure/fill), and, be prepared -- it has a very distinct smell. I haven't observed any sort of appreciable science to the method, I ride by the composting pile on the regular and they pull it out with a big bulldozer and regularly fertilize the fields with it. Sometimes that means you walk past a half-decayed corpse, and the wildlife are quick to pick it off.

It's a very viable method for major livestock + produce farms, but you need heavy machinery.

Thinking of you and Stoli, OP. ((Hugs))
                            AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

OP I'm so sorry about your horse.

I used to have the horses taken away for cremation, but that guy got in trouble with authorities for air emissions violations and operating his business without proper licenses. In hindsight I feel a bit bad for having supported a business that was skirting environmental laws--judging by his ramshackle truck that he picked up the horses with, I probably should have known he was cowboying it. So, the last few have been buried here. On-site burial is not really much more hassle-- whether you do burial or haul-off, you're still stuck trying to arrange the timing relative to the vet visit.

If you don't already have a prior biz relationship with an excavator: look for an excavator who has their equipment very close to you, whether that's because they're based in your neighborhood, or they already have another job in your neighborhood so they can just move the equipment over to you for a quick job. So as you drive around today, keep an eye out for any construction projects nearby, and make note of the logo on the excavator or job trucks at that site.

Personally I don't think it's necessary to have the hole dug in advance. As long as you can get your excavator company out within 24hrs and you can keep the carcass well-covered, it's fine. What I do is book the vet for a morning farm call, and book the excavator who lives near me to swing by late afternoon (when he's on his way back home from other bigger projects). It's about a 60-90min job to dig and re-cover the hole (we have an easy site-- if you have rocks or challenging terrain, will be more). The cost of an excavator will vary widely by locale. My costs have been $350-450. Helps to use a local guy who can squeeze in the job on his way home from other jobs, and I pay cash.

Bogey2 Here is a composting brochure: http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/horsefs.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Abbie.S View Post
                                Keep in mind that if you do decide to have them hauled away to be composted or cremated...they have to get there somehow. IME, this usually means they get loaded onto a flatbed trailer after they are deceased, which still requires a large tractor and chains to be able to lift them off the ground. If you don't have access to this on your farm, you'll have to hire to have it done.
                                In north Texas there is Pine Hill... we have a "family plot" there....all of our horses are buried in our plot. They have provided nothing but extremely courteous service ... treated each body as though it were their own horse.

Yes they pickup by trailer, but each horse is handled with respect.

Since we have several buried there, the question is asked do you want George buried next to Foxie or Mulligan ...had to be Foxie as Hillary would be buried next to Mulligan as she spent nearly all her life worshiping the ground he walked on and that is where she is now.

Comment

I have done both. We have a rendering service here that comes to haul away the horse, it is $275 and they are extremely professional. They will also euthanize the horse for you (shoot) if necessary- which sounds awful but it really isn't. I'm not sure on what backhoe operation runs as we've always either used the one we have at work or borrowed a family member's
                                  No mourners, no funerals

Comment

When I had to euthanize my mare a few years back, there was really nowhere suitable on the property to bury her and because it all happened very suddenly, I'm not sure we would've been able to arrange it timely anyway. She was picked up by a local dead livestock hauler to be taken to the rendering plant. This may go without saying, but if you go this route please leave the area while it is happening. I have watched a dead horse (not mine) be moved by heavy equipment - it's not how I'd want to remember a beloved animal. Other than asking my vet to take her halter off and snip some mane for me, I left immediately after her pulse stopped.

I think having some mane was a fitting memento - I braided it and put it with her halter in a shadowbox along with some pictures of us cross-country schooling. I think it's a better memory for me than ashes would be anyway - and as a young adult renting an apartment with roommates, that was the only way I would've had to keep her close.

Comment

My horses mean the world to me but burial is not ( never has been) an option where I have lived. I have no issue with using a renderer and to be brutally honest once they are dead that is about it and the horse I loved is gone and just a body remains . For me it is time to grieve and move on.

Comment

When I had to euthanize my beloved Hackney pony, it happened to be right when I was having a new well drilled. The well driller needed to dig a six-foot hole for dirt to use to make a temporary stream for runoff, and he offered to dig it wherever I wanted. He dug it, I led the pony to the side of the grave, the vet did the injections, and my husband took care of the burial. For the next horse a few years later, we were kind of stuck on finding someone to dig a grave. It turned out our well driller was working in the neighborhood, and we made a deal with him to dig another grave for us. We handled the rest of the burial the same way.

My last pony died far away from the others, as we'd moved from Colorado to South Carolina after the first two died, and he was boarded near where we lived after the move. I had a close relationship with the BO and her family. Her husband offered to bury my pony on their land, which was a perfect solution as the pony had been very happy living there. No one involved had a backhoe, but the BO's husband knew someone who would rent one very reasonably. So I paid for the rental, and the BO's family buried my sweet boy for me. They wouldn't accept any payment for their time.

I don't tend to visit graves because the body that is left doesn't really have meaning for me--the memories are what is precious. But I do get back to visit the folks who lived next door to me in Colorado, and I find myself saying hi to the two horses that are buried near the common fenceline. And when I drive past the barn where my last pony was boarded, I say hi to him, too. Regardless, they all live on in my head and I frequently dream that they are all still alive and well.

Rebecca

Comment

Working...
                                        X