Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Favorite must have items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite must have items?

Starting in October, I’m doing a full lease for the first time. I’ve been half leasing for a few years so I’m not “new” to this but this will be my first full lease. I’m over the moon and I definitely have the urge to buy all the things.

So hit me up - what’s your favorite must haves? What product are you drooling over right now? Personally I have an addiction to Lemieux saddle pads and pink everything.

Well while you are buying the LeMieux saddle pads, get their furry boots as well, and the over reach boots, they are gorgeous!

Also build up a collection of HAAS brushes, yes you need them the right type for your colour of horse. Then engrave your name in them deeply, and hire an armed guard! My gorgeous beautiful Diva brush is the one single item that has gone walk about in 7 years of boarding.
    "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Original Poster

Omg yes! I own a few Haas brushes, I should definitely get some more. I haven’t quite gotten to engraving them yet - that’s a cool option.

Comment

The Ultimate Hoofpick. Expensive for a hoofpick but worth every penny.

Carr & Day & Martin Canter Silk Mane & Tail Conditioner. It's like Show Sheen but SO much nicer and isn't as damaging to their tails.

Carr & Day & Martin GALLOP shampoo. Do the different colors really make a difference? I don't know, but it's fun to pick things for your color of horse and it's also a really nice shampoo. Washes and rinses well, smells nice but not overly fragrant.

Equestrian Stockholm pads and bonnets. They are all I use, and I'm obsessed. They're having an accessories sale right now (boots, bonnets, wraps, etc.)

Comment

The Tiger Tongue sponge! I have the Haas brushes in the appropriate coat color classification. And I go to the Tiger Tongue very day to get the scruff off before currying. Some days, it is all I use.
          RIP Mydan Mydandy+
          RIP Barichello

Comment

I am always complimented on how shiny my lease horse is and my usual routine is to just briskly run a Tiger’s Tongue over him to bring up dirt, go back over with a Haas Lipizzaner, pick hooves and call it a day.

I have also been an Effol hoof ointment devotee for years and randomly bought Absorbine Hooflex Natural one day when the tack shop was out of Effie and I actually love it!

My other best moves this summer were getting a huge stack of fresh saddle pads, and buying a loose ring bit and reins for my spare bridle so I had a flatting setup and a jumping/lesson setup. I also got a cheap pair of tendon boots for everyday. I want to preserve my nice stuff for many years and I’m often short on time, so it’s nice to have everyday gear I don’t feel guilty about putting away dirty when I’m rushing home!

Comment

Derby Originals English AP Quilted Horse Saddle Pad with Pockets

This is my current arena fave because I can throw my phone in the pocket and track my ride via Equilab. When I’m on the trail I use a belt bag from DadaSport to store my phone and essentials.

Comment

The Epona Tiger's Tongue sponge is excellent! It's cheap and does such a good job of getting the crud off. My horse actually puts his head down so I can rub his face and ears with it.

Effol Hoof Ointment works well, is easy to apply, and stays on hooves longer than liquid hoof dressings. A jar lasts a long time, too.

Baby wipes clean eyes, nostrils, under the tail, your own hands, and do a quick wipe down of tack as well.

Old towels. Get them at rummage sales or thrift stores. Handy for almost everything!

A bottle of Dawn or Ivory dish soap. I've used it to clean out a wound or bathe my horse in a pinch! Just rinse well.

A magic marker, for writing your name on things.

Scissors.

These are the things I keep returning to again and again. I'm sure you'll find your own must-haves. Enjoy your horse!
                I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

I've started part boarding and am building up my kit too!! Does anyone have a grooming kit they swear by? Some of the ladies at my barn have this Noble one that I am contemplating ordering (cannot find locally):
                  https://www.doversaddlery.com/noble-...te/p/X1-10807/

Comment

Originally posted by MissusS View Post
                    I've started part boarding and am building up my kit too!! Does anyone have a grooming kit they swear by? Some of the ladies at my barn have this Noble one that I am contemplating ordering (cannot find locally):
                    I have moved away from "grooming bags" and have embraced tool bags. I find them much more affordable, have more pockets, and are generally better. My current fave is the Custom Leatherworks 12" bigmouth tote from Amazon ($22/$23). I also like the Husky 12" from Home Depot.
                    When you have a Thoroughbred and a mare and shes got big ears and big eyes, youre set and thats sealed. Jimmy Wofford

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by KBC View Post
                      Well while you are buying the LeMieux saddle pads, get their furry boots as well, and the over reach boots, they are gorgeous!

Also build up a collection of HAAS brushes, yes you need them the right type for your colour of horse. Then engrave your name in them deeply, and hire an armed guard! My gorgeous beautiful Diva brush is the one single item that has gone walk about in 7 years of boarding.
                      I just bought an engraving pen! And 3 more Haas brushes. The new lease pony is a bit more sensitive than the old one - she would prefer I took the hard brush to her face

Comment

Originally posted by Puddin Pie View Post
                        The Tiger Tongue sponge! I have the Haas brushes in the appropriate coat color classification. And I go to the Tiger Tongue very day to get the scruff off before currying. Some days, it is all I use.

I’m blaming you...thought this would be good to try, found one $10, but $10 to ship....only spend $50 and shipping is free..guess who isn’t paying shipping.
                        "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by MissusS View Post
                          I actually got really tired of the tote and having all the brushes in separate compartments. I bought the large Horseman’s Ascot grooming box and it’s perfect. It fits my show stuff (med armband, diva brush, show gloves), three bottles, and all the brushes you could want. It makes taking your grooming stuff to a show really easy - especially since I’ve always ridden at barns where they don’t take trunks. Also as a partial leaser, I didn’t have enough stuff to fill up a trunk.

Comment

My must haves are:

The Santa Cruz whitening shampoo - I buy it by the gallon. Gets my paint white without ever staining him or my clothes purple.

Ogilvy dressage pads - wash perfectly every time

coconut dollar tree conditioner - the best for tails

Premier 1 900cl clippers. Only cordless that can body clip a horse and charge both batteries at once. Well worth the $

Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                            you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Oh man... I could write a very long list! I'll try to keep it reasonable:

E3 Argan Oil Shampoo
                              Carr & Day Mane & Tail Conditioner
                              Coat Defense Powder to put on cannon bones and other areas where crud/fungus can appear
                              UltraShield flyspray in the black bottle
                              ShooFly Leggins for during fly season (seriously, don't bother with any other brand)
                              Alushield Silver Spray for superficial cuts and scrapes
                              Back on Track Quick Wraps

A blonde & her hunter:
                              www.hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pierogi View Post

I have moved away from "grooming bags" and have embraced tool bags. I find them much more affordable, have more pockets, and are generally better. My current fave is the Custom Leatherworks 12" bigmouth tote from Amazon ($22/$23). I also like the Husky 12" from Home Depot.
                                I like this Husky cleaning tote even better. Brushes and bottles fit in the outside pockets, and then I can put boots in the big middle part, and even toss in my helmet if I need to. It also has flat pockets on the inside that work for combs, jelly scrubbers and things like that.
                                https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-14...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The brushes can depend on the horse. One of my horses loves the HAAS brush with the little copper wires in it, but that is too harsh for my thin-skinned Appendix mare. I do almost all of her grooming with this: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/so...ean-brush-2474

I also like the round purple curry that Oster makes with soft, close together bristles (I think it is actually labeled for grooming cows?) and the double-bladed metal sweat scrapers. And a bag of cheap cotton cloths always comes in handy. Oh, and a natural sea sponge! Soap rinses out of them so much easier than a synthetic sponge, and I've been using the same one for several years.

Comment

Oster sweat scraper—the cheap plastic ones break.

Jelly scrubber—the short brush side for faces and all the nooks and crannies in their lower legs.
                                  BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Tiger's Tongue, it works well, my riding teacher fell in LOVE with it the first time she used it. It is wonderful to clean the horse, and then you can use it to flick off that last layer of dust.

HandsOn Grooming Gloves. These are marvelous. I have not used a curry comb at all since I got them. Another grooming tool my riding teacher fell in LOVE with! Sometimes I get the impression that a person could tame a wild horse with these gloves alone. The only horse I know who does not love, love, love being groomed with these has super sensitive thin skin.

The Kong Cat Zoom Groom. This is sort of small, but the horses have "told" me this is their favorite grooming tool for their head and ears. It has really helped with getting an ear-shy horse to enjoy me grooming his ears inside and out, enjoy as in the horse lowering his head so I can do a thorough job grooming his ears. This is available through Chewy.com. If it is too small for you Zoom Groom also makes a dog brush that is a little bigger but I have not tried it yet. These are not really brushes, more like a curry comb with long "teeth" that are very flexible.

Comment

I really like my Hands On grooming gloves. Horse likes them too!

Comment

outerbanks77 thanks for that Husky recommendation! that will be excellent for my bathing kit!
                                        When you have a Thoroughbred and a mare and shes got big ears and big eyes, youre set and thats sealed. Jimmy Wofford

Comment

Working...
                                        X