Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Fire - and now RAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m in Northwest Clackamas County and the sky is absolutely apocalyptic to the South. I don’t currently have any horses on my property to move but dogs, cats and other animals to consider. I’m ready to go if I need to but I’m on crutches so I feel a bit like the wounded wildebeest at the back of the herd. My heart goes out to everyone actively evacuating, my anxiety is high just contemplating it. Stay safe everyone.

Comment

I spent several hours this a.m. watching a "live" (recorded) newscast of the fires in Talent and Phoenix, Oregon. Houses lost.

And now I find there are two more fires, one threatening my sister, another threatening my sister-in-law, in Oregon. Terrible news!

Stay safe, Raincityrider! Bug out early if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by skydy View Post

Hang in there. I'd call and see about the hotel policy. They might make an exception. Also there are many people here that will take small animals into their homes for the duration.. The Humane society has a list. There are numbers to call here for help to find a place for evacuating animals. Perhaps there is some network set up where you are as well. Hopefully there is a number you can call for information. Stay safe.
        I was in Redding a few years ago, there were fire evacuees, and the hotel where we were staying had a "No Pets" policy. I saw dogs, cats, and a parrot in the halls. These were apparently invisible to the hotel staff, bless them.

Comment

Obsidian, I hope you are still safe. It looked god awful from Washington looking south yesterday afternoon as the smoke looked like massive thunderheads. Our barn, along with several others, evacuated yesterday afternoon from the Oregon City area. There was a smaller fire just a few miles east of our places along Springwater/Bakers Ferry/Redland. They are all safe at Devonwood, among others who opened up for in coming horses. There are great groups on FB who are marshalling masses of trailers and listing places able to take horses and livestock. I was on call to help a friend move her cows if a fire along the Washougal river made it to her place. Thankfully, DNR and FD got it under control.

We have a go plan for our horses and a place to land if a fire threatens us. Last night, we had no power due to a fire that started along the highway below us. Having a plan for water is also good. We have a good defensible space around our property, which helps our state of mind. But the wind was the real kicker yesterday. 60mph gusts push fire so fast! So many small fires from trees into lines around us made for two uncomfortable days. Winds are still blowing, humidity around 10%, bone dry, so much tinder waiting to ignite. The watchword is "Don't do dumb things" right now.
          Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

my coach was posting video on line of the fire up in Pierce COunty ( WA) after the second one jumped HWY 410 I told him, this is where you go to the house, pack up all the absolutely vital things and retreat to someplace safer.

SO glad you and your community were able to manage the escape with such short notice. I woke in the night yesterday and was aware of the smell from the smoke that had rolled in from the east ( and south) It wasnt until I was driving in to work that I learned about the fires in Pierce County.

This was pretty well predicted with the predicted shift of the winds from the east along with record low humidity.

For others in the PNW region, many county fair grounds act as a receiving center for livestock evacuating from disasters. Dont wait to the last minutes to make a plan.
            _\\]
            -- * > hoopoe
            Procrastinate NOW
            Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Our head trainer is working up at the show in Monroe right now, so the two assistants, the riding school instructor and our "barn rats" (the best girls EVER), managed to evacuate 26 horses and all our tack. There's a loosely coordinated phone/FB groups handling all the evacuations as they build around the PDX area and farther south. It is insanely dark and red under the smoke clouds where they horses ended up. You cross the Columbia from Vancouver to Portland and drive from sunny and windy and hot to red, smokey, hot and windy. I cannot believe the destruction farther south-- those towns are just gone! My MIL lives in Omak and we finally got through to her just minutes ago, as the Cold Springs fire is burning just a few miles south of her, 0% contained. That's the smoke the PDX area got on Monday. The winds are supposed to ease tonight, but not disappear until Friday or Saturday. Fire danger is still extreme, with new fires popping up or rekindling all over the place. I am so sorry for everyone who lost homes or animals or jobs.

Comment

Original Poster

I ended up moving mine today over to Newberg, to Oakhurst Equine which also happens to be where I go for most vet work. There is a fire in the area, but nowhere near like here and they are not even at level one alert yet. Given that one horse I moved is a 30-y/o who is extremely stressed by all this, I felt a vet clinic was the safest place for her. When I left she was much happier, I’d gotten her to eat and since she’s right next to my girl (they are buds), and can see her, she’s doing better.
                As for other things, evacuations are still in place and the town is absolutely deserted. The smoke is so thick and the ash just everywhere.
                From what I understand the fire closest to my house didn’t spread anymore today, but I would not say it’s fully controlled yet.
                I am just keeping an eye on maps and the police dept info and trying to check in with friends and neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian Fire View Post
                  I ended up moving mine today over to Newberg, to Oakhurst Equine which also happens to be where I go for most vet work. There is a fire in the area, but nowhere near like here and they are not even at level one alert yet. Given that one horse I moved is a 30-y/o who is extremely stressed by all this, I felt a vet clinic was the safest place for her. When I left she was much happier, I’d gotten her to eat and since she’s right next to my girl (they are buds), and can see her, she’s doing better.
                  As for other things, evacuations are still in place and the town is absolutely deserted. The smoke is so thick and the ash just everywhere.
                  From what I understand the fire closest to my house didn’t spread anymore today, but I would not say it’s fully controlled yet.
                  I am just keeping an eye on maps and the police dept info and trying to check in with friends and neighbors.
                  Good news that you have your horses in a good place.
                  Please remember that there is nothing material worth risking your life for. Be cautious and conservative.

It is instinctive, to try to stay close and look after your property. It is not worth it in the long run. People die trying to save their homes because of that instinct. Get away and be safe. If the worst happens to your property you can rebuild. You cannot resurrect yourself or your family members if you are caught in the fire.

Sending best wishes and strength. You can make it through.

Comment

Original Poster

You know what really sucks about all this? (Besides the obvious). The police have had to call in the county sheriff’s office because with so many people gone, the looters are having a field day.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian Fire View Post
                      You know what really sucks about all this? (Besides the obvious). The police have had to call in the county sheriff’s office because with so many people gone, the looters are having a field day.
                      I know. It seems that disaster brings out the best in most people but the worst in others . Don't let the bad ones bring you down. You need to think clearly and rest.

Anger won't help anything now. You can lose your mind about these people later. For now, protect your brain from what you can't control and leave it clear to do what needs to be done, what you can do, to keep you and yours safe. Your stuff doesn't matter right now. Your lives and those of other people that are in danger are what matters.

The firefighters, the forestry people, the weather forecasters, the people that fly the aircraft, those that spend their hours organizing the logistics to help evacuation, and all the "regular" folks that give their all to help others in times of crisis, are legion compared to the thieves. I understand how disappointing humans can be, but you must acknowledge the good folks and give human kind their due. Take care and keep on hanging in there.
                      Last edited by skydy; Sep. 10, 2020, 03:40 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Comment

Original Poster

skydy Thank you.
                        So long as I am doing things that feel necessary and useful I’m okay. It’s when I sit down or can’t figure out what to do next, I start losing my mind.

As a PSA: If you have a horse with special needs, make sure you know exactly what and how much and when, because even tho *you* know it off the top of your head, communicating it to someone else in a stressful situation, well it’s not so easy.
                        I had a hard time figuring out what to tell the caregivers yesterday how much to feed the senior. I know how much, and can eyeball it just fine, but streamlining it for others was harder than I thought.

My husbands aunt was evacuated from her area yesterday and is now with us at the in-laws (her sister).
                        My sister lives in an area that is also on level 3; they left Tuesday but this morning early reports show that fire spreading and indicating a likelihood of many homes lost.

Right now, I have not yet heard of any human casualties in my area, hopefully that stays true.

Comment

Original Poster

Calvincrowe how are things with your barn now? I’m familiar with the area, where did your barn evacuate to? I know some who went to Oregon City originally then had to leave again.

And you, living where you live, I’m glad to hear you have a plan.

Comment

Obsidian Fire Our barn is at Devonwood, along with two neighboring H/J programs from OC. Our crew is doing a standup job with a rotation of feeders/cleaners and handwalkers. I'm 1.5 hours away from Devonwood with traffic, so can't join in until Saturday. They are hoping the two fires in the OC area settle by then and we can come home. The area where our home barn is, is in a level 2 zone so I am very glad they left at level 1.

WA is waiving the Coggins requirement for horses coming in from Oregon for 30 days due to the emergencies, so the Clark County Fairgrounds stabling can take them in (250 stalls!) and so a few of the bigger barns can squeeze in evacuees. A friend took 6 horses from OC yesterday at her place in Washougal. I'm prepped for cattle or livestock in my front field, or horses if they can be turned out together. DH and I are putting an evacuation prep plan in place-- enough kennels/carriers for dogs, cats, bunny and chickens. Trailer for the two retirees, and a go-bag for each of us. We have two landing spots for all the above at this point. My SIL/Bro live about 5 minutes from us and have a similar go plan in place. We will land our horses in the same location(s) depending on fire location around us.

Here's hoping for calming winds (not here yet--still blowing!) and cooler temps (it got down to 70 here last night with the wind and smoke cover). It was eerie watching the wind shift to SE and the Clackamas smoke shield spread over us yesterday afternoon. Yellow and then dark by 6pm. I see rain in the forecast by Monday! Stay safe and I am so glad your guys are at Oakhurst-- smart decision, fantastic place/veterinary practice!

Comment

OMG, nothing to add but my thoughts and prayers for you all in harm's way to stay safe- how horrific, I cannot even imagine...hopefully rain will come soon to put the fires out.

Comment

I visited coastal oregon many years ago and was this close to moving to Portland and starting a new life, just this close. I loved the drive from Cannon beach heading south. So green and so beautiful. It is incredibly hard to wrap my mind around the fires. I follow TDF Honest Farming on FB, he's just one ridge fire away from losing the family dairy and some 500 cows. It's terrible.

My heart and best wishes go out to everyone in the path of these terrible fires all over the west coast.

Comment

According to local air monitors, yesterday the Eugene/Springfield area had the worst air quality in the world. There are a number of purple air sensors scattered around the county along with the permanent monitoring stations. All of them report AQI numbers 250-300+ this morning. The Holiday Farm fire spread by 50,000 acres last night.

From this morning's fire update: the fire is approximately 10 miles East of Eugene (148k people) and a few miles East of Springfield (64k people)

Comment

GOES-16/17 animated imagery from yesterday showing the smoke and heat from the west coast fires:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/rams...p_speed_ms=120

Comment

To make matters worse, in Douglas County Sheriff's office has had to issue a statement regarding rumors that one fire was started by Antifa-- completely false, no evidence of that, etc. and begging people to stop calling 911 to ask for confirmation of said rumor! Why do this in this terrible time!!?? Focus on staying safe and letting LEO/FD do their jobs.

I saw pictures that compared Phoenix Oregon before and after the fire-- not a single house standing. Horrifying. And so close to major cities like Sparky says above.

Comment

The Antifa rumor is going around here, too. A number of people on FB have posted information about the rumors being false. So many morons in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                                          To make matters worse, in Douglas County Sheriff's office has had to issue a statement regarding rumors that one fire was started by Antifa-- completely false, no evidence of that, etc. and begging people to stop calling 911 to ask for confirmation of said rumor! Why do this in this terrible time!!?? Focus on staying safe and letting LEO/FD do their jobs.

I saw pictures that compared Phoenix Oregon before and after the fire-- not a single house standing. Horrifying. And so close to major cities like Sparky says above.
                                          Yeah, I don't know who decided to label it Antifa - probably just an assumption. But I have seen (confirmed) reports of random individuals attempting to intentionally start fires, though I don't think any have gotten out of control so far.

​​​​​​I have also heard reports of other nefarious activities occuring during evacuations and in the fire zones, but I haven't had time yet to research those for accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                          X