Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Fire - and now RAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire - and now RAIN

Those who have been through it, I have a newfound empathy with you. Right now, I just need some extra shoulders because I am in shock.

Got a phone call late evening that there was a fire at a lumber yard near my barn, and BO was making plans to evacuate. That will get you out of bed in a hurry. I've lived here nearly my entire life and there's never been anything more than a small 'dust fire' at the mill. This time, the entire thing is on fire. Giant log piles, finished lumber, all of it.
    There's a barn directly across the street from some of the log stacks - I don't know if they are still standing or not. There's another one down on a different corner.

The winds & smoke yesterday were horrid, because of fires in Eastern/Central Oregon area, and picking up steam as the day went on. My understanding is it took down power lines (there were trees down, so not a surprise).

This morning there are fires in all directions from me. Some are awfully close, some a touch further, but all the same every time I turn around there's a new fire that popped up and took off, and I just don't know how firefighters are supposed to keep up with this. We will be damn lucky if there aren't further evacuations.

I live in the Willamette Valley, not an area you associate with "lots of fires". In fact yesterday morning everything was fine, a friend and I went trail riding in the morning and everything was as normal. By 3 pm, the haze was in the air, the wind had picked up, by 5 you could barely see the sun.

I am SO DAMN GRATEFUL that my mare loads well. When your owner walks in at 11 pm, throws a halter on you and straight into a trailer and you go, no questions asked, you are a rockstar. There are several at the barn who don't load, or who haven't been loaded in years. That sucked.

TEACH YOUR HORSES TO LOAD, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Everything smells like smoke, strong smoke. In the house even. The winds were so strong it ripped the top off our gazebo. It turned over a large potted tree I have. The front yard, looks like fall hit already there are so many leaves blown out of the big tree. It blew over 2 neighbors BB hoops. I've lived here thru some strong storms and not seen that happen.

My thoughts are scattered and disjointed right now, so if I make no sense, oh well. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Obsidian Fire; Sep. 18, 2020, 09:34 AM.

That sounds terrifying. I hope all is well and humans and horses are safe.
    www.headsupspecialriders.com

Comment

Yes, teach those horses to load. I still remember helping my friends run their yearlings into a stock trailer as a grass fire was bearing down on the farm. Poor babies had never been in a trailer before, but we got it done.

Glad you were able to get your mare moved safely, and jingles for everyone near this conflagration.

Comment

So glad to hear you got out safely. Give that mare some extra carrots today.

Comment

That's horrendous OP. My thoughts are with you, your good mare and everyone in the area. Fingers xx for some rain!
          One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
          William Shakespeare

Comment

Very scary even reading about it, glad you got out. I hope for rain and cooler weather in all the areas with fires.

Comment

I'm glad you were able to get out. People are scrambling down here on the west side of the pass trying to evacuate. It's 8:45am and still pretty much dark as night here in Independence, just with a reddish tint to everything.

I'm not near any of the fires, thankfully, but I know lots of people who are. I hope everyone makes it out ok. They've shut down the highway in, only letting people out now.

Comment

Original Poster

Heinz 57 make sure you have a plan in place. Just in case. There are several fires your way.

Comment

OP I'm so sorry and hope everyone gets out safely!
                  "Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons"

Comment

It's horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Friend of mine just got let back in to her home in Felton CA, after a week evacuated. And she didn't have animals to move. She was lucky -- the house still stands. Not everyone is that lucky.

I know it's a shock: be kind, be generous, particularly if you are not facing losses. It's so hard on folks.

Comment

I'm so sorry. We've been living that for at least 3 weeks. I along with so many others are starting to hate Fall, fire season, in California. The tension is wearing. The smoke and heat make life outside miserable and if you don't have an air conditioner, the inside is pretty bad too. Glad to hear your mare was awesome. Extra cookies for her! Hope things settle down quickly but it sounds like all 3 states along the West Coast are getting hit. Hang in there and stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian Fire View Post
                        Heinz 57 make sure you have a plan in place. Just in case. There are several fires your way.
                        The nearest fire to us currently is over in Otis, which is about 35 miles west in the coast range. Unless something new sparks up, of course. We're southwest of Salem and across the river from the canyon fires.

Its an unfortunate thing that I don't have a trailer at the moment, but I have a list of people I can call on, and a long list of barns with open doors. Several of my friends have spent the morning running back and forth helping move horses out of the danger zones.

Comment

So glad you are ok, and thank your good training and trust that your mare loads easily!

Here in Northern California it seems like a matter of if not now, when. My cars are packed, as ready as can be. Today it was dark at 3:30pm from smoke.

We just finished a plan for the stable. Most horses seem to load into slant load trailers. Two of us have straight loads. Our horses jump right in, but we’re going to work with the other 12(!) who don’t load in the straight loads, Because you never know who you have time to save.

So make sure horses will load in as many variations as possible! Let other people practice loading your horse too. And this time of year an easy mane tag with name could save time later.
                          "Do your best, and leave the rest, twill all come right, some day or night" -Black Beauty

http://trails-and-trials-with-major.blogspot.com/

Comment

OP, so happy you got your horse out safely! I am two hours south of you near the fire on the McKenzie. We can't go outside because the air quality is hazardous. The towns of Blue River and Vida have been destroyed. People have perished. There has been an amazing response by the horse community. Anyone with space is taking horses, a trailer dealer is pitching in to haul, and vets are ready to help.

Like you said, it happened so fast! A powerline started the fire last night around 9:00 and now the fire is 34,000 acres. It's heading toward Springfield. My phone and the TV are blowing up with alerts. Never in my 32 years here have I experienced anything like this. it's awful.
                            Last edited by sparkygrace; Sep. 8, 2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I feel for all of you. Please get out sooner rather than later.

The Cameron Peak fire in Colorado is the one nearest me. It won't affect my area accept for smoke and ash, but it went from 60 thousand acres to over 100 thousand on Sunday/Monday. Monday the sky was orange here, ash was falling and it was 95 degrees. Today it is snowing and our low tonight is forecast to be 27 degrees.

The snow in the mountains where the fire is burning will help, but it wont put the fire out. As soon as the precipitation ends and the fuel (trees) dries out it will continue to spread. Unfortunately fire retardant drops from aircraft are not an option in many areas as they would contaminate essential watersheds.

It is difficult for the firefighters to go from summer firefighting to winter firefighting, and COVID has made their needs, and the logistics of evacuations and housing all the more difficult. There have already been several firefighters that have tested positive for the virus with symptoms.

This fire started in a very inaccessible wilderness area but has spread and is now threatening mountain communities. Thankfully, because of that, people and firefighters have had time to prepare before the mandatory evacuations were issued. Thankfully we have a County Sheriffs "posse" that is comprised of officers that are very experienced in evacuating livestock, so they go in for the livestock that are left (for whatever reasons), after the mandatory evacuation of humans.

If at all possible, it might be a good idea to get your bad loaders out now to save time if you have to evacuate. It really is essential to get out immediately as soon as you are told to evacuate.

Thinking of you all. Please stay safe and keep in touch.

Comment

Original Poster

We have a son in CO, skydy so yes I’ve been hearing about the wicked weather swings and fires.

We did have to evacuate our home this evening. The police came around checking on people (not everyone gets the alerts) and advised us to leave. We packed quickly bare bones necessities and are at my in-laws for now, hoping we don’t have to go further. Also hoping I don’t have to move my horse again in the middle of the night.

I am exhausted. All day today it was one new fire after another, quickly moving out of control. And not just in “one” area - it is all around me. I could describe it as sitting in the middle of a horseshoe, really only one direction doesn’t have an out of control fire right now.

I’ve never seen or been a part of anything like this ever in my life. Barns evacuated last night only to have to go again today.

I don’t have words for any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian Fire View Post
                                  We have a son in CO, skydy so yes I’ve been hearing about the wicked weather swings and fires.

We did have to evacuate our home this evening. The police came around checking on people (not everyone gets the alerts) and advised us to leave. We packed quickly bare bones necessities and are at my in-laws for now, hoping we don’t have to go further. Also hoping I don’t have to move my horse again in the middle of the night.

I am exhausted. All day today it was one new fire after another, quickly moving out of control. And not just in “one” area - it is all around me. I could describe it as sitting in the middle of a horseshoe, really only one direction doesn’t have an out of control fire right now.

I’ve never seen or been a part of anything like this ever in my life. Barns evacuated last night only to have to go again today.

I don’t have words for any of this.
                                  I understand the helpless feeling, I really do. I've been there.

Fire is truly frightening. What are the authorities in your area advising? I am not familiar with where you are now and where the fires are that are around you. The authorities usually give you timely warning (a "voluntary evacuation") if they do, then leave . Don't wait for a mandatory evacuation. That means LEAVE NOW and don't stop to get your coat, so as difficult as it is, it may be better for your peace of mind to leave the area now. If not, you must be ready to leave at once. They try to be accurate but some people do get angry if they are made to evacuate and the fire did not in fact reach their home.

I am so sorry, I can feel your worry and confusion. Don't panic but listen to your instincts and do what makes you feel safe. I am of the "get out of Dodge" mentality when there is a hint that I should leave, where wildfire is concerned. Again, listen to your local fire authorities, look at the fire maps and the weather forecast and have your escape routes planned.

It's a scary unknown, but you can deal with it. Take some deep breaths, plan ahead, and then get some sleep. My best wishes and comforting thoughts are sent to you.

You can do this. Be informed and be prepared. You can have a good cry later, when you have come through this safely.

Comment

So glad that you and your mare, and the other horses, are all right!

I'm so worried about everyone in the western states affected by fires. I have friends in Oregon, Colorado, and California. They're all in hazard zones and I'm on edge, afraid for them.

Please, all COTHers, I care about you as well. Stay safe!
                                    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

Oh wow. The Bear Fire in Northern California has blown up like crazy. Oregon is a shocker. The entire city of Medford is either under evacuation warning or order. Then Eugene and Salem areas. . California is expected to have fires but Oregon usually avoids these conflagrations. Washington is also getting hit.

Glad you were able to safely evacuate. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Comment

Fire is so scary - and I am glad that, for the moment, you are safe. It was watching people try to load horses to escape fires in Australia last summer that prompted me to teach one of my feral horses to load - that then lead to some amazing work with her, and a whole new level of relationship between me and her.

Comment

Working...
                                        X