Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Haflingers - wanting to understand more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haflingers - wanting to understand more

I have met a little more than handful of haflingers in my life. Adorable, chunky, hairy creatures - but every single one I met was spooky and unreliable, as well as a bit pig headed.

Is this something of a breed trait? Are they like Welsh ponies, who can be a bit hot? Or am I just unlucky that I've met bad representations of the breed?

Just to show it's not pony bias, I've never met a fjord I didn't like, and I have met some excellent shetlands. What's with haflingers?

I have knwn a few (owned by friends). Not like you have experienced. Mary Procopio breeds some of the nicest Halfies around. Her stallion is approved by some WB verbands, too. She is on facebook; here is her farm website. I'm sure she'll fill you in on how cool they are. http://www.newhorizonshaflingers.com...ujJUJS8I9XnqU4

Comment

Haflingers, in my experience, tend to be more pony-like than fjords, and if not started properly (and kindly/fairly) they can be little dragons.

Haflingers are also being bred to be more sporty, which I'm sure plays a role in it as well. Whereas fjords are still more like small drafts.

I have a haflinger/Morgan cross and while he is generally a Saint (and works 10 months of the year as a therapeutic riding pony), he can also be flighty in certain situations, and feeds off of the energy of his handler and/or rider. So when we ask him to carry a more complex rider, we ensure that his handler is a calm presence. He does NOT tolerate cockiness, though, and will pull out all the pony tricks with cocky people. I am not sure how much of that is breeding, personality, or having been a stallion for almost 9 years, but he has a very ingrained sense of "fair" and if you aren't fair to him he won't give you the time of day.

we have 4 fjords, my haflinger cross, and a full haflinger in our therapy string, and my guy is the most sensitive of the bunch. The youngest fjord is the "hottest", and the full haflinger (a BIG boy at 15.1hh) and our biggest fjord (also 15.1hh) are the laziest/quietest. The oldest fjord is the strongest and needs a very firm handler or she will drag you around (former eventer/pony club pony, 25 going on 5, haha). The 4th fjord is half sister to our big guy and she is pretty mellow but less lazy than the big guy.

A friend of mine has a more sporty haflinger mare, and she is hot as any Arab with her owner, but knows how to dial it back for her other riders. She is sharp as a tack and you can see her thinking whenever you look at her. But that thinker quality is what makes her super adaptable, and she does para dressage, working equitation, trail riding, and even vaulting.
      Curious about Trans* issues? Feel free to ask!
      Saving Pennies To Get My Own Canoe
      FAQs

Comment

Haflingers are giant ponies. I don't usually find them spooky, but definately pony opinionated, and can be headstrong. I have done many, many haflingers over the years. What I tell everyone is if you like a pony personality, then the haflingers will be fine. If you don't like a pony personality, don't look at haflingers.

Comment

At the farm i board we have had 3. All of them are pushy. They will push the owner around, and walk all over them. They were not very spooky, but they are very stubborn. NO THANK YOU. i love their size, but that is all.

Comment

The ones I've known weren't spooky, but certainly on the stubborn side, and also adept at breaking fences. They looked and moved a bit like mini draft horses, and knew (and used) their own strength on the ground and in the saddle, and could be resistant. One of them is used in a therapeutic program at my barn.

I wouldn't be opposed to riding one, for sure, and they're a good height for me, but I wouldn't gravitate to the breed, in contrast, to, say Connemaras or Morgans.
            Check out the latest Fortune's Fool novel, Courage to the Sticking Place!

Comment

All the Halflingers I know IRL are driven & seem seem to excel at it.
              Spooky is the last word I'd use to describe them.

One friend has gone from driving her Haffie single to adding #2 & in less than a year driving the team. Then she added a 3rd & recently drove them as a unicorn hitch (1 lead with pair behind).
              Another couple, who are Newbs to driving, have a Haffie gelding who seems to be the Soul of Patience, tolerating their Learner errors.

If I were to add a Driving horse (my Driver is a 35" mini) Halflinger would be a breed I'd seriously consider.
              *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
              Steppin' Out 1988-2004
              Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
              Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

The therapeutic riding center I work for has four Haflinger lesson ponies. They’ve been great therapy horses for us, ours have been pretty bombproof and tolerant, but they can be stubborn and have some pony attitude. Three of the four are also very smart, but the fourth, while sweet, is definitely not the brightest.

Comment

Spooky no - opinionated, headstrong, and likely to try to bully their way out of something they don't want to do - yes.

Comment

Originally posted by joiedevie99 View Post
                    Spooky no - opinionated, headstrong, and likely to try to bully their way out of something they don't want to do - yes.
                    This. Barn just got a Halflinger to use as a lesson horse. Seems pretty bombproof, good with the kids. Short but stout, so can take a larger rider if necessary. (He takes up my leg more than a 16 hand TB does.)

However, the day the barn was running late with turnouts, he felt it was past his time to go out, so he jumped the wheelbarrow of the guy doing his stall and turned himself out. And jumped in pretty good form.

Comment

In Europe decades ago, we used to get them to retrain.
                      Seems that they are great at training their owners/riders, with expected results when a horse decides what to do, even a quiet, sensible horse.

Our trouble was, while they got their manners reinstalled, going back to the same environment, they tended to revert to their true nature.

Haflingers are a breed of horse you ask and they give, you demand and they will find ways to resist being told what to do.

Comment

Original Poster

Interesting. I wonder why all the ones I've met are flighty. Two even cribbed! One was on 24/7 turn out in a group and was an experienced rider only type, that's how looky she was.

Thanks to all for educating me!

Comment

Originally posted by endlessclimb View Post
                          Interesting. I wonder why all the ones I've met are flighty. Two even cribbed! One was on 24/7 turn out in a group and was an experienced rider only type, that's how looky she was.

Thanks to all for educating me!
                          I wonder, I heard that some breeders were trying to make a lighter horse out of them and so got more hot, reactive and nervous in their lines.

Not sure that is true, but is what some said that were at a parade of breeds show event.

Comment

I agree completely with joiedevie99 . I've never met a Haflinger I liked. They are cute tho!
                            "I once heard a client ask our vet if a horse's brain was as small as everyone says they are. Without pause, the vet smiled and answered: 'Maybe, but have you seen their hearts?'" --Alice Peirce

Comment

I love ponies, but Halflingers are on the bottom of the list. I found them to be very opinionated, pushy and sorry to say, rude.

Comment

I have a haflinger, and I'm afraid he's ruined me. I can't imagine loving another horse as much as I love this guy. He's not perfect, but he's such a fun, sane challenge. And at 15.2, he's quite large for a haffie. When I bought him, he had been sitting in a field for five years and was dragging his (second) owner by the lead rope. She had a love hate relationship with him. I only decided to buy him because I knew he had been started right. Also, his sitting trot is so comfortable. And for a breed not known for their canter, his is fantastic. The breeder had him jumping bridleless, competing low level dressage, and thoroughly sacked out. I immediately called the breeder/trainer (Top of the Line Haflingers) and asked if she'd take him for a month to get him back on track. I generally always lead him with a stud chain, and I do think it's this one action that has created a solid foundation for us. If he ever was to get into the habit of running off with me, like his previous owner, I think we'd find ourselves with many, bigger problems. He understand that I'm the boss, but he does try to get out of things (arena work). But, he doesn't bolt. I see bolting mentioned quite a bit with haflingers, and my guess is that it's not fear but evasion from work. They're incredibly smart, curious, and love to work. My humble guess is that there's perhaps a difference between haffies trained to drive (mine was not) and those trained to ride. I don't know that they're the best horse for the stall board and 20m arena circle crowd. I generally ride him bitless in the arena and with a snaffle on the trail. He's not spooky (rides through deer, cattle, dogs, mountain bikers), but he does sometimes need to be pushed forward through "scarier" situations. Just last night we watched as another rider in the arena gave her horse a cookie at the mounting block. He stopped, turned his head around to me, fully expecting the same. There are much tougher to handle breeds out there. For a breed that is so versatile (jumping, dressage, even endurance!), I think they gets a bad rap.

Note: posted this a couple times because when I went in to make an edit, I was flagged as spam. Weird.
                                Last edited by Ceffyl_Dwr; Sep. 6, 2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Suspiria View Post
                                  I agree completely with joiedevie99 . I've never met a Haflinger I liked. They are cute tho!
                                  This is how I feel. God, those CHEEKS I just want to smoosh them. But for attitude, I can't say (from the limited ~8 or so I've seen and worked with) that I like them in the slightest.

Comment

I grew up riding Haflingers. The barn owner where I eventually boarded my own horse had a whole band of them.

One in particular was the best pony ever - sure, opinionated, but so tolerant and taught about a bazillion kids how to ride. He is still kicking, retired on a friend's farm. Another friend has one doing most of the PSG - hasn't been the easiest, but she's had a lot of fun along the way.

I'd love to have a sporty Haflinger. I don't mind the pony brain at all, and they can be so much fun.
                                    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

I love, LOVE ponies (honestly, even more than horses, if I was forced to choose), and I think this thread has nailed down the fact that while I don't dislike the breed, I'd never gravitate to Haflingers. Haflingers have pony 'tude but with a draft horse's fondness for pushing or staying put as a way to win. I like the more sports car-type pony ride.
                                      Check out the latest Fortune's Fool novel, Courage to the Sticking Place!

Comment

Smart, curious, little drafts. With pony attitude. The more I learn about the drafts/driving horses the more fascinated I am. It seems to me that you have two groups: the fairly dead headed, 'you say pull, I pull' group; and the 'I want to work, I'm bored! Okay, I'm working, now convince me that you actually want me to do this, I'm bored' group. I think that most Haflingers fall into the latter category. They want a job, but you had better convince them (politely) of the job's value.

Comment

Working...
                                        X