Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Boarding Expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boarding Expectations

I'm hoping for a reality/anxiety check. The basics: I pay what I think is a lot of money for board on the CT shoreline (works out to about 900-1000/month for full board that includes individual turnout, hay 3-4 times a day, an unattached indoor ring, no frills tackroom, no outdoor). The training is fabulous (and additional cost to the board)--my mare has come a long way in strength, balance, and conditioning. However, I have a few peeves that just feel wrong and I wanted people's take on it:

1) the horses rotate/share stalls, so when the horses who are stalled at night go out for turn-out those that were outside come into the barn and fill those stalls. In the afternoon, stalls are picked clean of manure, but not much else unless a wet spot is obvious, and no new bedding is added, and buckets aren't scrubbed again. So my mare goes into a half cleaned stall for the next 12+ hours. She smells like urine in the morning since she lays down at night. When it's humid her skin definitely gets irritated to the point of a bad rash that requires medical treatment, and so I have begged the BO to keep her stall open to stay dry and air out. And while she tells me that she will do so, I often hear from others that her stall is often occupied, or find evidence of it myself--fly masks from other horses on her halter hook, a lot missing from her salt block, soggy stall in the AM. So, not only is there a trust question with the BO lying to me, but it just feels unhealthy to have this kind of situation, especially for the amount I pay. BO tells me that this is common and that she isn't charging extra for other amenities like blanket changes and fly boots.

2) If I am not there, there is no one running a hand over her to check for bumps/rashes/cuts. So I have come to find minor cuts and scrapes that no one has noticed. Also, if fly boots or blankets are torn, no one communicates with me, so I find out whenever I go to put them back on. Should I be getting those notices? Should people taking them off be communicating that with BO?

3) If I mention the rash or other dermatitis the BO doesn't look at it, and generally shrugs and either says nothing else or comments about not being surprised but shows no concern or willingness to try to remedy situation.

4) Most afternoons kids under 18 are taking care of the horses and dosing meds in with the feeds, at times unsupervised with the trainer and BO off property and no adult on the premises. I think most do a decent job, but they are relatively inexperienced kids, and I do worry. Am I worrying over nothing? Is this common practice? The BO seems to think these kids can do no wrong, so that makes me doubly worried. LOL

5) The trainer is often on the look out for the teens she teaches to gain experience by riding other horses; she has asked if she can have the kids work my mare instead of the trainer herself. Even if the trainer is in the ring, my mare is green and I express worry about liability, and also I feel that I shouldn't have to pay for that ride since the goal of training my mare seems secondary to the kids getting experience, which is noble and necessary for developing future riders, but it makes it feel like she doesn't have my interests/my horse's best interests first. Although again--really good training.

4) I feel like the BO regards me as a bit of a high maintenance boarder because I point these things out, say no to kids "training" my horse, and make requests for communications and a freshly redone stall, or that it stay empty while my horse is out. (Literally, that's it. I don't make any other requests, take care of the horse' medical issues myself, and am helpful when I can be.) Are these high maintenance requests? No where in the boarding contract does it say that my horse will share her stall, or that I won't have access to it should I decide to ride in the afternoon instead of the morning before she goes out.

Do I look for another place (Which is hard to find nearby)? OR be grateful for what I have and suck it up because the mare is doing well in our lessons and seems happy?

Thanks for any input. Feel free to tell me this is normal or if I'm hyper critical...my gut just says it's not the way things should be done, but I understand that I could be worrying for nothing.

I personally would not be able to stand that "stall sharing". Or teens riding my horse. You are being taken advantage of if you are paying for that. Your items 2 and 3 aren't things I would always expect from a B.O. I hope you can move.

Comment

The shared stalls would be a hard no for me. What happens when there's a bad ice storm or a severe storm and they need to be inside? The other stuff depends, some of it wouldn't bother me, some of it I would not be thrilled about. PMing you.

Comment

No, I wouldn't be ok with any of that. Board in my part of the state runs quite a lot higher than that, but that would be perfectly reasonable full board price in other parts of the state - for which I wouldn't expect to have so many corners cut.

Comment

Time to move the shared stall would be the deal breaker for me. They are making double what you are paying for each stall.

Comment

I think I became a lot better boarder when I started thinking of myself as a guest instead of a customer.

Because we pay so much for board and training, we often think we deserve a “customer is always right” treatment.

In reality, barn owners and trainers are welcoming you into their facility.

Yes, you are paying them to be there. Yes, sometimes they provide terrible service. But at the end of the day, it is their barn and they are going to do things their way.

It is the boarder’s responsibility to ask themselves if they will fit into a particular barn’s program. It is not the program’s responsibility to change because of a boarder.

OP, I feel for you. I really do. Please don’t think I’m placing blame on you. Personally, I wouldn’t be a fan of the stall sharing. Personally, if I pay a trainer to ride my horse, I wouldn’t be thrilled if my horse got passed on to the students. But that’s where it’s the client’s job to ask questions up front before entering an agreement.

Of course, sometimes we try to vet a barn thoroughly and still are blindsided by practices we didn’t anticipate. In those cases, you have to evaluate what’s the best course of action- be flexible and deal with it, discuss it with the owner to find a compromise, or find another facility. There isn’t one right answer, it all depends on the situation. In your case, it sounds like you have tried discussing it and it hasn’t gone over well. Which means you are probably only left with options 1 and 3.
            Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Originally posted by DressageMare View Post
              I'm hoping for a reality/anxiety check. The basics: I pay what I think is a lot of money for board on the CT shoreline (works out to about 900-1000/month for full board that includes individual turnout, hay 3-4 times a day, an unattached indoor ring, no frills tackroom, no outdoor). The training is fabulous (and additional cost to the board)--my mare has come a long way in strength, balance, and conditioning. However, I have a few peeves that just feel wrong and I wanted people's take on it:

1) the horses rotate/share stalls, so when the horses who are stalled at night go out for turn-out those that were outside come into the barn and fill those stalls. In the afternoon, stalls are picked clean of manure, but not much else unless a wet spot is obvious, and no new bedding is added, and buckets aren't scrubbed again. So my mare goes into a half cleaned stall for the next 12+ hours. She smells like urine in the morning since she lays down at night. When it's humid her skin definitely gets irritated to the point of a bad rash that requires medical treatment, and so I have begged the BO to keep her stall open to stay dry and air out. And while she tells me that she will do so, I often hear from others that her stall is often occupied, or find evidence of it myself--fly masks from other horses on her halter hook, a lot missing from her salt block, soggy stall in the AM. So, not only is there a trust question with the BO lying to me, but it just feels unhealthy to have this kind of situation, especially for the amount I pay. BO tells me that this is common and that she isn't charging extra for other amenities like blanket changes and fly boots.

2) If I am not there, there is no one running a hand over her to check for bumps/rashes/cuts. So I have come to find minor cuts and scrapes that no one has noticed. Also, if fly boots or blankets are torn, no one communicates with me, so I find out whenever I go to put them back on. Should I be getting those notices? Should people taking them off be communicating that with BO?

3) If I mention the rash or other dermatitis the BO doesn't look at it, and generally shrugs and either says nothing else or comments about not being surprised but shows no concern or willingness to try to remedy situation.

4) Most afternoons kids under 18 are taking care of the horses and dosing meds in with the feeds, at times unsupervised with the trainer and BO off property and no adult on the premises. I think most do a decent job, but they are relatively inexperienced kids, and I do worry. Am I worrying over nothing? Is this common practice? The BO seems to think these kids can do no wrong, so that makes me doubly worried. LOL

5) The trainer is often on the look out for the teens she teaches to gain experience by riding other horses; she has asked if she can have the kids work my mare instead of the trainer herself. Even if the trainer is in the ring, my mare is green and I express worry about liability, and also I feel that I shouldn't have to pay for that ride since the goal of training my mare seems secondary to the kids getting experience, which is noble and necessary for developing future riders, but it makes it feel like she doesn't have my interests/my horse's best interests first. Although again--really good training.

4) I feel like the BO regards me as a bit of a high maintenance boarder because I point these things out, say no to kids "training" my horse, and make requests for communications and a freshly redone stall, or that it stay empty while my horse is out. (Literally, that's it. I don't make any other requests, take care of the horse' medical issues myself, and am helpful when I can be.) Are these high maintenance requests? No where in the boarding contract does it say that my horse will share her stall, or that I won't have access to it should I decide to ride in the afternoon instead of the morning before she goes out.

Do I look for another place (Which is hard to find nearby)? OR be grateful for what I have and suck it up because the mare is doing well in our lessons and seems happy?

Thanks for any input. Feel free to tell me this is normal or if I'm hyper critical...my gut just says it's not the way things should be done, but I understand that I could be worrying for nothing.

Personally, I find the stall sharing a very minor issue, unless the horse was going into a dirty stall. I think a reasonable picking out of the stall would be sufficient. Many places add bedding every other day, so I don't think it is a concern that fresh bedding isn't added twice a day. The caveat would be knowing that if for some reason your horse needed to be in 24/7 for an illness or injury, that the stall would be available. However, as a BO I also recognize that many boarding clients feel territorial about their horse's stall. It has nothing to do with the welfare of the horse and I can guarantee you the horse doesn't care, but it's just a "thing" that people feel that way.

I think it is a good idea to be aware of the value your BO provides in terms of extra care like blanket changes and fly masks, fly boots, etc.--those services are time consuming and annoying to provide. Of course, it would be completely reasonable to compare the services you are getting and the cost to what other barns are delivering/charging.

I think it is pretty normal for a BO not to inform owners of minor scrapes, cuts, small patch of hives, etc. A BO could spend all day sending out texts over minor cuts and scrapes. I definitely would not expect notification of rips and tears to sheets and blankets unless an essential item became unsafe or unwearable.

I don't like the part where the kids under 18 are doing the feed and meds. However, this is really an "it depends" situation. I have hired and fired many farm workers over the years, and there are "responsible" seeming adults who are not adequately reliable about getting feed, meds and supplements correct, but I have had younger workers who took that type of work very seriously and were very trustworthy and accurate.

As far as the teens riding, again, there are plusses and minuses and it is very much an "it depends" situation. There are teens who are lovely riders and whom under the watchful eye of an excellent instructor can be an extremely useful part of a horse's training regimen. A lot of instructors simply don't have the strength and energy to ride every horse every day, so being able to spread out some days among other riders can be very useful. Also, some trainers are very intense and mixing in some less intense, more relaxed rides by a teenager can be a good thing for the physical and mental well-being of the horse. Busy barns with active training programs tend to be great places for horses to develop. Of course, I totally agree that there is a potential liability issue with regard to letting others ride your horse and I think it is perfectly reasonable of you to choose not to have your horse ridden by other parties. If you have chosen NOT to have your horse ridden by teenagers (and I think that is 100% fine) and your instructor is honoring that, I think this is not a concern.

I think Texarkana makes a good point that mentally boarding works better if you think of yourself as a guest. I know that you are spending a lot of money on board, but the reality is that it costs an outrageous amount to own and operate a boarding facility. The profit margin is invariably much lower than clients envision--and in many cases non-existent. Your trainer's business model does not sound terrible to me. She is making ends meet and making the finances work by having a smaller facility with fewer stalls and the horses sharing stalls, and by using working student type labor. If she expanded the size of her facility and hired adult f/t employees to do the work, I'm sure she would have to charge MUCH higher rates.

FWIW, many boarding barns have much worse business models that save $$ in much worse places--poor quality feed and hay, inadequate labor/neglect, and a dangerous or poorly maintained facility. If I had to choose, I'd chose the shared stalls and teenage workers for sure.

None of us can answer for certain what you should do, we can simply offer different perspectives to help you consider your situation and make the choice that is best for you.

Comment

4) Most afternoons kids under 18 are taking care of the horses and dosing meds in with the feeds, at times unsupervised with the trainer and BO off property and no adult on the premises

NO ADULT? No way.

Comment

DressageMare What does your boarding/training contract say about your stall and the other things?

Threads that ask 'should I change barns' are hard to get a real answer on, unless the barn is leaving rusty nails and broken glass in your horse's paddock. What is important to one person is a non-issue for the next. I was shocked when I read my first thread here on COTH where people refused to board some place that did not have a real toilet room or did not have the owner living on site.

1) I personally would not like the shared stall thing, but I am like BeeHoney described above - territorial about my stall. Heck, even with my horses at home I like each horse to have their own personal space, set up how that horse likes it. Now, if I was boarding and the care was exceptional I would be willing to deal with the shared stall. I once boarded at a barn that the owner liked to rearrange stalls from time to time. Kind of the same situation (not really but...), I would show up and have to go find where my horse lived.

Do all the horses share stalls? Or is there just a little bit of overlap? Is it an option to come to some agreement with the barn owner about your horse having a stall that is not shared, even if you pay a little extra for that?

2) The no running a hand over thing does not surprise me or upset me. I assume on the days you pay for training rides that the horse gets a once over (pre and post ride grooming) and any dings that require attention are dealt with. If you want this type of treatment every day then pay for that service every day.

3) The barn owner not rushing over to look at your horse's new rash does not surprise me either. What exactly do you want them to do? I would guess if there was something serious going on the barn owner would come help, but a rash does not reach the level of 'drop what I am doing and come make it right' in the general world of being a barn owner in my eyes.

4) In my experience, minors feeding is not unusual at all. I am not a fan of minors not having any adult supervision for safety reasons, but I have no problem with minors doing horse care with out an adult following them around and documenting their every move. There are some very responsible teens in this world and some very not responsible adults.

5) I do not see the trainer asking you if a teen can ride your horse for experience as a red flag at all. No one made you do it. They just asked you if they could. That is where you do what you did which was state your rules if this was going to happen. If you and the trainer do not agree on those rules then it does not happen. No harm done. I do not see how this in any way makes it such that she does not have your best interest or your horse's best interest first. A teen getting on will help your trainer see if there are holes that might affect your success (stuff that works fine for the trainer that does not work fine if the horse is not asked perfectly).

4) (followed your numbering) To me this reads like the age old situation of it is easy to find things wrong with someone you want to find things wrong with. You are annoyed with this barn owner so it is easy to see anything they say or do as them slighting you.

Horse boarding is always that grass is not always greener thing. Nothing wrong with checking out what else is available out there. Just realize that no barn is going to be 100% exactly what you want it to be. Heck, my horses are at home and my barn is not 100% what I want it to be. You now have a list of things that matter to you that you would not have thought to ask before and make sure are included in your next contract if you decide to move.

Comment

I lived in Southern CT for a time and I'd start by figuring out what normal boarding rates were on the shoreline and then go see what the standard of care was in those barns. The fact that your mare is being ridden well, and you seem to have no complaints about the footing, the farriers or vets they use, are big plusses in this barn that you don't want to lose. Or rather, you don't want to lose those big things in pursuit of better little things, right?

Yanno, OP and friends at home, I almost never get my knickers in the kind of twist that I have to ask you all to help me about boarding. Rather, I look around at my market and choose the best barn for my horse, my commute and my wallet that I can. This truly is just a "go shopping" problem. If you can find better, go. If you cannot, stay and try to figure out how you can do some of the care that your BO will not.

I do think that as land and labor get more and more expensive, BOs start cutting more and more corners to keep the price in check. After all, this post started with "For the High Price I'm paying......". So we, their customers, help create this crunch for them.

This is the first instance of a BO saving money/making money by having two horses per stall. I don't see how this can work in storms or other special situations, as was pointed out up-thread. Also, you'd think they'd fully clean the stall between horses.

The little things about cuts or broken equipment would be something I'd expect to notice and take care of myself. But I have lived on farms and been a groom, so I'm used to thinking that I'm the buck-stopper in care for my horse. I expect the kind of "triage" your BO and someone else up-thread mentioned: If the problem isn't serious, I don't expect a call.
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

1- This would be a hard pass for me. Problematic for a number of reasons- terrible weather, injuries that require stall rest, inability to use things like personal salt blocks, etc. If it is absolutely necessary on occasion, then the stall should be properly cleaned- including buckets- no excuse otherwise.

2- I wouldn’t expect notification for anything that didn’t require treatment (I don’t consider a smear of neosporin “treatment”, I mean things that require proper vet care). A text about a torn fly sheet might be nice, but again, not an emergency. Unless the fly sheet is so torn up that it is becoming a safety hazard, I don’t think that is BO’s responsibility.

3- What are you wanting from the BO in this circumstance? Are you wanting advice on how to treat it, or are you wanting her to take responsibility? Dermatitis, especially caused by a sensitivity to something in turnout or rain/humidity, isn’t something I would expect a BO to take responsibility for.

4- Responsible kids helping with feeding or chores, no problem. Unsupervised kids medicating- no way. It’s irresponsible and hazardous for both the kids and the horses.

5- it’s not unreasonable of the trainer to ask, but it’s also perfectly reasonable for you to say no. If trainer accepts this, no problems! If she keeps pushing the matter, yes, I would be annoyed.

6- IMO, some of your concerns are valid, and some border on high-maintenance. Your best option is probably to do a little barn shopping in the area and evaluate whether you have better options nearby. At the end of the day, only you can decide whether or not you are happy at your current place.

Comment

As a barn manager, some of that is ridiculous, some of it is not.

1. All horses should have their own stalls period. What happens in the event of bad weather/icy pastures? Are there even enough stalls for the number of horses on the property?

2. I don't run my hands over every horse every day, but will fix blankets and fly gear, remove torn fly gear etc. But I usually don't tell the owner unless it's seriously damaged and needs to be thrown out. We also do not keep track of extra feed or supplements, deworming, schedule farrier, shots, coggins etc. That is up to the owner and is stated in the contract.

3. Your barn owner isn't a vet, while they can be knowledgeable it's not up to them to take the liability to tell you how to treat it. If there is an ongoing issue, you need to speak with your vet. I don't usually tell people how to treat anything because I don't want the liability of them taking my advice incorrectly and harming their horse.

4. Minors should not be working with medications unless it's for their own horse and under the supervision of a DVM. Unsupervised children medicating horses is a hard pass for me most of the time. I have one minor that I trust to do it, and I still dose it out for her. She only administers.

5. If you're paying for training, I'd expect the trainer to be putting the rides on horses. Not kids under her supervision. This would be hard pass for me. If she keeps pushing the matter, I would just leave and take your horses elsewhere. To me, who also trains and teaches lessons, she is looking for the money part of it and doesn't care enough about the training your horse receives. It's much easier to sit in the corner and yell at a kid than it is to actually ride. She's looking for the easy way out but still make the money.

6. If she is calling you high maintenance, LEAVE. Leave now. If you think that she thinks you're high maintenance, leave. Because you're probably right.

I’d rather ride on a Mustang, than in one.

BaileyAnn Neal

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback and/or reality checks thus far. A few clarifications...

I don't expect notices about every mark, just ones that would need vet care, and the big ones we keep tabs on--like swollen legs or severe dermatitis (that if not caught ASAP turns to cellulitis in my horse in under 24 hours). Skin issues appear during the muddy season, high humidity and/or if her stall is super wet. I do all the care on cuts, scrapes, dermatitis myself, unless one of the barn staff has time on a day that I can't be there and offers to help (I work more than full time so I'm always on the run) and don't expect the BO to do that for me or tell me how to treat it.

I would like the kids who do the afternoons to just be alerting the BO about ripped fly boots, etc., and then the BO alerting me if she feels necessary instead of being unaware of emerging bad dermatitis outbreaks or unusable gear so I can bring necessary supplies on my trip to barn.

The BO used to be super helpful and communicative about the horse, the dermatitis, gear, etc...now I just don't know what I'll find in the morning...and she doesn't seem to care or seems annoyed. I know she can't change the humidity or the mud, but the wet stalls can be helped by either cleaning them welll in between horses or not sharing the stall....so I guess that's what I'm expecting her to help with. Stall sharing was never mentioned and I was told that minors never administer meds when I looked at the barn 3 years ago.

That part about the stall sharing, plus sharing my worries with BO about inexperienced staff administering equioxx and other prescriptions are the ones that seem to get me on the "high maintenance" list.

WildGooseChase: there are not enough stalls for every horse. There are 9 stalls, plus a run-in shed and a few paddocks with stall-sized overhangs. There 13, sometimes 14, horses. In bad weather, the nighttime outdoor horses go in the aisles with lots of hay.

Training is great, but I ride my horse, not the trainer. The trainer has taught me to work the horse better, which is amazing, but if I can't be there, it often seems like it's too big of an ask for trainer to ride horse (I pay). So yay! I have much better skills and can ride my horse really well, thanks to the trainer's teaching abilities. But a little stressful if I can't get to barn to ride and horse needs a session. She has probably ridden or lunged my horse a total of a dozen or so times in the 3 years I have been at the barn.

For the lessons alone, I know that is worth a lot, but I thank you all for helping me get perspective on the other stuff.

I think I'm pretty chill and definitely introspective so to have it alluded or have BO or some staffers hint that I ask a lot because of the stall thing seems a little harsh. But as I stated in OP, I realize I might need a reality check.

Comment

Editing my post got it flagged ::insert eye roll here since I can't::

Idk what’s “common” for your particular area, but I know that I have never heard of a barn charging full board prices and sharing stalls between two horses that are both paying for full board. This alone would be a big heck no for me.
                            ETA - I'm surprised some people have responded saying sharing a stall isn't a big deal. It's not a "territorial" thing, it's a pretty reasonable expectation that if you pay for a stall, you have a stall available whenever it is needed. If the horse needs stall rest, what will the BO do then if they've double-booked every stall? If there's a serious weather event, will BO leave half of the horses outside to fare their best while stalling the other half, and how will they choose which horses stay out? If my horse is on night turnout, and there's a horse in its stall during the day, and I come out to ride but need to put my horse in a stall for 20 minutes for any variety of plausible reasons, what am I supposed to do then? IMO this is just really bad management of both horses and business, to double-book stalls.
                            I won't even let pasture boarders use a stall boarder's stall for 20 minutes. I'll let them use my horse's stall if it's available, but if my horse is inside, tough luck, pasture board doesn't include stall usage.

Small/minor knicks and bumps do not require notification, IMO. They (hopefully) probably noticed them, but didn’t feel they were necessary to notify you about. Horses do things, it’s a fact of life. If blood isn’t drawn or horse isn’t lame, I’ve never expected a BO to text or call me about random scrapes.

Ripped/destroyed horse clothes, yeah it’d be nice to get a heads up so you can maybe swing by the tack store on your way to the barn to buy a replacement if desired. Not an absolute necessity, though.

I’ve heard it is quite common for working students to ride horses in training. I personally would not be okay with it. If I’m paying for training, it’s for training from a pro, not rides from inexperienced teens.

One time I had a horse with perpetual thrush. He had thrush for 10+ weeks in both front feet no matter what topical I used, even using it 2x per day. Farrier said the only thing that would get it away is a cleaner stall. Turned out they weren’t cleaning out his pee spot, just the poo. Take a wild guess if they did any better after what the farrier said. (They didn’t. I left. Thrush cleared up within days.) Sure, it's not the BO's responsibility to try different treatments and such, but it is their responsibility to acknowledge if the condition could be a result of management/something they're doing. I have a boarder whose horse keeps coming down with a cough, and together we've tried several things. I've tried wetting his hay, putting down PDZ his owner brought out in the stall even though there is not an ammonia stench and I always clean out pee spots, etc. Those things didn't work, and we now know it is seasonal allergies, but as a BO, I at least tried changing my management of the horse's daily routine to see if it helped lessen (or remove) the issue. Your BO either doesn’t think the rash is caused by the dirty stall, or is simply not concerned with the health of your horse enough to actually clean the stall fully between horses. I mean really, how hard is it to clean stalls? Why is it so common for people to not remove pee spots? Gross.

I’d be leaving.

Comment

5) The trainer is often on the look out for the teens she teaches to gain experience by riding other horses; she has asked if she can have the kids work my mare instead of the trainer herself. Even if the trainer is in the ring, my mare is green and I express worry about liability, and also I feel that I shouldn't have to pay for that ride since the goal of training my mare seems secondary to the kids getting experience, which is noble and necessary for developing future riders, but it makes it feel like she doesn't have my interests/my horse's best interests first.

Training is great, but I ride my horse, not the trainer. The trainer has taught me to work the horse better, which is amazing, but if I can't be there, it often seems like it's too big of an ask for trainer to ride horse (I pay). So yay! I have much better skills and can ride my horse really well, thanks to the trainer's teaching abilities. But a little stressful if I can't get to barn to ride and horse needs a session. She has probably ridden or lunged my horse a total of a dozen or so times in the 3 years I have been at the barn.
                              If the trainer does not ride your horse (almost never) then what trainer riding is the trainer asking you to pay for but have kids ride instead?

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

If the trainer does not ride your horse (almost never) then what trainer riding is the trainer asking you to pay for but have kids ride instead?
                                trubandloki the teens riding my mare comes up if I have a busy week and ask if she can ride my horse in lieu of our lesson together, or ask if she can put an additional ride in. I usually end up either rearranging my schedule or giving the horse another day off. I know some teenagers/young people who are far better riders than me, but these kids aren't it. They are decent, but IMO not adept at riding non-schoolmasters.

BTW: it is standard practice at my barn to swap out a lesson for a training ride, with the understanding that the ride will be shorter than the lesson to factor in tacking/grooming.
                                Last edited by DressageMare; Aug. 4, 2020, 12:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback and/or reality checks thus far. A few clarifications...

I don't expect notices about every mark, just ones that would need vet care, and the big ones we keep tabs on--like swollen legs or severe dermatitis (that if not caught ASAP turns to cellulitis in my horse in under 24 hours). Skin issues appear during the muddy season, high humidity and/or if her stall is super wet. I do all the care on cuts, scrapes, dermatitis myself, unless one of the barn staff has time on a day that I can't be there and offers to help (I work more than full time so I'm always on the run) and don't expect the BO to do that for me or tell me how to treat it.

I would like the kids who do the afternoons to just be alerting the BO about ripped fly boots, etc., and then the BO alerting me if she feels necessary instead of being unaware of emerging bad dermatitis outbreaks or unusable gear so I can bring necessary supplies on my trip to barn.

The BO used to be super helpful and communicative about the horse, the dermatitis, gear, etc...now I just don't know what I'll find in the morning...and she doesn't seem to care or seems annoyed. I know she can't change the humidity or the mud, but the wet stalls can be helped by either cleaning them welll in between horses or not sharing the stall....so I guess that's what I'm expecting her to help with. Stall sharing was never mentioned and I was told that minors never administer meds when I looked at the barn 3 years ago.

That part about the stall sharing, plus sharing my worries with BO about inexperienced staff administering equioxx and other prescriptions are the ones that seem to get me on the "high maintenance" list.

WildGooseChase: there are not enough stalls for every horse. There are 9 stalls, plus a run-in shed and a few paddocks with stall-sized overhangs. There 13, sometimes 14, horses. In bad weather, the nighttime outdoor horses go in the aisles with lots of hay.

For the lessons alone, I know that is worth a lot, but I thank you all for helping me get perspective on the other stuff.

I think I'm pretty chill and definitely introspective so to have it alluded or have BO or some staffers hint that I ask a lot because of the stall thing seems a little harsh. But as I stated in OP, I realize I might need a reality check.
                                  Yikes, yikes, yikes!! I would leave and quickly. If there are not enough stalls for every horse whose horse ends up with the short end of the stick and outside when the pastures are in poor condition or severe weather comes through? What if your horse is injured and needs 24/7 stall rest for weeks or months at a time? Will your BO be able to accomodate that? Sounds like that's a no.

We used to board this way too. We had 25-27 horses on a 22 stall property. We were always getting complaints even though the pasture boarders knew that they were not entitled to nor paying for stall access. We don't board this way because we want every horse to have it's own stall for severe weather, when the pastures are muddy and icy, and if a horse injures themselves. We also found that the property itself could not handle more horses than stalls if that makes sense.

Edited to add: The extra horses are loose in the aisles???? Holy smokes girl, leave! That's an accident waiting to happen!
                                  I’d rather ride on a Mustang, than in one.

BaileyAnn Neal

Comment

there are not enough stalls for every horse. There are 9 stalls, plus a run-in shed and a few paddocks with stall-sized overhangs. There 13, sometimes 14, horses. In bad weather, the nighttime outdoor horses go in the aisles with lots of hay.
                                    All other things aside, this is a hard no for me. NO.

Comment

As you likely know. space can be at a premium on the shoreline, so finding a place that has all day turnout plus the indoor and training can be a challenge! It sounds like mostly you have lost good communication and faith with the BO. Perhaps a meeting and discussion might help. Maybe offer to pay extra for the stall to not be used by others and to stay extra dry due to your horse's skin issues.
                                      I wouldn't expect a hands-on examination of my horse when I wasn't around, but would expect a call for anything obvious and serious. If skin issues can go badly very quickly for your horse, I would leave a note on the stall asking to be called if they notice XYZ.
                                      At least the trainer asked about having others ride your horse and, to your knowledge, has not done so without permission.
                                      The teens feeding wouldn't worry me unless they were handling something like Regumate.

I think my first step might be to closely examine any boarding options you might have. Your lack of confidence in the trainer has made you a bit high maintenance but you might find a program that suits you better. Investigate carefully before rocking the boat too much at your current place!

Comment

Greedy BO!

Double stalling, using kids for barn help- fine if they are only doing stalls, but not fine if medicating and feeding.

Trainer not really training!

What an outfit.
                                        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Working...
                                        X