Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

4H an in-house program at lesson barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4H an in-house program at lesson barn

Talk to me about offering 4H as an in-house program at a lesson barn.

In these COVID-19 times, we're limiting travel which means showing (and the social aspect that comes with it) is lost for our students. So we're looking at other options (+ potential outreach to the local backyard-type horse kids in our rural area).
    I personally come from a Pony-Club background but out here in the sticks, it's hard to justify the cost of National + Regional memberships (we're a 5 hour round trip from the closest other Club) and I am afraid that because of the fairly low-income area (where most horse owners keep horses at home and participate in local "cheap" open shows) it wouldn't be viable.

So we're looking at 4-H. Anyone runs a program out of their lesson barn? Any advice?

The lady who runs my lesson barn in NC has been doing 4-H for a long time as in well over a decade. She had tried Pony Club (she may be doing it still, I'm not sure) and the inter-collegiate/&/or school program, I can't remember its name. She stopped doing that one.

The stable is hunt seat mostly.

She seems very happy working within the 4-H framework for her riders.

Comment

We never ran a 4H program but did do the Morgan Youth. At the height of the program we had about thirty-five kids. The Morgan Youth program was designed many years ago, very well thought out with progressions for the kids to earn awards as their knowledge improved.

My wife and I were on the Department of Ag committee that redesigned the 4H Equine program to allow for kids who did not own a horse to participate. We used the first two levels of the Morgan Youth as guide to change the 4H Equine programs. (Also created a Model Horse division for the inner city kids....it was to use Breyer type models as those kids horses, really do not know if that part of 4H ever went forward)

The first three levels of the Morgan Youth program are general horse knowledge, applicable to any Horse breed... so these might be a good starting point....
      https://www.morganhorse.com/youth/horsemastership/

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you both! I'll have a look at the Morgan Youth program for sure.

Comment

I am a 4-H leader and may be able to answer your questions.

The program is very flexible in terms of goals. There are opportunities to teach whatever you like, and it opens up options to local competitions, if they exist, such as knowledge bowls.

I think it could be a good way to tie your program in to the local community and perhaps get more local kids into your lesson program. But, to be fully integrated, your kids would also be expected to attend the monthly club meetings, and there are other club-based activities they may get involved with, such as volunteer work, fundraising, etc. Our area has an annual speech/presentation competition. Our kids are expected to submit record books at the end of each year, but that's not, I think, strictly required. There's a small annual fee.

I'd reach out to your local club leader and feel them out - is this someone you want to work with? In normal times, I'd suggest you attend a meeting. Right now we meet over zoom, so that may be an option but it will not be like normal times.

To be a 4-H leader you will need to be fingerprinted, you'll have to do annual web-based trainings on safety, and you'll have to follow their rules that include helmets on at all times around horses, etc. In exchange you get some coverage from their insurance. 4-H is run out of the state land grant universities and is usually tied into cooperative extension.

My county is very active in 4-H with significant clubs in every community. Horse is not as strong here as some of the other projects but it is a large community of kids doing fun stuff. We have a county coordinator with a library that is free to projects to use.

Ask someone who does this professionally how they separate the business part from the club part and how they handle people who are also clients versus kids who are coming only to meetings. You may not have any kids in that category.

Depending on your goals, it might work as well to set up your own internal pony club type fun social days and activities and ratings. The barn I used to take my daughter to did that.

I am in California and some of what I mentioned may be different in your state, but at least it gives you a start on what questions to ask.
          If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

It’s been years since I researched 4-H, but my main concern would be the actual business/income potential. Do I understand correctly that you don’t think your market will support Pony Club-specific dues, but will support general riding/coaching/lessoning costs? In my experience, 4-H was/is very much volunteer-focused. “DIY” was very much the ideal. None of the club adults were making any money. Few of the kids themselves were part of a structured, trainer-led barn or program. But I suppose that that could just have been that area.

As a business line, I am more familiar with high school and college programs being run out of private barns.

Comment

I coach a kid who is in 4H. The amount they pay for their 4H lessons is minimal. (I think $15 a lesson, including arena fee).

A coach friend had a very large, competitive 4H program...but it completely burned her out as she was always chasing for volunteers and coordinating fund raisers so she pulled the plug.

I think 4H is fantastic...but I don't think it is a money maker for the coach/barn.
              Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Oh the other thing to know about 4-H is that their rules do not allow kids under 9 years old to handle horses (or any large animal) in a 4-H project.

If you want to use 4-H as a feeder, it might also work for you to recruit an adult to be a co-leader if you want help with the organizational aspects. It's not necessary for that person to have instructor-level horse knowledge.

If you have other horse clubs in the area, or a local fair, your club might get some fun new competition opportunities, and there may be other events in the area that have divisions for 4-H (I think competitive trail might). The 4-H branding can be useful for getting a chance to go places on field trips or to get experts to come talk to your group.
                If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Also remember that, way more than in Pony Club, 4H parents take an important role and you have to manage not only the kids but the parents.

Here there are many 4H kids and conflicts between parents eventually resulted in two different 4H groups forming.
                  Most parents are extremely nice and helpful, is those few clueless, pushy ones that can make it unpleasant for others.

Since this is more about western way of life and events, there don't seem to be helmets required here.
                  Some of the younger kids do wear a helmet when they remember, but it is not so always.

Before COVID, there was one local group using our arena.
                  Since then there seems not to be any 4H activities, just junior rodeos, different groups those.
                  Not sure if and what 4H groups will do in the coming year.
                  May want to consider that also, if there will be continuity or not to their programs.

Comment

The 4-H helmet rule is apparently by state, but it's the same for any style of riding. The leader is meant to enforce the rule as set by the state policy.

As far as parents, there is less of the pony club culture of no parents allowed, but the intent is for it to be child-led and how that is locally will likely vary depending upon what the local people have instituted so far. Unlike with pony club, 4-H kids are often handling animals that are bigger and more dangerous than can be handled by one person, especially one small person - think a 9 year old with her first pig. But there's no reason you can't have a parents-are-hands-off policy for 4-H horse, especially if parents don't have to trailer them in.

In our state, we are doing 4-H wholly over zoom right now and we are not allowed to meet in person. I don't think there's any risk that 4-H as a whole is going away.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughtful and detailed responses!

Yes, I am not approaching this as a major "money-maker" but rather as poltroon was saying as an outreach to the local community and an opportunity for my students to integrate more with our community (through shows, outings, etc).
                      Of course, it could be helpful in "marketing" our lesson program a bit and perhaps picking up a few more students (and there also seems to be the possibility of leasing mounts to 4H kids) but that's not the main motivation here.

Helpful point about the parents too, thanks! And having a co-leader is a great idea and might help with diffusing some of the "politics" I suppose.
                      Most of my students' families are not horsey and I am hoping that perhaps with giving them a more active role (fundraising, etc) there would be more buy-in and support of their kids' lessons. The advantage of 4-H is that it has "name recognition" here and parents might be more likely to support their kids' endeavors if they "understand" the project (horsebowl, etc and there is an end of the season "championship goal" like the Fair). Right now for some families, riding isn't has much a priority as Basketball or Swim Team. These kids are not more interested in swimming than ponies so I think the difference is parental buy-in: Parents attend ball games, coach, transport, organize bake sales, etc. We don't have that local community involvement in the average "typical" riding lesson program.

(and a note about Pony-Club to respond to Redlei44 : Pony-Club would very much be my preference as in our State the emphasis of 4H is very much Western Pleasure, going around in circles and even games/speed events have to be ridden in Western tack according to the State rulebook. But out here in the boondocks Pony-Club has no name recognition with the parents - whereas they know 4H. There are no USPC competitions/ratings, etc locally and while parents might be willing to pay $200 towards leasing a horse for the Fair, they are not going to put that towards national and regional fees with what they see as having little ROI).

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Kirikou, in my area it seems that 4-H is very shaped by local interests and volunteers. It might be that in your area that the existing 4-H would be resistant to english tack, but it may also be that one person standing up and saying, "Hey, I have a bunch of riders who would like to do some gaming in english tack and show english at the fair" is enough to make it happen, if you can get the classes filled.

IME, can't budge state rules for state fair locally, but I have had no trouble showing up at the local unrecognized $4 gymkhana with my dressage saddle. My horse got a ton of terrific show miles that way - now a dressage show is a very mellow situation for her. :-)

Comment

I think any program that teaches kids about good horsemanship, fair play and responsibility is a great idea. I was Pony Clubber way back in the day and the lessons I learned stayed with me. I've seen a lot of 4Hers at our local Fair and their programs seem great for kids. AQHA also has an active Youth organization.

Comment

My main barn has a 4H program as well. (Very locally-oriented; I think I've seen them pack off to events at the county and maaaybe the state level but it's not really what the program is all about.) There are a lot of local horse-interested kids who love it to pieces who mostly take over the place for an afternoon a week. (They're not at all awful, but the ambient activity and energy level goes up several notches.)

I think it does feed the lesson program to some degree, and the farm gets some volunteer labor out of it, but I'm basically in agreement with the above that it's more about goodwill and community engagement than anything.

Comment

I can't speak for the riding aspect of 4H, but I was a leader or co-leader for horse judging and horse bowl (and other, non-horsy) projects. Most of our kids didn't have horses to ride, hence the book-learning. Our kids loved-loved-loved horse bowl and were pretty competitive at it. We all really liked learning conformation and examining horses for horse bowl - we learned a bunch, kids and adults alike - but none of us adored competing in the actual horse judging contests. Maybe that's just us.

A thought: studying horse bowl or horse judging may be easier for these Covid times than having in-person meetings with horses.

We went to seven years of the state Roundup in different projects, from dance to horse stuff to photography and wildlife. This was particularly good for our kids, who are rural and mostly economically disadvantaged and majority Hispanic. Fundraising was a big deal - we earned every penny. We wanted to show the kids that the larger world is meant for them too and we dragged them all over the western half of the state. You've never seen politer, more well-behaved kids when we traveled. They knew it was their money that paid for our dinners at Red Lobster, which they thought was the fanciest place on earth, and their money that paid for the slightly nicer hotel with the INDOOR pool in February. They took tremendous pride in being from a poor, underserved, low-population county and competing, and winning, against much larger, well-funded county 4-Hs that ran like machines.

All that is to say, in a long-winded way, I'm really a 4-H advocate. 4-H teaches kids to work with each other, work for what they want, to shake hands with a stranger and - in horse judging at least - formulate an opinion and defend it. Pretty cool.

Comment

I was in 4-H for 10 years, in my area, 4-H is HUGE. Our county club has 200 kids who enroll about 400 horses.

it is all administered through the county extension office, and administered on the state level by Purdue University. Purdue establishes the rules and the curriculum. The local club has some leeway on what is required for annual completion. But, they can’t override certain guidelines Purdue has in place - for example, the club must offer a way for kids without a horse to “complete” the year - which generally means a poster or an essay. 99% of the kids have an animal by lease or ownership and show at the county fair. We have everything from 30K “made” horses to $300 auction rescues competing.

I’d check with whomever administers 4-H at the state level - you may find it to be turn-key or quite onerous.

I can say my 4-H experience was the highlight of my life growing up - and 25 years later, completing 10 years (the maximum of the program) is considered quite an accomplishment.

Comment

In a midwestern rural area as well and did 4H until I was 18. As an adult in my 40's I helped with some clubs, then started one of my own out of my barn with just a half dozen kids. We had a blast, but trying to wrestle the control from other adults and put it into the hands of the kids (while overseen by the adults) was a struggle. We finally got my two oldest kids - HS seniors - on the board of the local council and they learned so much about management and structure! But it didn't last long. I'm so sad the local 4H has turned into a place for adults to show off their kids, not to let their kids learn to ride, and manage, and grow in a safe environment.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your excellent points to consider!
                                    poltroon - great idea to ask whether English tack would be acceptable for speed events (you're right it might just not be in the local rules because no one as asked so far). (ps: I can well imagine that a dressage show would feel quiet and mellow to any young horse after attending 4-H gaming events! ).
                                    rockymouse - yes, you're definitely right than Horsebowl would be safer in these COVID times - and easier to organize over Zoom over the Winter.
                                    And Michigan posters, I am jealous reading about your huge clubs! I was reading the Michigan rulebook the other night and I was impressed about the variety of events offers (jumping classes, distance-riding, etc). You guys are lucky! (and good point also about how to best encourage kids to lead amongst all the parents' politics).
                                    Thank you again everyone!

Comment

The nice thing about horsebowl in these COVID times is that you might not be restricted to just local clubs. You could make connections anywhere! Now I'm curious if anyone has done that and how they set it up, because I bet my poultry kids would enjoy that too.

Comment

Original Poster

I do like the idea of reaching further outside of our local area with Horsebowl. I need to investigate! (ps: good luck with the poulty poltroon !)

Comment

Working...
                                        X