Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Spinoff of Cancelled Shows threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustTheTicket View Post

For me, it boils down to everyone feels entitled to live their lives the way they’re used to, and heaven forbid they have to change things up for a bit.
    "Entitled"? How arrogant of you to say I feel "entitled". No just trying to find some normalcy amid this... and recognizing that for some of us, the future is uncertain. "Heaven forbid" I have to change things up? How arrogant of you to try and put that on me, or anyone who decides to show. Or, for that matter, doesnt your comment extend to anyone who decides to do ANYTHING except stay in their house? And isnt that a bit ridiculous? You train for marathons - is anyone else on the road near you? Do you go to the grocery or buy gas for your car?

I practice social distancing. I wear a mask. I rarely go to town, and limit my stops to the bare minimum. I have eaten in an OUTDOOR restaurant ONE TIME since this whole thing began. I HAVE changed things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post

Out of curiosity, how was it 'proven' that horse shows are a low risk activity?
      Italian study shows: risk of spreading COVID-19 while riding almost non-existing

https://equnews.com/corona/italian-s...t-non-existing

I thought I saw a list of activities ranked and horseback riding outside was very low risk, but I can't seem to find that now. It was a few months ago

Comment

Originally posted by JustTheTicket View Post

For me, it boils down to everyone feels entitled to live their lives the way they’re used to, and heaven forbid they have to change things up for a bit.
        Its not about being entitled. Its proven that riding horses outside is one of the lower risk activities. Getting uppity about this is really getting old. We are all adults and can read what the CDC is saying, and each county has a different experience/spread. Clearly if you are in a hot spot then you would do things much differently and not show.
        Each barn. showground, and trailering setup is quite unique. I can really control what I touch and how I interact with others at a horse show. I have a different set of tack/grooming equipment for my trainer to use.

so we don't really need lectures, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMoo View Post
          I don’t think asking why 2020 isn’t a wash as “drama.” Covid-19 cases are still rising, some states are rolling back their openings, people are NOT doing the right thing (Someone posted they went to NY from Florida and didn’t quarantine.) and some horse shows do require interstate travel.

Drama is saying “it’s hard to breathe in the heat with a mask on and having to run or walk.”
          These threads aren’t about understanding a different viewpoint. They are about complaining why everyone isn’t doing exactly what you are doing, and it’s childish and stupid. OP knows why people are still showing.
          I am so darn tired of the complainers. On BOTH sides of the mask/social distancing issue. One side complaining that they have to wear a piece of cloth, how that must violate their rights, and why can’t they go to Disney world yet. The other side complaining how not every single human is doing exactly what they are and never leaving their house and eating canned green beans because that’s all they have left since they haven’t gone to the store in a month.
          just ridiculous. You do you people. You do you. Don't worry about all the others, you ain’t gonna change them.
          Last edited by TooManyBays; Jul. 8, 2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewYork_Marx View Post

Italian study shows: risk of spreading COVID-19 while riding almost non-existing

https://equnews.com/corona/italian-s...t-non-existing

I thought I saw a list of activities ranked and horseback riding outside was very low risk, but I can't seem to find that now. It was a few months ago
            That is riding. Not showing. Showing brings other issues into the equation: travel, bathrooms, stabling, show stewards, eating out, and just the general social atmosphere that people may fall back into (even if they "know" better).
            Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

These threads aren’t about understanding a different viewpoint. They are about complaining why everyone isn’t doing exactly what you are doing, and it’s childish and stupid. OP knows why people are still showing.
              I am so darn tired of the complainers. On BOTH sides of the mask/social distancing issue. One side complaining that they have to wear a piece of cloth, how that must violate their rights, and why can’t they go to Disney world yet. The other side complaining how not every single human is doing exactly what they are and never leaving their house and eating canned green beans because that’s all they have left since they haven’t gone to the store in a month.
              just ridiculous. You do you people. You do you. Don't worry about all the others, you ain’t gonna change them.

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post

That is riding. Not showing. Showing brings other issues into the equation: travel, bathrooms, stabling, show stewards, eating out, and just the general social atmosphere that people may fall back into (even if they "know" better).
                So what?

I can work, I can golf, I can go to the beach, I can play other sports, I can eat in a restaurant.

Why the focus on horse shows?

Children are going to go back to school as normal in August but I'm not supposed to go to a horse show?

People are taking vacations all over the country, but I can't horse show?

People are camping at state parks, boating, hiking.

If things change and those activities get shut down so be it. I'll stay home again. But until then it's getting a little old focusing on horse shows and none of those other things.

http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

So what?

I can work, I can golf, I can go to the beach, I can play other sports, I can eat in a restaurant.

Why the focus on horse shows?

Children are going to go back to school as normal in August but I'm not supposed to go to a horse show?

People are taking vacations all over the country, but I can't horse show?

People are camping at state parks, boating, hiking.

If things change and those activities get shut down so be it. I'll stay home again. But until then it's getting a little old focusing on horse shows and none of those other things.
                  Wait, what? People are taking vacations all over the country? I had no idea. In Canada travel is really restricted between provinces. I had no idea it wasn't the same in the US.

My point was just that riding does not equal showing. There are additional considerations when it comes to shows, such as typical gathering points (which can be addressed - and EC's rules do a good job of it), more people in the arena, and travel...so that study supports riding, but should not be used to infer showing is fine.

I had no idea that in the US, travel between states was back to normal. Very different here.
                  Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Wait, what? People are taking vacations all over the country? I had no idea. In Canada travel is really restricted between provinces. I had no idea it wasn't the same in the US.

My point was just that riding does not equal showing. There are additional considerations when it comes to shows, such as typical gathering points (which can be addressed - and EC's rules do a good job of it), more people in the arena, and travel...so that study supports riding, but should not be used to infer showing is fine.

I had no idea that in the US, travel between states was back to normal. Very different here.
                    Travel has never been restricted between states. Why many people did not go on vacation or travel during the initial outbreak, and lots of vacations got cancelled, people are now.
                    Things are mostly back to normal as of the middle of June. I don't have an issue with people who feel it's better to stay at home or not horse show. But there are lots of other activities that are allowed and I don't see the difference.

Comment

I can see people wanting to show, but I can't imagine wanting to volunteer to run the shows.

Comment

Travel has never been restricted between states. Why many people did not go on vacation or travel during the initial outbreak, and lots of vacations got cancelled, people are now.
                        Things are mostly back to normal as of the middle of June. I don't have an issue with people who feel it's better to stay at home or not horse show. But there are lots of other activities that are allowed and I don't see the difference.
                        There have definitely been restrictions on travel between states. Delaware locked itself down and cops were preventing people with out of state tags from shopping at stores in DE. This was March/April. Restrictions have been lifted for the most part but some states still have restrictions, including NY restricting travellers from certain states that have an increase in COVID cases.

Depending on the state you live in, restriction is a complex matter. My brother lives in MD and works in DE - he lives about 30 min from the office. You cannot restrict him from going into the office since he is an essential worker. The best/most local children's hospital for Cecil County, MD is in DE. Adults and children are often transported from the hospital in my town to the one in DE because it is bigger/has better and more advanced tech. Beaches were closed, then closed to out of state and now open with restrictions.

That being said, we can't sit in our houses forever - life must go on. So allowing horse shows, camping, other events, with restrictions is a way to start getting back to normal. One show I usually go to is restricting number of "guests" and not allowing late entries. Another show is just paring down their max participants. Another venue that is on public land just got clearance to start allowing events at the end of June. It's all going to be different depending in state/area/whether the venue is on public or private land. Whether or not you participate is up to your personal risk adversion.

Comment

My trainer and a couple barnmates are at Angelstone right now. They said it's eerily quiet, doesn't really feel like a horseshow.
                          To get onto the showgrounds you have to be on the list as a competitor or essential like trainers and grooms. You get your temperature checked as well.
                          Masks are required unless you're on a horse or in your barn area. Each barn has their own portapotty.
                          Limits to the number of horses in the rings. Staff/volunteers are making sure people aren't congregating or hanging out at the rings.
                          Bring your own food, or order online from the vendor at the show for takeout. All entries are done online.
                          Braiding is penalized to prevent braiders from being on the property, going between barns, etc.

I chose not to go. Financially and from a competition/training standpoint it didn't make sense for my horses and I. For those that did go, it's been perfect. Like a high end schooling show. Not as much pressure, lots of benefits. Trainer moved his young jumper up to the 1.35m, she's never shown above 1.20m. They're trying to decide if they keep her or sell her. Two juniors went with new horses. One AA with a young horse who had never shown before.

Our barn is hosting two "Derby weekends". One hunter, one jumper. All entries online. No ribbons, just prize money. Everyone gets a time slot, ship in - show - go home. There will never be more than 10 people at the ring/trailers/schooling at one time. Masks required unless on a horse. No braiding.
                          It's un-rated, but they're following EC rules and guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajierene View Post

There have definitely been restrictions on travel between states.
                            There have been announcements about travel and travel restrictions but I do not know of any state that even tried to close its borders to people from other states.

Delaware locked itself down and cops were preventing people with out of state tags from shopping at stores in DE.
                            So this sounds like you can come to Delware, you are just not allowed to shop there. Two very different things.

Restrictions have been lifted for the most part but some states still have restrictions, including NY restricting travellers from certain states that have an increase in COVID cases.
                            The way I understand the NY restrictions (I happen to live in NY) is that if you come to NY from one of the ever changing places on the list you are required to self quarantine for 14 days. Not that NY has people sitting at the state borders telling people they can not come in.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                              There have been announcements about travel and travel restrictions but I do not know of any state that even tried to close its borders to people from other states.

So this sounds like you can come to Delware, you are just not allowed to shop there. Two very different things.

The way I understand the NY restrictions (I happen to live in NY) is that if you come to NY from one of the ever changing places on the list you are required to self quarantine for 14 days. Not that NY has people sitting at the state borders telling people they can not come in.
                              Yes, you could trave through Delaware or mosey around DE but not stop and get out. That is a restriction and YES, people from neighboring states were attempting to shop in DE in late Mar/Apr/May and being denied. That is a travel restriction - if you are sent back to your car to come back from whence you came, then you are being restricted. New York's self quarantine stand is also restricting travel as I cannot hop on up to NYC (as I like to do) and hang out for the day. I'm not doing much with work so hopping on the train or driving up to NYC would be nice. That is a restriction. (technically, I can go hang out in NYC all I want, as long as I don't get caught as someone coming in from out of state and not self-quarantining).

I know someone who was supposed to go from CA to MA for work in the beginning of June but couldn't go as traveling would mean 2 week self-quarantine and doing that for a 4 day work trip was not worth "company budget".

Comment

Originally posted by suzyq View Post
                                I can see people wanting to show, but I can't imagine wanting to volunteer to run the shows.
                                Guess I'm crazy then - I have volunteered at two shows so far under CoVid restrictions. Can't say I found it too different to previous "Normal" shows but I was doing Stadium Warm-Up and basically you're on your own at a board & calling out to riders to get them into the ring (it was marginally different to previous in that the two jobs of Warm-Up & In Gate were combined to reduce numbers - actually seemed to work better!).
                                I happen to have got to know a lot of Professionals since I moved to Central Florida and appreciate that they need to get their Sale or Owners' horses some competitions and that the sport will die if venues don't have some revenue, which they can only get from holding competitions. I can also sympathize with riders who themselves aren't getting any younger or with older horses that will lose an irreplaceable year of competition.
                                Brock
                                Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

Comment

Originally posted by suzyq View Post
                                  but I can't imagine wanting to volunteer to run the shows.
                                  well, these days All those people just have a ready set excuse when asked to Help at a show. Back in the 1990s we relied almost 100% on the same people to work the shows, not because they wanted to or demanded the position but because everyone else was "too busy" or "was concerned they would not know what to do" or some other excuse.... so, Cov19 sounds pretty good.

As for the sports demise, I worked with Ralston Purina in the very early 1990s as a board member of an exploratory committee looking into just where the horse industry was headed. The conclusion pretty much was the result that we have.... that is why Ralston Purina sold off the Purina Feeds horse feed division they saw the industry in a downward spiral, which has continued.

Take a look at the Active Member count on this board.... which is now headed toward going under 3,000. There was a time in the not so distant past where the count averaged closer to five thousand then an extended period of around 4500... before the continued spiraling downward (well the collapse of the web base sure wasn't a help, but those that have gone are not returning).

Comment

I don't understand how the police have all this time to drive around to retail parking lots and remove people with out of state plates. Or to say that someone can't stop for gas or food when driving through. I think this is more what people have heard and not what is actually happening.

I also think that a mandatory two week self quarantine is ridiculous. How are we making sure people are doing this? We aren't.

My state had a non essential travel ban. Which meant nothing except to the people who were already staying home.

It's like mandating masks. Our local police will not enforce this. Period. It's up to a retail business to take the brunt to remove customers.

States with hot spots should be mandating masks and restricting things like horse shows. But elsewhere I think a case by case basis is necessary.

Comment

I don't understand how the police have all this time to drive around to retail parking lots and remove people with out of state plates. Or to say that someone can't stop for gas or food when driving through. I think this is more what people have heard and not what is actually happening.

I also think that a mandatory two week self quarantine is ridiculous. How are we making sure people are doing this? We aren't.

My state had a non essential travel ban. Which meant nothing except to the people who were already staying home.

It's like mandating masks. Our local police will not enforce this. Period. It's up to a retail business to take the brunt to remove customers.

States with hot spots should be mandating masks and restricting things like horse shows. But elsewhere I think a case by case basis is necessary.
                                      Ehh. As much as I'd like my state (Maryland) to lock down its southern border, I know it won't happen. But even if mandates and travel bans and self quarantine restrictions only stop 10 percent of people that's better than none. And I think it's stopping a higher percentage than that. Not high enough, but higher.

Comment

When CA was shut down they were turning people away at the border. At least in SoCal. New Mexico is turning people from AZ away. Some states are and have restricted travel.

Comment

Two Americans were fined for not following Canada's quarantine rules. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ules-1.5011388
                                          I think the attitude of "it's too difficult to enforce" is a very dangerous one.

Masks have been mandated in much of Ontario now. Each public health unit/region makes the decision for their area. We're doing it and we've only had 7 new cases in the last week, and no deaths. It's a simple request.

Comment

Working...
                                          X