Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Do you dismount right after each ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you dismount right after each ride?

Okay, slightly strange question but this recently came up:

After each riding session, lesson or trail ride I dismount immediately, loosen the girth and then untack quickly. Often taking the horse handgrazing in halter right after. My previous riding instructors/coaches taught me that you do not use your horse as an armchair - just sitting in the saddle after you are done riding. Apparently this is uncomfortable for horses?

There is someone at my stables who routinely sits on her horse a good 15-20 minutes after a lesson/ride and shoots the breeze with people around her. Her horse is obedient, stands quietly and doesn't look overly bothered. But I cringe whenever I see this. I mean I have untacked, cold hosed my horse, gave him treats - meanwhile she still happily natters on and makes no move to dismount.
    I recently mentioned to her that this "might be uncomfortable for her horse" and "that he probably wants that saddle off after a hard lesson" ...she was a bit put out.

So, my question is: do you dismount right away after each ride?

I don't imagine that the horse minds. Working horses, like a ranch horse or a police horse, get ridden for several hours. And they are taken care of, but probably not overly pampered at the end of a day. A hard lesson is not enough to put your average horse into a state of exhaustion.

Comment

I ride at home by myself, so there is no reason to stand around and talk. I hop off, he gets a treat and I loosen his girth, then back to the barn for untacking/hosing/etc.

Back when I boarded I might have stayed on for 10-15 minutes talking, but I'd just walk on the buckle while I chatted.

In general, I agree with you that your horse doesn't want to act as your armchair.

I also realize that for some horses, standing there calmly may be part of the training itself (though it doesn't sound like it in this situation). I can't imagine it's comfortable for the horse, but I also don't think it would be all that much worse than standing with a backpack? No idea really. I've seen people do it at H/J and Western shows all the time waiting for their turn to ride. Not common at all with the more structured dressage shows.

Comment

I am not sure there is a totally right/wrong answer here. What works best for that horse and that rider might not be what is best for the next horse or rider.

I hack over to my lessons so typically I hack back home and then dismount. That is probably more work for my horse than sitting on their back for half an hour gabbing with my friends.

Some people will go out for a hack/trail ride after a lesson to do their cool down.

I do agree that my horse is not a couch. If I am at a show and there is an extensive time between now and my next ride, I get off and let my horse relax. I just do not think that sitting for a bit after a ride or lesson is going to be an issue.

Comment

For sure we are all guilty of this sometimes, someone walks up to the ring and you chat with them while mounted but in general I agree with you. Once cooled out, I do not make it a habit of sitting on my horse to socialize unless we're going to go for a walk with someone out of the arena. Does it bother the horses? Probably not, but I equate it to taking off a sports bra after a good workout- its not going to kill me to keep it on, but it feels great to take it off! LOL The exception to this is showing- I hate when people sit on their horses for hours at a show. If your class isn't going to go for a while, don't use your horse like an arm chair.

Comment

I will spend a good bit of time walking out on a loose rein after a ride. There may be chatting involved but usually not so much. So no, I do not immediately hop off etc. I may also get off and walk the horse for a good bit after a ride. Cooling out is every bit as important as warming up and I think it is often skimped upon. That said, I don't just sit there on the horse for more than a minute or two once we are done, either.
            No matter where you go, there you are

Comment

There's nothing really wrong with sitting on a horse post ride-- unless that ride was an endurance race, cross country run, etc. I've hopped off quickly and done your routine, and I've shot the breeze while walking around the ring or just standing in a group. My horses have behaved the same way regardless of the post ride routine I undertake.

I feel like you've got the mindset of "they're doing it all wrong!" and want to tell folks that. I'd just close my mouth and do my thing, otherwise you come off as a bit of a know-it-all.
              Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

At the end of my riding career, I always got off, loosened the girth and thanked her. I think she knew and understood it.

Might not immediately put her away if we were chatting after a lesson or ride but getting off yes.
                Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; John Gilliespie Magee, Jr

Comment

Eh, I think this more of a personal preference thing than a clear right or wrong thing. 10-15 minutes doesn’t seem to be hurting anything and it’s part of their routine. I occasionally use dismounting immediately as a reward, and I definitely don’t like to see someone sitting on a horse for 30 or 60 minutes waiting for classes. But I’ll also hack after a lesson to cool out, ride back to the barn, or hang out waiting for others to be done too. I’d leave it alone if I were you (and certainly not cause drama or conflict trying to get this person to agree with you).

Comment

The colt starter I sent my mare to specifically told me to spend time just standing. It teaches them patience while they also get a break and get to relax, and my mare is the dominant kind that needs to have a job and expectations of good behavior. So yes, I routinely take a few minutes to stand and chitchat with my trainer, and also walk around on a loose rein cooling her out.

If it is uncomfortable for the horse, you probably need a new saddle! Nothing about you being on their back should be uncomfortable. Lord knows that as good as my horses have it, the least they can do is work for an hour five times a week.

Comment

I vary because it helps my horses to not be so barn/buddy sour. Sometimes I immediately come home and unharness/untack, cold hose then toss back out in pasture. Sometimes I leave tied (for up to an hour) after working. Sometimes, I make them stand with me mounted or while still hooked to cart for a good 15-20 min.

I almost never do the same routine 2 days in a row bc it teaches them patience. If they are extremely sweaty (in winter or summer), I will usually cold hose or place a cooler sooner rather than later.

I do not use my horses as armchairs at shows, trail rides, hunter paces, etc. If it's going to be a long time waiting around or for next class, I will usually at least loosen the girth. I don't just stand around mounted for an hour before a class.

Comment

I always do now not because it is better for the horse, but because I have other things to do.

When I boarded it wasn't this way and sometimes I would talk with others while mounted after a ride. If my horse was hot, or needed walking or hosing then I would take care of that right away. Under normal circumstances it isn't harmful and may actually be beneficial as the horse doesn't expect to be put up right away.

Comment

I will walk for a few minutes and then hop off, loosen girth and walk around for a few more minutes. I don't think you should use your horse as a couch but I also don't think it's a terrible thing to teach patience either.
                          My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
                          http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Comment

as a pony clubber we got penalized for using horse as armchair.
                            now I often will sit on my horse and let him graze towards the end of a trail ride.
                            or the rare time I ride in the arena, I might ride out to some grass for the same reason.
                            A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

On the trail we often have to wait for others, or someone is training a horse on the trail, so we wait. It is good for the horse to understand that sometimes we stand. we don't have to be moving all the time, only when asked. We often talk or laugh during trail rides, but have stopped at the property edge, so the horse does not just rush home. We will stop and talk for a few before allowing the horse to go home.

Comment

I grew up with working horses, they were used for hours over the length of a day. That jumping off and loosening girth when done, just did not happen. We did not sit around on them much gabbing at the end of the day, but there was sitting on them to start our day. Talking, to know what we were planning to do. I do not think horses suffered for it! Riders got off and on a number of times during the day, probably tightened girths. Stopped, got off to eat lunch. Horse was not unsaddled, girth was probably already loosened a bit, which happens on long rides.

Same thing when I did long trail rides. Come into camp, remove bridle, haltered and tie horse up to the trailer for a while. Usually 30 minutes or so. Girth NOT loosened during tie up time. Time let the horse relax, skin under saddle got comfortable, (we called it equalizing) after rider got off. Horse had hay, water, while tied.

Doing long trail rides, horses who were unsaddled immediately after arriving in camp, OFTEN got sore backed in a couple days. Some actually welted up in the shape of saddle, across their backs. Unrideable. Those horses allowed to wait a while before unsaddling, did not develop those issues, not sore backed as the ride days added up. Happened with both English and western saddles, a variety of saddle pads used. I was "told" that quick ungirthing, saddle removal, causes the blood to rush into area under saddle. So horse gets "pressure sores" if not allowed to slowly permit "blood equalizing" by his body, over his back by leaving saddle in place for a while when long day was finished.

Does sound hoky, old-time information, very unscientific! But for me, seeing is believing. Sore backed horses are quite common on those long trail rides. Lots of other factors could certainly be the cause. But I practice the "wait to unsaddle after riding," have no sore back horse issues. This is after short rides, an hour or a full day of trail riding, horse doesn't care if they are saddled or not, with food in front of them. They are more patient, do what is asked of them, they don't get a vote. I do not put myself in their place about "feelings."

I HAVE dealt with some horses used for lessons who get really TICKED OFF should the ride time go past 50 minutes, or you get off and then back on to ride more! They have been trained that 50 minutes is all they work! Tack is "SUPPOSED" to be removed immediately after dismounting!! We had to discuss that issue, they quit "timing" the rides, and were much more enjoyable equines to ride! He is not overworked, not exhausted during ride times. Does not actually work that hard, compared to me cleaning stalls, grooming, weekly, to give him a nice life! Ha ha

I was very clear to the kids when showing or competing, that they dismount every hour, walk horse around a bit, to give his back a rest. They spend a lot more time in the saddle at a show than riding daily at home. Made sure horses had THICK saddle pads for extra cushion as kids were not always sitting straight or balanced. I know hanging around on horseback with friends, is a fun part of showing, so did not criticize. Horse was not sore backed the next day after a full day of classes and "visiting."

Glad OP did not make her snippy remarks to me! I would have given her an earful after an ambush like that! Horse was not being hurt, probably ruined all the nice day-end glow woman had collected from her ride. OP's ways and horse are hers to deal with, leave others alone with how they like to do things! I have had some folks come over to the trailer, trying to tell me how mean I was by not unsaddling immediately! We had some words about horse care, their lack of knowledge, before they stomped off. I talked to the Trail Master, another 'wait to unsaddle' believer, who then talked to them about good camp manners. I got to ride every day of the Ride, while their sore backed horses made them go home early.

Horses are adaptable, never read all the horse care books. There can be MANY right ways to do things, that are not how you do them.

Comment

Wow I thought this was in reference to sometimes throwing your right leg over the horses neck and sliding off facing away from the horse. When my sholder hurt like hell I did that all the time. I don't think we really ride our horses long and hard enough for it to make much difference if we sit on them and chat a few minutes. Unless it has been a hard, long ride. I was also taught to only loosen the girth two notches at most and let the horse relax before unsaddling.

Comment

I’m not terribly put out by it.
                                    I often use immediate dismount and bath as a reward for 2 and 3 year olds who are learning a work ethic and only have so much of an attention span. But I don’t think her horse is suffering because she isn’t immediately putting it up.
                                    However, I WAS taught to not just sit on your horse while he stands. If you’re on, you’re at least walking. Just sitting on a standing horse can make their back sore. However, if her horse doesn’t seem to mind, I wouldn’t worry to much.

Comment

goodhors - In all my years of riding in the mountains, some 20-30 years of it, - full days too, 10 or 11 hours were not uncommon, and untacking right afterwards, I have never and neither have any of the people I ride with ever had "pressure sores." Not saying it can't happen but I've never experienced it. Horse was good to go the next day. We did the same as you, on and off a few times during the ride, for lunch or just a break, loosened saddles, pulled bridles, etc. It does irk me a little when I see people using their horses as armchairs but it's their business, not mine. What does bother me is a couple I used to ride with who would leave their horses fully tacked up, no food, no water for hours after a full day in the saddle. They weren't planning on going again, they had some old timer tell them that all the horse's blood was in their legs after a long ride and if you took the saddle right off, you could kill them. I kid you not. These people believed it and they were not stupid, just didn't use common sense. I mean, they saw everyone else untack after a ride and none of those horses dropped dead.

Comment

It’s true that sitting on a horse while stationary for long periods can be more strenuous for their back than walking on a loose rein. If the option is there to walk, like if I am chatting after my ride with another mounted rider, we will keep walking or go for a hack. If I am chatting with someone on the ground, though, I don’t think there is really anything wrong with staying mounted for 10-15 minutes. I have an anxious horse and I used to park him in the middle of the arena after my rides sometimes, and just sit there (usually teaching off of him, or watching other horses school). It was a great way to instill patience and teach him to relax under saddle. Working horses are often “parked” for much longer periods with their riders mounted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X