Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Quarter-Life Crisis....Advice Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are other opportunities in the horse business other than barn manager.

Every product you see in a feed or tack store is connected to a customer service position to a sales job, to marketing, to product development.

I have an acquaintance who works for Smartpak in customer service, talks to horse people all day, works from home, loves her job and the company. I have no idea what kind of income she has with Smartpak. But for me, I'd rather have quality of life and less money, than a job I don't enjoy.

Comment

Original Poster

My degree is in Accounting. I worked for a farmer as his bookkeeper/payroll/etc for a couple years and that morphed into my current job of working for the USDA. It's not exactly Accounting-related specifically but it is in some other ways.

You all are 100% correct that I really just need to find a job that isn't totally being stuck in an office. I really just don't think it fits my personality. I wouldn't be opposed to getting more schooling or training under my belt, but I honestly don't know what I'd go back for?

I enjoy finance, payroll, book keeping, and budgeting and if I could find a job where I could do that remotely and take more breaks throughout the day that would be amazing. I enjoy jobs where I can use my organization skills. I enjoy jobs where I can mark things off my to-do list and actually feel like I'm accomplishing something. I think that's part of the reason I struggle so much is that if I get one thing done, there are a hundred other things that are waiting.

If I take a small pay cut we can afford that while still putting money in savings and still putting money toward retirement. I do have that Accounting degree, so not only do we have our retirement accounts through our jobs, but we also have personal ones through a financial advisor and even have a 529 account for our theoretical future child. I'm all about being as prepared as possible--which is why I've sat in offices over the last five years. But now that we're more settled with the house, property, and horses, I'm starting to think about money versus quality of life and trying to find a better balance.

Comment

Life is short - do what you would enjoy You're young enough to throw a little caution to the wind!

Comment

Isn't everyone grumpy on Sunday night? The reason I started riding (when I was 27) was because lessons were on Sunday, and it helped with the Sunday night blues.

I agree with Libby2563. Find a job you like, and make horses your passion. Work can remain secondary, but it lets you afford horses.
          Proud member of Appendix QH clique

Comment

I’m inadvertently going to offend someone with my generalizations, so I apologize in advance.

But there is a reason most barn managers are either youthful people at the start of their careers or disgruntled, crazy, bitter, old women. The job burns you out physically and mentally. Now, every now and then you have that unicorn person who was just born for the role and excels at it while feeling truly fulfilled. But most of the time, people quit in early adulthood or stick with it and lose their minds.

There is no harm in taking a break from your office job and giving it a go. I encourage it! But... I would go in thinking of it like a sabbatical, internship, or gap year- not a permanent career change. Keep your resume, skills, and references up-to-date, because there is a good chance you will need them again after a few years.

Adding a personal anecdote: I was the typical 20-something budding horse professional who burned out early on. Quite a few times I’ve gotten the bug to return to working in the horse world. Every time I go back to a “horse” job, I never last very long. I’m so much happier when horses are strictly my hobby.
            Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I would take advantage of management courses.
              You may not be interested now, but having those courses will open doors for you down the road.

Have you considered getting a CPA?
              I've heard the test is very intense and requires a lot of preparation and study to pass.

Maybe that will give you a goal and a sense of purpose which seems to be lacking in your current job.

Certified Guacophobe

Comment

Originally posted by B-burg Dressage View Post
                My degree is in Accounting. I worked for a farmer as his bookkeeper/payroll/etc for a couple years and that morphed into my current job of working for the USDA. It's not exactly Accounting-related specifically but it is in some other ways.

You all are 100% correct that I really just need to find a job that isn't totally being stuck in an office. I really just don't think it fits my personality. I wouldn't be opposed to getting more schooling or training under my belt, but I honestly don't know what I'd go back for?

I enjoy finance, payroll, book keeping, and budgeting and if I could find a job where I could do that remotely and take more breaks throughout the day that would be amazing. I enjoy jobs where I can use my organization skills. I enjoy jobs where I can mark things off my to-do list and actually feel like I'm accomplishing something. I think that's part of the reason I struggle so much is that if I get one thing done, there are a hundred other things that are waiting.
                There certainly are remote jobs in that field, both the option of doing payroll as a service to small businesses but also a lot of organizations are learning that remote work is okay now.

That said, I don't think from what you said that what you need is a remote position - you need it for a company that you believe in and are excited about what it does. Those exist too.

The ability to cross things off and feel like they are done is probably best found in a larger organization where there's more than one of you in that role and you can back each other up, as opposed to being the sole go-to who is constantly inundated.

Since pretty much every business needs people in that role, you should have a pretty wide set of possibilities to choose from.
                If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Ok so I didn't read the responses and I apologize if I am repeating what you have heard already.

I would apply. An application is no guarantee of an interview, but an interview is your opportunity to find out if you think this job is a good one or not.

I know when you're young in your career, you are likely to consider interviewing for a job an opportunity for "them" to decide if "you" are "good enough". But in reality, it's a two-way street, and you'll never know if this is a good move or not until you go through the process and hear about it, ask questions, and then weigh the options against your current position/career.

I interview a lot of people. If you're not in love with your career - now is the time to make a change. Change is not bad on a resume, unless it's all the time. We interview people all the time who have made career changes, and some that have done it more than once or went back to an earlier career. That doesn't tend to hold them back. What holds people back is changing jobs every year or so....but even still, at your age - it's not too late to make a few moves.

I say submit an application and see what happens. If you don't even hear back, you won't have to worry about making a decision. But if you don't apply, you'll never have the chance to decide.

Comment

I would also add that there are career frustrations specific to being in your 20s. Very rarely does someone in their 20s have much autonomy or decision making power in their job. Indeed if you are going for a high stakes career you might still be in professional school or grad school or articling or interning etc. If it's a job that's learn as you go with just a BA, this first decade is also somewhat probationary until you figure out how to move forward in the field. So it's really easy to feel that you are stuck in a cubicle with little chance to make things happen.

I don't know a lot about careers in accounting but I would say you personally need to find an employer that makes things happen (as opposed to just keep things ticking over) and then figure out how to be one of the people that have decision making power. That probably means eventually moving out of a government bureaucracy (great for stability, not so much for engagement) and adding some formal management qualifications. Perhaps your current job will pay for you to get some extra training, maybe one of the part time MBAs or similar?

It's worth having a research interview with one of your managers about career paths in your department, if you can phrase it as enthusiasm to move forward rather than discontent! Maybe there are sideways shifts you could make in the federal government bureaucracy that would be interesting.

Comment

The older I get, the less I care about my job as a part of my identity.

Personally, I have stopped chasing a job that will "fulfill" me. The best job I can have is one that pays my bills, leaves room for some wants, and intrudes on my "real" life as little as possible. I work a job now that I neither love nor hate, but it's low stress and pays well. I'm sure there are other jobs our there that I would enjoy more, but my life is not centered around my job. My job is just a tool to facilitate my needs and wants.

YMMV. There's no harm in putting in an application and finding out all the information before making a decision.

Comment

If your only in your current job for the money it gets old. I have always said you need to enjoy what you do. I would apply for the job and then see what it pays / benefits( if any) and if you are actually offered a job see if you can afford to do so and go from there.

Comment

The vacation is a huge factor too. I may not want to take as much if I don't dislike my job, but I'd still want some and a lot of barn jobs don't offer much when it comes to that. I'm coming up on three years with the current job and that will bump me up to 4 weeks of vacation per year.

No matter how much you think you will love being a barn manager, I promise there will be days it will
                          suck and you will not enjoy your job. Weather, horses will get sick/hurt, boarders will be a headache etc etc.

if you’re young and have the opportunity to re enter your career path in 3-5 years with similar salary to what you are leaving and it’s what you really want then go for it.
                          if it doesn’t work out, you’ll at least know that you tried and it wasn’t for you.
                          I don’t think health insurance is very commonly
                          offered..so something to consider. My job includes
                          PTO after 1 year of work.

Comment

It's hard to beat the federal government for vacation time, holidays, and flexible work schedules (at least where I worked). At different times I worked 8 hour days, 9 hour days with every other Friday off, or 10 hour days with four day weekends. Asking for a day off was never a problem. The matching TSP contribution and health insurance are also pretty nice. Have you looked for any opportunities for a lateral transfer to a different office or even agency and a job you might enjoy more?

Comment

A few things come to mind, all generalizations and ultimately my own personal opinion. There are jobs and there are careers. The former, we don't normally want to do but it pays the bills and let's us enjoy the things we actually like. We get financial stability, health insurance, vacation time and relatively normal lifestyle. The latter, careers, are things we would enjoy or even love to do, but usually don't pay enough to support our lifestyle if we are on our own. Careers tend in involve a significant other who makes the real money. If you are in a position to not have the need for financial stability and know you can easily re-enter your current job field if it doesn't work out, by all means go for it. You are still young, and life goes by so quickly. You don't want to look back in 30 years and wonder "what if"
                              "Do what you can't do"

Comment

Originally posted by Mango20 View Post
                                It's hard to beat the federal government for vacation time, holidays, and flexible work schedules (at least where I worked). At different times I worked 8 hour days, 9 hour days with every other Friday off, or 10 hour days with four day weekends. Asking for a day off was never a problem. The matching TSP contribution and health insurance are also pretty nice. Have you looked for any opportunities for a lateral transfer to a different office or even agency and a job you might enjoy more?
                                Yeah, since you are with USDA, it might be worth looking into getting education to qualify as an NRCS conservationist or similar. You get field time going out and helping farmers and ranchers with soil and water conservation practices. Something like that might be much more interesting, and you already have your service time to apply to jobs that are offered internally.

I've worked my way up in federal service and it's pretty excellent in terms of the flexibility, pay and benefits that I have now, which allow me to pursue horsey endeavors.

I really don't know how my BM does it, feeding every morning, managing horses, giving lessons, training, picking up slack if stall cleaners don't show up, and trying to keep the property up to snuff while making very little money, much of which would dry up if she is too sick or injured to train and give lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mango20 View Post
                                  THIS ^^^^

I kept telling young colleagues that when you are "old," there is no greater peace of mind than a fat bank account. I assume you are ~25. in 30 years you will be 55. If you save/invest $5,000/year invested at 6% for 30 years, you will have ~$400,000.....along with a Federal Pension.

Same as others on this thread, at one time I also asked the question, why am I doing what I'm doing when I have no free time? I am glad I stuck with my job, saved my money, and now can afford multiple horses, lessons, tack....etc.

I know someone who took over managing a large equestrian facility. She is approaching 65. Same as has been described above, she is burned out, has little time for her own riding, and has to pitch in when the help doesn't show.....and never has time off for herself.

If you don't want a "desk job," my suggestion is to look at the USDA positions that require use of your accounting experience like in "operations" or dealing with farmers where you actually have to visit farms or agricultural facilities....eg., jobs where you are not sitting in an office.

The USDA is a huge entity. Look around and see if there are jobs you would enjoy, then either apply or prepare yourself to go for the postion.

Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
                                  Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

I'm considering a major career/life change and I need to hear who this worked and didn't work for.

Pros:
                                    Working with horses and horse people
                                    Being active all day
                                    Being satisfied with my work
                                    7-3:30 versus 8-4:30 (amazing for fitting in winter riding)

Cons:
                                    Less money/benefits (not certain, but it's a good guess)
                                    Longer commute (10 minutes to 45 sucks majorly)
                                    Less stability/longevity (if I were to get injured or whatever)

So folks--what do you think?
                                    As another person who was once a pro and am now and amateur with a day job, I would say that your Pros and Cons are the ones typically seen through rosey colored glasses.

The Pros SOUND like they are fantastic - until you are actually on your feet all day everyday working around horses, some of which may bite or kick or bolt at turnout or run over you during turn-in or get aggressive in their stalls during feeding time - now that it's your JOB to work with them, you can't ask someone else to help you. Being "active" sounds fun until it's 12:30 and you haven't had time to eat anything other than 1/2 a granola bar and your coffee is now cold in the office. You have hours, but at the same time, horses are horses and you're really done when the work is done. Also, be prepared to have your cell phone number given to all boarders and clients and answer their texts and special requests at all hours.

The Cons don't sound THAT terrible - until you factor in that you probably won't get any vacation or sick days, and a 45 minute commute will be BRUTAL at the end of the day when you just want to be home already and when you have to get up in the dark day after day. Getting injured is a very real possibility, and shouldn't be brushed off with a "or whatever" sort of attitude (see above about bolting, kicking, biting horses). The other cons are the physical fatigue, the burn out, and the lack of career advancement.

Please don't get me wrong. I know that this lifestyle DOES and CAN work for some people. But for most of those people, the love of the horse is really what drives them to go and stay in that career path, not their sense of ennui at their day jobs. I would try to either find another desk job that is more in line with what you want to do on a daily basis, and/or focus on the things that the job can provide for you.

The horse industry is brutal. It is not a walk in the park. That said, this has only been my personal experience, and I do treasure the time I spent as a pro and all of the things I learned there. I tried it out right after college with no other day-job / job experience at all. If you can still come back to your current path after a few years off, I would say give it a go knowing all of the things folks have told you here on the forum.

Comment

I've been where you are, I remember sitting in a cube post undergrad and grad school thinking, this is my life for the next 40 years! In my experience its gotten better, I'm nearly 30 and almost 5 years into my current role and I've really worked to make it my own and I'm much more content than I was in my first role post grad.

1. I got OUT of the public sector. Yes, the benefits (retirement/pension) are hard to beat but my experience in several public sector rolls was that the bureaucracy takes a toll. Im going to generalize but my experience is that its not that flexible, not a lot of opportunities to work remote, much more structure and emphasis on 'putting in your time' vs. proving yourself through your work, etc. I'm work for a private consulting firm now and while it can be demanding but its insanely flexible and the projects you get to work on, what role you play is so much more about your performance than how long you've been around.

2. Set up my days to work for me. Again flexibility has been everything. Go the barn before work when the weather is warm, having the barn to yourself and getting a ride in before dragging yourself into the office is so great (though I am a morning person so this may not be great for everyone). Work from a coffee shop on days you aren't feeling the office. Leave at lunch to go ride and work from home the rest of the afternoon. I can't do this stuff everyday depending on meetings, etc. but setting up several days a week that im looking forward to helps me so much! I also rarely work past noon on a Friday if I can avoid it.

3. Set personal career goals outside of your office/work. Speak at a conference, go after your CPA or other certification, teach at a community college as an adjunct if you enjoy working with younger students. Get your masters and get your employer to pay for it!

OTHER IDEAS:
                                      1. My limited experience is that your degree gets you your first job, after that its really experience, so if you want to do something different you may not need to go back to school. Ask around, network internally and externally, message someone on Linkedin that you admire, grab coffee! I've had a lot of cool project opportunities by just networking and letting people know what excites me.

2. I havent dont this but FREELANCE - start taking on side book keeping gigs and see if you can make it a full time thing, that way your flexibility is endless!

There are days when I look at my fitbit and have moved less than 4k steps because I've been strapped to my computer all day and long to have been working outside. BUT I know myself and I'm not one to easily turn off work. If I was responsible for a barn full of horses that is where my mind would be all the time. I love that in my current role I can more easily shut off those worries when I close my laptop because there are no lives on the line and whatever it is, it can most definitely wait!

Comment

Theres no set definition for “Barn manager” and the best barns don't have to run ads looking for one. And keep in mind many barns are not run like regular businesses with clear expectations and defined responsibilities. Often BM is a glorified groom and mucker. Be clear on that before seeing this or any other BM position as a clear cut opportunity, wont even go into benefits and working conditions.

Somebody upthread mentioned free lancing? Thats a very good idea to chew on. You could come in for a few hours on a part time basis couple of times a month or weekly just for bookkeeping. Have a friend who started doing that, slowly picked up a few more barns via word of mouth over the next few years. Her “day job” downsized her out but she just increased her free lance business. Ended up full time running the office of a very nice AA barn as “Office Manager’, regular benefits too. Had a Barn Manager for the hands on barn management. She worked in the barn with a chair and climate control, was around the horses, had a window to the arena, chatted with the clients even was paid ti go to Florida several times during that circuit. Never touched a muck tub.

Not a bad idea to consider specifically office work in barns, might work up a little business of your own combining your education and skills with wanting a barn environment. Doesnt have to be either/or, figure out how to do both. It will take some time but its a good way to go.
                                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by tbchick84 View Post
                                          A few things come to mind, all generalizations and ultimately my own personal opinion. There are jobs and there are careers. The former, we don't normally want to do but it pays the bills and let's us enjoy the things we actually like. We get financial stability, health insurance, vacation time and relatively normal lifestyle. The latter, careers, are things we would enjoy or even love to do, but usually don't pay enough to support our lifestyle if we are on our own. Careers tend in involve a significant other who makes the real money. If you are in a position to not have the need for financial stability and know you can easily re-enter your current job field if it doesn't work out, by all means go for it. You are still young, and life goes by so quickly. You don't want to look back in 30 years and wonder "what if"
                                          An observation I would make is that it is completely possible to have a career that is enjoyable and fulfilling AND pays well/comes with good benefits...

But you don't typically walk into those roles as an early career professional.

The reality is that you have to BUILD those careers. You put the time in, you get the experience, you build a network and over time, you get the better assignments and the more interesting roles. It takes time, which is hard to appreciate in the early days of a career when you are slogging it out. But that is the nature of work.
                                          We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Working...
                                          X