Sport Horse Spotlight

Carinjo Jumping 1

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_2260

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

So....I did a thing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So....I did a thing...

Well, last week I came across a post on FB about several feral yearlings that were going to go to slaughter unless someone bought them and there were only 2 days to buy one. Well....I sort of jumped on it and bought myself a feral filly xD

This lovely little lady arrived last night and I'm super excited to start working with her. She's a sooty buckskin and doesn't have any white on her at all other than a tiny patch of white in her mane. Only human contact she's had up to this point is when she got branded and her time being hauled the 8+ hours to me.

But today was my first full day with her so I worked with her a bit in the morning and evening. In the morning, I got her to realize I wanted her to face me and got her to follow me for a few steps as well as to come towards me a bit using approach and retreat. I was able to stand about a foot away from her by the end of the morning session.
    In the evening, I was able to actually touch her. It was only a light tough on her face, but it still counts lol. We did have one moment though, where she decided that she wanted to test things and (keep in mind I wasn't putting pressure on her at this point, I was giving her a break) she decided to pin her ears a little and turn her butt to me and when I stepped forward to correct her, she tried to nip me so I had to get after a bit for that.

I basically just chased her off a bit but once she settled down (which was nearly right away) and faced me again, I stopped and took the pressure away. In the end, I was able to stand next to her again and have her falling asleep next to me. It was cute to see her relax with her leg cocked, bottom lip drooping and her eyes all droopy as well.

But ya, I'm super excited about having this filly and just had to share how our first day went with someone so I figured I'd post it here.

I don't have a name picked out for her yet. Kinda thinking about Cinder but I'd love to hear what your guys suggestions are as well if you feel like sharing

Click image for larger version

Name:	EYg5NP-UYAEaKkX?format=jpg&name=360x360.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	10656436
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EYkZeiBVAAALiQF?format=jpg&name=360x360.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	10656437

She’s adorable. Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats!! She's very pretty!

Comment

Seems to move well:, might be a lucky horse all round.
        "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

What a score!! Keep us updated.

Comment

Gorgeous! And well done to you both! I hope that you'll update now and again. I had to have a quiet laugh at the story of her pinning and attempting a nip.... because I just adore opinionated mares/fillies! You'll be reading her like a book soon

Comment

How about Sooty for a name?

I do the same thing when teaching faceup. But a bit different. When you touch you let them touch your hand with their muzzle then retreat and start again.
              It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Congrats! Sounds like you made a lot of progress in the short time you’ve had her. Please post updates!

Comment

You are moving too FAST with this training. She just got off the truck yesterday! Her world has been turned upside down. Give her some TIME to adjust to EVERYTHING new in her life, and relax. Don't attempt to "train" her at all, just arrive daily, provide the feed, hang around at a safe distance, talk to her, and be her friend from a distance for a while. Give her time to adjust before you start establishing a relationship with her. She will be lonely, let it be her idea that perhaps hanging out with you may be something she wants to do. Offer yourself up as a "friend". Don't "force" yourself onto her, let her come to you as she begins to recognize you as someone familiar. And yes, she will attempt to figure out where she is in the social order with you, see if she can or should push you around. That's normal, and expected. You have to keep yourself safe at this early point in your relationship with her, use something simple to give you shelter from any mistakes she makes- tries to nip at you, or kick at you- holding a manure fork using the wooden handle vertical between the two of you can do this for you. Remember, she has fear of you, and is only trying to defend herself from you at this early stage. You have to earn the position in her opinion that you are someone/something she should look up to, as a benevolent superior being to her, someone she would like to be with, and do as you say. Earn this position over time by understanding her situation , equine communication, and herd dynamics. Hitting her, for any reason, would be your last resort, something you do NOT want to do.

Your first goal is to touch her, tickle her, groom her. She may or may not like or appreciate this, but most likely, she will, because this is something that horses do, and she understands already. Take advantage of this. Be careful to not be too authoritarian in her life, she will make mistakes, but that's OK, be slow to "discipline" her for mistakes she makes because she may not understand what a human wants and expects, and one does not want to damage the trust she extends just because she has made a mistake. Gain her trust and respect by clear and concise communication with her, and setting attainable goals, in order. Good luck. Everyone has their first one.
                  www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

I'm glad you are happy with your filly. She looks sweet and it's lovely you got her out of a tight spot. What about the name Pearl? I'll bet she'll be shiny like one soon enough. There are chocolate pearls with a shiny dark hue.

Out of curiosity, how do those auction rescues work? I've heard some are just dealers trying to make a buck and others that are people who know what animals are going up for auction (how do they know?). How do you know you aren't just giving them money to go get more free/cheap horses to threaten to sell to auction if not "rescued"?

There was a big issue in Florida a few years ago when a rescue that snatched some horses up from a Texas auction. Then, they sneaked them into Florida. Yeah, they had Strangles. Great, huh?

None of this is your filly's fault and it's good you got her before she ended up at slaughter. Is she isolated, just in case?

Comment

no quarantine ???? ​​​​​​​!!!
                      Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

no quarantine ??? !
                        Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Did anyone rescue the others? They are just babies! That is heartbreaking to think they never had a chance!

Comment

I like the name Cinder. Fits her. She's cute.
                            My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

She is lovely and you are lovely for giving her a chance. I adopted two feral TBs form a starvation rescue about ten years back and last year adopted two feral mustangs, so Ive been in your shoes. It is so amazing to see them begin to trust you.

I would take things very slow and be careful not to rush her-if you rush her, she can act out defensively and hurt you or you can damage the relationship and create trauma that will surface later. Every day is baby steps.

Ive found positive reinforcement to work exceptionally well with the feral mustangs. The reward actually turns on the dopamine reward pathway which turns off the fear response pathway, so it literally helps "open their mind" and put them in a state of learning.

It starts out as simple as putting a bowl on the ground. Every time she looks at you cluck your tongue and drop in some alfalfa pellets-maybe a tablespoon. After about ten tries she will figure this out. Then begin to reward for her taking a step towards you.

The next easy thing to teach is "touch" which means she touches her nose to your hand. If she is brave, you can reward her from your hand. If she is scared, that may take longer and the bowl will still be needed. Once they figure out you are attempting to communicate with them and if they comply they get a treat, it becomes RIDICULOUSLY easy to teach them things.

Mustang Maddy is a great resource: https://www.mustangmaddy.com/

Mustang camp is also a great site: https://www.mustangcamp.org/how-to-t...horse-or-burro

You can always phase out the positive reinforcement training later, but it makes the gentling phase go so much faster.

Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for you comments everyone And I'll try to post some updates since several of you seem to want that.

Willesdon
                                That's actually a comment I got from the people who hauled for me as well as from the rescue who held her for me. They also figure she'll probably do well as a jumper since she did jump some square bales while at the rescue lol.

SuzieQNutter
                                I did do that a few times too so she did actually reach out to me as well, not just me attempting to touch her. And I'll keep that name in mind as well, thanks.

NancyM
                                I did want to take a bit more time, however the people to take care of the stable yard where she's currently at plan to clean out the pen in literal days. They weren't able to do it the few days where it empty before the filly was brought in, so I've just been trying to get some positive work done in the hopes that I'll be able to get her semi halter broke in order to lead her out to a temporary pen instead of having one of them go in and rope her to move her in order to clean the pen.

Also, I just made my post shorter but I did spend a good chunk of time just hanging out at the opposite end of the paddock or sitting on the ground and doing stuff that involved no pressure on her and for her to just get used to my presence, especially in the morning. I also only hung out with her in that way for about 2 hours in the morning before leaving and not going back till late in the evening and was there only an hour. And I made sure I didn't rush her and the thing is, she was decently relaxed during it as she showed multiple signs of relaxation such as bottom lip drooping, eyes half closed, leg cocked, lowering her head. Not going to say I was perfect as I'm sure I did make a mistake or two while with her, but like I said, I'm trying to have the first contact be as positive as possible before she has to be moved for a moment since there are certain things I have no control over.

But I do appreciate some of the tips you mentioned and I'll definitely keep them in mind as I move forward

Moonlitoaks
                                Well, first off, it wasn't an auction. I also live in Canada. The rescue I went through I've been following for quite some time and I know a lady who works with them from time to time. So I've been able to see and hear others personal experiences with the rescue to know that they're legit.

Also, they weren't threatening anything with sending them off if not adopted. It was actually the people who run the Ranch that oversee the feral herd that said if these yearlings don't find a home, then they go to slaughter. The rescue got wind of this, but due to the situation with the virus and other horses they've taken in, they had no room for these yearlings. So they instead they spread the word about the yearlings and once people gave the money for the yearling they wanted to the rescue, the rescue then worked with the Ranch to arrange for that specific yearling to go to the rescue for 2 weeks until the person who adopted the yearling could haul them home.
                                Also that's really too bad about what happened over there in Florida.

Also, there was a short quarantine. They were on their own for about a week or two before they went to the rescue, then at the rescue my filly was there for about a week to a week and a half so that's nearly the 4 week mark, and she's now with me in a pen that has electric fencing around it which deters contact with the horse next to her. But the mare next to her is also vaccinated so there should be very minimal risk of anything going on there.

Zu Zu
                                There was a bit of a quarantine. If you read the last paragraph of my response right above this, you'll see it explained it a bit of how it went.

TKR
                                All the others got rescued There is only one yearling left that the buyer backed out at the last minute so the colt is at the rescue but he'll now either stay at the rescue for a bit or he'll hopefully get adopted fairly soon.

stock
                                I did try to bring her a bucket of some feed to help her out since she does need to gain weight and all that, but despite checking it out several times, she wasn't interested. Instead, she just played with the handle of the bucket lol.
                                But thanks for the tips and resources, I'll definitely take a look at those

​​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks for explaining. There are lots of groups on Facebook that rescue and some are a little strange. Regardless, the filly was in trouble and got a home, so good for you both!

Comment

My first thought was Chim Chim Cheree from Mary Poppins, so maybe Sweep for a name?
                                    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

My first thought was Chim Chim Cheree from Mary Poppins, so maybe Sweep for a name?
                                      "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

Working...
                                      X