Sport Horse Spotlight

Friend Or FoeBrantGammaPhotos.WC7B1578

Real Estate Spotlight

3905-gem-twist-court-wellington-florida_02

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

How does everyone feel about the Get back on or Hospital mentality?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does everyone feel about the Get back on or Hospital mentality?

Hey everyone,
    I've been thinking about the Back on or hospital mentality that a lot of trainers seem to have.

I think this mentality is both good and bad. Sometimes it is a good thing, in the sense of a fall when there are no injuries, and maybe a bit of nerves. But, this mentality can also lead an injured rider to get back on when they most likely shouldn't.

Growing up riding with trainers who couldn't make the appropriate call on when to use this mentality has created lasting damage to my body. You grow up hearing these things, so you end up thinking you have to push through the pain, you don't want to be a quitter, don't want to waste lesson time, or disappoint your trainer. Hospitals might be different in other areas, but for my area a trip to the hospital will be at least 6 hours. So do you really want to waste that much time out of everyone's day when maybe its not that bad.

Do any of you have this mentality? Do you use it all the time, or just in the appropriate situations? If you are a parent, how do you feel when a trainer tells this to your child?

If you are HURT, go to the hosp. If not, then get back on so the horse does not learn that getting you off is the easy way out. For your own mental health, get back on, but take it easy. ride slower. TELL your trainer you are not able to do much after the fall. that you need to regroup. If your trainer doesn't like that, maybe they are not the trainer for you.

Comment

It’s not always a black and white decision IMO. Not everyone thinks they need to go to the hospital when really they should. I can think of one fall that in hindsight I should have been checked out (and I didn’t - so stupid). But I was in no shape to get back on and fix the problem. Luckily I had a trainer who got on and fixed the problem. If I had got back on it would have been way worse. I was shook up and was in no shape to fix the issue. Did it mentally screw me up? It sure did! But two steps back made no difference in the long run.

I worry when coaches push the “hospital or on”. I think it’s short sighted.

Comment

I think it's cavalier and irresponsible.

unless the person saying it has x-ray/MRI/cat scan eyes, but even then....
        Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

My first trainer was not like this, she encouraged you to get on if you could and just walk your horse but if you couldn't there was no pushing you to. My father on the other hand was very much ER or saddle you pick. I had a fall that I did have to go to hospital for because I was kicked in the chest while I was on my pony by another horse, really freak accident and all I could think of is sh*t my dad will not be happy about this when he hears and I couldn't stop apologizing to my trainer for making so much issue for her. I was around 12 after that incident I've always in the back of my mind think just get back up get on and don't waste everyones time. I think also that sometimes people run to hospital for absolutely anything, and after a while people dont take them seriously. Have a friend and constantly he has to run to er, ( he goes at least 2 times a month and not always because he falls off) and everyone always makes a joke about it saying ah horse knocked the jump do you need to go er and I think should anything really serious happen few if any would take it seriously. There is also the other type who will only go if they are unconscious and someone else calls the ambulance also have one of those friends.

Comment

Back in the day that was almost every trainer's attitude, because many of them were forged by military men with a "git 'er done!" no-nonsense way.
            This is not now, and never was, a sport in which competence is easily obtained by the motivationally weak.

Most of us are capable of minimal self-triage: If you did not hit your head or black out and remember what happened, you're unlikely to be concussed. If you can stand and bear weight without stop-you-in-your-tracks pain, you're unlikely to have fractures or major soft tissue damage.

Scared, wind knocked out of you, OMG what was THAT?! etc. are all reasons you MUST get back on that horse, and right now, because if you don't the odds go way up you'll lose your nerve and have problems going forward.

Only YOU know if you think you're truly damaged, or just roughed up a litle. Do what YOU think feels right.

Personally, I long for the days when grit was the expected norm . . .

Comment

Last time I cowgirled up so to speak, I found out I had a cracked rib three days later. Reporting to the hospital immediately post fall would have saved me a lot of physical anguish and resulting anxiety.

Comment

I’m a get back on kind of person. There were times that I didn’t, but that was because I was knocked out or broke some bones. My trainer let me do what I wanted, but after she found out that I got back on with broken bones, she was dismayed. My subsequent trainer would not allow me back on after hearing that story. Good thing, because my rib was broken in the fall I had with her. I rarely become unseated, but when I do, it’s bad. One refusal, and two bucking sprees. Now, if I feel one of my horses having a bad day, which is extremely rare, I hop off and do ground work.

But yeah, I used to be a do it or die type of rider. I’ve matured now and try to give my horse and myself more credit and empathy.
                Banter whenever you want to banter....canter whenever you want to canter.

Comment

I tend not to go to the hospital mainly because it is so expensive even with my insurance! Dollar signs flow through my head. I sometimes end up having to deal with my cheapness a few days later, but even with a few broken bones, I have been lucky.
                  My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

Originally posted by Crashing Boar View Post
                    Back in the day that was almost every trainer's attitude, because many of them were forged by military men with a "git 'er done!" no-nonsense way.
                    This is not now, and never was, a sport in which competence is easily obtained by the motivationally weak.

Most of us are capable of minimal self-triage: If you did not hit your head or black out and remember what happened, you're unlikely to be concussed. If you can stand and bear weight without stop-you-in-your-tracks pain, you're unlikely to have fractures or major soft tissue damage.

Scared, wind knocked out of you, OMG what was THAT?! etc. are all reasons you MUST get back on that horse, and right now, because if you don't the odds go way up you'll lose your nerve and have problems going forward.

Only YOU know if you think you're truly damaged, or just roughed up a litle. Do what YOU think feels right.

Personally, I long for the days when grit was the expected norm . . .
                    A couple of years ago my wife got dumped when her 20 year old mare spooked at some activities outside the arena (the mare was generally quite steady under saddle, was gun and saber broke, had ridden in parades, etc.). She's a retired M.D. and KNEW she had broken one, maybe two ribs. She did NOT get back on.

Not long afterwards I was working my younger gelding who was sometimes not as coordinated as he might have been. He lost control of his feet while cantering a 20M circle and went to his knees. I went down the left side of the neck into the dirt while he rolled to right. We both got up and wondered "WHISKEY, TANGO, FOXTROT???" My wife saw the whole thing and when I put the question to her she said, "He just lost his balance. You were straight and square and there were no obstacles. It was just a bad step and loss of balance." He had some road burn and I was sore. I walked him back to the mounting block after a check out and he was fine. We did two, maybe 10 yard straight canters and I said, "High point achieved, time to quit!" And we did. It never happened again.

If you're not Superman then don't act like. But Casper Milktoast never made it the equestrian arts. You have to use the "J" word (not "Jesus," but rather "judgement").

G.
                    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

Originally posted by Anna.m View Post
                      Hey everyone,
                      I've been thinking about the Back on or hospital mentality that a lot of trainers seem to have.

I think this mentality is both good and bad. Sometimes it is a good thing, in the sense of a fall when there are no injuries, and maybe a bit of nerves. But, this mentality can also lead an injured rider to get back on when they most likely shouldn't.

Growing up riding with trainers who couldn't make the appropriate call on when to use this mentality has created lasting damage to my body. You grow up hearing these things, so you end up thinking you have to push through the pain, you don't want to be a quitter, don't want to waste lesson time, or disappoint your trainer. Hospitals might be different in other areas, but for my area a trip to the hospital will be at least 6 hours. So do you really want to waste that much time out of everyone's day when maybe its not that bad.

Do any of you have this mentality? Do you use it all the time, or just in the appropriate situations? If you are a parent, how do you feel when a trainer tells this to your child?

Current research on concussions suggests this is a very bad attitude.

Comment

I teach older adults, that require basic soundness for work. I have had a few get serious anxiety after falling off as they thought I would shame them into remounting as that has been their previous experience.

I trust their judgement regarding getting back on or not....although there are times where they want to get back on, but I encourage them to wait until the initial shock/anxiety wears off so we can better assess damage.

There are ways to address the anxiety angle of falling off without getting back on.

There are many serious injuries that aren't immediately obvious, such as a slow bleed concussion and a fracture without displacement.
                        Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

With my self, i definitely have that attitude - i came off my mare, fractured a vertebrae , got back on and schooled her (in 2 point as i couldn't actually sit). All knowing something was very wrong, and got my OH to take me to emergency as soon as I'd finished. I have also gotten back on straight away after knocking myself out being thrown off. I know it's not the right thing to do, but for me, it's the lesser of two evils. I know with myself, that if i don't get back on straight away, i will over think the heck out of it and have much more trouble overcoming the fear later. I have anxiety and fear is something i have to continually battle with my riding. If i'm physically able to, i need to get back on straight away. Not a five minute breather, straight away.

I casually instruct a couple of kids, parents always present at lessons. If kiddo comes off, it's up to the parent as to whether they go to the hospital or not. I can advise if kiddo hit their head, or landed on wrists, but it's ultimately their parents call.

Comment

I think the "hospital or back on" mentality is irresponsible and toxic in general.

There are plenty of injuries that don't require a hospital visit, but make getting back on the horse and riding extremely painful and/or unsafe.
                            The majority of rider falls don't have ish to do with the horse "trying to get you off," therefore it's absurd to think that not getting back on is going to make that many horses flip the script like "Ooooh that got me out of work, let's do that again." There's a lot of really honest horses out there that this way of thinking gives zero credit too.
                            If you're riding under a trainer and are not comfortable getting back on immediately after a fall, why wouldn't you expect your trainer to do so? Why have a trainer, otherwise?
                            There are plenty of people that need to get back on right away to prove something to themselves and not let their anxiety increase. There's just as many people who need time to process and mentally prepare before getting back on. People should be allowed to deal with stressful situations how they need to, not how someone else thinks they should.

Comment

Antiquated and dangerous.
                              Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

And to point out, we all know by now, that one does not have to HIT their head on the ground to sustain injuries to the brain; the simple act of falling off and having your brain rattle around, can be enough for concussion.

Comment

Toxic, dangerous, irresponsible, and arguably representative of a training culture that would rather ape at "military values" than make rational and intelligent decisions.

Two years ago I got hit by a car while cycling. While hopped up on adrenaline I decided the best course of action was to get back on and ride home instead of calling literally anyone for help. Spoiler alert: that was the wrong decision.

Your body can feed you a lot of false information in the few minutes after an accident. Makes for a lot of grey area between "Hey that kinda hurt" and being airlifted to the hospital.

Comment

"Hospital or on" is a little extreme but I do operate under the idea that if you aren't hurt you should get back on. If there's any hint at a head/neck/back injury you should NOT get back on. Any other type of injury can go either way. I'm all for having some grit, you need it in this sport. I'm also all for not injuring yourself further.

There's no reason anyone needs to make a decision about horse or hospital two minutes after they fell off. If you have a nondisplaced fracture (especially somewhere non-weight bearing) you're not going to know if it warrants a trip to the ER until you've given it a few hours. I don't want you riding with a broken hand but it also really doesn't warrant an ambulance ride. It's perfectly reasonable to decide to put your horse away and go home in this instance.

Comment

I have never operated under the "get on or go to the hospital" mentality. I think it is ridiculous. We aren't in battle, we don't NEED to get on but you still have people praise Olympic level athletes for getting back on after a fall. Right here on this board, you have it. It's ridiculous, not even a gold medal is worth your safety or your horse's safety.

I am no shrinking violet and my trainer has permanent injuries from the "on or to the hospital" mentality (from her junior days, which are far behind both of us). I do believe it is generally better to get right back on or the fear may set in but that is not an absolute and each individual is different. I have gone to the hospital twice and am still riding over one decade after the last hospital visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoofbeat_Heartbeat View Post
                                        And to point out, we all know by now, that one does not have to HIT their head on the ground to sustain injuries to the brain; the simple act of falling off and having your brain rattle around, can be enough for concussion.
                                        Well, most of us do.
                                        Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Working...
                                        X