Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

BB2

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Selfish, Stupid or Reasonable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selfish, Stupid or Reasonable?

Hi all, I've been following a lot of the rants/banter and threads regarding COVID-19 and its effect on the equestrian community and I just wanted to know if there was anyone in similar shoes.

As we all know, many equestrian facilities, including the one where I keep my own young horse, have been closed to the public and will remain closed for the unforeseeable future (hopefully soon, but who knows). This has left me in a bit of a dispute and I'm unsure of what my path forward should be.

My horse is coming 3 in April, and prior to this disaster, we were planning on re-starting her under saddle (previous broke in mid-October). With the current regulations and recommendations set out, it doesn't seem likely that we will be back at the barn by beginning of next month. That being said, my youngster will not be getting started. This would be okay, temporarily. I suppose I'm wanting to prepare for the worst case scenario in which we won't be back until May, or later.

Would it be so selfish of me to ask my trainer (who keep in mind, is busy exercising other clients horses for them for free as they cannot be there) to resume her training? I would be offering pay as she is young and very green. My other concern was because she is young, green and often "sassy", would this be a stupid/selfish idea as my trainer would then be risking her own physical health?

I noticed on a few other threads that some owners were speaking about putting their youngsters in training at this time and I just wanted some extra input if this is a good idea, selfish, or plain stupid (as to risk my trainers health). Another thought I had would just to be do some ground work/lunging with her, although this too can be dangerous. I have not yet asked for my trainer's input on this matter, as I'm a little worried about backlash.

I really don't want my young horse to sit much longer than planned but I also don't want to put anyone at risk of injury for my own selfish reasons. Advice is appreciated, thank you!

Not sure what your trainer's background is but if they work with youngsters, I would most certainly ask if they can work with yours until things get back in gear. I would imagine they would appreciate the income at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by kwpn_01 View Post

Would it be so selfish of me to ask my trainer (who keep in mind, is busy exercising other clients horses for them for free as they cannot be there) to resume her training? I would be offering pay as she is young and very green. My other concern was because she is young, green and often "sassy", would this be a stupid/selfish idea as my trainer would then be risking her own physical health?
      Your trainer is both an adult and a professional so as long as it is framed as a question not a demand, she has the ability to make an informed decision.

A coming three year old certainly will not be hurt by having a few extra months off as she is still younger than most horses being started. A good compromise could be discussing partial training with long lining so she is getting some structured work without the weight and risk of a rider.

Comment

Originally posted by kwpn_01 View Post
        My horse is coming 3 in April, and prior to this disaster, we were planning on re-starting her under saddle (previous broke in mid-October).
        IMO since your horse is young and has already had 5 months since backing, I can't imagine another month or two of no work will do her any harm. She's young, let her hang out and let your trainer focus on others who need the work more. Hopefully these few months will be just a blip in your horse's long and successful riding career!
        Building and Managing the Small Horse Farm: http://thesmallhorsefarm.blogspot.com

Comment

you should pay for any services rendered. how would you like if your employer wanted you to work but was not intending to pay you? Answer is pretty clear now, right?

If your personal income is tight, throw horse in a field, a youngster would perhaps appreciate time to be a horse for a month or two.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mika0116 View Post
            you should pay for any services rendered. how would you like if your employer wanted you to work but was not intending to pay you? Answer is pretty clear now, right?

If your personal income is tight, throw horse in a field, a youngster would perhaps appreciate time to be a horse for a month or two.
            There must be some sort of misunderstanding, as of course I'd pay for any services rendered. Point being, she is currently schooling others' horses for free due to the closure of the stable and hence I wouldn't expect the same treatment as my horse requires a little bit more thought process and awareness to work with.

Comment

I think it depends a bit on where you live, but I think you might as well just ask for her thoughts on it. Everyone and every situation is different.

Comment

I'm not sure what's selfish here. Offer the trainer the regular rate of pay and if trainer wants to take on the job they will. This will really help the trainer who has lost clients under lockdown. If trainer doesn't want to they will turn you down.

Comment

Oh yes, got you. I would err on paying standard rate. I always pay for any service. If my trainer or groom untacks my horse if I am running late to work. I throw them 20 bucks. If your trainer feels like the service provided is worth more than standard, I am sure they will inform you.

You could also throw in a roll of TP and maybe some Clorox wipes to sweeten the deal

Comment

There is nothing untoward about employing a trainer to break a horse. If you are offering to pay the trainer to be a trainer, I'd expect your horse to take priority over the unpaid rides. That's not unreasonable; it's how life usually works.

The only thing stupid or unreasonable in the original post is the trainer riding boarders' horses without expecting to be paid. If the trainer is good with not being paid, whatever...
                    Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

A good colt starting trainer is invaluable.
                      That good early start in professional hands is worth pursuing.
                      If your trainer can do it, why not?

For an experienced professional, the risk of riding a green horse is minimal, especially one already started and worked with.
                      Not like she is a bronc that needs extra care and risk to train.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by red mares View Post
                        There is nothing untoward about employing a trainer to break a horse. If you are offering to pay the trainer to be a trainer, I'd expect your horse to take priority over the unpaid rides. That's not unreasonable; it's how life usually works.

The only thing stupid or unreasonable in the original post is the trainer riding boarders' horses without expecting to be paid. If the trainer is good with not being paid, whatever...
                        I would hope she would take priority over the unpaid rides, too. I guess she took the free rides upon herself since we aren't allowed on the property and many boarders' jobs have been affected by the closures, economy, etc. I am lucky enough to be in a position that my employment has been maintained throughout this and paying a little extra for training (especially since there's no shows ) shouldn't be an issue and I'm grateful for that.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to run it by her, and worst case if they don't have the means to do it, an extra few months off wouldn't be the end of the world for her!

Comment

If it were my horse, I'd just put off her training for another month or two, or however long it takes.

However, I don't think it would hurt to ask the trainer what she wants to do. Make it clear you're okay with it if she does not want to take on your horse. She might appreciate the opportunity to get some extra income, or she might not want to take the risk, or put any more demands on her time.

Comment

I wouldn't stress about getting started right now - I get what you're staying, you don't want to risk the safety of your trainer, god forbid she gets lawn darted by a 3 yo and needs to go to the hospital. Maybe leave it up to the trainer, who knows, maybe she'd want to do ground work for a bit to make sure she's working with a good citizen, then make the call whether to back her or wait.

Comment

I'm getting the impression that you are concerned about a) your trainer potentially getting hurt which would b) possibly affect the horses' care and c) increase the burden on an already stressed medical system.

I have started a few young horses and I agree that waiting another month or three is unlikely to cause any problem. I also would personally prefer to go back to work at a time when I could expect to get into a routine/program for several months prior to another extended break.

I also think that ground work -. long lining, in hand "hacks", poles, longeing basics - 2-3 times a week would be a great base to getting into a work routine prior to resuming mounted work. As long as new things keep getting introduced.

​​​​​​I think it's important to talk to your trainer about your concerns and see what she is comfortable offering. She will likely be happy to have the extra income, but that might also mean she will say yes even if she's not entirely comfortable with the risk.

Comment

My question: do they have turnout fields? I wouldn’t bother is turnout could support all day to. I’m going to guess they don’t.

Comment

i don't see what is selfish about having the conversation with your trainer. i had to close my barn, but had a couple of owners ask that their horses stay in a program, even if they cant be here. and had the check in hand when they asked. it was a logical, reasonable request, and i had zero problem saying yes. i bet your trainer will have no issue in doing *something* with your youngster.
                                  Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                                  www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                                    I'm not sure what's selfish here. Offer the trainer the regular rate of pay and if trainer wants to take on the job they will. This will really help the trainer who has lost clients under lockdown. If trainer doesn't want to they will turn you down.
                                    That's my thought. If the trainer's losing income from lessons, and she's comfortable with training rides, and you'd like your horse started again, and you're offering to pay, it sounds like a win-win all round to me. It's not selfish to offer someone paying work!
                                    Author Page
                                    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

As everyone else stated I also think sitting around longer would do not harm, but if you feel inclined to have her in training your trainer can decide what she's comfortable with and may appreciate the income.

I do think it's nuts that your trainer is riding all those horses for free. Is there no turnout? I'd say if people are worried about their horse losing condition they should pay for the rides. If there's no turnout or walker than I guess it's more of a welfare issue and she feels guilty?

Comment

You might really be helping the trainer if you add to her income. If you're concerned (and I understand that you might be) about the possibility of her injuring herself while training for you, you could stipulate that you'd like at least half (or whatever) of the sessions to focus on ground-work and lunging, which are probably lower-risk. Then compensate her at the same rate as you would for training under saddle.

Then you might also commit to taking some lessons with the trainer yourself once that becomes possible again. Knowing that she has a future income stream might allay at least some of her economic anxiety.
                                        "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Working...
                                        X