Sport Horse Spotlight

DSC_0923BestRegards2016

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horsey C/C Venting - unload the stuff you are hating about how this affects your horse life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for making this thread! It is nice to see I'm not the only one.

The barn where I board my 2 horses gave notice of closure at 8pm last Wednesday. No one is allowed out there, not even boarders. You cant even visit your horses in pasture (even if you can get there without going into the barn)

Everyone in our barn chat is so supportive of the closure and it makes me feel like an A-- hole because im upset by it. I understand that the barn owner is worried because they are an OE accredited facility and don't want to be fined, and don't want to get in trouble, and is trying to protect her and her family. But jeez. I am the type that my horses are my family. I want to see them everyday. When I don't see them I can just picture them at the end of the day thinking, "oh, I guess she's not coming out today" and it just breaks my heart.

I wish I had been given one more day to see them, to tell them what is going on, to say goodbye.

Comment

Oh, AnnaM, that is heartbreaking!

My tale is that I had arranged/paid for my DD to travel to Europe to live and train for several weeks and do a "local" competition and a CVI (oversubscribed, so USEF was picking up scores and determining which limited number of vaulters would be able to compete) ... then C/C attacked and events are cancelled, borders closed, flights cancelled, I'm not sure in which order. I'm soooo glad that DD hadn't traveled away yet, from the struggles I've seen with friends trying to get kids back from overseas study abroad or peace corps.

So ... practice and training is still going on with very scaled back numbers. Personally, I am still trail riding a bit at a private barn helping my friend keep her string exercised as this area isn't on full lockdown and if it happens ... THEN the horses can go to very limited (turnout in arenas) exercise.

Meanwhile, we have a plane ticket that is now a credit for future travel with Lufthansa and I will *never* book again with kiwi.com. They are still sending me "tips for things to do on your trip" email ... haven't reached out that the flight was cancelled or anything.

Oh, kudos to our portion of USEF - in order to encourage show organizers to cancel competitions, they are not accepting any scores as valid until some date (tbd) in the future. So even if you get scores, you can't turn them in. That is very smart method to discourage competitions from trying to continue as scheduled!

Comment

My barn has not closed, however I am working on the front lines with exposure to hundreds of random people during every shift. I made the decision to stop going to the barn so I wouldn't carry the virus out there.

This is going to be a rough spring.

Comment

My barn is not closed, just limiting the number of boarders who can visit at once. Regardless of how that changes I have decided to stay out of the saddle for the duration of this epidemic.

I typically plan my day around working with my horses. But horse accidents happen, and I will not add my head injury to the burden this virus has created for our healthcare system. I encourage everyone to stay home. Stay out of the saddle. Don’t try to do that thing on your kids skateboard that you used to be able to do.

Be board, be poor, but be healthy.

Comment

I'm kind of ashamed to admit that it's actually given me more time. My son and I are both home, so we trail ride several times per week. Just on our dirt road. We don't get close to anyone, so it's fine. It's been nice. Summer is so hot, that it's hard to ride, unless you go very early. The weather is better for riding right now. It gives him a break from online school work.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlitoaks View Post
              I'm kind of ashamed to admit that it's actually given me more time. My son and I are both home, so we trail ride several times per week. Just on our dirt road. We don't get close to anyone, so it's fine. It's been nice. Summer is so hot, that it's hard to ride, unless you go very early. The weather is better for riding right now. It gives him a break from online school work.
              No shame or guilt. Enjoy this pause if you can 😘
              im incredibly worried about two of the horses here. No bute available for one. No cubes that he will eat for the other. If the grass grows up just a little faster most of the horses and we’ll be ok hopefully barring catastrophic illness in either f us or our hay guys.
              Time management tough for you? 42 great tips and support through this course!

Comment

City on lockdown and barn is closed to boarders. The trainer is offering pro rides for the time being but (understandably) won't ride my unholy terror.....

He can really buck when something sets him off. He's only managed to get me off once but I'm young and sticky. Trainer is in her 60s and ERs definitely don't need any more people right now.

Most importantly I'M MISSING THE BEST RIDING WEATHER I put away my winter riding coats. By the time this blows over it will be sun shirts and riding at 7am down South.

Comment

Pretty minor for me. I haul in to my trainer's barn for weekly lessons - closed. Eventing camp - canceled . Schooling shows - canceled. Well, at least I'm able to save money and my new barn has a nice outdoor jumping arena and an indoor so I'm okay. I have plenty to work on with my guy and my trainer is always available for advice or suggestions.

Comment

I was supposed to take my young jumper mare to Tryon International Equestrian Center for the first time April 2-5, and it was the same weekend as The Fork 3 day event, so my childhood best friend and I were FINALLY going to get to watch each other compete for the first time in years and years. Cancelled.

Next show up is Aiken May 7-10, which I feel like is on the verge of getting cancelled, and that is my favorite place to horse show. I tried not to get my hopes up but I think it's too late... every time I get an email from USEF or USHJA or even COTH I brace myself for the show ban to be extended.

I do have a lovely young horse with a lot of talent, and I am able to ride her every day (and thanks to a WONDERFUL friend I even have a plan B in the event the barn has to close). So I am very thankful for that. But I just LOVE horse showing so freaking much - and my horse does too! She can be bored and cranky at home but she is a dream to ride at the shows and I already miss it SO MUCH.

Comment

My ponies are home with me and we had some driving clinics that were cancelled. We have had a ton of rain so that makes it even harder to drive them. (I don't have a ring, use the neighbors field). My husband passed away and it is just me and the animals. Social distancing is easy for me! Blacksmith is coming tomorrow and I have plenty of feed, etc.

Comment

I’m glad I can still ride my horses.
                        But all the shows got canceled including Upperville and I’m really upset because the weather is best for showing April-June. Looks like shows will start up in July, which is just in time for heat and humidity. Yay.

Comment

My coming 4 year old bucked me off unexpectedly a few weeks ago. I attributed it to wind/gross weather/baby horse but after trying to ride on a nice day he wouldn't take a single step forward without threatening to buck so I had the vet out. They determined he had ulcers and put him on meds. He's obviously feeling better by being a ding dong in the field but I don't feel it's safe to try and get back on him right now. Plus, what's the point in getting him going again just in case everything shuts down in VA soon? The disappointing part is I've put a lot of time and a lot of $$ into this horse and he was going fantastic and my confidence was so high. I feel like the longer I wait to get on him the worse my mental state will be and the more nervous I'll be. I definitely have pre-existing fear issues so that whole thing is just stressing me out. What if the calm version of him is just because he had low level ulcers and felt kinda meh? Because right now on treatment he's acting like a fire breathing dragon. So all in all I'm essentially pretending everything is fine and just letting him live out and relax hoping once this is over he's back to normal.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RedHorses View Post
                            My barn has not closed, however I am working on the front lines with exposure to hundreds of random people during every shift. I made the decision to stop going to the barn so I wouldn't carry the virus out there.

This is going to be a rough spring.
                            Thank you for what you are doing on the front lines !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twistedpony View Post
                              -Land Rover (my favorite weekend all year and the official kickoff to spring show season in my mind) is cancelled

​​​​​​-I haven’t seen my horse in a week because I might have the stupid virus, so I’m staying home until my results are back

-I can’t even plan for a show season this year...it’s too depressing and chaotic. And this was going to be my year to go big or go home with my guy—he’s 14 and I know he won’t feel this good forever.

-I might have the stupid virus, so I’m sick—dry cough worse some days than others, fatigue, temperature that ranges around 98.5 during the day and 99+ in the evening (and I’m one of those weirdos who’s normally at like 97.6)

-Not sure how or when I’ll get to go back to work (I work in a medical lab) because even if I don’t have the virus I clearly have SOMETHING that’s causing nightly low grade fevers?

I know this is all small potatoes compared to what so many people in the world are dealing with. But I’m definitely finding it stressful, and I’m worried that even if I come up negative, there will soon be a shelter in place order for my state and I won’t get to ride then anyway. Plus my school is doing all online stuff which has been an adjustment, especially since it’s a lab science program and by nature hands on. We have our first online tests this week and I’m fairly stressed about how that will go as well.
                              The most important thing is that you recover without exposing others. Do you have family around to help you get by?
                              A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

Can't go to the track to see our racehorses. Our Saturday routine was always to go in early, watch their gallops/works, hang out for a bit, and then go out for lunch. At the moment owners are not allowed. Only people who are in direct care of the horses are allowed.

And the guys that work for our trainer just might be missing me, as well. 😉 I would always bake goodies the day before and take them a huge container. They are always appreciative.

Going to try to get something made for them today, as trainer will be out later to get hay, and he can take back when he goes.
                                What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

I’m so sad that I haven’t seen my boy in 2 weeks, and will probably continue to not be able to see him.

We were making such good progress and went to our first show at the end of February. I just miss seeing him and being with him. *le sigh* one day at a time.

Comment

Was going to move him April 1st. Obviously had to cancel those plans for the wellbeing of my gelding. There would be too many changes and I am quite certain he would wind up nutty within a week if I can't get out there to work him. Unfortunately I was already barely able to afford current barn after a significant pay decrease back in December. Now I feel indefinitely trapped since I am not comfortable moving him when I cannot see him due to barns being closed. At least he is being well taken care of, so that makes the money worth it.

The place I had planned to move him to did not impress me with how they handled the situation so I would like to see what my other options are, which is difficult when you can't go anywhere!

Comment

I keep my horses at home but after coming off unexpectedly last week, it has me questioning if riding is ok with a "shelter in place" ordinance. The ordinance allows for outdoor exercise and walking dogs specifically but doesn't mention horses in there. Even if I stick to riding only on my farm and not trail riding off property, I wonder if I should hold off. Which makes me sad bc I've spent several months getting my 2 main horse's fitness back after a winter break.

Comment

My barn has just instituted a limit of 2 boarders at a time and we all schedule when we'll be out there via a facebook group chat. It's a small barn with only 8 stalls so not too difficult. We've been pretty diligent about disinfecting what we touch while we're there - cross ties, stall latches, etc.

Comment

I had the best situation I've had in years. Trainer who took over Dale's barn needed help hooking horses last fall. Since I'm the only one down there with some serious miles in a buggy, I got the honor. We worked out a deal - I loaned him my work harness, he let me drive. yay!

I had most of the perks of being an owner - just without the board bills, vet bills or shoeing bills. Perfect.

Getting in a road bike turned out to be like riding a bike - it just came back. I hadn't done it in 10? years. Lovely. Somehow I got my fearless back in that time too. More Perfect. I had the show season marked off in my work calendar. Meetings to be scheduled around it. So much for that.

I haven't driven since the end of February. First weekend in March I did a road trip to pick up my cart, then holy hell broke loose. Ugh.

I got videos of my ride this week - he looks good. grrrr. Perfect driving weather, and the only driving I'm doing is from store to store looking for TP.

I need to get down there sometime. I loaned the trainer my paint sprayer (the barn needs it bad) and I need to repaint a vanity. There's maybe 2 people down there, so social distancing isn't an issue. It has to be less of a threat than the grocery store, but...
                                          Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

Working...
                                          X