Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Another Update Page 5 - Disturbing Situation - Wheels in Motion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well done. And why you move before you complain.

Comment

• Originally posted by 16 Hands View Post
      Just got off the phone with Animal Control. She took down a lot of information and got the number for the barn owners and the other boarder who was a witness. They're going to talk to the barn owner and the owner of the horse and focus on education with monitoring. I asked about the other situations and they said they do one at a time and as more evidence or complaints surface, they work on the next item. I'm going to keep in touch and asked for updates on progress. She asked a lot of questions regarding what exactly I saw, what condition the horse was in, whether there was water available just not able to reach it, etc. I reiterated there was drug use going on and there were horses that were starved to the point they couldn't stand. So things are moving along.
      You are a hero , 16 Hands. Most people can't bring themselves to get involved to this degree. And the awfulness of the people in that barn to you and to your friend is a reason why, because people anticipate that will happen, and it's too much for them. Someone like yourself has to come along.

Law enforcement and animal control can do what the law allows for their county. What is possible in their system. They are human beings, too, and often wish they could do more. You sound like you are hitting the right notes of persistence, strong encouragement, and being fair as well.

If only we could do what the big shouter poster wants to do, charge in like the Lone Ranger, rescue the horses and administer a little justice. I get the sentiment. So does LE and AC. Unfortunately that is almost never an available option, under our system.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Over and Onward, that means a lot. And thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I'm going to keep tabs on what's going on over there. Not sure how I'm going to do that without the owner finding out about it but hopefully when I go to move my friend there, the horse will be in the tied up position and I can get some good pictures of it. Not really hopefully for the horse's sake, but I want more evidence to give AC. If they can prove the horse is still being hung up for 24 hours after being told not to, they have more grounds to seize him and charge the owner and the BO with abuse/neglect.

Comment

• If it comes to that, get video, as much as you can, as well as a couple of stills. Even if there isn't much objective difference between video and still photos. If you can, video while walking around and showing the horse from different angles. Somehow video - along with the recorded sound of the environment that is part of the video - is far more powerful than stills. And people can see the tiny twitches and adjustments the horse is trying to make.

Plus, with a mobile phone, it may be less obvious that you are videoing. People notice the finger tapping the button for still photos. But they often don't seem to register that mobile phone video is recording.

I am so sorry for all horses that are made to endure that. Horses are so naturally stoic and silent, and it is too easy for unsympathetic people to dismiss and ignore their suffering.

Comment

• 16 hands, thank you for doing what you did. I hope your friend gets out soon and I hope AC really does do something for those poor horses sake.

Thank you

Comment

• 16 Hands - thanks again. If you really want an update, call whoever you spoke with at the Sheriff's office or AC and ASK what has been done, what charges have been filed and if they have been out there and saw for themselves the horse that is being tied and denied access to hay/water and any level of comfort. TY!

Comment

• Original Poster

Over and Onward, good suggestion about the video taping. Much more impactful than stills.

As an aside - the horse owner suggested to my friend who owns the former dancing horse she should do the same thing to her horse! Of course she said NO!

Comment

• Has anyone asked the owner who is tying her horse for so long what she hopes to accomplish? Or told her how cruel and how much damage it will do? Have the AC people looked at this?

Comment

• Originally posted by TKR View Post
                    Has anyone asked the owner who is tying her horse for so long what she hopes to accomplish? Or told her how cruel and how much damage it will do? Have the AC people looked at this?
                    I hear what you are saying, I really do, and I agree that some education is probably necessary, but honestly we are not living in the dark ages (maybe they are though) if they don’t know it’s cruel, telling them probably won’t help.
                    look at the TN walking horse situations... that still happens. Cruel selfish people just don’t GAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Cruiser12 View Post

I hear what you are saying, I really do, and I agree that some education is probably necessary, but honestly we are not living in the dark ages (maybe they are though) if they don’t know it’s cruel, telling them probably won’t help.
                      look at the TN walking horse situations... that still happens. Cruel selfish people just don’t GAF
                      It's probably worth the effort to at least try a dialog. Abusers often just move on and do the same thing in the future, because they don't think it's wrong. Unless they can be encouraged to see the light.

Possibly someone who doesn't want future trouble with the ACO may refrain from doing it again, if they think it is certain that they will be reported. But not because they are convinced it is wrong, they probably aren't.

It is tough, because most people just dig in when confronted. So it has to be a careful and sympathetic conversation.

For someone who is well-schooled on conducting conversations like that one, there is probably hope. There are negotiators who are expert in bringing hard-core terrorists over to helping the other side. If those negotiators can accomplish that, it may be possible to convert abusers as well. It takes relationship-building and time, and someone in the negotiator role who is adept and fully invested in the project.

One important factor is why the abuser does the abuse. Some don't believe it is wrong. Some know it is wrong, but do it anyway for a number of reasons. They are trying to please, or feel coerced by, a stronger personality who insists on it (especially where there is a long family tradition of whatever the practice is - there is a LOT of that in corners of the horse world). Or, lack of impulse control, and remorse afterward. Etc. Knowing how it comes about is an important part of any approach to achieve a change.

Comment

• Thanks you for not being too chicken to get involved. Glad you removed your horse from the barn and did what needed to be done. The drug use cannot be followed up on unless someone has proof. I hope your friend moves her horse out of there soon.

Comment

• While I am glad you stepped up and reported the abuse, I feel really bad that you left your friend there to get all the fallout.

Comment

• I just wish the AC would get off their lazy asses and go out there and view the poor horse tied up like that! That is such a horrid existence and he will have issues the rest of his (probably short) life! That owner should the crucified or at least be charged and serve time! It makes me so livid when people mistreat innocent, helpless animals!

Comment

• I don’t think lazy asses have much to do with it TKR...remember most states are virtually shut down. Try to think outside the box for a minute...the AC will get the job done but in these frightening times things move slower
                              Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

• Original Poster

Candy Appy - I offered to move her out several times and come to my house so she wouldn't have to be there and I apologized for them going off on her. It wasn't my fallout, it was them making assumptions on her and stealing her stuff, that's what brought them down on her head. She wanted to tough it out and find a new barn.

Well friend moved out a few days ago. The cops had to be called because the BO wouldn't stop harassing friend. They were yelling at her and her husband almost non-stop while they were waiting for the trailer to show to make the move. (The owner of their new barn went and picked them up). Turns out BO had been arrested before for domestic violence so was no stranger to the sheriff's department. There were new boarders there when the police showed, I'm sure that went over well. Then, friend had to leave some stuff behind because she couldn't fit it all in the truck - bales of hay, pallet of bedding pellets, cans full of grain - BO said come and get it, then changed her mind and said that if you leave it behind it belongs to me now and you aren't allowed back on the property.

Friend called the cops again and they advised her she can take them to civil court to get a judgement against them but to send them (BO) an inventory list. That seemed to do the trick, must have figured out they were about to get sued and told her to come and get her things.

Oh, and before she got to the barn, the BO took the hose and soaked her horse and flooded the stall, causing him to freak out. Then they threatened to tie him to the fence and she had 55 minutes to come and get him.
                                Horse is now in a very comfortable barn with a nice paddock to hang in with a friend and people who know what they're doing.

I'm still working on getting the other horse either in the hands of the state or county, or just trying to get his owner to stop mistreating him.

So that pretty much brings us up to date.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TKR View Post
                                  Has anyone asked the owner who is tying her horse for so long what she hopes to accomplish? Or told her how cruel and how much damage it will do? Have the AC people looked at this?
                                  The owner, a man of Mexican heritage, participates in "Mexican Horse Dancing" which, if done correctly is not abusive. However, this wasn't one of those times. The man had him trussed up like that to make his neck "strong" but in reality the horse is probably so stiff from the buildup of lactic acid, he couldn't lower it if he tried. And to stand in one spot to bring his legs under him and be "square."

Comment

• Wow, just wow. That is some nasty BO quite apart from the "dancing horse" stuff! Glad that you and your friend got out safely.

Comment

• God bless you, 16 Hands.

And the sheriff and everyone else who is doing what they can.

And your friend for toughing it out!

If there is a way to get this owner in front of a judge who would forbid future horse ownership, that would at least by grounds for all the future actions that will be needed. Attitudes like his don’t usually change, and they won’t stop acquiring and abusing horses. Sometimes it takes repeat interventions by enforcement before a judge will do this, but sometimes a judge can and will do it the first time.

Good luck, and thanks for keeping us up to date.

Comment

• It amazes me that these people that run these barns aren't on the news getting what they deserve.
                                        I had to move my horses when I realized that the B.O. was an absolute nut. She was deliberately harming my horses. I didn't tell her I was leaving, just showed up with the trailer and moved them out. Got animal control involved so there was a record, but I doubt they made a report. The regular Sheriff's deputies knew who she was and went "oh yeah, that one" when they showed up. I deliberately arranged to move the horses on a day her partner was there, so I knew the horses wouldn't be hurt. There are a lot of crazy people out there running barns.

Comment

Working...
                                        X