Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Massey_web2

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

How do I get my confidence back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get my confidence back?

Long story short (if you're interested in the very long story, you can read all about it at www.facebook.com/aperfectstormx ) I've completely lost my bottle. I had a very unsuitable horse who trashed my confidence. Sold him, bought older and safer horse who is very kind and wonderful.

I'm unable to canter him. I block him through my seat and I tip forwards and I just think "this is how it ends" *eyeroll*

I have cantered him a handful of times - mostly before we moved yards in November. Since then, I've gone back a few steps (again) and now I'm even struggling to find the confidence to trot! We had gotten to a point where we were competing in intro dressage tests online and were cantering in most schooling sessions. Moved, lost the canter. Had a week or 2 off from riding, lost the trot. Lost the plot, more like!! I can't understand how/why I've taken so many steps backwards.

How has anybody else gotten over bumps along the road with their confidence? Are there any exercises I can do when I'm riding which might give me more confidence? I've been having lessons but money isn't exactly flowing and I want to be able to school him on my own: in walk, trot and canter. I've done tempi changes and passage for heavens sake!! I KNOW I can do this. My brain tells me I can't and my body follows suit. It's really getting me down now. Please help

I think what you have is what's called unreasonable fear aka irrational fear = fear of something that is unlikely to cause harm = your (good) riding skills and the reliability of your new horse go out the window; your brain believes you're going to get hurt no matter what, and thus you avoid even trotting -- you talk yourself into the worst case scenario (the bad ending) rather than the good ending (success) which comes from believing your skill and your reliable horse will see you through = you're minimizing the rational: I can do this because I'm capable and my horse is capable, and exagerating the irrational: I'm a terrible rider and my horse is unsuitable, or I'm a good rider and my horse is a good horse but something bad is going to happen anyway -- neither of which is true, right?

There's a great book called Brain Training for Riders. The author talks about unreasonable fear in various riding situations and offers exercises to re-train your brain and get back confidence. Worth reading!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by danacat View Post
      I think what you have is what's called unreasonable fear aka irrational fear = fear of something that is unlikely to cause harm = your (good) riding skills and the reliability of your new horse go out the window; your brain believes you're going to get hurt no matter what, and thus you avoid even trotting -- you talk yourself into the worst case scenario (the bad ending) rather than the good ending (success) which comes from believing your skill and your reliable horse will see you through = you're minimizing the rational: I can do this because I'm capable and my horse is capable, and exagerating the irrational: I'm a terrible rider and my horse is unsuitable, or I'm a good rider and my horse is a good horse but something bad is going to happen anyway -- neither of which is true, right?

There's a great book called Brain Training for Riders. The author talks about unreasonable fear in various riding situations and offers exercises to re-train your brain and get back confidence. Worth reading!
      Thank you!! I've never been able to put into words how the situation feels as well as you just have! I think I need to consciously be thinking more about the success rather than the "what ifs." I'll have a look for that book on Amazon. Thank you!

Comment

Having struggled with fear issues myself the biggest thing I have to add is don't beat yourself up about taking steps backwards. While the fear my now fall into the unreasonable status, it comes from a very reasonable place. You have very valid reasons for feeling this way and your brain is trying to keep you safe. It may be over reacting slightly, but it means well.

If a horse were recovering from a major and prolonged trauma you would forgive it some backsliding as it worked through it's issues. You would understand that it will take time and babysteps, babysteps that sometimes go in the wrong direction, to get to the end goal. You should be just as understanding with yourself. Courage isn't a lack of fear but a willingness to push on despite fear, and you have been swinging your leg over your horse despite being afraid. That is a win.

There are several books out there on the market, or you may want to consider speaking with a therapist. I am assuming you are in Europe based on some of the terminology you use, and that your national health programs would cover therapy. I may be wrong. It helped me through some of my sticking points. They can help you figure out what in your ride is triggering the fear and give you some exercises to help you through it.
        For the horse color genetics junky

Comment

You go back to where you are comfortable and make small steps forward. It takes time and patience. I have been there with jumping. Went all the way back to trotting crossrails on saintly ponies and it took over a year to get back to where I had been before. If you are only comfortable walking, then walk until you are bored. Then add in a few trot steps. Build that up. Then just a canter stride or two. Add to it. If you feel like your horse is contributing to the fear even though the new one sounds quiet and sensible, see if you can borrow or take lessons on something smaller and dead quiet. Don't beat yourself up over it.
          Flickr

Comment

furlong47 has the solution that worked for me. When I bought my new horse 3 years ago, despite the fact that he was beautifully trained and I'm a reasonably good rider, I was afraid to ride/walk/trot/canter him --so as furlong47 said, I went back to where I was comfortable. We did ground work --with our tack/boots on. We practiced all the stuff we'd do mounted using voice commands and long lines/lunge rope. Eventually, we worked on standing quietly at the mounting block and it just seemed right to mount. I did. Got off. Mounted, got off, mounted. And then we took a few steps. We worked on flexing, relaxing, stretching, walking, backing, turning ---and soon we were walking fence lines and every dressage test I knew. It wasn't long before we added trotted steps ---and eventually cantered strides. Ground poles, and then low jumps. After 3 years --we are doing well ---were riding first flight --but last Sunday I took a fall (not horse's fault --lost a stirrup over a fence and slid off.) ---but I'm hurt --bruised ribs. Thinking I'll have to go back to flat work for awhile to get my confidence up again ---oh, and just so you know (very proud) --after I fell, I got back on and took the fence again. But as I said, I'm hurt ---it hurts to canter (pain) --so not sure I'll hunt this week.

Comment

I know you said money is tight and you want to be able to school on your own, but I think lessons with a good instructor, who can also give you lunge lessons, might be a good place to start as well.

It's different when someone else has control of the horse; you're free to work on your position and your problems.

Comment

The successful tactic that has helped me overcome pretty major riding anxiety (in my case, it was jumping) was finding my comfort zone and just staying there until I was totally bored of it. It could be as simple as grooming your horse on the ground, or keeping the mounted work to a walk, or in my case, jumping nothing bigger than cross rails. Eventually my brain acknowledged that nothing bad was going to happen, because nothing had, and I started seeking more of a challenge.

It can't be rushed, and it can feel very discouraging, but every person is so different in how they face fear, rational or not; so take your time. If you feel safe at the walk, stay there until you start craving something more. At that point, make a specific plan such as "we will trot only the short side of the arena", or even "we will trot 3 steps". Having a specific plan helps set boundaries and teaches your brain that you are in control and therefore safe, etc. Once the plan is executed, return to your comfort zone and spend enough time there to settle any adrenaline that may come from working in "new" territory and use it to congratulate yourself at trying something new. Feel free to stay in the comfort zone as long as you like... Until you start craving The Next Step again.

Eventually your brain and instincts will reprogram to acknowledge that you are in control, you are competent, and bad things will not always happen when you stretch yourself. My own journey took years and years, and it is infinitely difficult not to compare yourself to other riders who may be progressing far faster than you feel you should be... But I've come to realize, it doesn't actually matter my riding "level" compared to others'. I intend to spend my entire life improving and, most importantly, enjoying my horsemanship, so why do I need to be in a rush to "get there"?

I do wish you the best and am rooting for you!
                thebaybondgirl.wordpress.com

Comment

Check out this site. You may want to read her book. https://www.tonyajohnston.com/

I went through this about 12 years ago. It's real. It happens, I get that. Mine was similar in that I had a horse I shouldn't have been riding at that particular time in my life. I had two falls, and I lost confidence. It took a saintly QH to start getting it all back. At first I didn't want to canter him, either. But eventually I did, and once I did, I was able to really start gaining in my riding. I've eventually gotten back to where I used to be in my riding, but it was a process!

Do you have someone who can ride your horse before you ride, just so you can see that he's being well behaved and he CAN easily canter with a rider. Sometimes that helped my confidence knowing someone else just did it.

Also, how is your fitness level? When I lost some fitness and gained some weight, that is when I had my two falls. I've since realized that being fit helps a great deal in confidence simply because I ride better. Maybe try some rider specific exercises.

Good luck. You'll get there if you keep trying.

My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

I went through this and am still working through this sometimes. Without riding regularly, I got out of shape and what little I knew about riding flew out the window, causing me to be fearful whenever I would ask for anything more than a walk! I read the book "Riding Fear Free" which was helpful and notes some of the strategies already mentioned here.

What I found really works for me was getting in regular lessons with a really good trainer. She isn't necessarily versed in working with fearful riders, but her basic concept (with horses and with people!) is to keep them busy, thus giving the brain something besides the fear to concentrate on. This ranges from simply working on getting a good working walk where the front is light but the hind is reaching under, to serpentines and crossing the diagonal at a trot. I've been riding with her now for a year, and I'm back to doing w/t/c. What has truly helped is that she is teaching me the correct way to ride, so that I feel secure, in control, and can troubleshoot when things start to go awry. Practicing these tools so that they become automatic instead of sitting and being overcome by fear has helped tremendously. When I start to feel the canter get heavy and fast, it doesn't hurt that she immediately tells me that I'm okay and reminds me what to do to bring it back .

Having that person on the ground coaching me through it all has truly been the key for me. I know I wouldn't be back in the saddle and doing what I am now without taking that step for lessons.

Comment

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, am now back in the middle of it again (though with jumping, not flat work, both times). For me, the answer has always been take it back to the beginning, as far as I need to, until I get bored.

When I was a kid, I crashed my horse through a jump (I knew before I tried to go over it that it was a bad idea but felt pressured by the person I was riding with to try, and, lo and behold, it was a bad idea, so lesson learned on that one). We were both physically fine - I mean, we fell, but it was a SJ fence, so it came down with us and there was no permanent damage - but it made me absolutely terrified to jump anything else.

My trainer's solution, after I told her what happened due to being too scared to jump during my next lesson? Take it back to poles. She told me that the next time I rode, she wanted me to set a course of poles, and that I should ride it without changing anything til I got bored. Once I was bored, then I could set little cross-rails. Once I got bored with those, I could make them a little bigger. Once those got boring, make them small verticals, and just keep upping them until we were back at our normal schooling height. Like other posters have mentioned, it was about convincing my brain that that worst-case scenario wasn't the most likely one and that I could do all of those things and be just fine.

Given that I was twelve? at the time (maybe thirteen), it only took one slightly long ride for me to speed through all of that. Now that I'm an adult, it can take months, and that's fine. I had a lot of confidence issues coming out of my last training situation, but I've been forced to do a lot of walk/trot work for the last ~eight months since my horse is only three (four in May) and has a sticky stifle that we've been very focused on strengthening. Taking the time to do those things has actually upped my confidence a lot because it's reminded me that my foundational skills in the saddle are actually a lot stronger than I frequently convince myself they are, and it's made me start craving the things that have most recently made me very nervous (and, better yet, I'm going to be forced to keep things slow for a long time because he's not ready yet to do those things that I'm now wanting to do, which should only continue helping).

It's okay to stay at the walk until you're bored and ready to trot. It's okay to stay at the trot until you're bored and ready to canter. You can take as much time as you need to get yourself to the point where you're bored and ready to do that next thing. My training philosophy with my horse, especially while he's so young, is "We'll do [x thing] whenever he tells me he's ready for it" (and, perhaps most importantly, when I feel I'm ready for it too). It's more than alright for us to take that approach with ourselves too.

Also, when it comes to work out of the saddle, I find that just getting moving (even if it's just a short walk) and making sure that I stretch regularly helps a lot, especially whenever I can't ride for a little while for whatever reason. What I can do in the saddle on any given day is directly influenced by how "stuck" I feel - like, sometimes my right leg feels like it's jammed into a particular position and I can't get independent movement from my seat and leg - and oftentimes that "stuck" feeling (and subsequent feeling of lack of security in the saddle, or inability to direct my horse, or whatever else) is a consequence of me not making sure that I'm properly loosened up before I get on. It seems like a small thing, but I've found that it can make a world of difference in how comfortable and secure I feel in the saddle from one day to the next.

Best of luck with this - it's definitely a hard thing to go through, but just be patient with yourself. We all have our own timelines and that's more than okay!

Comment

At one level, the issue is that you unconscious mind is arguing with your conscious mind. Either conventional therapy, or hypnotherapy can help with that.
                        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

I had a bad fall with torn rotator cuff some years back, and it devastated my confidence with my OTTB. What helped most was asking nothing more of us than we felt comfortable doing, as others have said above, until I was bored. Relieve yourself of the idea that the horse MUST do this that or the other thing. The horse is happy just to be a horse with you. We worked on voice commands with longeing, ground work, getting a beautiful walk.

Walter Zettl wrote that the walk is the most important and most neglected gait. (My Horses My Friends). Work on the walk - get a big back swing, use your core muscles, do it for as long as you like varying the pattern and the contact. My OTTB had the most beautiful stretchy walk and trot before I got nerve enough to canter again. I don't know why we are all obsessed with canter - like it is some litmus test of a Real Ride. It Is Not.

We are all in this for the joy of it, and for the love of the horse. Your joy will find you when you let it. Do not judge yourself harshly, ever. You are on a horse, which is such a dam great privilege and pleasure!

Comment

Books and emotional support are all find, but what you need is some instruction with a good instructor so you can "wet the blanket" intelligently. That will give you the knowledge you need to build your own confidence as well as the support you need while you practice and build that confidence. This need not necessarily be a multi-month project. A few, properly spaced (i.e., not too far apart) lessons might be a very good way to go.

This will require you to pay the instructor for their time and expertise. I know money can be tight, but a question: what is the deductible on your health insurance for an ambulance ride, an ER visit, and a night in your local hospital for observation/evaluation after a fall? It's expensive if yo don't hit your head; if you do that and concuss yourself add a neurological consult and an MRI and/or a CAT scan. Consider that a couple hundred spent on prevention can save you several thousand in cure.

there is a level of hazard in the equestrian sports that is not zero, even for just "ring riding."

Good luck in your program.

G.
                            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

So much good advice here already. I'm another BTDT — after coming off the fourth time on my previous horse, when I'd for years ridden bolters and spookers without being unseated, I was mentally paralyzed by the thought of cantering. Switched to a saint, still up in my own head and unable to break through the cognitive block. Here's what helped me, if any of it's useful.
                              • I stopped beating myself up about it (as others have said, negative self-talk just reinforces the distortion).
                              • I absolutely stopped cantering for awhile and focused on walking and trotting. There's so, so much you can do in just the walk gait!
                              • When we started cantering again, I asked my instructor to ride him a couple of times while I watched. This let me visually see what my new horse's canter looked like, and it helped to have her talk through what she was doing in response to the way he carried himself. Somehow, seeing him move under saddle with someone else helped me fully "get" that he is in fact a 14.2h, well-mannered pocket-rocket and not a half-wild megabeast.
                              • Our earliest canters were a handful of steps and then down to trot. Then a half circle. Then full. Eventually we got to the full arena, but only when I was ready to push my comfort edge a bit more.
                              • Not with this horse, but I've found that sometimes popping over a very low cross rail gets me riding the canter without THINKING about it, if that makes sense. We're just cantering, and it gets me past the "omg I have to ask and what if what if what if" anticipation that can mess me up.

I'm so happy this thread is here, because it can feel very lonely in this headspace. Clearly it's pretty common — and as thoroughbred21 said, we ride because we love to do it. So if cantering isn't your joy right now, it's ok! Gently ask yourself now and then if you feel up to giving it a try. When the time comes, you'll be ready. Lots of hugs.

Comment

First I'll say, we have all (or at least most of us) have been there at one time or another. I get frustrated and mad at myself about becoming nervous about doing something I know I can do.

Without going into all the chemistry behind it, you can literally rewire your brain through your posture. A fearful posture will most likely have a closed, rounded position, palms down while a more confident posture would be sitting tall, shoulders open and palms up. The next time you're on your horse at the walk, become aware of your posture and your state of mind. I'm guessing it will be more toward the former. Then, as you walk along, change your posture to the open position. Make a conscious effort to stretch tall, open your shoulders and turn your palms toward the sky. Think about rides that have gone well and stay with it until you begin to feel it. Staying in the open position for just 20 seconds can begin to switch your brain into a more confident state. I've used this prior to jumping rounds and am amazed how well it works. I used to go into the ring a bundle of nerves. Now I go in solid as a rock. My horse feels it and responds in the same manner. It creates a fantastic cycle of confidence building.
                                "Do what you can't do"

Comment

Check out https://www.facebook.com/TheConfidentRider/ Confident Rider on Facebook. Really excellent support and advice.

Comment

I had success with what others have suggested: a good trainer, focus on a exercise rather than riding itself, riding with good friends as support, and having a good horse. I also tried EMDR with a therapist which seemed to help a bit.

Comment

Disclaimer: I don't actually have Fear. I capitalize it, because it's a whole thing. My Sis has had it and overcame it. I get anxious, and that cripples my ride (think full body clench), but anxiety is a low nag, where Fear is a sharp stab.

You know Fight Club's rule? Yeah, horses should have a Rule Number One: It's Supposed to Be Fun.

You're frustrated by what you can't do. But what are you able to do? Is it bringing you pleasure? Groundwork (or just ground living; my mare's a bitch, but I adore time spent in her stall) is a great suggestion. Mucking stalls? My BOs have always appreciated helping hands, and don't underestimate the mental benefits of manual labour. Working for horse comfort is somehow calming for me.

Is a dressage lesson on a schoolie a possibility? Even one great dressage lesson can give you weeks or even months of stuff to work on. Stuff you can work on (is best worked on!) in the walk. And the trot is the schooling gait. Since focusing more on our flatwork, an average ride for me and my mare (again, no fear, had a few awesome low-level trials this past season) is about 20 total min of walk, 20 of trot, and 1.5 min of canter. A walking lunge lesson on a steady horse can be huge, too! I did my first ever lunge lesson a little over a month ago, and "life-changing" is a stretch. But not by much.

Hope you're able to keep enjoying horses! Find the fun part again, and let the rest go for a while.

Comment

I too am "been there done that."

A friend and I were exploring a new trail, trotting along a smooth, flat section when my horse stumbled and went down on his knees. I managed to roll off and avoid breaking anything. I was lying there and I couldn't move my right arm at all. I had hyperextended the area from my spine past my shoulder blade. I had a variety of nerve injuries to the right brachial plexus which runs the shoulder and arm. It was in 2004 and I have permanent damage that affects range of motion. My deltoid and biceps are significantly impaired. The infraspinatus is gone forever. It was a relatively innocuous fall with catastrophic injuries. It affects my daily life and my riding. My horse knows he can pull his head to the left to avoid something and that I can't pull him back because I can't get my right hand down the rein.

Fear is hard-wired in your brain. You can't ignore it. You need to deal with it at your own pace. There are lots of good suggestions in this thread. Basically you have find a comfortable spot to restart your riding. Don't let anyone bug you or egg you on or put you down. Figure out where your comfort level is and work from there. If you are only comfortable getting on your horse and standing for a few minutes that's fine. Get off. Next day you may do the same thing, or you may decide you want to go a couple of steps and then dismount. Don't push yourself beyond that spot just because you are "supposed" to WTC and jump because that's where you were. You will start to feel that you are making tiny improvements. Let them come at their own pace. I didn't ride for over a month after that injury. When I got back on I had to ride one-handed. I found someone to help and went on a lead line with kids until I was adapting to the limitations.

There is a book called "Fear Free Riding." It is set up as a training program more than a philosophical discussion. The forward was written by Jody Lyons, second wife of trainer John Lyons. She was petrified of horses when they met. Years ago there was a very active discussion board on John's website. Whenever someone complained about a husband, for example, we would remind them that they can use the same training techniques they use with their horse. That is sort of what this book does.

Another benefit of the book is that it has quite a bit of content focusing on instructors and coaches so that they understand their role. Very often they will put too much pressure on you trying to rush you back to where they think you should be.

You can do this. Remember to love on your horse on the ground and on the horse. A lot of people think I trained my horse to do stuff he actually figured out on his own. He's a good boy and that's what I've been telling him for the past 19 years.
                                        Last edited by walktrot; Feb. 14, 2020, 05:08 PM.
                                        "With hardly any other living being can a human connect as closely over so many years as a rider can with her horse." Isabell Werth, Four Legs Move My Soul. 2019

Comment

Working...
                                        X