Sport Horse Spotlight

Sternlicht_CF_Stallion_Web-1583x1266

Real Estate Spotlight

Massey_web2

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Funny/nutty horse stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockymouse View Post

Son and I laughed. To this day, some years later, if we drive past that place and the now-aged, now-potbellied and gray-faced dog is outside, my family says to each other in a spooky whisper "watch out! it's a beagle!"
    similar was our encounter with with some Doberman Pinschers.... we had always had German Shepherd Dogs, while riding in the neighbor out comes these two Dobermans .. my kids knew they were German dogs but could not remember the just what they were called... they called them German Snappers ... and that is what they are know as to this day

Comment

We only had permanent fencing in one of our fields, the other 2 (10acres each) were electric wire which the deer were constantly running through. We also would "keep" handicap riding program horses during their off season so the riding program didn't have to pay for them to be boarded when not in use. One was a TWH who was quite smart, despite being older than dirt and didn't move that fast. He knew when everyone was gone for the day, knew when the deer had taken down the fence, and would take himself on a tour of the rural neighborhood all day till it was time to come home before the humans did. Never had any idea the fence was down because he was always back when we got home. Till he did a real number on a fussy someone's yard and we had to replant their flower beds for them. The stories from other neighbors of Homer visiting during the day trickled in after that. Gotta love the smart ones!

Comment

My young (almost 4 yr) horse stabled overnight at a horse show, let himself out of his chain link temporary stall and
        wandered around saying hi to all the other horses and put himself back into another stall.
        Night watchman informed us the next morning.
        Thats when we learned about tying doors shut with twine string.

Comment

Originally posted by Chall View Post
          My young (almost 4 yr) horse stabled overnight at a horse show, let himself out of his chain link temporary stall and
          wandered around saying hi to all the other horses and put himself back into another stall.
          Night watchman informed us the next morning.
          Thats when we learned about tying doors shut with twine string.
          My little QH did that at a Pony Club rally at KHP! I came back to find his stall tied shut with a lead rope and a note from the night watchman. Apparently Shorty had been visiting the neighbors and trotted back to his stall when he was spotted. I can just picture him standing trying to lol nonchalant and innocent.
          He also dozed off during the jog and Formal Inspection, requiring a whip-wielding friend's assistance to actually produce the required jog... He was an odd bird to say the least, lol.

Comment

Not mine but a fellow boarder's horse. He was a TB who was around 11 when I first knew him and generally well trained and well behaved. Except he would have what we called "thoroughbred moments". Sudden spooks at something only he could see etc. He was entered in a dressage show and he trotted in down centerline, started to halt, and was suddenly facing A! Another test and he was doing well until the first canter when he accelerated and refused to slow down or change gaits - I dont know how many laps they made until she could stop him.

Then there was the time that she hauled him alone to a hunter show. Just as they pulled in she felt the trailer rocking and heard crashing sounds. Opened the door to find him completely upside down with all four feet in the air. By then he was just lying there. We never could figure how he could do that. Fortunately there were people there to help move the divider and pull him back a little to get him out. He only had minor abrasions so she shrugged and rode in the show and did well.

Comment

MsM, I have a friend who had a horse do something similar in a trailer. She got to the show and everyone asked her how she got the horse loaded "that way." Confused, she walk to the back of the trailer and he's backwards, face over the ramp. In a 2-horse trailer in a partition securely fastened. She never felt a thing and he didn't have a mark on him.
              "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

Took my hardy little BLM pony, Smokey, on a hunter pace with several friends. We were about 2/3 of the way through an 8 mile course and stopped to pop over some teeny, tiny XC jumps. Smokey dutifully popped over twice and the third time said "Jumping is just too much work, I will trot this." As I walked him back to the group, all of a sudden, I saw the grass in front of me. I had a brief moment of "OMG he's having a heart attack," but no....

He just fell to his knees and started munching the lush, green grass.

My friend rode by laughing and saying "I don't even know how to help you right now!"
                Brand Loyal
                BLM Mustangs: Smokey, Dollar, & Tanner
                BLM Burros: Radar & Ping

Comment

One day my dad got an unexpected visit from the state police who were responding to a call about loose horses.
                  The police were going up the road asking if anyone was missing the paint horse and grey mini that were wandering loose in the alfalfa field across the road from our house. Of course they were ours.

The cop asked my dad how was he going to catch the horse way out in the middle of a big field. Dad replied "Watch this" and went to the edge of the road and called my horses name along with "get over here"! Horse looked up and started ambling toward home, mini following along. He stopped at the road, checked for traffic, crossed and came right up to dad.

Cop couldn't believe it, he was expecting some sort of rodeo. They discovered horse had opened the latch, he left hay drool behind as evidence, lol! They had a good laugh and dad chained the gate to prevent another adventure.

Comment

Thought of more That $%^! Walking Horse stories:

*We were boarding a a very posh place that had Dutch doors at the back of all stalls, looking out onto a small pasture where Trainer kept 3 young WB stallions. Top part of these doors was left open in nice weather.
                    Property - 40ac - was mostly perimeter-fenced, but had a gate that led right onto a road & that was open during business hours.
                    DH's Walker figured out how to unlatch the bottom half of the DDs, let himself out, then freed the 3 stallions - their pasture gate had an easy to open from outside latch.
                    We missed the Rodeo Roundup, but the next day Walker had a padlock on the bottom half of his DD.

*At another boarding barn the pastures were fenced with coated tensile, top wire carried a charge.
                    Same fencing used for the outdoor, but no hot top wire there.
                    Walker learned to torture my TB by grabbing the top wire in the outdoor & letting it go PING!
                    When that happened, TB was convinced a charge could somehow leap over to bite him, spooked every time

*Also at above barn, geldings were turned out separately from mares.
                    TWH learned how to limbo beneath the fencing to visit the girls.
                    Somehow they never beat him up. Musta had a smooth opening line
                    "How you ladies doin?"
                    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Not my horse but my mom's. The Old Man was a failed cutting horse (grew far too big) turned h/j in the late 60's, early 70's. The barn my parents kept their horses had dutch doors and The Old Man would jump out, find himself a bale of hay and head to the nearest trailer. He would hang out in the trailer munching away on his buffet until someone caught him. I am pretty sure he just liked to travel.

The same horse would jump out of his pasture, find a bale and bring it back to his girlfriend (my dad's mare). He would than shove the bale back into the pasture and hop back in. From the stories I'v heard he was a pretty cool horse. Ugly as sin (seen photos he wasn't a looker) but a darn good boy.

Comment

I have a blonde 3yo filly who isn't the brightest bulb on the tree. I never have to worry about her escaping because if the gate isn't open enough for her to go through, she will stand there until the end of time. She'll put her head through and sort of lean forward and then decide she doesn't fit and back up. The gate swings so easily the wind will blow it open, but she will not touch it. I've tried to teach her to push it with treats and praise, but she won't do it. I guess I should be grateful she doesn't rush the gate LOL.
                        Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
                        Anonymous Bedouin legend

Comment

Love these stories! I have a couple that, oddly enough, are about the same horse. The one that let itself out of his chain link pen reminded me of this.

My good old guy who is no longer with us sadly, learned to let himself out of his stall in 10 seconds flat. He would jiggle the chain on his gate until it fell off the hook and he'd swing open the door and out he'd go. There were many nights when I would come driving up the road and there's Woodrow walking down the shoulder like he's out for his evening constitutional. Early one morning I heard some commotion in the barn and looked out the window and I could see Woody's butt sticking out of the shed row clearly not in his stall, I go out and he had obviously had a party in the barn aisle, anything that could be turned over - garbage cans, tack bins - were turned over and emptied. I install him back in his stall and secured it with twine and gave everyone breakfast. It had snowed the night before so I thought I'd follow his tracks of his midnight foray and he had left his stall, went across to the mare paddock, crossed the yard, down the driveway out to the road, around the corner, went in the back of the property and made a circuit, back to the road, across to the neighbor's but didn't linger, back up the road, around the corner down the driveway and back into the barn. That was the last night of him going out without us. We put on a different latch and for a week you'd see him jiggling that chain and tugging on the gate trying to let himself out before he gave up. What a goofball!

When I first bought Woody, I didn't realize he was a master at untying knots. The first time, DH and I went for a local trail ride and stopped for lunch. While we were eating, out of out sight of the horses, he untied himself and went for a walk. we come back and no Woody so we both start walking down the trail and I see him a short distance away looking around. I call him and he swings around, whinnies, and comes trotting over to me. If he could talk, I'd swear he was saying "I went to look for you and couldn't find you, you left me alone with that bitchy mare." Or we'd be up in the mountains horse camping and in the morning I'd find him tied to a tree or someone's trailer just hanging out until Icame and got him. It got so bad that every morning I'd ask my husband "Is Woody still there?" I finally devised a Woodrow proof knot that was still quick release so he'd stay put all night. I never heard a sound when he left, the other horses didn't raise a ruckus so I don't think he ever went very far.

He was a jokester for sure.

Comment

One more. I had entered a schooling dressage show with my little mustang mare and things were going just peachy until she was doing the circle at A working canter. Then it went all downhill. She slammed on the brakes at X and refused to go forward because someone had the temerity to store a jump standard outside the dressage arena which she would have to pass. Uh uh, not happening. I finally convinced her to at least walk past it and we resumed our test once past that scary monster, her snorting and bug eyed. Loved the comment on the judge's card "Loss of forward motion at X." I'd say so.

Comment

There used to be a horse at a barn I boarded at that would rush through stall doors and gates. His owners weren't able to fix the problem, so for safety purposes they backed him into his stall or for turnout. There were a few occasions when he'd get out of his paddock, run to his stall, and then back himself in. Was comical to see.

Comment

Years ago the BO leased a facility while her modern huge indoor and barn were under construction. A half dozen geldings were together in a small pasture with a gate that was sliding bars and wasn't much of a challenge to open.. They would take off together, run around a bit having a little fun. Except for one. He would stand at the open gate unwilling to take a single step out. "You guys are going to get in trouble!!!"
                                "With hardly any other living being can a human connect as closely over so many years as a rider can with her horse." Isabell Werth, Four Legs Move My Soul. 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X