Sport Horse Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Your pet peeves over horse handling.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mango20 View Post

I had to have some words on this issue with a tween who was getting to ride and show my awesome pony for FREE. She was calling him butthole, and other unsavory names. I reminded her that if she felt so poorly of him, she could just stop riding him.
    My first trainer called her very beautiful but sometimes very naughty gelding "Alpo" when he acted out during his first week home and it kind of stuck. He was very talented but opinionated.

I'm gonna go with people just leaving all their crap in the aisle when they tack up. I've seen blankets, halters, lead ropes, jackets, sneakers, grooming totes, and everything else just laying there on the ground where the cross ties are. I didn't do that when I was a junior. Grooming tote goes back in the tack room, lead rope, jackets, blankets etc, hung on the stall or in the tack room. Halter, if it wasn't a good time to turn and go back to past the stall to hang it would at the very least get hung on a closer stall until I came back to the cross ties after riding. I can't fathom people that just drop all their things where they are.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jenerationx View Post

My first trainer called her very beautiful but sometimes very naughty gelding "Alpo" when he acted out during his first week home and it kind of stuck. He was very talented but opinionated.

I'm gonna go with people just leaving all their crap in the aisle when they tack up. I've seen blankets, halters, lead ropes, jackets, sneakers, grooming totes, and everything else just laying there on the ground where the cross ties are. I didn't do that when I was a junior. Grooming tote goes back in the tack room, lead rope, jackets, blankets etc, hung on the stall or in the tack room. Halter, if it wasn't a good time to turn and go back to past the stall to hang it would at the very least get hung on a closer stall until I came back to the cross ties after riding. I can't fathom people that just drop all their things where they are.
      I have never seen that before.

If it was my barn, I would put all that left there in a (clean) basket.
      Then put it in the stall of the horse that was groomed there.
      See what that owner does when it comes back to a clean aisle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post

I have never seen that before.

If it was my barn, I would put all that left there in a (clean) basket.
        Then put it in the stall of the horse that was groomed there.
        See what that owner does when it comes back to a clean aisle.
        People do it. Really annoying. I've gone to put a horse in cross ties, and there's a halter still attached to one of the cross ties too. How lazy can people get? I have hung a halter or lead rope on another horse's stall hook when a farrier was working between where I was cross tied and the correct horse's stall was, but never ever left anything on the ground when I'm leaving the barn aisle. I don't know how anyone, and in this case it's multiple people, think that's acceptable.

Comment

• Oh Another i just talked about with my dad.

People do not understand the difference between a casual trail ride and back country trips. People who do not understand that our horses are in very fit shape and that it is not safe for a minimally rode animal to go on these trips right out of the gate.

We had a huge flood of this issue after Unbranded came out, thankfully it slowed down the past year or so.

We would get a lot of riders contacting us (my familys pack buisness) wanting to go on a trip with us, wants to help us, wants a job yada yada.

Normally we could discourage most (85%), explaining that Dobbin was not ready for these kinds of rides. That being ridden a few miles on flat ground twice a week was not the same as what we normally do.

Those that acted like they knew more than we did having watched a simple documentary, well we let them come out. Since we dont have 40 some years of experience between three generations to draw from.

We do normally our shortest pack trip, 25 miles in of well-groomed trails with a decent amount of hill work but nothing extreme like some of our longer trips have. One night then head home next day.

a few have had their horses actually do great, these were ones that had actually prepared and wanted to learn more. these people were awesome and normally did get signed on to help for that season.

However most the others (11) had horses so spent by the time we reached camp they had to ride back on a pack mule so their horse could take it easy. Or some horses had never high lined or hobbled so their owner didnt get a lick of sleep. One horse came up lame half way so we had to take him back, another ended up spending two nights at camp he was so out of shape and exhausted.

I have told my dad we should just refuse them entirely, but some times the lesson has to be learned and they dont take no for an answer (his words) By the time we get back to base, most of these riders apologize for their behavior. They also thank us for teaching them about what we do and how it is not all that easy as the documentaries show. A few have come out and used our own horses to enjoy some pack trips while taking the time to prep their own mount.

Thankfully we didnt have any like that this past season, but the occasional call comes up but is openminded enough to let us explain why Dobbin may not be ready for that kind of riding.

Comment

• 1) People that ride in the pasture with loose horses.

2) People that leave wheelbarrows, muck carts, rakes, and forks and what not in the horse’s paddock.

3) Not really a handling thing, but I can’t stand it when people overblanket their horse to death and then complain that their horse is “really hard on blankets”. He’s not wrecking is blanket for fun, he’s wrecking it because you keep putting your heaviest blanket on your wooly mustang every time there’s the tiniest snow flake within 50 miles. Listen to your damn horse.

Comment

• Poorly fitting helmets are my #1! There is a girl I see at events EVERY year whose helmet makes me clench my jaw—it tilts way back over her head, leaving tons of exposed forehead. No, it’s not the style of the helmet...just the way it’s fitted (or not). Either her chin strap is way too loose, the helmet’s the wrong size, or it’s the wrong shape for her head, but in any case it is sending my blood pressure spiking just thinking about it now

Comment

• Originally posted by tabula rashah View Post
                Looping a lead or lunge line around a hand. Not wearing helmets. Sandals or flip flops. Over horses little kids. Anthropomorphizing. People who want their horse to preform an action (like loading or standing for clipping, etc) and have never spent the time to train it
                Little to say about your post but I LOVE your tagline!
                Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

• Here's chapter 3. I knew it was out there, just not what and when.

The trainer everyone loves is very good friends with several people at the barn. She was there on Monday working with one boarder who is a very good rider and pretty good at training. Best with her dog who was born on the farm. She has 4 horses, one a young mare she started. We came in after they had started and she was doing some mounted work.

I've noticed that when we ride at the same time it can be difficult figuring out what she is doing and keeping track of where she is and where she is going. We were trotting down the long side and I see her headed straight for us. My horse was scared and on the edge of taking off. I was too. She managed to turn away by hauling on the left rein. She was about a horse length away! The trainer got on her case. She doesn't start to turn when she should, way late. I think she does everything with her body straight, never looks where she is going. It happened again on the other side where there is more room. I sure hope they do some more work together.

The more I read what people have said here, and the thread I started about my handsome horse, it strikes me that some people put a lot of intensity into training their horse. There are some of us who are quieter and the horse has more room for their personality to develop and come out where we can see it. That's when you can see their foibles. One thing that John Lyons(Conditioned Response Training) talks about is repetitions. If the horse needs 1,000 reps to learn something, you could do them all at once, or in groups, maybe 200 for 5 days. And then there is 1 for 1,000 days. Maybe not quite that literal, but I have a horse who lowers his head when I groom if I put my hand on the noseband. He knows how to line up straight with the mounting ramp. Sometimes I have to cue with the outside rein, sometimes he does it on his own. Takes a sideways step with the hind leg and his butt is right where he should be. Same with learning to stand outside a stall while I clean it up to grain him. I never thought about training them, they just worked it out themselves with my consistency.

I think it's a lot more fun and probably gets a better horse in the long run when you take the pressure off.
                  "With hardly any other living being can a human connect as closely over so many years as a rider can with her horse." Isabell Werth, Four Legs Move My Soul. 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Lu View Post

Little to say about your post but I LOVE your tagline!
                    lol It's one of my favorite movies
                    Wouldst thou like the taste of butter ? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

• Letting a horse rub it's head against you. I am not a tree or some other inanimate object and you don't get to treat me like one. I have a friend who saw a woman who always let her horse do this to her get dragged by said horse. The horse was ridden in a full cheek and the bit got caught on a belt loop. The dragging didn't stop until her pants finally ripped.

People who don't know how to lounge properly.

People who let their horses walk all over them, have gotten repeatedly hurt by their spoiled horses and then look at you like you're Satan when you correct your horse for bad ground behavior with an appropriate physical correction.

Comment

• People that watch their horse's neck their entire ride. You know they are not looking out for others in the arena, and you have no clue where they are going next because their head is down and their eyes are glued to their horse's neck, so it is next to impossible to stay out of their way. I don't know if they think their horse's head is going to fall off if they take their eyes off it, or if perhaps, somehow, they think they can magically will it to go where they want it to by staring down at it, but, man, trying to share an arena with these people is like playing mounted dodgeball!

Also, people who do not leave adequate space when passing you in the arena....the ones who constantly pop you in the leg with their whip or knock their stirrup iron against yours because they seem to lack any depth perception or the ability to estimate distance. My mare is especially possessive of her personal space, and nothing gets her more irritable than other horses getting into her bubble while we are trying to work.
                        Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

Working...
                        X