Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Buyer throwing up red flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoopoe
    replied
    he sounds like a well rehearsed scam artist. How friendly are you with other breeders in your state / country. Perhaps his M.O. is known

Leave a comment:

• js
    replied
    Document and then block his phone number and email address (if your phone etc. allows). Do not respond any further with this individual.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlitoaks
    replied
    Disappointment is a bitter pill to swallow. Sounds like he liked the idea of owning a Friesian. Status symbol? Whatever his motivation, I'm glad you nixed it.

I refused to sell a heifer to a woman I suspected was a hoarder. She sounded rather nutty on the phone and I got a weird vibe from her when she kept going on about breeding the heifer to her (far too large) bull. She had no way to catch the heifer and complained about her pasture being bare from all the goats. When I get a bad feeling, I offer a farm visit to help with ideas on how to set up a catch pen and chute, etc... This was not well-received with this woman. I did what you did, OP. The heifer was no longer available. She called back a year later, when I was selling more calves, and got the same answer.

Leave a comment:

• BrokenArrow
    replied
    SonnysMom nailed it on the head. Having possession of the horse until it's paid off saves a lot of drama.

It's fairly common to offer payment plans on youngsters around here. Most of them are until weaning, but some people offer them for the unbroken stock too. It's been a bad few years here for drought in Australia, making the market even tougher than usual. It's a helpful selling pointand the ones my inlaws have sold on payment plans have all been short term, 3-6 months usually, and never had any dramas with people not paying.

Thanks for your help and reassurance everyone. He hasn't contacted me again, so here's hoping it'll be the last of it.

Leave a comment:

• Redlei44
    replied
    OP, out of curiosity, is offering payment plans strictly necessary for this market? Not offering them seems like it would be quite useful in deterring this type of buyer from contacting you in the first place, as well as mitigating the issues associated with the insurance and his specific questions about “what happens if. . .”

Leave a comment:

• Unfforgettable
    replied
    He incurred those expenses on his own and then started adding concerns and conditions to the sale that negated such sale. That's his problem and not yours. I'd ignore him.

Leave a comment:

• Rockfish
    replied
    Originally posted by Moonlitoaks View Post
    A beginner willing to learn is good. A beginner that knows it all is bad.
    Quoted for emphasis!

Leave a comment:

• SonnysMom
    replied
    Originally posted by Guilherme View Post

Personally, any contract that restricts my right to exercise full care, custody, and control of something I buy will be VERY carefully considered.
    But in this situation the buyer is using the breeder as a bank. If the buyer wants full care, custody and control of something they need to actual buy it -as is pay in full for it. Would you sell some stranger off the street a car and let them leave with it after on putting down a deposit? Of course they would need the title so they can register it to get insurance. So what is your recourse if they wreck the car before they finish paying for it? Or if they stop paying for the car?
    Even if you buy a car from a dealer and get to take the car home and use it the dealer gets paid for the car. The bank/credit union etc...has to deal with the headache of failure to pay, wrecked car, possible re-possession. And they have processes that better allow them to assess the risk through credit checks and they have actuarial tables to assess the risk. They probably have contracts with repo agents to go take a car back. They have the added leverage of being able to adversely impact the dead beat buyers credit. They get notified by the insurance company of the buyer stops paying the car insurance.
    Many of these resources are either unavailable to a breeder of horses or much harder for them to do. The breeder may or may not be charging interest but the bank is getting interest and late penalties if applicable. If the buyer wants the convenience of paying over time and not getting a personal loan through a bank then he may need to suck it up and give up his full care, custody and control of the horse until it is fully his.

If the horse is still at the breeders farm they can word the contract so that if the buyer fails to make the regular payments they forfeit the prior payments and full ownership reverts to the breeder. It makes it much more complicated if the breeder has to try to physically repossess the horse. What happens if the buyer has moved the horse to an undisclosed location? Or if the horse is now lame? Or horse has had its training wrecked? This is why many people either won't lease a horse off-site or won't lease at all.

If the horse stays at the breeder's farm until the horse is paid for in full the breeder can continue to make sure the horse is appropriately fed, turned out and handled. The breeder does not have to worry about getting a court order to repossess the horse, finding the horse and actually being able to repossess the horse. Repossessing the horse may include getting the local law enforcement involved to go with the shipper when the horse is picked up. You get rid of much of that hassle if the horse stays in your possession until it is fully paid for and if there is a good contract in place. IMO the breeder is smart to keep possession of the horse to help mitigate risk until the horse is paid in full.

OP- I think you were smart to tell this potential buyer no. As far as responding to his demand to pay for his expenses there are a few ways that you could handle it. 1. ignore it and see if he continues to push the issue 2. respond that he will not be reimbursed for expenses that he chose to incur 3. send it to an attorney for them to respond to him. Obviously if the farm already has a relationship with an attorney for say sales contracts/boarding contracts/breeding contracts that makes it much easier.

Leave a comment:

• Mara
    replied
    Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Document everything he has sent you so far and then block him.

Don't respond.

​​​​​​I think it's possible he was setting up this kind of scam from the start, whether it's just because he is crazy or whether he has actually extorted the occasional $100 bill out of exasperated sellers.

I think he has visions of $$$$....probably planned to pay for the horse from the money he "made" selling in-utero foals.

Because of course OP would have NO problem overseeing the breeding of a horse that hasn't been paid for yet. A 2yo, no less. (Hey, I've heard crazier, as have most horse people!)
    Last edited by Mara; Jan. 28, 2020, 01:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Where'sMyWhite
    replied
    Guilherme I'd have just looked for a different breeder. In the many purebred dogs I've owned in my life, I've never see a contract with the language you mention.

The closest mine came was the breeder was part owner but the dog was still mine to do with what I wish with the exception of registering any offspring with AKC without the co-owners permission

Leave a comment:

• Guilherme
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparrowette View Post
    OP, I'm confused. In my perhaps faulty understanding, I don't see in your posts if the contract states when ownership of the horse actually changes. Boarding and other costs are required after deposit, mortality insurance recommended, so it sounds like ownership transfers at deposit, but if so, couldn't they just take their horse? If ownership transfers at payment in full, then they are paying these fees (boarding, medical & insurance) for a horse that they don't own yet.

Can someone clear this up for me?
    If there is a contract that states when ownership transfers in any sort of transaction then that's when it transfers. If post-transfer duties are imposed by the contract then they are valid until the contract says they are no longer required. People are pretty much free to contract any way they wish.

But the above can have limits. Sometimes a contractual clause can be found to be over-reaching or otherwise "unfair." The burden to establish this is not a light one in most cases. Freedom of Contract usually means what it says.

If there is no contract then you must look to the common or statutory law of the jurisdiction involved to answer questions of when ownership begins and who has the right to take custody and when risk of loss passes.

Personally, any contract that restricts my right to exercise full care, custody, and control of something I buy will be VERY carefully considered. Some time back my wife was interested in getting a Bernese Mt. Dog. We bred these in the early to mid-'70s and really like the breed. So I did some search and found the purchase process to be beyond ridiculous. It was more difficult than adopting children!* I understand the motivation to not want to sell animals into an abusive situation but levels of documentation and background information were intrusive beyond any possible justification. Then there were the limits on selling the dog after the purchase.** We abandoned the project rather quickly.

G.

*Which we did...twice.

**Much of the verbiage in these requirements were in the form of "adoption," not "purchase." We know the difference. You "adopt" children and they become legally your responsibility and your heirs. You purchase animals. You then become responsible to follow the humane laws of your jurisdiction. But you also are free to sell, euthanize, or otherwise dispose of them.

Leave a comment:

• Dressurfrau
    replied
    I'm sure you care very much about where your horses go so good on you for not completing the sale.

Leave a comment:

• Gardenhorse
    replied
    OP, I'm confused. In my perhaps faulty understanding, I don't see in your posts if the contract states when ownership of the horse actually changes. Boarding and other costs are required after deposit, mortality insurance recommended, so it sounds like ownership transfers at deposit, but if so, couldn't they just take their horse? If ownership transfers at payment in full, then they are paying these fees (boarding, medical & insurance) for a horse that they don't own yet.

If the buyer paid in full at the time of purchase, ownership would transfer immediately, and breeder would have no more expenses.

If the buyer wants convenience of payment plan, ownership does not transfer until full payment is received. In the meantime, horse stays at breeder’s farm, and future owner pays all expenses. I assume the staying at breeder’s farm is so that breeder can be sure of getting their full payment without the hassle of having to sue the buyer and/or send them to a collections agency.

Leave a comment:

• alibi_18
    replied
    She was grieving. Anger is a part of the process. I'm sure that after a while, some of what you told her sunk in.
    I know.
    But clearly, she was also badly surrounded. Very limited in veterinary knowledge... I just hope she will never ever try to put a tube down any of her horses...

Leave a comment:

• Sparrowette
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sparrowette
    replied
    Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
    Hopefully Mr. Important Pants will just disappear up his own butthurt butt! What a doofus!
    "Mr. Important Pants" would be a good name for a Stallion..

Leave a comment:

• Sparrowette
    replied
    Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
    When I was working in a tack shop someone came in to buy a tube and some mineral oil.

She wanted to be prepared in case one of her other horses would be fine if ever they had a colic.
    She was quite angry at her vet.

One of her horse had just died of colic.
    Her friend had told her the vet should have tubed her horse with oil and it would have survived.
    She wanted to sue the vet... has she felt the vet hadn’t followed basic protocol...

I was quite stunned.
    And asked for the « full » story...

Older horse had been down in the field when the vet arrived.
    Didn’t knew for how long - those were pasture horses who get checked once or twice a day at best.

Vet couldn’t get the horse up and offered to euthanized it on the spot. No autopsy/necropsy done.

I had to explain to the lady that one could not tube a horse if it wasn’t standing.
    I also tried to explain that mineral oil is no magic cure; « colics » being a generic term used for many ailments.
    It could have been a gaz colic, a torsion or an impaction... or anything else actually... a internal cancer that bursted...

I then explained the procedure ... that the vet would have had to empty the horse’s stomach first before pumping oil in there, only if it was an impaction. or pumping gaz-x stuff to remove the gaz buildup.

I also made it clear that tubing a horse wasn’t that easy! That she should never, ever attempt it without learning how do to it because she could very well kill her horse by doing so! Imagine pumping oil in your horse’s lungs!

Long story short, she still was pissed we had no tube or pump to sell her...
    She left with a gallon of mineral oil and a big oral syringe, and told me I should mind my business.

I wouldn’t want to be her vet, sell her a horse or do horse related business with such uneducated cray-cray.

Life is too short.
    You dodged a bullet.
    She was grieving. Anger is a part of the process. I'm sure that after a while, some of what you told her sunk in.

Leave a comment:

• lorilu
    replied
    I once told folks that I would not sell them a horse because I had the same gut feeling after similar questions. They tried to bully me into selling him...... but I don't bully easily. Just say no and send him on his way.

Leave a comment:

• Scribbler
    replied
    Originally posted by BrokenArrow View Post
    Well, the crazy continues. I seriously don't know how I attract the crazy people in my life.

I got a bill this morning from him as he wanted me to reimburse him for his travel costs and time since I took the fillies off the market. The email was along the lines of, he is a very important business man and his time is too valuable to be wasted by the likes of people like me. Cue my eyes rolling into the back of my skull as I read the email.

Part of me is tempted to send him a bill for my time with all his phone calls, emails and text messages I've had to reply to while this has been going on. Every time he called, it was a minimum of an hour on the phone trying to answer his questions. I work odd hours and when people ring me at 9pm and then consistently ring 3 or 4 times when I don't answer is exhausting. I'm not a pro anymore. I gave it up because of the one person like this who ruins it for everyone else.

Everything is being kept track of if he does decide to pursue it further. Part of me thinks this is simply hot air and someone who's butthurt. But better to be prepared if his brand of crazy is a little crazier than usual.
    Document everything he has sent you so far and then block him.

Don't respond.

​​​​​​I think it's possible he was setting up this kind of scam from the start, whether it's just because he is crazy or whether he has actually extorted the occasional $100 bill out of exasperated sellers.

Leave a comment:

• Sansena
    replied
    Originally posted by CanteringCarrot View Post
    This is just my personal opinion, but it is not your problem that a buyer decided to come to you. It is not your problem that he incurred travel costs. He could have looked locally. Or acknowledged that is a risk. One can travel to go look at a horse, not sign any contract or bill of sale. While said person is going back and forther over whether or not they want to purchase the horse, the horse could be sold. That's real life.

If he was serious he could have left a deposit. Could have set up a vet check.

I understand that he had questions, but also simply could not acknowledge that with horses, there are very, very, few guarantees. One cannot guarantee the horse won't colic, get struck by lightening, be involved in some freak event. One cannot also guarantee that said young horse will increase in value or ranking in the breed registry. Buying a horse is a heck of a risk. You can do your due diligence, but at the end of the day, it is an animal.

A buyer can choose not to buy. A seller can choose not to sell. This excludes contractual obligations, of course. This referes to before a deal is done sort of thing.

He's going to have to cut his losses and move along. Or maybe he will be so sour he will no longer shop for a horse (that might be ideal, really). Who knows. Don't contact him. If he is serious, his lawyer will contact you, and you will then acquire council/legal advisement.

Just my 2 cents. I hope that nothing further comes of this and that if you choose to continue selling horses the crazies stay away.
    I take back what I posted before. This is the best advice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X