Sport Horse Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

Massey_web2

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Buyer throwing up red flags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phew! Hopefully, he'll only be a short term p.i.t.a. now that you've told him they're no longer available. Agreed, you've dodged a bullet (and more) getting out of this sale I think you already went above and beyond trying to be accommodating to his 'out there' questions, changing tales and "if it's your fault if the horse colics". Yeesh!

Comment

Ugh I would have been concerned about the 2 year old to a total non-horse person and no trainer to begin with. You don't need a reason not to sell to a bad match. Just no.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenArrow View Post

The contract is stated that the buyer is responsible for all vet costs it is highly recommended they take out mortality insurance. That wasn't the issue.

His wording was "Well what if it's your fault if they get hurt or sick?" And then he said he wouldn't be paying for vet bills for colic if it's our fault the horse colics. That's what caught me off guard. It felt like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen for us if the horse so much as scratches herself.

The issue was more about the story constantly changing about what he wanted. I'm more than happy to help people wade through the minefield of gradings and the other confusing things when it comes to Friesians. But both the fillies were advertised as their respective books, it was explained to him several times and I even got other people who are much more knowledgable than me to help him get his head around it. I'm not going to guarantee the 2 year old will be a Ster at the next Keuring as he wanted to be written into the contract.

He doesn't have a trainer. The area he lives in has an abundance of extremely good trainers as well which I recommended him to as well as suggesting lessons.

I told him this morning the fillies are no longer available to purchase. He's VERY unhappy with this which makes me glad about our brand new security system after the run in with the nutty neighbor. I feel like I've dodged a bullet with this one.
        My apologies for misunderstanding and thank you for clarifying. I agree with your decision not to sell the horses this party. Liability concerns aside, I think you could see that this guy was not well positioned to have a successful experience with these horses after purchasing them, no matter what happened. And then, it would be your fault or someone else's fault, depending on the particulars of how it played out.

Now, just a brief sidebar. Aside from this guy (who seemed to have an unpleasant manner and unrealistic expectations) I don't think the basic question he asked is a bad one. I am a BO and responsible for valuable horses belonging to other parties and I periodically have perfectly reasonable clients ask me about difficult questions related to "what happens if." When you are caring for someone else's valuable animal/s, it is perfectly reasonable for them to want assurances that their animal will be well cared for, and to want to know what their recourse is if a farm or facility is negligent in their care. Answering this question can result in a good discussion that results in a stronger partnership with a better educated client. I think that this is a good question for a BO or BM to be prepared to answer.

Comment

The contract is stated that the buyer is responsible for all vet costs it is highly recommended they take out mortality insurance. That wasn't the issue.

His wording was "Well what if it's your fault if they get hurt or sick?" And then he said he wouldn't be paying for vet bills for colic if it's our fault the horse colics. That's what caught me off guard. It felt like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen for us if the horse so much as scratches herself.

The issue was more about the story constantly changing about what he wanted. I'm more than happy to help people wade through the minefield of gradings and the other confusing things when it comes to Friesians. But both the fillies were advertised as their respective books, it was explained to him several times and I even got other people who are much more knowledgable than me to help him get his head around it. I'm not going to guarantee the 2 year old will be a Ster at the next Keuring as he wanted to be written into the contract.

He doesn't have a trainer. The area he lives in has an abundance of extremely good trainers as well which I recommended him to as well as suggesting lessons.

I told him this morning the fillies are no longer available to purchase. He's VERY unhappy with this which makes me glad about our brand new security system after the run in with the nutty neighbor. I feel like I've dodged a bullet with this one.
          Good! Glad you gave him the heave-ho, he sounds like a total yahoo.

Comment

I realize everyone has to start their education somewhere, but the folks that are quick to blame others for (of all things) colic just shows a willful ignorance that I refuse to deal with.

Google a horse's digestive system and you'll see there's no logical reason for it to work as well as it does half the time! Seriously, between impaction, displacement, lipoma, adhesions, colitis, salmonella and anything else that hits the teeth or later is mostly out of the caretaker's control.

Concur with the others who are relieved you gave him the heave ho. And I'm sure your fillies thank you too.

Comment

I'd also have trouble selling to someone who couldn't save the money before they started shopping for a horse, as I'd be worried that it was an impulsive purchase by someone who didn't have their first clue, and the horse would suffer for it.

Comment

When I was working in a tack shop someone came in to buy a tube and some mineral oil.

She wanted to be prepared in case one of her other horses would be fine if ever they had a colic.
                She was quite angry at her vet.

One of her horse had just died of colic.
                Her friend had told her the vet should have tubed her horse with oil and it would have survived.
                She wanted to sue the vet... has she felt the vet hadn’t followed basic protocol...

I was quite stunned.
                And asked for the « full » story...

Older horse had been down in the field when the vet arrived.
                Didn’t knew for how long - those were pasture horses who get checked once or twice a day at best.

Vet couldn’t get the horse up and offered to euthanized it on the spot. No autopsy/necropsy done.

I had to explain to the lady that one could not tube a horse if it wasn’t standing.
                I also tried to explain that mineral oil is no magic cure; « colics » being a generic term used for many ailments.
                It could have been a gaz colic, a torsion or an impaction... or anything else actually... a internal cancer that bursted...

I then explained the procedure ... that the vet would have had to empty the horse’s stomach first before pumping oil in there, only if it was an impaction. or pumping gaz-x stuff to remove the gaz buildup.

I also made it clear that tubing a horse wasn’t that easy! That she should never, ever attempt it without learning how do to it because she could very well kill her horse by doing so! Imagine pumping oil in your horse’s lungs!

Long story short, she still was pissed we had no tube or pump to sell her...
                She left with a gallon of mineral oil and a big oral syringe, and told me I should mind my business.

I wouldn’t want to be her vet, sell her a horse or do horse related business with such uneducated cray-cray.

Life is too short.
                You dodged a bullet.
                ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Quickly say " Bye, Bye, Buyer"!
                  Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
                    Older horse had been down in the field when the vet arrived.
                    Didn’t knew for how long - those were pasture horses who get checked once or twice a day at best.

Vet couldn’t get the horse up and offered to euthanized it on the spot. No autopsy/necropsy done.

I had to explain to the lady that one could not tube a horse if it wasn’t standing.
                    I also tried to explain that mineral oil is no magic cure; « colics » being a generic term used for many ailments.
                    It could have been a gaz colic, a torsion or an impaction... or anything else actually... a internal cancer that bursted...

I then explained the procedure ... that the vet would have had to empty the horse’s stomach first before pumping oil in there, only if it was an impaction. or pumping gaz-x stuff to remove the gaz buildup.
                    I didn't know a lying horse couldn't be tubed.

That's a bit of a relief from putting my mare down in 2018. Her former owner gave me a bit of a guilt trip about the vet not tubing her. She had gone down before the vet arrived and never got up again. Before she went down the last time she had been moving her hind end around her front end and going down periodically. She was soaked with sweat in 40*F weather wearing a sheet and I felt she had been through enough pain, plus I thought it was not safe to be near her when she was vertical.

That's fine, many of us have slid down this slippery slope and became very happy (and broke) doing it. We may not have a retirement, but we have memories ...

Comment

For awhile there, about 10 years ago, there was a rage for Friesians in the U.S. The most amazingly horse-ignorant people bought themselves either a Friesian mare or a stallion, and thought they'd be retiring soon in riches because this Bank of Friesian would be allowing them to rake in the money.

I boarded at a barn that purchased a 10-breedings contract with a Friesian stallion somewhere out in the boonies of Minnesota. They then took their godawful mares out to produce the 'Friesian cross' horses of their dreams, every one of which turned out to be as godawful as their dams and had nothing of their sire.

OP, I'm so glad you cut off this purchaser. I would have been very worried about the conditions and care.

Comment

I just don't sell my horses to people that don't "sit right" with me!! This buyer strikes me as being more trouble than the average buyer...I'd shut him down...no reason necessary..."Sorry the horse is no longer available...Good bye!"
                        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, the crazy continues. I seriously don't know how I attract the crazy people in my life.

I got a bill this morning from him as he wanted me to reimburse him for his travel costs and time since I took the fillies off the market. The email was along the lines of, he is a very important business man and his time is too valuable to be wasted by the likes of people like me. Cue my eyes rolling into the back of my skull as I read the email.

Part of me is tempted to send him a bill for my time with all his phone calls, emails and text messages I've had to reply to while this has been going on. Every time he called, it was a minimum of an hour on the phone trying to answer his questions. I work odd hours and when people ring me at 9pm and then consistently ring 3 or 4 times when I don't answer is exhausting. I'm not a pro anymore. I gave it up because of the one person like this who ruins it for everyone else.

Everything is being kept track of if he does decide to pursue it further. Part of me thinks this is simply hot air and someone who's butthurt. But better to be prepared if his brand of crazy is a little crazier than usual.
                          Not my circus, not my monkeys!

Comment

Wow. So sorry you've got this to contend with, BA! My guess is you're right -- he's butthurt and trying to scare you. There's nothing to his complaint. He'd be laughed out of court if it got that far.

What a jerk.

Comment

Falls firmly under the category of "Cant' make this shyte up". Do you have a lawyer friend who specializes in equine law?
                              I'd definitely send a counter bill for YOUr time WRT answering redundant/ amateur/ ignorant questions. Preferably on lawyer friend's letterhead.

Especially if he can GOOGLE THE ANSWERS!!!
                              **snort**

I kill me..

Comment

ignore this billing BS .... you owe him nothing !

do not engage with him ... in any form

he will disappear
                                Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Hopefully Mr. Important Pants will just disappear up his own butthurt butt! What a doofus!

Comment

Well, the crazy continues. I seriously don't know how I attract the crazy people in my life.

I got a bill this morning from him as he wanted me to reimburse him for his travel costs and time since I took the fillies off the market. The email was along the lines of, he is a very important business man and his time is too valuable to be wasted by the likes of people like me. Cue my eyes rolling into the back of my skull as I read the email.

Part of me is tempted to send him a bill for my time with all his phone calls, emails and text messages I've had to reply to while this has been going on. Every time he called, it was a minimum of an hour on the phone trying to answer his questions. I work odd hours and when people ring me at 9pm and then consistently ring 3 or 4 times when I don't answer is exhausting. I'm not a pro anymore. I gave it up because of the one person like this who ruins it for everyone else.

Everything is being kept track of if he does decide to pursue it further. Part of me thinks this is simply hot air and someone who's butthurt. But better to be prepared if his brand of crazy is a little crazier than usual.
                                    Another vote for just ignoring his e-mail and not to engage with him further.

There is no point in countering and sending him a bill for your time. You won't collect anything but you might incite him enough to escalate the situation. Totally not worth it.

I'll share a somewhat related story. Many years ago, we had a 3' horse for sale. Several people wanted to try him over the weekend at a show and another family wanted to try him the following Monday at our barn. Sunday rolls around and the poor horse has jumped so much he is visibly exhausted. We call the Monday appointment and tell them we would like to reschedule. Horse was tried by other customers, showed in classes and he needs a day or two off. Trainer tries to argue every which way to keep the appointment. We gently decline. Trainer wants to know what else in the barn is for sale. We tell her and she decides she would like to come and try a 3'6" horse (for a different client) on Monday.

Monday rolls around and the trainer arrives WITH the family that is interested in the 3' horse. No point in making a scene so we gently tell the trainer the trial has to be short and sweet. The horse is tired. The daughter tries the 3' horse and everything goes well. Tuesday AM arrives and the vet shows up and informs us he is pulling blood on the 3' horse at the request of the trainer who tried him on Monday. Okay. Usually a trainer asks before they send the vet out, but okay. Whatever. We tell the vet the 3' horse had bute Sunday night (after we had "cancelled" the appointment) and that will show up on the results. Vet says he will let the client know. Trainer calls the next the day and asks to do a PPE. PPE is performed and the vet finds a spur in his hock and the family decide to pass. Okay. Disappointing outcome, but the horse is performing his job and we won't have a problem selling him to someone else.

A few days later the dad sends me an e-mail demanding I reimburse him for the cost of the PPE. He stated the horse failed the PPE. We didn't disclose the spur (I guess were have x-ray vision?) and oh by the way, his blood test showed he had received bute. The dad went on to say we were horrible, dishonest people and we put his daughter at risk by letting her ride a horse that had received "pain killers" (bute). Daughter could have been seriously hurt, we need to pay for failed PPE. He is a busy man and had to take off work to try the horse, daughter had to skip school, we have to pay for PPE. I wanted to fire off an e-mail letting him know he was ill-informed and his trainers weren't communicating with him, but I knew that was pointless. I ignored his e-mail, but fifteen years later, it still annoys me.

Comment

I have refused to sell a cow or sheep to people that didn't seem right. A beginner willing to learn is good. A beginner that knows it all is bad.

Your bad buyer might think the horses were already sold when he looked at them. Perhaps you should clarify when they were sold (or taken off the market). Since he fussed so much about no written guarantee that they will pass their evaluations, maybe you chose to keep them until they are older, have more evaluations, and worth even more?

Comment

This is just my personal opinion, but it is not your problem that a buyer decided to come to you. It is not your problem that he incurred travel costs. He could have looked locally. Or acknowledged that is a risk. One can travel to go look at a horse, not sign any contract or bill of sale. While said person is going back and forther over whether or not they want to purchase the horse, the horse could be sold. That's real life.

If he was serious he could have left a deposit. Could have set up a vet check.

I understand that he had questions, but also simply could not acknowledge that with horses, there are very, very, few guarantees. One cannot guarantee the horse won't colic, get struck by lightening, be involved in some freak event. One cannot also guarantee that said young horse will increase in value or ranking in the breed registry. Buying a horse is a heck of a risk. You can do your due diligence, but at the end of the day, it is an animal.

A buyer can choose not to buy. A seller can choose not to sell. This excludes contractual obligations, of course. This referes to before a deal is done sort of thing.

He's going to have to cut his losses and move along. Or maybe he will be so sour he will no longer shop for a horse (that might be ideal, really). Who knows. Don't contact him. If he is serious, his lawyer will contact you, and you will then acquire council/legal advisement.

Just my 2 cents. I hope that nothing further comes of this and that if you choose to continue selling horses the crazies stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by CanteringCarrot View Post
                                          This is just my personal opinion, but it is not your problem that a buyer decided to come to you. It is not your problem that he incurred travel costs. He could have looked locally. Or acknowledged that is a risk. One can travel to go look at a horse, not sign any contract or bill of sale. While said person is going back and forther over whether or not they want to purchase the horse, the horse could be sold. That's real life.

If he was serious he could have left a deposit. Could have set up a vet check.

I understand that he had questions, but also simply could not acknowledge that with horses, there are very, very, few guarantees. One cannot guarantee the horse won't colic, get struck by lightening, be involved in some freak event. One cannot also guarantee that said young horse will increase in value or ranking in the breed registry. Buying a horse is a heck of a risk. You can do your due diligence, but at the end of the day, it is an animal.

A buyer can choose not to buy. A seller can choose not to sell. This excludes contractual obligations, of course. This referes to before a deal is done sort of thing.

He's going to have to cut his losses and move along. Or maybe he will be so sour he will no longer shop for a horse (that might be ideal, really). Who knows. Don't contact him. If he is serious, his lawyer will contact you, and you will then acquire council/legal advisement.

Just my 2 cents. I hope that nothing further comes of this and that if you choose to continue selling horses the crazies stay away.
                                          I take back what I posted before. This is the best advice

Comment

Working...
                                          X