Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Changes to Riding Warehouse shipping prices and minimums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to Riding Warehouse shipping prices and minimums?

I just went to order something from Riding Warehouse - my go-to online tack store - for the first time since early December and noticed that the minimum for free shipping is now $75 (the same as Smartpak, unless you subscribe to Smartpaks, in which case shipping is always free), and the supplement for 2-day shipping, which used to be an amazing deal at $5, is now a very typical and only-when-absolutely-necessary $15. As far as I know, unless I missed something, this was slipped in without any announcement, which makes me extremely grumpy - I’ve always loved RW for their great customer service, responsiveness, and honest dealings among other things, and the fact that they didn’t make this change in an above-board fashion makes me struggle not to feel a little less kindly inclined toward them.

Plus I’m just so disappointed. I like buying from them so much; for years I’ve used them almost exclusively except for those few items I needed that they don’t offer,. Hell, I’d probably be willing to buy a “Riding Warehouse Prime” subscription if they offered one, in order to get free fast shipping all the time lol!! But for me there’s much less reason to always order from them now, with such a high free shipping threshold and regular slow shipping speeds (esp on the east coast, since they’re on the west). Sometimes I need things faster than that.

i guess it was too good to last.

I noticed that too, however, they did give me a free return shipping lable and free shipping back on my exchange item.

Comment

Originally posted by js View Post
      I noticed that too, however, they did give me a free return shipping lable and free shipping back on my exchange item.
      It's only free if you're already in California, unless I'm reading the instructions wrong.

I am also really disappointed in their new free shipping policy. I often ordered more from them because they had a lower minimum. Now I'll shop around.
      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

I often ordered more from them because they had a lower minimum. Now I'll shop around.
        Exactly. I used to go straight to them, but no more. I already today bought something elsewhere I’d formerly have gone straight to RW for. And there’s less of a reason for me now not to buy from smarttpak, from which I get free shipping on everything even if it takes forever (though to be fair RW generally has better prices and offers sale prices on more items - we’ll see if that changes too).

Again, I feel it’s a pretty extensive bunch of changes, and a big alteration to their long-touted business model, to try to slip past and hope no one notices.

Comment

I always felt like Riding warehouse had slow shipping, but given that it was free if above $50 it made up for things.

That's also a huge jump to go from $5 two day shipping to $15

Also, Smartpak ships free if you order smartpaks or if you have the barn buddy program.
          http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've literally never seen an announcement from any retail company when they change their shipping policies and prices. Is this actually something people expect?

Comment

It's only free if you're already in California, unless I'm reading the instructions wrong.

From the Riding Warehouse site:
              Free Return Shipping

• Free return shipping is available for orders shipped within the 48 contiguous United States. Exceptions include oversized items and drop ship items.

Comment

I will still use them. $75 isn't hard to reach as a minimum, and they always ship fast to me (WA state) so I've never needed to upgrade to faster shipping. If I'm close to that minimum, I can always find something like cookies or salt blocks to bump it up. I'm totally sympathetic to them raising the minimum and the extra as shipping costs have really gone up - I'm trying to sell some things on eBay right now, which I haven't done in over a year, and am SHOCKED at how much the shipping is these days. High enough that my "donate" box is getting way more full than my "sell" box as I'm cleaning out my tack room.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post
                  I've literally never seen an announcement from any retail company when they change their shipping policies and prices. Is this actually something people expect?
                  Yes I definitely have. Not necessarily for a standard incremental increase in shipping fees, but I can certainly recall instances where a company notified me that due.to increases in their shipping costs or whatever, they were in a position of having to increase the fees they charged customers, sometimes with an explanation that they weren't making a profit on shipping or were only charging actual costs etc etc.
                  ​​​​​​
                  As a other example, Amazon Prime notifies me every year when they increase the cost of Prime membership, which includes other things but whose primary cost to Amazon is "free" 2-day air, from what I understand.

In a situation like this, where the shipping policy has been one cornerstone on which it bases its distinction from and superiority to other similar online retailers, yes I do expect some sort of explanation when they eliminate 2 of the 3 fundamental elements of that policy ($75 minimum, $5 upgrade, free returns for a year).

And to me it only makes sense, when you eliminate a huge reason for your customers' loyalty (even - or especially! - if you have a good reason for it), to do something to try to maintain the good will you built up, rather than just sneak it in and hope it won't make a difference...

Comment

Sure, a notification of increase to a yearly subscription to active members makes sense. But to just arbitrarily send a message to all past customers to tell them shipping policies have changed isn't something I'd expect or deem necessary.

Comment

I just placed an order this week and didn't notice, but even though I was only intending to get a few tubes Ulcergard a few other things found their way into my cart so it was over $75. I'm in CA and got it overnight. I also appreciate that they don't have freight charges for supplements.
                      http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post
                        Sure, a notification of increase to a yearly subscription to active members makes sense. But to just arbitrarily send a message to all past customers to tell them shipping policies have changed isn't something I'd expect or deem necessary.
                        How about something on their FB page, or on their shipping policies page? How about a note in one of their periodic emails if you’re on their mailing list? It’s not hard - businesses communicate in all sorts of ways! And I consider this more than just an everyday “change in shipping policies” - these policies have been there, as far as I can recall, since RW started, and are a not-insignificant part of what they’ve built their brand on. The changes are major enough to potentially alter my shopping behavior and loyalties. So once again, yes, I do expect them to offer me the courtesy of an explanation if they want a chance of keeping that loyalty.

Comment

I am also really disappointed in their new free shipping policy. I often ordered more from them because they had a lower minimum. Now I'll shop around.
                          That's what my return label said too; however, I'm not in California and I wasn't charged anything. In fact got a $1.94 refund because the exchange item was $1.94 less.

Comment

Originally posted by Amordoro View Post
                            …...As a other example, Amazon Prime notifies me every year when they increase the cost of Prime membership, which includes other things but whose primary cost to Amazon is "free" 2-day air, from what I understand......
                            This is why I initially got an Amazon Prime membership; however, Amazon cannot provide 2-day air delivery where I live. They never mentioned that the 2-day air may not be available to all locations, so I canceled my prime membership. I can get free shipping anyway, just have to accept the 5-7 day delivery, which is what it took to get the prime membership 2 day air delivery.

I still use Smart Pak a lot but their shipping has become slow and when multiple items are ordered often they are shipped separately and at different times. I'll get a huge box with a tiny item stuck in the middle of a box full of bubble wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Amordoro View Post
                              I’ve always loved RW for their great customer service, responsiveness, and honest dealings among other things, and the fact that they didn’t make this change in an above-board fashion makes me struggle not to feel a little less kindly inclined toward them.
                              Does this make their customer service any less great? Are they less responsive and more dishonest now due to a change in shipping policy?

What in your book is "above-board"? Does every private company you have done business with need to notify you of shipping policy changes? I don't get this "leap" of judgment. Are companies not allowed to make the business decisions needed to stay in the black? I guess they could start cutting customer service staff to keep the free ship minimum at $50...would that satisfy you?

FWIW, I am on the east coast and shop at RW because I can generally find a product cheaper (and in my cob sizes I always need) than at most places. I don't shop there for free shipping.

Comment

I always thought their minimum for free shipping was $75? Not that I could ever order and only spend $75 from there lol. I don't think it will change my business any. There aren't many shops that carry stuff for endurance and they are a huge supporter of my sport. Plus they have awesome customer service
                                No mourners, no funerals

Comment

Original Poster

I really don’t find it necessary to defend or justify how I’ve reacted to RW’s policy change and communication thereof. I did shop there in part for the free shipping and cheap 2-day air, and I *do* find the way they’ve handled it to be offputting and to make me inclined to shop around rather than to automatically use them as I have in the past. While I continue to recognize their current strong points, I have even less reason than before to believe I can rely on those; I suspect it’s just a matter of time until the unusually good customer service, free returns, etc, all fall victim to “business decisions needed to stay in the black.” Therefore, it is a fact that I will no longer have the same loyalty to RW that I once did.

It’s possible that RW could have mitigated this somewhat, *for me,* by handling the policy changes differently, even if they were unavoidable.

Comment

I love Riding Warehouse, and have always thought it was a $75 minimum for free shipping. I recently ordered winter riding tights that were out of stock and they were not getting any more back in stock. Not only did they send me an e-mail notification, but they called me to help find a replacement. Then they actually had the gall to get the order to me two days earlier than anticipated.

Riding Warehouse’s customer service, as well as their selection has always been stellar. I will continue to spend copious amounts of money there, much to my husband’s chagrin!
                                    "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

I'm trying to be sympathetic, really. I'm a loyal RW customer and when I went to their website to place an order, I VERY CLEARLY saw the new shipping minimum and change for the 2 day shipping neatly posted on their HOME PAGE, where their shipping costs have always been listed.

You want a shock, go to USPS and check out their upcoming price hike.

It is what it is. Shit's expensive. USPS didn't send out a letter to every single person who has a mailbox that shipping fees are going up.

FWIW, I heard that RW is no longer offering any 20% off coupon codes and their new standard is 15%. More fodder for your panties-in-a-wad rant.

Editing to add: are small businesses supposed to absorb increasing costs, rather than pass them onto their customers? Our favorite small businesses wouldn't stay in business very long that way...
                                      Last edited by Jo; Jan. 20, 2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Three years ago it cost me about $75 for the round trip via UPS to send my saddle to the fitter in Connecticut. It's about 200 miles. This year it was about $115. The one benefit to UPS is that most packages in New England are usually delivered the next day except during the holidays. That information came from a UPS driver. It worked a couple of weeks ago from upstate New York.

We have a tack store here in Maine with an excellent online reputation. Their free shipping kicks in at $100. The owner told me that she tried dropping free shipping to $75 but couldn't do it. She would have been out of business within a few months.

"With hardly any other living being can a human connect as closely over so many years as a rider can with her horse." Isabell Werth, Four Legs Move My Soul. 2019

Comment

Working...
                                        X