Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 emaciated horses abandoned at New Holland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 emaciated horses abandoned at New Holland

https://netposse.com/news.asp?id=393...gsfqBf8jZCNRwM

If Thelma and/ or Louise look familiar to you and you're within commuting distance, please get in touch with the authorities.

Poor babies
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

thing is they look like good basic types that would probably be welcome in many stable. Some TLC might make 2 gems.
      _\\]
      -- * > hoopoe
      Procrastinate NOW
      Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Only bad, bad words come to mind!

Comment

• Original Poster

If any of you are on social media, please share the link so the dumpers can be held accountable. Thanks.

Comment

It SUCKS, don't get me wrong, but at least they dumped them where someone could do something...one was dumped not far from here, and the horse was so emaciated and weak that it was just lying by the side of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by RubyTuesday View Post
              It SUCKS, don't get me wrong, but at least they dumped them where someone could do something...one was dumped not far from here, and the horse was so emaciated and weak that it was just lying by the side of the road.
              Agreed. It would have been preferable if the owner had reached out for help, but honestly, some people have no one to help them.

Glad they ended up somewhere rather than just eating bark off the trees in their bare pasture.

Comment

Poor girls. The owner should have dropped them off sooner.

Comment

Are they even allowed to auction them off without an owner?

Comment

Originally posted by Mango20 View Post
                    They're supposed to be "fit to work"
                    I'd guess those prevalent, but that's never stopped them before.
                    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Originally posted by Mango20 View Post
                      They weren't auctioned off, they are with the PSPCA in Philly now. I doubt they were left there with the intention to have them auctioned. It was probably just a convenient place to dump them.
                      Flickr

Comment

I have a feeling some of you will laugh at me for asking this- but doesn't an auction place as big as New Holland have a few cameras? At least at the gate?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth0552 View Post
                          I have a feeling some of you will laugh at me for asking this- but doesn't an auction place as big as New Holland have a few cameras? At least at the gate?
                          It's been quite a while since I have been there but back then they were definitely behind the times with old school paper accounting and the facility has older lights, no cameras and no infrastructure for cameras. I doubt they would spend the money on them. They aren't worried about property theft so no incentive to put cameras up. A lot of patrons are older horse dealers or Amish. It was never some fancy state of the art place, it's a place to auction livestock and farm equipment. Horses, cattle, pigs, hay, etc are all auctioned there. It is a rather large faacility and relatively clean but definitely older.

The two horses look like the time that used to be auctioned there in the late 80's/early 90's - before the state cracked down. Then vets started showing up and making sure there weren't emanciated horses, gaping wounds, etc. These two may have been abandoned because they were refused entry to be auctioned. Back in the day, the horse dealer I used to hang out with would swoop in and grab horses like this. He would put thim in his pasture for a bit then bring him to the stables where I took lessons and they would go into the lesson program.

Comment

There's not really a gate - it's sort of in/on the edge of town, no perimeter fence and many, many doors/gates into the complex of buildings. They would need an extensive camera system to cover everything. They might also be less likely to put up cameras because of the large number of Amish who go there.

Plus then the people just might have dumped them somewhere else where they would be less likely to get help.
                            Flickr

Comment

They would lose the Amish as clientele. The Amish wouldn't put up with being filmed.

Comment

Working...
                              X