Sport Horse Spotlight

Carinjo Jumping 1

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Link for Search

Since our sidebar with the Search feature has been dealing with poltergeists, and tech support may be a little wonky, here's a direct link to the Advanced Search feature for relative convenience:

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/advanced_search
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Bathtub Method for Fabbri VEG Boots?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chillydc
    started a topic Bathtub Method for Fabbri VEG Boots?

Bathtub Method for Fabbri VEG Boots?

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone out there has tried the bathtub method on Vegan leather boots? These need to drop quite a bit and I am game for trying it. However, I am not sure if it will have any ill effects on the leather. The manufacturer was pleasant but I do not think he understood the question. If anyone has done it, please come forward. If it turns out that no one has done it, and if I decide to, I will report back on the results. Good night all.
    Last edited by chillydc; Jan. 14, 2020, 02:02 PM. Reason: Edited title for clarity.

• chillydc
    replied
    Hi Guilherme , I will not be doing it on these boots, I was on the fence before this thread and now I am for sure it is a bad idea. I rode in them and did some barn chores in them today, just got in now. I think they will be fine. There is a spot on my ankle that is a little rubbed but that is par for the course in breaking in boots. I did not zip them up the last inch yesterday and that seemed to help the ankle flex a bit more. Today, I zipped them all the way.

As far as buying stuff in January, that is true! Nothing leather feels too nice in January. I am loving being south for a few weeks though Enjoy your boots!

Leave a comment:

• Guilherme
    replied
    Just to be clear the "soak" or "bathtub" method does work with leather but I've never known it to work with synthetics. With those you might (note the conditional) be able to get a very small amount of stretch "up" using a "dry" method but won't get anything down.

I've got a new pair of work boots sitting in my closet waiting for a day when I can "wet" them and then condition them for wear. Buying leather boots in January is just not that good an idea!!!

G.

Leave a comment:

• chillydc
    replied
    Guilherme , they are not custom, though I was measured and chose the size that was closest with the advice of the tack store. Both of my pairs of custom boots required a little bit of break in time so I am not worried about these dropping as long as they do what the manufacturer says they will (which I will know soon enough). I do not plan on ever wearing the winter socks under these boots. I have another pair of boots that are looser that I will wear if I need to deal with very cold tempuratures and look respectable while doing it. I bought them when I was still growing and they were built with more room in the foot in case I grew, now they are convenient if I need layers.

Good to know that bathtub method does in fact work.

I am aware that "primarily" can cover lots of sins. There are sins in just about everything humans do so we have to pick which sins we prefer to commit.

Leave a comment:

• Guilherme
    replied
    Originally posted by chillydc View Post
    Hi All,

I have only ridden in them 4 times and so far they are breaking in the way normal boots would. Better each time, they are comfortable when riding, I would just like to get to the phase where they are comfortable to be walking around for extended periods in. I have never tried the bathtub method but it and variations of it often come up here and amongst others, though I am not sure if it is more of an urban legend or if many people actually do it. I figured I would ask to see if anyone has tried with these. I will not be trying it, I am not quite that much of a risk taker.

Definitely NOT an "urban legend." I did it for the first time in 1966 with a pair of Navy "boondockers." I've done it on multiple occasions, since, with off the shelf boots. I've never had to do it with custom made boots.

The reason I am hoping to break them in a little quicker is that I have some shows coming up in the next few weeks and my old pair (bought in 2005 so they have served me very well and are very comfortable at this point) have some worn out spots near the stitching of the toe cap where they are threatening to rip the rest of the way and I want to be able to use the new ones if needed (not an area that can be repaired on the old ones). I should have been more diligent about wearing the new boots more before this week but the weather was pretty brisk where I live and I broke out the thick winter socks which only fit under my paddock boots and 1/2 chaps.

Break in a pair of boots, any boots, with the sox you will routinely wear under them. It really does make a difference in fit. If you "wet form" a pair of leather boots with a pair of heavy sox they will not fit well if you subsequently use lighter sox. And if you form with the light sox you'll know it when you try a pair of heavy ones. In this sense it's akin to fitting a saddle!

Fabbri does state that they will break in similarly to normal leather boots and that is why you buy them a little high, like you would regular boots. I know that these are new materials and people (including me) are skeptical but I decided to try them out because I like the idea. So far, so good. Reviews from others have stated that they did break in nicely. My pair is fitted correctly to my measurements, I ordered them after being measured at the tack store. I will say they look and feel like real leather and the care for them is less involved than leather boots. Just wipe with water. As tack cleaning (any cleaning actually) is not where I really shine, that appealed to me and went in the plus column. The boot does not have any reinforcing material.

Are these "bespoke" or "custom"? If the former they should fit perfectly out of the box. If they don't then they're not right; send them back. If the latter then they should be REAL close but will usually take some breaking in.

If there is a rep at the show, I will ask more about the manufacturing, if anyone here would like me to. My understanding from the tack store is that they are made primarily of plant material (apple skins and cotton) and not filled with plastics. One of their marketing points is that they are environmentally friendly though I am aware that such friendliness is probably exaggerated.
    How would one use cotton and apple skins to make a pair of boots without a fairly sophisticated processing which would include the use of resins and glue? That word "primarily" can cover a multitude of sins.

For the price of these things I'd expect a very high level of quality in finish and FIT!

G.

Leave a comment:

• chillydc
    replied
    Hi All,

I have only ridden in them 4 times and so far they are breaking in the way normal boots would. Better each time, they are comfortable when riding, I would just like to get to the phase where they are comfortable to be walking around for extended periods in. I have never tried the bathtub method but it and variations of it often come up here and amongst others, though I am not sure if it is more of an urban legend or if many people actually do it. I figured I would ask to see if anyone has tried with these. I will not be trying it, I am not quite that much of a risk taker.

The reason I am hoping to break them in a little quicker is that I have some shows coming up in the next few weeks and my old pair (bought in 2005 so they have served me very well and are very comfortable at this point) have some worn out spots near the stitching of the toe cap where they are threatening to rip the rest of the way and I want to be able to use the new ones if needed (not an area that can be repaired on the old ones). I should have been more diligent about wearing the new boots more before this week but the weather was pretty brisk where I live and I broke out the thick winter socks which only fit under my paddock boots and 1/2 chaps.

Fabbri does state that they will break in similarly to normal leather boots and that is why you buy them a little high, like you would regular boots. I know that these are new materials and people (including me) are skeptical but I decided to try them out because I like the idea. So far, so good. Reviews from others have stated that they did break in nicely. My pair is fitted correctly to my measurements, I ordered them after being measured at the tack store. I will say they look and feel like real leather and the care for them is less involved than leather boots. Just wipe with water. As tack cleaning (any cleaning actually) is not where I really shine, that appealed to me and went in the plus column. The boot does not have any reinforcing material.

If there is a rep at the show, I will ask more about the manufacturing, if anyone here would like me to. My understanding from the tack store is that they are made primarily of plant material (apple skins and cotton) and not filled with plastics. One of their marketing points is that they are environmentally friendly though I am aware that such friendliness is probably exaggerated.

Leave a comment:

• GraceLikeRain
    replied
    After googling and seeing the price I'd absolutely send them back for a different size. It is one thing to take a risk with a pair of $75 clearance boots that have an unknown response to water. At this price point that's a helluva lot of money to flush and I'm sure the manufacturer isn't going to comp new boots if you let yours swim away.

Leave a comment:

• GraceLikeRain
    replied
    Does the company make any claims about the material dropping over time? Thinking about the boots I have that are not cow leather, they are often reinforced or backed with a structured material that seems to prevent dropping. It could be that the boots need to be cut down behind the knee.

I would absolutely not do the bathtub method. It is questionable at best with cow leather and doesn't have consistent outcomes. I know a few pair of newer thin leather boots that did not come out of the bathtub looking as nice as when they went in.

How is this material care for long term? I imagine it doesn't need any oiling or conditioning. This complicates the ways that you can get the fibers to soften and break down.

Personally, I'd return for a different size or have the boots cut down.

Leave a comment:

• Guilherme
    replied
    They are not made from plastic or vinyl, the main component is derived from cotton. There is no glue involved. Yes, I have done a general search and contacted the Fabbri rep. I do not think that any boot company advocates the bathtub method and the advice I received was typical, just wear them until they are broken in. In hopes of making the process go a little faster, I wondered if anyone had tried that with these. They are breaking in the way any normal boot does.

Please note, I am not the one who made up the term "vegan leather", that is what the company calls it. I understand that it is a misleading term. I will edit the title of the thread.
    As Scribbler noted, I'm one of those who are amused by the "vegan leather" description.

The advice to "wear them until they are broken in" is just a "dry" method of "wet fitting." As your feet excrete moisture over time they will very slightly dampen the leather and it will form around the foot. That's what "breaking in" is in a genuine leather product. But if that product is not a material that you can "wet fit" you don't "dry fit" it, either. I'm deeply skeptical that it will "stretch" over time given my experience with good quality synthetic materials. I might well be wrong but I've a fair amount of experience in both leather and synthetics in foot gear. Leather will conform over time; I've yet to have a synthetic do that (and I'm almost 74 years old ).

Advice re synthetic materials: if they fit, buy them. If the don't, don't. Keep looking until you find something that does fit.

G.

Leave a comment:

• Beck
    replied
    Found an article from March 2019 about "frumat" - made from apple fibers. But it says the shoe leather is 50% polyurethane. http://www.technofashionworld.com/fr...e-from-apples/

Leave a comment:

• Scribbler
    replied
    Originally posted by demidq View Post
    Actually, there was an article in "Heels Down" last summer about these boots. They are not vinyl, they are a leather-like material made from cotton FIBRES and apple skins that is breathable and stretchy. No further info I could find about HOW it is made, but the article stressed they are not plastic. FWIW
    Huh. Well in that case I have no idea. Are they oil skin?

Leave a comment:

• demidq
    replied
    Actually, there was an article in "Heels Down" last summer about these boots. They are not vinyl, they are a leather-like material made from cotton FIBRES and apple skins that is breathable and stretchy. No further info I could find about HOW it is made, but the article stressed they are not plastic. FWIW

Leave a comment:

• Scribbler
    replied
    If you google vinyl from cottonseed you will get lots of hits primarily from flooring companies so it's clearly a thing. I don't know the manufacturing process or whether there are petrochemicals involved. It is going to be another basically non biodegradable hunk of plastic though

Leave a comment:

• trubandloki
    replied
    I googled it and I can not find anything that says cotton (but then, Google hates me). In most of the ads and press releases they use the term faux leather interchangeably with vegan leather, so you are right there chillydc .

Let us know what you learn. If they truly made them out of something other than laminated petroleum products I will be impressed at how far fake leather has come.

Leave a comment:

• Scribbler
    replied
    They are not made from plastic or vinyl, the main component is derived from cotton. There is no glue involved. Yes, I have done a general search and contacted the Fabbri rep. I do not think that any boot company advocates the bathtub method and the advice I received was typical, just wear them until they are broken in. In hopes of making the process go a little faster, I wondered if anyone had tried that with these. They are breaking in the way any normal boot does.

Please note, I am not the one who made up the term "vegan leather", that is what the company calls it. I understand that it is a misleading term. I will edit the title of the thread.
    Vegan leather isn't confusing, we are just amused.

You can make vinyl or plastic out of any oil. It doesn't need to be petroleum based. Yes, you can make plastic out of plant oils including soy. I expect cottonseed oil is a cheap byproduct of the fabric process as the seeds need to get combed out of the cotton bills.

If the boots look like fake leather then they are a vinyl type product made from plant oils. These will behave just like vinyl from petrochemicals except they might degrade or compost a little bit faster.

I don't believe there is no glue. All modern boots and shoes use glue somewhere in the mix.

Leave a comment:

• chillydc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Guilherme
    replied
    "Leather" is tanned animal skin. A product made in a factory is not "leather." It might be "synthetic leather" or we might give it a new name entirely, like "Naugahyde" (although rumors of herds of Naugas continue to persist ).

In any event you can't wet-fit synthetic materials in most instances. Nor are they amenable to mechanical methods in most instances. They are what they are when you buy them. Make sure they fit at that time or don't buy them.

G.

Leave a comment:

• NoSuchPerson
    replied
    Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
    I do love the smarts of the marketing team though.
    When I got my first paddock boots they were the cheaper synthetic materials. Now they charge extra for synthetic materials and call it vegan leather.
    Years ago, standing on a boardwalk in a wetland in Australia, the guide said, "We used to call this a swamp and no one wanted to come here. Then, we started calling it a wetland and all the tourists want to see it."

Leave a comment:

• Scribbler
    replied
    I long ago gave up on shoes that had any vinyl components in the upper, either outer or lining, because they don't mold to your feet, they are hot, and vinyl lining in a leather shoe eventually crumbles.

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• trubandloki
    replied
    OP, I agree that your boots are made from all synthetic materials. Calling it leather will only confuse things when you are looking for help trying to deal with them.
    Have you searched (general internet, not just here) how to break in boots made of whatever the exact material these are?

I do love the smarts of the marketing team though.
    When I got my first paddock boots they were the cheaper synthetic materials. Now they charge extra for synthetic materials and call it vegan leather.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X