Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Clipping frustrations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping frustrations

I was going to buy a new pair of Lister star clippers as I am fed up with how many clipper blades I buy, I am not sure if its my clippers or something I am doing wrong. I currently have the wahl KM 10 and had the oster A6 previous to that. I can't trace clip (blanket clip) one horse without my clippers quitting. The just stop cutting the hair. Sometimes if I take the blades off and really try to clean them, or lubricate them they cut two more swipes then quit. I continue the process of taking off and cleaning/lubricating. It get's especially bad on top of the bum. I usually have two new blades when I start a clip job, but seems ridiculous to have to buy a new set of blades for every trace clip??
    My horse doesn't get bathed before clipping as I don't have warm water. That is probably half the battle, but not really something I can change.
    Does anyone know what I am talking about? Have an input on the lister's? Will they cut through anything? Worth the money?

I have a fjord, so dense coats are my reality. I have lister stars and Andis AGR+ with both batteries and the battery pass through... also an old pair of Oster A5s but I never even bothred with those). The Andis with brand spanking new T84 blades AND the battery replacer cannot clip that coat. Not even a little. They just hold out a white flag and surrender once we get past the legs and face. The lister stars just power on through the same coat and they are about 13 years old.

But filthy skin/coat is going to play hell on your blades regardless of the clipper. Maybe you can improve the odds with massive grooming/hot toweling/blanketing for 3-4 days before you clip (plus a ton of show sheen). I don't have hot water either, but I do have a bucket heater, I just fill up a wash bucket and drop it in when I am tacking up. It's super hot by the time I'm done riding/driving and I have plenty of hot water to mix with cold to do any warm toweling or even a bath followed by very warm water rinse and throw on the wool cooler (but I'm talking about 40 degree weather, not real winter). If I need a lot of water I just half fill a clean muck bucket for the bucket heater.

If you do go for Listers, you need to buy a pair of medium blades and budget that into your expenses. They come standard with fine, which is INSANELY close, way finer than a 15 blade IME. As a friend said when she used the fine blade (I warned her) that her horse was now prepped for colic surgery ... or really ANY surgery any where on her body.
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Co-sign DMK’s thoughts above re: hot toweling and show sheen. A vacuum would be helpful as well - you don’t mention whether you use one.

I wouldn’t expect the small clippers you listed to body clip most horses, clean or not. Just not powerful enough. Listers are heavy duty and I always found them pretty user friendly - just make sure to regularly brush off the air filter and definitely take the time to understand the proper blade tensioning before starting. Even with Listers, if you’re clipping a dirty yak, take care to clean/oil often (not waiting for them to get hot) and slow way down on each pass.

Comment

I've had Lister Stars, and really liked them - clipped most horses and ponies with them - but any clipping is easier with a clean coat. Do a really good grooming each day for the three or so days beforehand. Use a rubber curry comb or similar to bring the dirt to the surface and then body brush and curry comb as if your life depends on it. If it's full on winter weather, you should end up in shirt sleeves because of the effort you are putting in. If your horse is taller than around 14 hh, stand on a chair to do it's rump.
        I have an old, heavy, clunky set of Sunbeam clippers. I bought them cheap at an auction because there were about 15 sets of brand new blades in the bag with them. I figured that I could sell the blades to fund a new set of clippers. Then I used them. They may be heavy, but they're so powerful and slice through anything, that they are much faster to clip with than my Listers - and so, now I mostly just use them.

Comment

Wet clipping doesn't work for me at all, but a very clean horse with Show Sheen on the horse helps my blades keep sharp. I have an Oster Variable Speed and an Andis and switch back and forth. I've already clipped three times since September. I have a draft cross who has a thick coat, and last time she was damp and the clippers kept getting caught. Keeping the clippers clean, taking them apart and getting hair out, plus keeping them oiled is important. Was surprised that Andis has lots of good clipping videos on YouTube but Oster has none that I could find.
          I have tried getting dull clipper blades sharpened but it hasn't worked for me so far. I always have a spare pair of blades because it seems that when you are half way through is when your blades go dull very suddenly. "Grooming Resource" website has good tips on clipping.

Comment

I like wet clipping but I wouldn't recommend it for cold temps, the horse has to be very wet and I typically hose off, do one side, hose off do the other side and maybe a few quick sprays in between. That's a long time for a horse to be wet to the skin in the cold! So I did a wet clip on labor day and right before Thanksgiving ( because in GA those were both hot days), but a dry clip about 4 days ago since winter is here...ish. and clipping 3x in winter... Sigh... Fjord.

Comment

Not being able to bathe is going to be killer, especially for smaller clippers. I clip with Wahl KH-10s now for body clips but thats on clean horses with fine to normal coats. When I was clipping as a business I used the Andis HP Progress clippers for horses that either were not bathed or had thick coats/cushings. They worked well on those horses for cutting the hair. If the horse is dirty underneath you will get a lot of dandruff and lines as a result. But I didn't have a problem with the blades quitting on rough horses with the HP Progess.

As far as buying new blades, try posting on Nextdoor or other forums asking where you can get blades sharpened. There is usually somewhere obscure in most towns because most barbers with get their blades sharpened. This cuts down on cost immensely. I think I was paying about $6 per blade for sharpening and they were good as new afterwards. Most places would also do a good lube and tune on my clipper motors as well at the end of the season.

Comment

As part of your pre-clipping grooming, I'd also recommend using the SleakEZ tool. It does a great job of lifting out dead skin/dandruff as well as dirt. Bonus, my normally "don't touch me" mare actually enjoys it!

Comment

I agree that the clippers you mention are too small to do a good job. Also, I doubt your problem is your blades. I've had that happen when a pair of clippers need some sort of a repair or new part, and when I put the blades on another pair of clippers they work fine. I can usually get through 2 full clips with a single pair of blades.

I hate my Lister Stars. HATE THEM. They are heavy, loud, and just obnoxious overall. Also, they sometimes quit cutting too. But to your point, the blades do last longer than clip-on blades.

I love my Groomer's Edge/Double K belt-mount clippers. A lot stronger than little handhelds, but the handheld part is still light and quiet.

Comment

I hate Lister Stars for the same reason. After using them a few times, I couldn't reconcile my experience with all the great reviews I had read.

Comment

I have a love hate relationship with them. I love the fact that they power through any job, are lighter than clipmasters and do not abuse my right hand (with it's many major surgery issues). I hate the "oil every 10 minutes" but recognize that is a feature of the clipper motor, this is what I read about them: "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]The Star clipper is different to most clippers in that it maintains a virtually constant speed irrespective of load. Normally during clipping a clipper will slow down when lubrication is required. The Star however, does not slow down appreciably ‑ therefore regular oiling with Lister R15 oil is essential to prevent the temperature of the blades rising. In other words, if the blades get hot you are not oiling them often enough or in the right places.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]"

That does seem to be the case, but it is a pain and I'm quite sure my version of 10 minutes is probably a lot more like 15... or 20... or an entire half body of a pony. And dear god are they loud. So loud. And there is something about them that just doesn't clip as clean as clipmasters. Or blow hair in my face, to be fair.

On the other hand, I plowed right on through my fjord's coat when he was a full on unbathed shaggy yak... I kid you not, he had dreadlocks on his belly. This was when I first got him and he unschooled in the civilized ways of life... like bathing. But he had just come 700 miles south and he smelled ... ripe ... when it got warm. So I sacrificed a pair of blades (close to the end of their life anyway), gave him some dormosedan and went to town. As clip jobs went, it was by no means the worst one I have ever seen. I used the rest of the dormosedan after 2 weeks bathing lessons and clipped him again just to touch up, but he really didn't need it.

I'd probably be up for trying something different when these things bite the bullet but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X