Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

We're Back!

We experienced a cyber attack that wiped out the site's content earlier this week via a software vulnerability, but the developers were able to restore everything from backups.

We updated our software to implement available patches and will be making further cosmetic changes to the site to restore it. Performance is slow right now, but by early next week, the developers will have restored a few optimization strategies they usually have in place to keep things percolating smoothly.

Going forward, we will make some changes to the site to limit the number of customizations we implement to the software, so that it is easier to keep current on updates and patches if they are released.

The developers do not believe that this was a "personal" attack, where someone is targeting the Chronicle's site with malicious intent against us specifically. These cyber jerks apparently just cruise the Internet, scanning for known vulnerabilities to attack.

They are confident passwords were not accessed, but even if they were, we store password encrypted, so that should not be an issue. Of course, if anyone has concerns about password security, changing related passwords is always an option for peace of mind.

Please report any glitches in a thread we'll be starting in the Help forum.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Winter warriors, how are you doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedHorses View Post
    Larbear I hope this works:

https://m.facebook.com/CustomChestnu...&ref=bookmarks

... because there are worse things to find in the dark!
    Lol! One night at the end of summer I came across 2 skunks! One was all white. Stupid me thought it was a piece of paper till said 'paper' started walking towards us only then did I notice it's little partner and saw the stripe...."uh, that's not paper, gah skunk! C'mon bud we gotta move!!" 😳

Comment

The winter here in MA (North Shore) has been so weird. We got snow, and a lot of it, early, along with cold temps. It warmed up to over 50 F occasionally... Then warmed up so we've been in a pretty consistent highs near 40, lows near or just below freezing, with occasional snow or rain. This has created epic mud on top of frozen ground, which is my very least favorite footing ever. It also means that if stuff melts during the day, it freezes at night, so there is a lot of ice. I won't ride on ice.

I am lucky enough to board at a place with an indoor, but the mare and I are both already sick of it. I can count the number of times I rode in it between mid-May and December 1 on one hand. Trails directly accessible from the property all closed December 1, so we've been stuck in the indoor since then. I *could* trailer out, but see above about footing. (I also have a beach pass, but will not take the mare there by herself as she needs a babysitter there.)

OTOH the mare is pretty happy with her reduced schedule!
      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I finally, after 9 years on this property, built myself an indoor! So I am riding 1-2 a day. I also now have 8 boarded horses to care for and no employees, so this winter has been very active for me. Better than summer, because my OTTB who was supposed to do the Retired Racehorse Project got EPM and was sidelined for several months, my KWPN filly was at the colt starter. I just had my little QH who I rode a good bit, but in fields because the indoor is where my old outdoor was and it’s was a construction site.

i am really enjoying the TB now, though, and he is showing quite a lot of promise as a dressage/event horse. It doesn’t hurt that one of my boarders is a great dressage trainer, so I am doing half training with him. Dutch filly is coming back from the colt starter too, after being a difficult baby, so we have her to work with soon as well.

We are also having the trainer’s trainer come monthly, and he is an excellent GP rider/trainer. I feel like I am finally getting back into It, after taking basically a decade off to have kids. I have always had horses, just not been doing too much with them. I have been training at home, but seasonally and but not getting out much. That is going to change!

Comment

quietann these were the times in the dead of winter when my friend and I would hit the beach (as in my avatar). Her place had no indoor and the ring was not always good to ride in, even when we snow blowed a "rail" and a big figure 8 in it Then we would take wheelbarrows of wet shavings on those paths to keep the ice at bay. It was a LOT of work!! So we often took our Tb mares to the local beach, best footing around!

These days, I am fortunate to have a big indoor to ride in, and there is a long plowed dirt driveway when we get cabin fever. This winter has been weird here in southern Maine too. The snow is all frozen now and not good to ride in. Hoping for a meltdown so I can use the outdoor ring, OR a layer of nice fluffy snow to ride in!
          Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

Originally posted by Larbear View Post

It can get pretty dull though and sometime I end up having to be creative to do something.
            I'm just totally into getting a steady, soft, light contact at the walk, along with the ability to put every part of his body exactly where I want it whenever I want it there.

I also want a more sustained marching walk, which has not been easy to get from my horse without making him tense. But I don't want tense, I want calm and energetic.

So I want calm, energetic, responsive to light/soft aids, steady contact, steady rhythm, accurate lines, even bend, shoulder fore, shoulder in, haunches in/out, circles, loops, changes of direction, transitions within the walk--and I want it all to be exact, because I know that's what will best prepare us for the same work at trot and canter.

None of it is easy when we're looking for exact. In fact, I don't even talk to the person I usually ride with when I'm working because of the concentration it takes to get even a small part of what I want.

All this walk work does keep bringing to mind the story about when Nuno Oliveira was getting on a horse and someone asked him to show them something difficult, and he told them that he would try to walk a straight line. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
              [USER="115612"] The snow is all frozen now and not good to ride in. Hoping for a meltdown so I can use the outdoor ring, OR a layer of nice fluffy snow to ride in!
              Try boots with ice calks. The boots keep the snow from balling up and the calks keep the horse from skidding out. Not as good as the beach, or good footing, but for those who don't mind the struggle to set them up and put them on, they really help with riding on footing that would be too dangerous without them.

Comment

Originally posted by kande04 View Post

Try boots with ice calks. The boots keep the snow from balling up and the calks keep the horse from skidding out. Not as good as the beach, or good footing, but for those who don't mind the struggle to set them up and put them on, they really help with riding on footing that would be too dangerous without them.
                These sound interesting for horses that are barefoot.

My horse has winter shoes (pads + borium in front, borium in back) so she's secure on icy footing / snow but right now the snow is still about 5" deep with a nice icy crust on top and it makes for potential tendon strains, cuts, etc.
                Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

In Montana! We had a nasty snow storm a few months ago... no snow yet.. we usually have a foot on the ground by now. Temps are suppose to drop into the highs of 10 next week.

How does everyone ride in the winter when it’s snowy and always a high of 20? I now have a trailer and access to an indoor. It’s not heated.
                  https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

When we were training race horses, we just bundled up.
                    Horses?
                    They didn't care, they were happy in the cold, especially the young ones.

Our race training area was very sandy, so it didn't really become dangerously icy in the worst of it.

Once they had predicted a blizzard coming in by next morning.
                    Three of us bundled up and with our aussie drove 300+ heifers from their wheat pastures on the plains down into the canyons.
                    We were just over a mile on the way, not down from the top into the canyons yet, when the blizzard hit.
                    Thanks to our aussie, that kept the heifers moving into the storm, they didn't want to, we could finally get them under the hill and into the protection of the canyons and to the hay grounds we had prepared before we left and settled them on water.
                    Everyone was fine, but us and horses and cattle were covered in snow and icicles when we got back to the barn.
                    Aussie had a ball, she didn't care, another day in paradise to her.

Several weeks later we made the trip back to the wheat pastures on a beautiful sunny day.
                    This time the heifers knew where they were going and were trotty.
                    All we had to do is slow them down in front and bring the stragglers along.

Comment

I rode today at a pleasant, sunny 35 degrees with no wind, and I even got a little warm! Highs in the 20s would be really tough, though. I'd need some extra motivation for that.

Comment

20F is about -7C which is great for riding (given decent footing). I don't even break out my heavy coat for that temperature (unless I'm standing around waiting for vet/chiro/etc). It's surprising how well we adjust when the temperature is relatively consistent. Temperatures that have us pulling out the layers and heavier jackets in the fall get us stripping down to a sweater in February.

If we were at that temp now it would be snowing instead of raining. I'm comfortable down to around -15C/5F riding outside, and -20C/-4F indoors. I will ride at lower temperatures, but it's harder to stay warm.

Comment

It's been raining for the last 3 days. I am so done with it. What happened to winter? It seems mud season is now from September to May/June. And 90% of July and August is too hot to ride.

Comment

We moved to a new farm in May so I was a little worried about the first winter because you never quite know what to expect!

We made a couple changes this winter that have greatly improved life for myself and horses. They are on a free choice round bale with a net. They’re happier and less fighting over portions. I get to sleep in on weekends, easier to leave them for a trip and I don’t have to rush home to feed after work.

The other thing I’m really liking about this property is we have this weird little sunroom that is an addition to our house. Didn’t use it at all this summer but in the fall, I put my horse stuff that couldn’t freeze into this room as well as my feed bins. It is so nice to be able to go in there at night to soak cubes for next day. I feed my horse basically at the door so it’s so handy to grab grooming stuff, switch blankets, etc and not have to haul it through snow.

I also got pregnant in October and was hoping to ride to the end of my first trimester but weather didn’t cooperate. We had no snow but ground was frozen solid so basically riding on concrete. We both hated it so I gave up. Now I’m at the point I don’t feel comfortable riding so I’m not feeling any guilt this year about not sucking it up and riding through crappy weather.

We are going to look at new tractors next weekend which will really be life changing!

Comment

Just had two days in the mid to high 60s. In January. In Massachusetts. I trailered out to a nearby state park and had a lovely ride on my mare, once we were out of the parking lot, with its zillions of kids, dogs, horse trailers, etc. The parking lot was *insane*. And then she wouldn't get back on the trailer, so I had to call a friend to rescue us (after 2 hours, the last 45 minutes of which was standing, me in the trailer, her with her front hooves on the ramp). (There are "issues" with mare but I'm not sure I want to post about them here.)

Comment

I am hoping to start a half lease on a horse at a barn with a covered arena! I've never boarded anywhere with an indoor or covered so I'm pretty excited about the prospects of actually being able to ride after work! The weather is in the 60's right now with constant rain so it's a pretty interesting winter so far. I fear the worst is yet to come...

Comment

Originally posted by quietann View Post
                                  Just had two days in the mid to high 60s. In January. In Massachusetts. I trailered out to a nearby state park and had a lovely ride on my mare, once we were out of the parking lot, with its zillions of kids, dogs, horse trailers, etc. The parking lot was *insane*. And then she wouldn't get back on the trailer, so I had to call a friend to rescue us (after 2 hours, the last 45 minutes of which was standing, me in the trailer, her with her front hooves on the ramp). (There are "issues" with mare but I'm not sure I want to post about them here.)
                                  Was this at Bradley Palmer? I was so excited that the footing was actually decent enough last night that I could do trot and canter work. At night, in January!! It's the little things

I wanted to go to the beach this weekend (I think the times for low tide will be good) but of course now they're predicting snow. Sigh....

Comment

Not even going to try to hide my joy - this has been one of the easiest winters for me in years! I am definitely one of the lucky ones with a beautiful indoor to ride in year-round and also a mostly-okay outdoor. I feel like it's barely been winter here in Maryland...we've had a couple weeks of COLD before Christmas and one little snow that was gone the next day.
                                    This past weekend it was almost 70 degrees both days.

The roughest part was the very beginning of December - I was feeling miserable, it was a cold snap and I was sick as a dog trying to muddle through to my last horse show of 2020. I sucked it up and did it, got reserve champion and then hibernated a couple days to actually get better.

Took off two weeks over Christmas to spend time with my family and prepare for WEC Week 4. Best decision ever, being in a temp controlled climate for a week was good for my soul and my horse was a superstar. Horse and I took a week vacation afterwards to recuperate and now I feel like there's 6 weeks until March and I can totally soldier through the rest of winter. Any sunny, mild day I try to ride outside in the fields so my guy doesn't get burned out being stuck in the indoor!

Having WEC to focus on definitely helped the first part of winter fly by... I also remind myself when it's 35 at night and I have to ride that 1. we have an indoor and 2. previous years I rode outside at night, literally by myself under lights, so shut up and be thankful

Comment

Originally posted by Larbear View Post

Was this at Bradley Palmer? I was so excited that the footing was actually decent enough last night that I could do trot and canter work. At night, in January!! It's the little things

I wanted to go to the beach this weekend (I think the times for low tide will be good) but of course now they're predicting snow. Sigh....
                                      Yes, Bradley Palmer -- what fun it must be to train there at night! Feronia is an old lady now, and a mostly-walking trail horse, though she has -- ahem -- days where you would not guess she is over 5. (Like Saturday at BP, until I got her away from the chaos in the parking lot.) She is boarded a less the 10 minute drive from BP, and it's been my go-to when the trails directly accessible from the barn are closed.

Yes, this weekend will be typical winter again, sigh. I have a Crane's Beach trailer pass but may not ever get to use it, because I won't take her there by herself, and she's not a lot of fun to have along if you want to do anything other than walk.

Comment

Originally posted by bear necessities View Post
                                        now I feel like there's 6 weeks until March and I can totally soldier through the rest of winter.
                                        Same. Mare and I are getting ring sour, and the last week or two were just able to ride outside a bit (rehab, so it has to be perfectly calm, no horses turned out, etc.) then the outdoor got too mucky and now it's frozen. Usually we get a bit of nice weather in February, so at least we should get a break. Looking forward to getting out at 6:30 tomorrow morning to ride in 18f-ish, but I'm grateful that it hasn't been colder this winter. And that the ground froze, so my coming 4 year old got some turnout today.

Comment

Originally posted by quietann View Post

Yes, Bradley Palmer -- what fun it must be to train there at night! Feronia is an old lady now, and a mostly-walking trail horse, though she has -- ahem -- days where you would not guess she is over 5. (Like Saturday at BP, until I got her away from the chaos in the parking lot.) She is boarded a less the 10 minute drive from BP, and it's been my go-to when the trails directly accessible from the barn are closed.

Yes, this weekend will be typical winter again, sigh. I have a Crane's Beach trailer pass but may not ever get to use it, because I won't take her there by herself, and she's not a lot of fun to have along if you want to do anything other than walk.
                                          Sorry meant to say I was able to do stuff at my barn in the ring . I never really know how the trails are at BP in the winter so I've never trucked there in the winter. Didn't want to show up and mabe there'd no place to park or everything's nasty and it'd be a trip for nothing.

I've never actually been to Crane's (no pass) but Salisbury's not bad... plenty of sections where my guy can open up and find his racehorse gear . Bummed the weather is not going to cooperate this weekend

Comment

Working...
                                          X