Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

50+ Riders, how do you stay fit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

walktrot, evidently. I guess I was supposed to sit in a rocking chair for the next 50 years and knit socks for children I don't have. Sorry, I'm going riding. Like my DH says, "I'm going riding, and if you don't like it we'll talk about it when I get back."

Comment

Originally posted by just shoot me View Post
      I'm 57. Four years ago my health insurance plan hooked me up with a nutritionist and a dietician. I've managed to keep the weight I lost off but was not happy with my fitness level so in April I decided to try the Dressage Rider Training program. Twelve weeks of online core, yoga and strength workouts. I was so much more balanced in and out of the saddle at the end of the 12 weeks that I did part 2 in the fall and just started part 3. I don't even ride dressage, i slob ride but my seat is solid and deep and I have been able to handle Rustle's shenanigans.

For cardio, I use Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home program. This combination seems to work for me.

I'm also a massage therapist. There's a lot of physically demanding stuff in my life.
      I’m wondering about the DRT program as well, please share more
      "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Originally posted by 16 Hands View Post
        walktrot, evidently. I guess I was supposed to sit in a rocking chair for the next 50 years and knit socks for children I don't have. Sorry, I'm going riding. Like my DH says, "I'm going riding, and if you don't like it we'll talk about it when I get back."
        LOL....THAT is why I got into the breed I did. While I do have (adult) children (no grandchildren), I am not the sit around, doting grandmotherly type. My kids would probably tell you I'm more of a Mommy dearest type. If and when I can no longer throw a leg over, I'll start driving. Fortunately, I guess, my grandfather spent quite a bit of energy teaching me that sort of thing (he competed in draft pulls) so I can harness quickly, correctly and supposedly per him have the hands for driving (was expected to practice and did on a driving board); so, while I far prefer to ride over drive........I WILL CONTINUE TO ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE WITH HORSES until I'm ashes or 6 feet under.
        Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Originally posted by Sansena View Post

Desiccated beef liver is a great source of iron, B and other vitamins.
          Ubiquinol instead of CoQ10 is much easier for us older bodies to absorb.
          Don't forget vitamin C also = energy.
          Of course B12 and D3 w/K2

All of these make me feel pretty darned good. Without them, I'm not terribly functional.
          So it's not just me. I've been exercising and eating very well since college. But it's been the past 5-6 years that I've noticed I've lost my some of my pep and I need vitamins to get my old energy back. Guess our aging bodies need a little help.

In memory of Apache, who loved to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZAqeg7HyE

Comment

Have found the responses here to be so helpful, especially the range of physical abilities, because they seem a good representation of the general public. I'd like to put a special note of encouragement in for EVERYONE continuing to stay as active as possible! As a physician, research shows that staying physically active is important, not only for your body but to delay dementia, as well. I'd also like to strongly encourage those who have physical limitations to NOT GIVE UP! I personally have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. With the help of a cutting edge Psychiatrist, willing to try new therapies, such as sublingual Ketamine and Modafanil, I've been pain free for 2 years and seldom nap. I periodically have nerve root injections in my neck and trigger point injections, but I'm determined to stay active. I found a health club run by physical therapists and work out twice a week to maintain core strength. I ride both gaited and non gaited horses. Sometimes I've felt guilty that my poor dressage teacher must get frustrated with me because I don't always have the stamina or flexibility needed, and I'm certainly not naturally athletic LOL. I didn't start riding till in my 40s. From the other side, there have been times the pain is so excruciating simply trail riding, I'd swear my seat bones were coming through my skin, 15 minutes into an easy ride. The key to any activity seems to be to vary your activity. Maybe walk 2 days a week for 30 minute at a good pace, lift weights 2 days a week, work on core strength with a trainer, swim or water aerobics, and then ride. It doesn't matter if somebody 10 years older can mount from the ground and I need a mounting block IMHO, because I'm working to stay active till 100 years old. I've told the kids they can build a hoist to hoist me up or teach me to drive horses, but I want to stay active. If somebody looks down on me because I can't do a 4 hour ride, I'm not worried and neither should anyone else. STAY HEALTHY! STAY ACTIVE! LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST!

Comment

I am 62+ . besides having three horses and, being single, doing most of it all myself, I have been attending mat pilates weekly for about 10 years, and an active yoga practice 2x/week for about 8 years. Last year I added an equipment pilates session 1xweek . I am stronger than I have ever been, altho of course I weigh 30+ more than I did at 30....... I do need more cardio, but I get shin splints and my elliptical trainer just doesnt excite me....... As an added benefit, this year I had a dexascan bone density scan done.... and my bones have improved from three years ago..... no drugs, just the equipment session added.

Comment

I am going on 53 and as many others have said here, I eat mostly plants (fruit and veggie), meats, and very little bread and pasta. I try to eat virtually no sugar. I clean stalls and move hay every day and ride 4 or 5 times a week. The eating is where I see the most difference though - if I eat sugar and fat together, I gain weight. If I increase exercise, I don't necessarily lose weight. On the weekends, I have an Atkins protein bar for breakfast and then I'm at the ranch all day, so I don't eat again until about 3. I have a big salad usually with chicken, avocado, etc. The older I get, the harder it is to maintain.
                Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
                Anonymous Bedouin legend

Comment

Originally posted by sorrelfilly721 View Post
                  I am going on 53 and as many others have said here, I eat mostly plants (fruit and veggie), meats, and very little bread and pasta. I try to eat virtually no sugar. I clean stalls and move hay every day and ride 4 or 5 times a week. The eating is where I see the most difference though - if I eat sugar and fat together, I gain weight. If I increase exercise, I don't necessarily lose weight. On the weekends, I have an Atkins protein bar for breakfast and then I'm at the ranch all day, so I don't eat again until about 3. I have a big salad usually with chicken, avocado, etc. The older I get, the harder it is to maintain.
                  Interesting about your experience with sugar and fat. I've been listening to some podcasts lately and I can't remember which one it was that talked about something similar. Apparently you should not eat carbs and fat together because of the way the body processes those two things together...I don't remember all the details, but they said to try not to eat that way.. no burger and fries, or pizza.. those kinds of things would promote weight gain.. we all know those foods aren't the greatest anyways if you are trying to lose, but saying it was the combination of carbs and fat was the key I think... bad carbs equal lots of sugar..

Comment

I'm 66, and finally quit bitching about it and dragged myself to the gym. My health insurance offers a gym membership for free so that was easy. I've been doing Zumba and boot camp 5 times a week for about six weeks now to get my cardio Fitness up, then I will add yoga and weights and reduce the Zumba. Cardio and aerobic is the hardest for me because of my asthma. I think everybody's weaknesses are personal and you have to start with wherever you need to start. Some people, its balance. Some people it's strength. Some people its breathing. I ride the horse 2x week when weather allows, as well. The stationary bike under the desk just wasnt doing it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by altermetoday View Post

Interesting about your experience with sugar and fat. I've been listening to some podcasts lately and I can't remember which one it was that talked about something similar. Apparently you should not eat carbs and fat together because of the way the body processes those two things together...I don't remember all the details, but they said to try not to eat that way.. no burger and fries, or pizza.. those kinds of things would promote weight gain.. we all know those foods aren't the greatest anyways if you are trying to lose, but saying it was the combination of carbs and fat was the key I think... bad carbs equal lots of sugar..
                      It's crazy - when I was younger, I ate TONS of sugar. I loved hard candies, pastries, etc. I would starve myself and could never lose a pound. Now that I've cut out the sugar (mostly), I can eat LOTS and still lose.
                      Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
                      Anonymous Bedouin legend

Comment

Originally posted by sorrelfilly721 View Post

It's crazy - when I was younger, I ate TONS of sugar. I loved hard candies, pastries, etc. I would starve myself and could never lose a pound. Now that I've cut out the sugar (mostly), I can eat LOTS and still lose.
                        But.. does your "lots" include tons of fruit and veggies? If you were starving yourself, wouldn't that have messed up weight loss anyway? Different eating patterns producing better results?

Comment

Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
                          Now that I'm in my 60s, the biggest issue with staying fit is the time it takes. Bad knee, bad hip, bad shoulder, bad elbow, back problems beginning to show up. All of these issues mean that I have to be much more considered in what I do. No more running and working with weights isn't as easy.

Lots of walking and hill work seem to be the best approach - not unlike what I would prescribe for my horse. But it just seems to take so much time to maintain/improve fitness level that way. I keep telling myself that it will be easier once I retire and have more time, but I'm not sure that's really true.
                          No Such, I could have written this post. (I was supposed to retire yesterday, but the universe has different plans for me. sigh

Comment

[QUOTE=16 Hands;n10545425I used to go the gym and enjoyed it well enough but the one I went to was very competitive and all the skinny jockettes would give you the stink eye if you weren't in top shape. [/QUOTE]

One benefit of increasing years is a growing serenity: don't care anymore what other people think.

But then, I regard one of my greatest athletic achievements was being chucked out of a Pilates class due to my incompetence. Hah, bet that man couldn't sit a horse!
                            "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

57 here. Just retired, moved to a different province and joined the local gym. Weight lifting is really helping...not heavy weights. We do a morning class 3 times a week with cardio and weights and yoga twice a week.

Breaking my old routines and joining the gym has been very good for me.

I enjoy Yoga with Adriene and she does have an Equestrian work out on Youtube...check it out.

I also have the Success in the Saddle workout DVD series (recommended on this forum). It is a hard series, so if you try it start slowly and don't beat yourself up. It does make a huge difference.

I am going to try the standing in the stirrups exercise.

Thanks. This forum is full of knowledgeable and helpful people!
                              The greatest gift you can ever give is taking their pain away and making it your own. Wear that pain like a tribute to the love you shared. Laurierace

Comment

Originally posted by Kyrabee View Post
                                So I am going to add in some rowing for me. I have a lovely Concept 2 rower in the garage...I don’t even need to go to the gym so no excuses.

Susan
                                Just be careful that you use it correctly. My kids are both college rowers and Erging can be very hard on your body. They always cringe when they see people using the ergs at the gym because so many people use them wrong. I've tried them because they are great exercise, but I always end up with a cramp in my right hip.

For me, the best way to stay fit and strong has always been swimming. I had a some issue with my rotator cuff that's kept me out of the pool and then a bad fall (horse fell) which included breaking my collar bone, ankle and knee. I've been slowly working up my level of fitness in the pool and also have some simple exercises with weights.
                                Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

So, I'm 57 and it is diferent than 50. I do yoga at least three times a week and it really helps me stay on a hard spook. I now have to walk at least three times a week as well to keep my endurance at a reasonable level. Growing old really sucks and I hate to say I am really bitter about it! It takes a lot more work to not only keep muscle tone but to even keep my mind good! Dang! I used to be so smug, like I would be riding first flight into my seventies but holy cow, I am now in awe of my friends who are going strong into mid seventies. Still have twenty years to go and not sure if I can do it. Need more motivational stories!
                                  Oh and now my beautiful frock coat is too tight because you just get thicker in the middle even though you are at your fighting weight! What more?

Comment

[QUOTE=xeroxchick;n10549771)
                                    Oh and now my beautiful frock coat is too tight because you just get thicker in the middle even though you are at your fighting weight! What more?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried on my carefully preserved show clothes on in years. I hope they still fit, as I am planning to return to showing this year and my pension income won't support replacing them

The greatest gift you can ever give is taking their pain away and making it your own. Wear that pain like a tribute to the love you shared. Laurierace

Comment

Originally posted by xeroxchick View Post
                                      So, I'm 57 and it is diferent than 50. I do yoga at least three times a week and it really helps me stay on a hard spook. I now have to walk at least three times a week as well to keep my endurance at a reasonable level. Growing old really sucks and I hate to say I am really bitter about it! It takes a lot more work to not only keep muscle tone but to even keep my mind good! Dang! I used to be so smug, like I would be riding first flight into my seventies but holy cow, I am now in awe of my friends who are going strong into mid seventies. Still have twenty years to go and not sure if I can do it. Need more motivational stories!
                                      Oh and now my beautiful frock coat is too tight because you just get thicker in the middle even though you are at your fighting weight! What more?
                                      I find that L-glutamine and L-lysine, 500mg 3x a day help my brain quite a bit.

I'm 56 and my horse is 11. I'm hoping for ten more years in the saddle, at least. I don't do much these days, just walk/trot the trails. There are women at my barn still jumping in their 60's, that's too much for me.

Planking is the *best* exercise for my balance in the saddle. I do it three times, five days a week. I notice a huge difference if I go a few days without planking.

https://yurielkaim.com/planking-for-abs/
                                      Last edited by Malda; Jan. 5, 2020, 12:38 PM.
                                      In memory of Apache, who loved to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZAqeg7HyE

Comment

Originally posted by Bogie View Post

Just be careful that you use it correctly. My kids are both college rowers and Erging can be very hard on your body. They always cringe when they see people using the ergs at the gym because so many people use them wrong. I've tried them because they are great exercise, but I always end up with a cramp in my right hip.

For me, the best way to stay fit and strong has always been swimming. I had a some issue with my rotator cuff that's kept me out of the pool and then a bad fall (horse fell) which included breaking my collar bone, ankle and knee. I've been slowly working up my level of fitness in the pool and also have some simple exercises with weights.
                                        I am very careful and so far, so good. Probably not correct form (as to a rowing on water) but I am very careful not to overdo or exaggerate...just trying to move my body parts. I have had a cascade of body parts wearing out rather precipitously in the last few year. I just had foot surgery in April and now that foot is acting up again (I think plantar fasciitis). So, until the foot calms down it will probably be the rower or to the gym for the bike. I was swimming but my right shoulder is really creaky and popping after having to use crutches for 8 weeks. None of the pools at the gym I go to is very good for pool walking or other non-swimming exercise...I may look further at some other facilities. If I get 3-4 weeks of some sort of exercise without hurting something else, I am lucky...I am not going to quit trying. I am NOT ready for the rocking chair...my body may be but my brain isn’t...NO.

Susan

Comment

I have been intermittent fasting for about three weeks and have noticed a difference in my waistline. To be fair, I have been hitting the gym 3x a week for strength training and doing at least one day of 45 mins of cardio. But I think the fasting is making a difference. I stop eating at 6 pm or around there, and try to go at least 14 hours with nothing but no calorie beverages. Now that has also cut down on the glass of wine or three I’d have every night. And I try to be sensible about what I eat. So whether it’s been the exercise, the fasting, or the decrease in alcohol consumption, who knows. But I see a difference and feel good, and did indulge a bit over the Christmas holiday.

Comment

Working...
                                          X