Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

50+ Riders, how do you stay fit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Luckily my posture has always been good and it's something I pay attention to. I have lower back arthritis which for the most part doesn't bother me too much. However, I do find standing for long periods of time very tiring and I start to list to the side or need something to hold me up. today, instead of my usual no breakfast, I had a low fat yogurt which is a step in the right direction I think. Lunch will be my usual salad and if it's not raining, I think I'll take a walk after. At least at my job, the printer is on the other side of the floor so there's a lot of getting up and walking back and forth. Coffee is downstairs so there's that as well. The last time I ran cross country at a one day derby I had to stop halfway around to catch my breath. Can't be doing that at recognized.

Comment

I found myself in cardiac rehab last year at the age of 53. It was a wakeup call, for sure. We live within walking distance of Planet Fitness and while I resisted it for years before cardiac rehab, I've found it's exactly what I need now. It's open 24/7, there's a wide range of people from all walks of life and all fitness levels, and it's CHEAP at $10/month. I can squeeze in 30 minutes on the elliptical before work if I have to, or I'll stop on my way home from the barn at the end of the evening. My only complaint is there's no obvious trainer-person available most of the times I'm there, so I made some mistakes in using equipment I wasn't familiar with and my shoulder paid the price.

And, you don't get very far with exercise if you aren't paying attention to diet at the same time. But that's another thread.

Comment

I just started yoga and I love it. I also do Pilates and a combination aeorbics/light weights class.

Comment

I'm less than pleased with my fitness, at least you are still riding. I went through an illness and spent 5 months in rehab/PT, they passed me out then I realized that I had a huge potential to just go backwards and signed up for Senior fitness two days a week and personal training with the same guy one day a week. I make sure to park a block away to get some more cardio in there because the sessions are only half an hour, and I keep meaning to use the Gazelle that I am hanging clothes all over on a regular basis. It's difficult once you are classified as a geriatric or heart patient in the minds of many doctors, they are perfectly willing to allow you to vegetate and some of the meds are really destructive to an active lifestyle. My doctor keeps describing me as hypertensive and my BP is historically low, sometimes scary low.
          I sit around far too much and it's not smart.
          My personal trainer pushes me much more than PT ever did, I sweat every session, but we are still dealing with the effects of the illness on my nervous system etc, when that happens he has no trouble at all suggesting a modification without stopping or reducing the work. I have weeks where I do exercise at home but it seems that when I feel good and push it I exhaust myself in terms of being able to increase my stamina by the week, two steps forward, one step back.
          I'd say just look for something that is geared to be lower impact, my trainer advertised himself as being elder friendly, not some very fit 25 year old that was going to ask for exercises that could exceed our ability to recover and cause injury. The last thing you need is to try to improve your fitness and tear a rotator cuff.
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...-without-a-gym

I went and hunted that thread down for you. Now I'm going to take my temperature.

"He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

I take a yoga class once a week, and since last May I've been going to a gym twice a week to work on my core and aerobic endurance.
              I can't believe that I am actually enjoying it... my previous gym memberships were extremely short-lived, because I despise the notion of "exercise for the sake of exercise." However, since I simply was not getting anywhere near fit enough working around the farm or riding, I broke down and joined the gym.
              Check your health insurance for a motivational program - I have United Healthcare Oxford, and it offers a "Sweat Equity" program, where if you go at least 50 times over 6 months, they'll reimburse your gym fees! It was a great motivator... too bad, as it turned out, that my employer (State gov't) doesn't participate in that program... pfffftttt.

Comment

I am about to turn 64. WEIGHTS! I am lucky enough to have a personal trainer who really pushes me with weights -- and everything is better since I seriously started 3 years ago -- including cardio. I use to 'pant' after a few trot sets, now no problem -- also no problem skiing out in Colorado with the altitude -- walk, weights, swim laps, and ride for enjoyment - and the balance ideas on horseback sound cool -- I will give those a try -- although in general just being on a horse (unlike the rest of the world) keeps your balance/eyes/coordination working pretty well. Good luck!. Low carb. Stop eating after 5 pm if you can....

Comment

Rapidly approaching 60 here and broke my sacrum and a couple vertebrae a little over a year ago. Up til then I was used to be slim, trim and very fit, riding several horses a day and walking 3-4 miles every morning. Now I'm kinda fit and very fluffy--amazing how much weight a middle-aged person can gain when not exercising regularly! Anyway, I'm back up to walking (fast) 2-3 miles every morning, even when it is zero degrees F out and I'm starting to do a bit of yoga and pilates, and when the weather allows, riding. Fot Thanksgiving, I walked the 5K Turkey Trot in 55 minutes urging my eventer friend on the whole way. A couple weeks ago, I took my horse out down the roads and we did a brisk trot (rising) for almost 3 miles, so I am getting more fit with just walking. Now, I'm thinking of taking up TaeKwanDo again to help rebuild my core and maybe work some fluff off. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll figure out how to diet--but only as a last resort. Lol

Btw, my walks always include hill work.

Comment

It has been a battle for me (64). 7 years ago, I was happy with my fitness and was able to lesson (training 2nd and a little 3rd level) without having to ask for extra breaks. Then the surgeries started and it has been one failed body part after another (hysterectomy, right foot, right hip, coccyx, back and most recently left foot. Talk about fluffy (plus 20lbs...all fat... in that time-frame). I have ridden very little in the last 4 years as the coccyx issue (bone spur) made sitting and thus riding very painful. It was nearly a year and a half after that surgery before I even tried riding again. Of course, I screwed up my back in the interim and I blew up the left foot rehabbing my back by walking (as prescribed). The foot issue really threw a wrench into doing much(or any) ground work so I got to stare at my horse a lot and oh, I could do my pretty pony sessions (grooming).

At at the moment everything is working more or less. I have been walking regularly but it isn’t anywhere near enough. I have been riding since September and my balance in the saddle is feeling pretty good and I am able to positively influence the horse but yeah, no stamina at all. There probably won’t be much riding this winter. Our indoor footing is just too deep. I do some lunging and In-hand work in there but I am very hesitant to do much mounted work. Horsey needs conditioning too and is of the age (17) that I am just not going to push the riding in that footing and risk injury to her. All this time she has been marvelously sound and me...not even pasture sound. A friend has done some work with her periodically and did ride her from May through Sept this year so she has a bit of baseline fitness.

So I am going to add in some rowing for me. I have a lovely Concept 2 rower in the garage...I don’t even need to go to the gym so no excuses. I would like to add in a couple days a week of strength training because I know it is truly a use it or lose it proposition. The last couple months have been pretty whacky between elder care for my mother and chauffeuring a friend around that had a surgery and is not able to drive. Fingers crossed she gets the OK to drive next week and that will free me up a bunch and I need to use that time for me .

Susan

Comment

Heading towards 60 faster than I like to admit. Have done lots of PT for a variety of back problems, and now know that core strength is important! Lots of Pilates-like stuff. I have 2 horses and ride 3-4 times a week, then try to get to the gym the other days. Once a week I pay for a trainer at the gym, which keeps me honest about getting there...

Have been slacking recently, though; need to add in more cardio and delete some calories. Sigh. My body is much less forgiving these days (and the ground is harder).

Comment

Find what types of exercise you like to do and do a little more of it. I go to a CrossFit gym and try to hit the days that are more cardio than heavy lifting. My body reacts really well to cardio exercise and poorly to weightlifting. I am a long slow distance type, and don't have many fast twitch muscles - so I feel great after a cardio session and like crap after weights.
                        Finding something that makes you feel good afterwards will help keep up the motivation. As does paying ahead for classes - I paid I'd better show up.

And I know that the days at the gym make those farm days where I need to lug round pen panels or lift hay or shovel snow easier.

As for eating - don't eat after supper works for me.

Comment

Daily farm chores are beneficial but nothing equals a daily structured routine.

1. Aerobic exercise--I walk several miles 6 days a week.

2. Weight bearing exercise-- I do exercises with weights 3 days week.

3. Modify your calorie intake. With every passing year no matter how active I am, I just don't (or can no longer) eat like I used to and stay at a good weight. It is amazing how little food I need to consume to maintain my weight.

Comment

I'm 57. Four years ago my health insurance plan hooked me up with a nutritionist and a dietician. I've managed to keep the weight I lost off but was not happy with my fitness level so in April I decided to try the Dressage Rider Training program. Twelve weeks of online core, yoga and strength workouts. I was so much more balanced in and out of the saddle at the end of the 12 weeks that I did part 2 in the fall and just started part 3. I don't even ride dressage, i slob ride but my seat is solid and deep and I have been able to handle Rustle's shenanigans.

For cardio, I use Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home program. This combination seems to work for me.

I'm also a massage therapist. There's a lot of physically demanding stuff in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
                              I ride daily and care for my 4 horses --but I also exercise --spin indoors using a YouTube program (varies) for 30-40 min each day. I am a Mounted Archer, too --so upper body gets an almost daily workout shooting a few arrows --unless it is too cold to feel my fingers. I have always been a calorie counter ---aim to keep below 1500 daily. Usually do. I don't drink (too many calories) and avoid all sugary drinks (and diet drinks --just drink water and coffee).
                              What kind of spin bike do you have? I'm looking into a bike but they are expensive and there so many options

Comment

altermetoday --I have a Schwinn "Spinner" ---real bottom of the barrel ---no meters for measuring speed or intensity --guess you can buy those and attach them. My husband goes to a place that has spinning classes. When they replaced their old bikes with new ones, members were offered the old bikes at $100. Husband likes going to classes --me? I like doing it at home. I think I would like a rowing machine ---more complete workout --but having a spin bike is enough. Since I don't know how fast I'm going or how hard, I just try to do it as fast as I can and as hard as I can. Some days I'm better than others ---Mondays are the worst --after hunting all day Sunday --I'm beat. I still make myself get on and "do the class" even if I suck at it. Type in "beginning spinning" on YouTube --I do a 20 min class --but sometimes I do it twice in a row to make the 40 min. There are also "trips" one can take --through the mountains or New York City ---I do that sometimes --but mostly just the same class ---I'm a pretty boring person!

Comment

Turning 66 in a month. I'm a big fan of the Mediterranean diet. Once I hit menopause, I started having trouble maintaining my weight. This diet is sustainable, i.e., you can stick to it for life. My knees are finally starting to go after 60+ years of riding, but i still manage running 4-5 miles 5 days a week, do Zumba 2 days a week, and take Hatha Yoga once a week. My shoulders are shot, so the gym is out of the question. Maintaining good health is a lot of work as we age and I've discovered that a whole lot of people don't want to put in the effort. I have to maintain this lifestyle or I would have to stop riding. I'm down to one horse now though, and that's enough for this old body.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
                                    altermetoday --I have a Schwinn "Spinner" ---real bottom of the barrel ---no meters for measuring speed or intensity --guess you can buy those and attach them. My husband goes to a place that has spinning classes. When they replaced their old bikes with new ones, members were offered the old bikes at $100. Husband likes going to classes --me? I like doing it at home. I think I would like a rowing machine ---more complete workout --but having a spin bike is enough. Since I don't know how fast I'm going or how hard, I just try to do it as fast as I can and as hard as I can. Some days I'm better than others ---Mondays are the worst --after hunting all day Sunday --I'm beat. I still make myself get on and "do the class" even if I suck at it. Type in "beginning spinning" on YouTube --I do a 20 min class --but sometimes I do it twice in a row to make the 40 min. There are also "trips" one can take --through the mountains or New York City ---I do that sometimes --but mostly just the same class ---I'm a pretty boring person!
                                    I loved my spin classes but at $25 a pop it's too expensive now. Ugh.

Comment

• Original Poster

I wonder if they have the same sort of "trips" on you tube for treadmills. I'll have to check that out. When I was diagnosed with lower back "degenerative disease" aka arthritis, my doctor told me I had to give up riding. I just looked at him and laughed. I said "nope, that ain't gonna happen; they'll be prying the reins from my cold dead fingers before I give it up." He was less than pleased that I was ignoring his advice. After he retired, my new doctor, who was much younger, said are you kidding? don't give it up, it's exercise.

Lot's of good ideas here. I've always wanted to try yoga and I don't have a reason not to, so that's on the list. There's a Planet Fitness near me so I will check that out as well. I used to go the gym and enjoyed it well enough but the one I went to was very competitive and all the skinny jockettes would give you the stink eye if you weren't in top shape.

Comment

16 Hands, what did he think you were going to do? Sit in a chair to take the stress off your joints? If you're going to do that you are better off sitting on your horse. It's called hippotherapy.

Last year a woman at our barn was broad-sided by a loaded sand truck and escaped with cracks in her pelvis. She did hippotherapy lessons until her lawsuit settled. She is back riding and started yoga last spring. Loves it and you can see the difference especially when she dismounts.

My doctor pestered me into an almost-useless weight loss group years ago. About half the people there were trying to lose weight and quit smoking at the same time. The one really useful concept:

Humming foods: the urge is from inside. Your body wants it. It won't be happy if you try to substitute something else. If it wants cake a salad won't help.

Beckoning foods: the urge is from outside. Your eyes spot the cake on your way to pick up the salad. You can hear it calling out to you. OMG, your mind wants that cake. No, get the salad. But the cake looks so good....
                                        "With hardly any other living being can a human connect as closely over so many years as a rider can with her horse." Isabell Werth, Four Legs Move My Soul. 2019

Comment

just shoot me Can you post a little more about the Dressage Rider Training program?

I've looked at it a couple times and am tempted, but just haven't been able to make the commitment. I currently don't do anything besides riding, and in the winter that's only a couple times a month. I know I need to do more exercise but always find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                          X