Sport Horse Spotlight

Sternlicht_CF_Stallion_Web-1583x1266

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can We Please Stop This Trend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we bought a gelding that I found online. Sellers(horse trainer couple) were out of state. met them at a trail riding facility. Seller rode the horse, I did, spouse did (it was for him,and he's a person who has horses. He's not a horseman). Horse was a little aloof, but rode well, good manners, etc. Bought him. Got him home, got him acclimated to our place, and all the while he was curious about us but a little keyed up and 'tight.' over time he got better, but was often really quite tricky to catch. he was anxious. yeah, we did ulcer treatments and he lived out 24/7.I made friends with the seller's wife. we were happy with the horse, but I found his behavior unusual. LSS, they had come upon the horse's elderly owner through friends, and took the horse in for some training and to board him. While boarding him, they observed that poor man didn't know how to best catch a horse, any horse, so he'd literally toss the halter AT the horse to try to 'rope him' - N F'ING wonder he was anxious. I spent a lotttt more time than I wanted to helping DH AND the horse learn how to handle each other. Yeah, we fixed it,but I never did like that horse's energy, and in time we sold him down the road. To this day I think he might have had vision issues on top of it all, and/or a bit of a screw loose, vets couldn't find any physical issues. . He had great days and complete WTF days.

Some know it all online has their own kettle of fish to fry and be all proud about LOL. Get your own kettle, the one you wanted

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay so small update!

Pretty much they cant really move forward with much for charges since there was no property damage or anything stole. However it has all been set up in it's own file for if anything were to happen (at least how I understand it)

However tje deputy did call the gal, she told him she was under the impression my property was a public barn??? Not sure how the heck she came to that conclusion. Either way deputy did tell her that what she did was trespassing, and other people may not be as nice as I am. He said she sounded annoyed but understood.

Nothing ever came up on FB or craigslist so that seems clear.

GeldinG is back out in his normal winter pastures! Lol quite confused as to why he had to spend some time away.

So sorry to all hoping for more drama lol

Comment

• I call BS on her thinking it was a public barn. Even if the barn is public that doesn't give everyone and their uncle the right to go tack up the horses and ride them.
        Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

• Yes, that's total BS. FWIW, I can't think of a single "public" barn. Even boarding barns with large numbers of clients are NOT open to the public. You did the right thing to call the police, and thank you for the update.

Obviously I agree with everyone else on this thread that it is at best incredibly rude to show up early for a sales appointment, and that setting foot on someone else's property at a time other than what was pre-arranged is 100% trespassing.

I like the advice given earlier in the thread to wait until the day of the appointment to give the exact address.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalRain42 View Post
            Okay so small update!

Pretty much they cant really move forward with much for charges since there was no property damage or anything stole. ...
            By sheer luck. Helping themselves to handling and riding your horse on their own opened a whole realm of scary possibilities!

No matter where you go, there you are

Comment

• BS. You warned her about dogs, said you had to put them away, etc.

But went about how I said. No "loss" even tho trespassing is a crime itself. Sorry I was correct. Did you get her served with a trespass letter?
              COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalRain42 View Post
                Okay so small update!

So sorry to all hoping for more drama lol
                Oh no, hoping for less drama. I'm glad it all worked out, but sorry they couldn't get after her for trespass. Are you going to try to sell the horse, again?

It's amazing how much people lie to the cops. We had brat kids tear up our land with their 4 wheelers. I stopped them, yelled at them, and sent them home. I did NOT cuss them out. I don't cuss anyone out. I just made it very clear, in my military authoritative voice, that I would call the cops if they trespassed, again. One had an attitude, but, hey, not my kid. The dad drove by really slow while I was walking the property to assess the damage. Then, later, he was driving by our house (leaving with his trailer and the 4 wheelers) when my hubby was coming in the gate. He, and his wife, cussed my husband out (charming). He claimed I called him a b****, lol! Strange thing to call a man. It's also odd, since I purposely avoided eye contact and didn't say a word to him when he drove by. My hubby jumped back in his truck and followed the guy, jotting down his plate. we called the cops and they met him at his house and told him to stay off of the private road and off of our property. He told the cops I called him names, too. Lack of character makes people lie.

Comment

• And I thought I'd heard it all when it comes to the insanity that accompanies these beasts we dedicate life and bank account to but WOW. Just wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post
                    Yes, that's total BS. FWIW, I can't think of a single "public" barn. Even boarding barns with large numbers of clients are NOT open to the public. You did the right thing to call the police, and thank you for the update.
                    City/municipality/park system barns exist and are what people may consider "public" barns. Also some trail riding places will pretty much take anybody who walks in. But even at those where you can basically walk up and ride, you still have to sign a waiver/pay money/talk to somebody who pairs you with a horse/typically have a guide or instructor or at least somebody watching. I've never heard of any place where a random person can just walk in, grab any horse, and ride it with zero oversight for free.
                    Flickr

Comment

• Whaaaaa? I've heard of showing up a few minutes ahead of the scheduled appointment. Never a whole day ahead and getting on a strange horse without the owner present.

Then again, I dealt with enough stupidity from potential buyers when I owned the farm that I did pretty much what GoForAGallop does - no address until you text me you're in the car on the way.

Adding: I'm glad you're reporting it. While the police likely can't do anything at least you have a paper trail in case she backtracks and tries to claim the child got hurt on your property or something. Also, for all we know she's done this before and if there are enough police reports maybe they can finally take legal action against her.
                      Last edited by Wanderosa; Dec. 27, 2019, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• I was on time to my last one, pony was outside in her paddock, muddy He said "I figured you'd like to see her caught n stuff." My kind of seller The last time I sold a horse and had it inside and clean, ready to go, the parent pulled aside a stall mucker and asked if some random spot on the horse's neck was an injection site. It wasn't but thaaaaaanks. She didn't buy either.
                        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Yes, that's total BS. FWIW, I can't think of a single "public" barn. Even boarding barns with large numbers of clients are NOT open to the public....
                          In the NYC area, most barns are owned by the government and leased out as a concession in 20 year increments.
                          Riverdale, and both Twin Lake barns. In NJ there are several as well.
                          So absolutely they are public barns and are on public land, no matter what the management tries to tell you

Eta: just saw Furlong already addressed this

Comment

• Chall and @Furlong, thank you for correcting me. Still, public land that is leased out to a concession that serves the public is controlled by that concession, and I highly doubt there is any stable in existence that allows random members of the public unrestricted/unsupervised access to barns, stalls, paddocks and pastures that contain horses.

I am biased on this topic--a close friend had a horse for sale recently and arrived at her boarding barn maybe 30 minutes in advance of the sales appointment only to find the prospective buyer in the horse's stall with the horse! This is the kind of wildly inappropriate thing some buyers are up to nowadays and I take a very dim view of it.

Comment

Chall and @Furlong, thank you for correcting me. Still, public land that is leased out to a concession that serves the public is controlled by that concession, and I highly doubt there is any stable in existence that allows random members of the public unrestricted/unsupervised access to barns, stalls, paddocks and pastures that contain horses.

I kept my horse at a facility that was locate inside of a park, and the actual stable grounds were owned by the county. The facility was under private management, and MAN was that place locked down. Huge perimeter fence and gate into the parking lot, and only one point of exit/entry that funneled you right past the office windows. Public technically but one of the most private places I've been.

Comment

• Originally posted by _Zara View Post

I kept my horse at a facility that was locate inside of a park, and the actual stable grounds were owned by the county. The facility was under private management, and MAN was that place locked down. Huge perimeter fence and gate into the parking lot, and only one point of exit/entry that funneled you right past the office windows. Public technically but one of the most private places I've been.
                                They didn't want the liability if some yayhoo who is horse stupid wanders in and ends up getting hurt. Seems perfectly reasonable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post
                                  I'm wondering why a buyer would need to see a horse haltered or caught. If you can't fix little tiny behavior problems, you shouldn't be buying a horse.
                                  Haha BECAUSE I went to look at 2 horses...watched one haltered and bridled. While I rode it second one was brought to arena ready... long story short the second horse got sold to someone else..who asked me if I saw it bridled and haltered! Nope I did not..why? Because you have to TWITCH the bitch to get anything on her head...dodged a bullet on the one!!!
                                  Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chall View Post
                                    In the NYC area, most barns are owned by the government and leased out as a concession in 20 year increments.
                                    Riverdale, and both Twin Lake barns. In NJ there are several as well.
                                    So absolutely they are public barns and are on public land, no matter what the management tries to tell you

Eta: just saw Furlong already addressed this
                                    While these barns are technically leased from the park and public there are signs up in the actual horse areas saying those are not open to the public. Maybe someone will occasionally ignore the signs and walk around petting horses in stalls but it's a far cry from what this lady did.

Comment

• These are technically concessions and the signs are incorrect.
                                      ​​​​​​They are required to be open to the public. They operate as concessions and like Playland Park can lose their contract at anytime.
                                      They are not private property, they are not "owned" by the contractor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chall View Post
                                        These are technically concessions and the signs are incorrect.
                                        ​​​​​​They are required to be open to the public. They operate as concessions and like Playland Park can lose their contract at anytime.
                                        They are not private property, they are not "owned" by the contractor.
                                        I boarded for a few years at an equestrian facility in a public park in a major metro area that was operated as a concession by private management.

It was open to the public during the park's open hours. A set of rules were in place/posted prominently to keep people from creating dangerous situations or interacting with unfamiliar horses. There were enough staff and clients around anytime the gate was open that it would have been very difficult for a member of the public to enter a stall or cause any real trouble without consequences. A kook like OP's prospective buyer wouldn't have been able to help herself to horses or equipment without immediate intervention by staff and probably a call to law enforcement or rangers to have her ejected. But it always seemed to me that allowing the public to enter the equestrian facility at all required more faith in humanity than maybe I actually have -- the dumb families with bags of carrots who'd occasionally slip in to try to feed their kids' fingers to unfamiliar horses and the clueless passers-by who'd bring an unruly dog or a frenetic, umbrella-wielding child right up to the arena rail to look at the ponies always seemed like lawsuits waiting to happen.

There were a few areas on that property that were signed as staff only or staff and boarders only (with obvious safety justifications -- e.g. hay storage, heavy equipment storage, tack rooms), not unlike the access restrictions for maintenance facilities at my local park, or locker areas at a public pool. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are some equestrian concessions out there at public facilities that are able to make a case for the entire barn area requiring access restrictions for safety/liability reasons, thus getting the legal go-ahead to lock down that portion of a public park.

Comment

Working...
                                        X