Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Sudden closing of barn for several hours question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden closing of barn for several hours question

My barn owners this afternoon announced via Facebook group that the barn is closed to all boarders tomorrow until 2 pm. No reason has been given. I wanted to come on here and just get people's opinions on this because tbh it is making me a little annoyed. I feel as though a reason should be given, even if it is privately through pm's or text. I also feel that they shouldn't be denying me access to my horses. And truth be told I don't know if this is a knee jerk reaction because I am annoyed about a couple other situations at this particular barn or not.

One thing my friend said was that a horse could be being euthanized. If that is the case, I would be very respectful and stay away anyway, unless there was an emergency with my horses, but I still feel like we should be getting a heads up.

Anyway, I am not trying to be a butthead here, but I genuinely would like opinions.

I mean, you are getting a head’s up. They let you know the barn’s closed in advance, right? Unless it directly affects your or your horse, they don’t really owe you an explanation. A couple of hours without access to your horse won’t kill either of you.

If this is a pattern and you’re not happy, find another place to board.

Comment

You don't know enough to know anything. Pause.

Comment

If this is outside the norm for this barn, I would respect their request that the barn was closed until 2:00pm

Just because your horse is there doesn't mean that you are on wide-open public property. Your barn and facilities (assuming here as you don't say) may be located on the same property as your barn owners. Maybe a horse being euthanized. Maybe the owners are having a Celebration of Life for close friend or family member. Not sure why everything that would happen on the property should become all the boarders' business.

Maybe they don't even want anyone to know that a beloved horse is being euthanized not just because they want you to stay away but maybe also because the owner/rider/? of that beloved horse just doesn't want to even face questions or comments from any of the boarders.

The barn owner would need to explain to all boarders or no boarders. I vote for no boarders and say MYOB until you hear otherwise and respect the wishes of the owners.
        Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; John Gilliespie Magee, Jr

Comment

I wouldn't be annoyed since it is not even a full day. You still have several hours where you can come out.
          My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

Original Poster

I am not planning on showing up, I moved my plans around tomorrow so I could avoid just showing up during the time stated by the owners. I do not have a barn, I board at the barn. I wish I had a barn, because then my stress level would be a lot lower right now.

I am actively looking for another place. There aren't many options in my area, unfortunately.

Comment

Maybe they’re doing a super cleaning of the barn, rearranging things, painting or maybe decorating the barn for Christmas? Don’t make too much of it. It would have been nice to know why but I wouldn’t dwell on it, it’s only for a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by montikarla View Post
                I am not planning on showing up, I moved my plans around tomorrow so I could avoid just showing up during the time stated by the owners. I do not have a barn, I board at the barn. I wish I had a barn, because then my stress level would be a lot lower right now.

I am actively looking for another place. There aren't many options in my area, unfortunately.
                Why stress? Your horse is fine. I wouldn't worry. I expect an explanation will be forth coming.

Comment

Or no explanation. Again, if it's not all day and not a normal thing, MYOB. You are paying them to take care of the horse and reasonable access. They are not being unreasonable.
                  COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Why stress? Your horse is fine. I wouldn't worry. I expect an explanation will be forth coming.
                    I am not stressing because of the closure, I am stressing due to a bunch of other things going on there. Easy way to put it is that my idea of appropriate horse care is waaaay above what they think it should be. Like clean water troughs and stuff.

Edited to add: The stress comment was directed at the fact that if I had my horses at home or was renting part of the facility to look after them myself, my stress level would be a lot lower. It is related directly to care and not to the closing of the barn for 7 hours.

Comment

Other reasonable possibilities: maybe they have contractors coming to work on electrical or plumbing or roofs or excavation or something like that. Maybe the power will be off for several hours, so no lights or water. Maybe they are doing some serious rodent remediation. Maybe they are meeting with a realtor about selling the place and don't want anyone around. I could keep making things up, but you get the idea.

Comment

When I put my horse down, my trainer closed the barn. (I didn't ask.) No, she didn't give anyone a reason, and she didn't have to. I wanted to do it peacefully, quietly, and without most people knowing. The last thing I needed was 30+ children and parents and boarders (most of whom I barely knew) bombarding me with texts and in person comments during a very difficult moment. To this day most think my mare just went back to my home/to a new owner.

The world doesn't revolve around you. As a private BUSINESS the barn reserves the right to modify hours occasionally, of course with the assumption that horse care proceeds as usual.

Comment

I tend to think this is a case where you're letting your irritation with outside/additional issues cloud your judgement on a single topic.

Ultimately, while a barn being closed suddenly for several hours could be irritating (and definitely odd), it's in the territory of things that I think you've got to shrug it off. I get out of sorts when I have to change my plans last minute (so can see where someone would be cross over this) but at the end of the day, I realize that no barn wants to send out a notice of a sudden closure for several hours. Whatever is going on to necessitate this is significant enough that they've made the decision that they have to risk the irritation/frustration of boarders over a last minute closing vs staying open - so it's probably worth my being empathetic/understanding about.

(As specified above, one of the most likely examples of this is going to be a euthanasia situation - and no, you aren't owed the details about this. It is sadly not uncommon for someone to face outside individuals second guessing/gossiping/judging them in euthanasia situations so for a barn owner/manager to elect to keep the barn clear for a person and not let the boarding population know what's up can be an act of extreme compassion for someone in a difficult situation.)

Comment

I am not stressing because of the closure, I am stressing due to a bunch of other things going on there. Easy way to put it is that my idea of appropriate horse care is waaaay above what they think it should be. Like clean water troughs and stuff.

Edited to add: The stress comment was directed at the fact that if I had my horses at home or was renting part of the facility to look after them myself, my stress level would be a lot lower. It is related directly to care and not to the closing of the barn for 7 hours.
                            If you feel the barn does not give adequate care then you should have moved your horses last month.

An emergency closure is completely different from ongoing bad care. Two different issues. Don't get them all muddled up.

Sounds to me like you are looking for a reason to get mad and have a hissy fit. Not a good move.

Comment

You think? It looks easy until you are the one dealing with every single little issue.

Why not just ask the BO why the barn is closed? Your rant is kind of pointless.

Comment

Based on my past experiences, typically if it was anything related to barn updates, footing, cleaning, etc., a reason is given. "Hey guys, we're having the indoor arena footing completely redone, please refrain from coming out to the barn on Friday." So for the request to be sent with no reason why, I would have automatically assumed it was something far more sensitive and none of my business.

Is it annoying to be told you can't visit your horse, especially on a day or at a time you were already planning to? Sure. Is it a major issue when it occurs once in a blue moon? No.

Comment

This is a MYOB situation. The barn is private property. They gave you a courtesy heads up on the closure. If they didn't give a reason, then it most likely doesn't affect the horses or their care, and its really none of your business. If your horses aren't getting proper care, you should have already moved them. This is no reason to be upset. Other issues may be, but again, that's an entirely separate issue.

Comment

In the spirit of "we should be there to advise and support each other on coth and not reprimand with meaness because we all have our days, just like our horses do...." I'll go a slightly different route, yes it is annoying, yes I would want to know why, however after venting, because hey we all need to vent and rant and thats what friends are for.. I would hold my tongue with the bo, and just wait till you get there later on today, and see what if anything has changed. Maybe a horse is gone.. which is super sad of course, maybe they have updated something really nice for the boarders and wanted it to be a surprise, maybe the bo lost a family member and the funeral ppl were at their house if it is at the same place helping make arrangements and they didnt want to be asked questions.

Either way, yes annoying, yes better to vent here than to your bo, and I'm glad we could be here for you to get your frustration out, I hope all is well at your barn and it is a super nice update for the boarders, check back and let us know how it goes and have a great Friday the 13th and weekend!!!!

Comment

This is why some barns are closed one day a week, typically Mondays. To allow for major repairs, maybe a pest exterminator, tree removal, grading or paving work, euthanasia(s) and removing the carcass, especially if the truck is not right there and doesn’t have an etched in stone arrival time, newsflash, they usually are not there when they drop the horse(s)...something nobody really needs to see. Don’t need to see the carcass , don’t need to see how they get it in the truck. People come on here all the time to complain about that scheduled one day a week closure too, can’t win.

Something only one person has mentioned, an unexpected death in BOs immediate family or emergency trip to the hospital and unexpected surgery. They didn’t close it to go shopping or irritate boarders.

I know it’s annoying but you’ll suffer less stress if you are more willing to show a little compassion towards your BOs throughout your horse owning years. They are human and they did notify OP, as opposed to just locking the place up for a half day. BTDT, day before would have been much better. In that case, BOs spouse had a cardiac event the afternoon before, nearly died, spent the night in the hospital and had surgery the next morning. Neighbor fed and watered that night and the next day. Stuff happens.

Being unhappy with the barn for other reasons was not shared in the OP and, really, doesn’t change there may be legit reasons and BOs are entitled to the benefit of the doubt here. First reaction should be hope everybody is alright, not how dare they inconvenience me.
                                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

If it's not a normal thing, I don't see it as a problem either. I had to euthanize a horse last year. I wish the barn owner had closed the barn. The horse was in great physical health, but was mentally a train wreck. I had had this mare for a couple years, with many $ in vet bills, and trainer bills trying to help her. She had progressed to attacking people, may have been having hallucinations, and was just really unsafe to be around. The barn that I'm at is full of older adult ammys who would fork over their entire bank account for their horses, even the 35 year old horse with no teeth that can barely walk around its pasture type of deal and are pretty anti-euthanasia... so the thought of putting a young horse that *looked* physically in peak condition was just appalling to them. BO and I made up a definite diagnosis of brain tumor (slight possibility but not diagnosed) to ward them off, but it was embarrassing and shaming and having the other boarders around right after was really pretty harmful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X