Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Walter Moore rear view

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

New horse - settling in and knocked confidence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie Cochran View Post

I often have to end up lecturing a horse, with a shaking finger, about how I never give treats by hand so the horse can stop wasting his time and energy trying to mug me. Usually after the second, slightly more vehement lecture, the horse gives up and politely waits, giving me encouraging nickers, until I give him a treat or some grain in a bucket.
    I clicker train and my husband doesn't, so he just ignores the horses if they approach him--and doesn't carry treats because it's not his thing. The horses figure it out within weeks of getting here.

A friend of mine, a clicker trainer, doesn't want to be surrounded by her herd every time she goes to the barn, so she doesn't carry treats and if they come over to her and start offering behaviors she ignores them. Then, when she's ready to clicker train she puts on her vest and goes out and usually separates one, and starts clicking. Her horses know the drill.

Comment

I didn't read all of the responses, but to me, it sounds like across the board this horse has it in his mind that respecting you is an option. You ask, and sometimes he's a yes, and sometimes he's a "ehhhh, I'd rather XYZ."

This kind of respect is earned from the ground first. My advice - pick your preferred flavor of groundwork/natural horsemanship/in hand work and start at the beginning.

Comment

I've just recently gone through a slightly similar experience with my mare that I purchased a year and a half ago. When she arrived she was also quite sluggish and resistant, both under saddle and on the lunge. I bought her from a trainer and was told that's just how she is. At the time, I thought it was great because I was coming off a HOT TB, and wanted a change. However after a few months she started to spook. The spooking continued to get worse and worse. It got to the point where she'd started bolting, rearing and misbehaving on the ground. During this time I had a saddle fitter out and was sold a saddle that was "perfect" for her. To make a long story short... I went through two saddle fitters before finding one that made a difference, and what a difference it made! The spooking/rearing/bolting stopped, but she was still resistant under saddle. On a whim I put her on Comfort Gut, and let me tell you, I have a completely different horse! She's now lovely and forward, sensitive but not reactive, forgiving, and such a little worker! She is an absolute joy to ride and rarely spooks at even very scary things anymore. The moral of my story I guess, is that some of his behavior might be trying to tell you something. I'm not saying it will be the same issues that I uncovered, but there may just be something you can't see that is affecting him. I also learned that just because one saddle fitter works well for someone else, doesn't mean they're going to be a good fit for your own situation. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by skydy View Post

I disagree. The horse seems to know the "basics".

It seems to me that the OP and the horse need some time to get to know each other as is usual with a new partnership, and that the OP needs some local help/advice to establish the pecking order.

Going "completely back to basics" as in re-training with a "system" that is sold on the internet, seems a little much to me, at this point in time.
          I disagree. A horse that is sluggish does not know basics. It is dull and shut down. And Equitation Science isn't a "system", it is an organization that uses scientific method to research and develop humane training methods and husbandry methods.

And "pecking order" has been proven to be a false interpretation of how horses interact with humans. Best way to develop a new partnership is to establish a common language by going back and making sure horse and rider are on the same page with regards to basic aids.
          Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post

I disagree. A horse that is sluggish does not know basics. It is dull and shut down.
            I will respectively disagree with this. I am very fortunate to own an extremely well-trained horse (that I take zero credit for; he came to me that way). If he is sluggish and not forward, it is my own damn fault. When I ride correctly, or if my trainer rides him, he can be shockingly brilliant. He is lazy though, and will only work as hard as he has to. It is entirely up to his rider to enforce that. It took me a full year, and I had to take up running to have the fitness I needed to ride him, but if he is sluggish, it is 100% my fault.
            where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Comment

I disagree. A horse that is sluggish does not know basics. It is dull and shut down. And Equitation Science isn't a "system", it is an organization that uses scientific method to research and develop humane training methods and husbandry methods.

And "pecking order" has been proven to be a false interpretation of how horses interact with humans. Best way to develop a new partnership is to establish a common language by going back and making sure horse and rider are on the same page with regards to basic aids.
              A "sluggish" horse is not necessarily "shut down" or unaware of "the basics". I think most people who have trained horses understand what I mean by "pecking order".

I've looked at the Equitation Science website. I'm just not as impressed as you are and would not recommend an "online" organization to someone who has access to competent trainers IRL as the OP seems to have. Completely retraining a horse of the type the OP describes, benefits the Equitation Science people, not the O.P.

The issues the OP describes don't seem to me to be so extreme that the horse needs to be completely restarted. JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by alishaarrr View Post
                4) I've taken him out on hacks 3-4 times and he's been very good. These have been short (30-60 mins) and in company. Today we went out with three other horses, and at the canter at points he got pretty strong and pissy about being behind other horses. This was a long hack (nearly three hours) and I think he got a bit overstimulated and unsettled, so when we went for a canter toward the end, he bolted -- couldn't get him to stop and finally got dumped off. He ran off, ended up crossing a big road and jumping a gate into a field near the barn before someone I was out with went and caught him. Fortunately all fine, but that really knocked my confidence a bit as far as hacking goes. He'd had three days off prior, which I didn't think would've been an issue given that he's generally so lazy. I admit we might've overdone it a little bit and I should've been more in tune to him being too unsettled for another canter, but would appreciate any thoughts on what went wrong and how to prevent this in the future (especially as I'd really love to try him hunting eventually ...).
                I will chime in on this part as a foxhunter who brings many new folks and kids to the hunt. Taking a horse out in a group is an incredibly different dynamic. Especially when a horse is in "follow" mode. It doesn't matter how schooled the horse is at home -- it is just different. It is the rare horse who will be well behaved and relaxed as the last horse in the group without specific training -- that's the one that gets eaten by the lion, you know!

There are a few tricks you can employ to help your horse adjust to this dynamic. It is GREAT to practice and train for it, so you have the tools when you go to the hunt, so don't throw in the towel just yet.

1 - School with a group who will help you if you need it. Ask the group to slow down and wait when you need, and put a babysitter behind your horse so he isn't last if that makes him nervous about getting eaten. Your safety is paramount. Now you know what he can be like, so make sure your group is ready to support you.

2 - When he is comfortable being in the middle where it's safe, now you can train. Slowly start pushing him outside his comfort zone, a little bit at a time. Ask him to wait for just a moment as the group moves off, then make that longer and longer. If being in the back is too hard at first, ask him to leave the group by moving sideways, or parallel, but at a slight "Y" away from others. Then slowly come back. And away, and back, etc., etc. Put the pressure on and take it off. Increase the pressure until it is no big deal to leave and come back to the group. Make it bigger and bigger as you feel he is ready.

3 - Regularly ask him to be his own herd. Get out of "follow" mode by doing the "Y" trick. Ride parallel to the group instead of behind or in front, which will make him pay more attention to where he puts his feet, and be less focused on his buddies. It is amazing how much difference it can make by just moving 6 feet to the right or left from the lead horse's track.

4 - If he gets strong, resist the urge to circle to get control -- this will only put him further behind and increase panic, and it is NOT control. Instead, let him go forward and work, but use a serpentine alongside your group so you don't get behind, and put his butt to work with whatever work you do at home. Even small serpentines help to put his attention back on you. Serpentines are a useful tool as you are leaving and coming back to the group in small bits. Play with how big the serpentines get.

5 - Learn a pulley rein. Google it, practice it, and master it. Practice it while you are out with your group and have friends help. Create a controlled situation where you need it, so you can use it for real. (like put yourself in the back and get behind on purpose, but have your friends be prepared to stop if you need help) OWN THIS SKILL.

6 - Take this in small bites and make it a happy experience, with little bits of pressure at a time, and definitely not pressure the the whole time. You are right that 3 hours was too long, but you'll know that for next time.

A well trained foxhunter is worth its weight in gold!! You absolutely must train it, just as you would anything else.

where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post

I will chime in on this part as a foxhunter who brings many new folks and kids to the hunt. Taking a horse out in a group is an incredibly different dynamic. Especially when a horse is in "follow" mode. It doesn't matter how schooled the horse is at home -- it is just different. It is the rare horse who will be well behaved and relaxed as the last horse in the group without specific training -- that's the one that gets eaten by the lion, you know!

There are a few tricks you can employ to help your horse adjust to this dynamic. It is GREAT to practice and train for it, so you have the tools when you go to the hunt, so don't throw in the towel just yet.

1 - School with a group who will help you if you need it. Ask the group to slow down and wait when you need, and put a babysitter behind your horse so he isn't last if that makes him nervous about getting eaten. Your safety is paramount. Now you know what he can be like, so make sure your group is ready to support you.

2 - When he is comfortable being in the middle where it's safe, now you can train. Slowly start pushing him outside his comfort zone, a little bit at a time. Ask him to wait for just a moment as the group moves off, then make that longer and longer. If being in the back is too hard at first, ask him to leave the group by moving sideways, or parallel, but at a slight "Y" away from others. Then slowly come back. And away, and back, etc., etc. Put the pressure on and take it off. Increase the pressure until it is no big deal to leave and come back to the group. Make it bigger and bigger as you feel he is ready.

3 - Regularly ask him to be his own herd. Get out of "follow" mode by doing the "Y" trick. Ride parallel to the group instead of behind or in front, which will make him pay more attention to where he puts his feet, and be less focused on his buddies. It is amazing how much difference it can make by just moving 6 feet to the right or left from the lead horse's track.

4 - If he gets strong, resist the urge to circle to get control -- this will only put him further behind and increase panic, and it is NOT control. Instead, let him go forward and work, but use a serpentine alongside your group so you don't get behind, and put his butt to work with whatever work you do at home. Even small serpentines help to put his attention back on you. Serpentines are a useful tool as you are leaving and coming back to the group in small bits. Play with how big the serpentines get.

5 - Learn a pulley rein. Google it, practice it, and master it. Practice it while you are out with your group and have friends help. Create a controlled situation where you need it, so you can use it for real. (like put yourself in the back and get behind on purpose, but have your friends be prepared to stop if you need help) OWN THIS SKILL.

6 - Take this in small bites and make it a happy experience, with little bits of pressure at a time, and definitely not pressure the the whole time. You are right that 3 hours was too long, but you'll know that for next time.

A well trained foxhunter is worth its weight in gold!! You absolutely must train it, just as you would anything else.

Good advice.

Comment

great post, Fizz. COTH can be such a great site.

Comment

You have some great advice here! I will chime in. It took me 2 years to figure out my current trail hack/Dressage mount. There was so much sorting to do and I took it super slow after she communicated to me issues as we went along. Don't hurry, time and patience along with help go a long way.

Comment

I disagree. A horse that is sluggish does not know basics. It is dull and shut down.
                        A sluggish horse who doesn't respond to a new rider may not fully understand what that rider is asking if his/her way of cueing the horse to do things is different than he was used to in the past.

It can happen in a well trained horse , one newly started and everything in between.

Comment

Originally posted by alishaarrr View Post
                          had another really excellent trainer out today and she very simply said, "He's a great horse, just needs to be told exactly what is expected of him when he's in the school until that becomes his new way of going." After being more firm with him at first than I have been as far as Go Means Go, within five minutes he was nicely in front of my leg and maintaining better impulsion. After the lesson, her comment was that as long as I can keep him moving that way, the fences will be no issue -- he does have a great jump, just won't work if he doesn't have to.
                          This trainer's a keeper! I was watching the Beezie Madden teach one year's USJHA Horsemanship Clinic and she said she refuses to let her horses get dull to her aids. If they don't listen to her leg (or her spur) right away, then she gives them a little tap behind her leg with the stick one time to get them back into the habit of paying attention again. She said she trains that you shouldn't have to be constantly squeezing your horse with every step. They should move promptly off your leg the way you're asking (forward or to the side) and you go about your business. Just use the whip judiciously.

Comment

First, stop the treats. Nothing worse than a pushy, nippy jerk that thinks he's entitled to treats.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Sounds like he is behind your leg. Get a crop. Ask for a forward transition normally. If he ignores you, ask the same way again, but add a sharp whack behind your leg. Not on the shoulder, right behind your leg and at the same time you apply your leg. Be prepared for a squeal or a hop. Keep your hands relaxed, just make sure your weight is in your heel and you aren't tipped forward. Do this EVERY SINGLE TIME you ask him to go forward. It won't take long for him to realize you actually mean it and you will enforce is EVERY TIME.

On the ground and on trails, be the boss! You are his Alpha. My daughter's trainer has 2 rules. Rule #1 is Be the Boss! . You can be the boss and still bond with him. You'll get there.
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this response -- super helpful. Everywhere we hack out around our barn is grassy tracks in between farmed fields, so I will see how much of this I can do with our lack of open space.

Comment

Just want to add that I don't think tree hours is too much. From riding field hunters I can say that even very experienced show horses might not be that experienced and relaxed in groups, and if you are going too slow for the horse's comfort they can get pissy. Long trots are good, and can take the edge off.
                                And from my perspective, a little sluggish is just fine; pleanty of situations where they will get hopped up.
                                dont be afraid to set very firm boundaries. Horses, like children, will push you for those and are much more comfortable when you enforce boundaries. Then they relax and just do.
                                i think it sounds like you were very sensible in your choice of horse and just give it some time with lots of riding. Hate it that he bolted, if he ever does that again run his ass off if you can. Like, "you want to run? Okay then! You want to stop now? Oh no! Not until I say!" Sounds insane but if you have room it can reshape their perspective.

Comment

I just have to jump in that kudos to you for reaching out to get help. My story is similar in that 20 yrs ago I bought a horse that bolted (a few times!) and dumped me and wow did I have to learn to relax and learn to ride a 180 when we were out hacking. What I learned was to relax and just ride it and then he stopped after the initial spook.

We had at least 1000 magic carpet rides and he's now retired and I adore him (I tear up even writing this). You will have this too. You're on your way. The key is learning to relax and get confident. You're going to be such a better rider with this horse. Please post a picture too ok?

Comment

Look into Warwick Schiller’s program, specifically the new “relationship” path on the ground. You already recognize a lot of his communication signals, but what do they mean and how should you communicate back to him? How can you help him handle boredom or anxiety? Does he view you as someone who listens to him or does he just do his own thing? How do you change that? I think you can find some direction on these points with his techniques.

Comment

Working...
                                    X