Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If people do have papers it really frustrates me when people don't send them along with the horse. Papers are useless without the horse (unless you are shady and going to use them for another, similar looking horse, which is just wrong). Recently there was an AQHA mare for sale in our area for $250. Or $1000 with papers. Like really, sell her for $250 towards the slaughter pipeline just to get more money for papers? It makes no sense for me and IMO puts the horse at risk, especially in the lower price brackets.

However, not having papers has never stopped me from getting a horse. Then again, I only show in small local schooling shows, am not involved in a breed association, or anything similar to that either. I'm pretty good at guesstimating ages from the teeth, and typically I take in rescues anyways, and I am aware of the risk I am taking in regards to age/health/soundness, etc. Papers in those cases don't REALLY matter to me. But irks me to no end are people holding papers hostage for more money. Or hanging onto them to try and use for a different horse, which is an age old trick of a lot of low end dealers.

Comment

Originally posted by MsM View Post
      I once owned a QH that "had papers". Except they werent transferred to seller and I was never able to locate owners of record. Didnt really matter as he was a gelding and I wasnt doing QH shows (and before HYPP testing). Always wondered if that was really him...
      I have one of those, too! Supposedly mine was left with Owner's ex-BF's mother to sell. OExBFM gave us a name and a birthdate, that matched up with a horse on All Breed Pedigree - but yeah. I've always wondered.

I tried contacting previous owners in hopes I could register him, but *crickets*.

Now, years later, I would probably insist on papers, for all the reasons cited above. And because I'm learning about pedigrees and what QH lines I like and which I don't, so I feel like knowing who the horse is lessens a little bit of the guesswork.

I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

My OTTB has papers but I have never bothered to have them transferred to me. It seems she couldn't care less

Comment

Originally posted by joiedevie99 View Post
          I greatly prefer having papers, tattoo, or microchip - because it can confirm age and breeding. That said, I don't show in breed shows where they are strictly required. I wouldn't walk away from an otherwise perfect horse if it lacked papers - especially it was over the age where I might want to show it in an age restricted class.
          I wouldn't walk away but my offer would definitely be reduced, possibly by quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by RubyTuesday View Post

Depends on how much money is involved. I think most people want papers or at the very least, some idea of pedigree if they're going to spend $$$$$ on a horse.
            This. Most horses I've looked at in the four figure range didn't have papers and I was okay with that.

I've seen horses for sale in the 10-20k range without papers but I would never consider those. Too much money to not be certain about the horse's age and breed.

btw, I paid 6k for my QH with papers.
            In memory of Apache, who loved to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZAqeg7HyE

Comment

I was given a horse who’s papers and passport was missing. I knew he was a German Hanoverian as he had a brand, but no chip. My daughter contacted the German Hanoverian Society and they were able to ID him by DNA testing with hair samples, plus pictures of him and his brand. He ended up being three years older, than we were told, but he had fabulous breeding and a show record in Germany before he was imported. It was nice to have his life history. It was like Ancestry for horses.

Comment

I think it depends on how it happened. If the seller never saw the papers and the horse does his/her job well (like, if the person they bought the horse from was lazy or sketchy) I wouldn't care, as long as I could verify that the horse didn't have any possible genetic issue. For example, I wouldn't buy a QH with lost papers. I would want proof that animal was not a carrier of some pretty nasty genetic issues.

Now, if the papers were present in some form, but not in the seller's name, I would contact the registry to find the owner listed on the papers. In fact, this happened to me. I bought a registered Morgan from a fool of a man for $250. She was in terrible condition. She was blind in one eye from an untreated injury as well. His name was not on the papers. He claimed to be selling her for his MIL, or something. That poor mare was on her last legs if I didn't take her. I paid the fool, loaded her up and called the registry right away. She was stolen from a lease situation. No charges for anyone, unfortunately, because she had changed hands too many times and the original thieves had a lawyer that claimed she was abandoned property (they had leased the farm and the horse from the owner). All turned out okay. I rehabbed her and she was a nice mare. The owner wasn't in a position to take her back, so they signed her over to me. The registry was fine with that.

Comment

I purchased my horse "without papers." He is an ISH and I was told his passport was in the hands of the owner, who had moved out of state; I purchased from the horse's trainer, who was representing her as agent. I was unable to reach the owner to get them. I did have his USEF record, which told me what was pertinent for a competition horse, and since he's a gelding and his bloodlines weren't relevant to his value to me, it had no bearing on his sale.

I do wish I had them. He is special, and I'd love to know what breeding made him. (Somebody once pointed out to me that crossbreds sold out of Ireland to eventing or foxhunting homes in the US are dime a dozen and that he's as likely to be an unrecorded cross between something half Thoroughbred and the neighbor's cob as he is to be by a son of King of Diamonds, or whatever. I don't particularly care, I'd just love to be able to answer the question of "Where can I get a horse with a brain like that" with a little more than "The Irish agent's first name was Paddy and that's all I know." )
                  "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

With arabs horses are now DNA typed. However, it's not always easy to get papers from the owner on record. Sometimes they are dead, sometimes there was some sort of money issue and they expect you to pay for the papers, and sometimes they don't want anyone know the horse came from them. With arabs, most arab people want papers.
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

While I totally agree that geldings are a breeding dead end, as a breeder, I sure like knowing what happens to horses in my breeding program. My stallion has produced a large number of geldings over the years, so that USDF, USE, or any other performance record of his offspring does matter to me. It is a shame whenever a papered horse is separated from his/her papers.
                      Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
                      http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

I re sell OTTB and most of the time w/ a gelding there are “NO”. JC Paper forwarded with the horse. The lip tattoo is provenance of who he is...Sometime I can not get a Fillies paper..They are only useful if she is sold as a Broodmare for NON-TB breeding or sold art a Breeding stock auction. The AQHA and WB industry is way more conscious about paper work and transfer of ownership then the JC. It used to be a deterrent to prevent a sold TB from being returned too racing..Now they have Not To Race stamp process.

Comment

Another reason to know your horse’s breeding for sure is genetic problems. Some won’t show up till later in life, so buying an animal whose ID cannot be proven leaves you open to PSSM, HYPP as mentioned before, MH, maybe even shivers and a host of other issues.

Since sellers are unused to allowing buyer to genetically tear their horses, and the time it takes to test can result in a horse being sold to someone who doesn’t care, pedigree is important.

Comment

Working...
                          X