Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

THC_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is the horse chipped with a registry or is it chipped by a previous owner?

I would do a search on the chip, if possible, making sure the horse is as claimed ; breed age sex and markings. Make sure the registry shows the horse is as claimed.

Lost papers may be replaced by a registry, but you should do diligence and make sure the owner signs a notarized letter stating the paper loss. If possible request the previous to current owner info as well. Try to establish where the papers were lost.

as everyone else mentioned, papers are not a guarantee of ownership and not needed to show

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Procrastinate NOW
    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

If the horse is purportedly registered then "no," at least until that issue is cleared up. One time I bought a registered horse (properly branded and marked) with an excuse of "I can't find the papers." Turns out the papers were in the hands of a former owner in a foreign country as security for a debt. I was able to fix the problem and eventually get the papers. It was a lesson learned.

When a registered horse is sold without papers the is a reason. Maybe it's benign and maybe it's not. Answer the question before you turn over money or anything of value.

G.
      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post
        being a snob we only look at registered stock of a specific breed
        Am I "snobbier"? I am only looking for a Lippitt or 100% Foundation...

"Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

I once bought a 12 yr old with no papers who was actually 19. Took a year of hassle in court to get a partial refund. So you might not “ride the papers” or care about breeding or breed shows, but I bet you DO care if a horse is 7 years older than you thought!

Comment

I do not think papers or registry are a concern for a riding horse for most people.

I also think a person trying to sell a horse that is in a registry without the papers is suspicious. Do they own the horse? Why cannot they get a spare copy? I would be concerned to buy a stolen horse or maybe a divorce horse or one who is much older or something. It is easy to get a copy, why have they not?

Comment

Originally posted by charlieTBD View Post
              I do not think papers or registry are a concern for a riding horse for most people.

I also think a person trying to sell a horse that is in a registry without the papers is suspicious. Do they own the horse? Why cannot they get a spare copy? I would be concerned to buy a stolen horse or maybe a divorce horse or one who is much older or something. It is easy to get a copy, why have they not?
              This is what I'm wondering. Who even asks this question unless they think the horse might be being sold without permission in one form or another.

Obviously many of us have horses without registration papers for one reason or another. I suspect the OP thinks this horse is stolen or being falsely represented.

In which case - walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by RHdobes563 View Post

Am I "snobbier"? I am only looking for a Lippitt or 100% Foundation...
                well that is what we have also, just found them (Lippitts and foundation stock) to be easier keepers (less expensive to maintain) and very versatile (requires more tack, but at least you do not need a new horse when you want to do something else)

With the papers we have a better idea as to just what we are getting ... and we did the breed shows

Comment

If I was not interested in breed shows, the papers matter a lot less. Still, if they exist, they can add to the value of a horse.

Unfortunately a fair number of stock type horses had their papers "lost" due to their HYPP status. I would test any unpapered stock horse.

I once owned a QH that "had papers". Except they werent transferred to seller and I was never able to locate owners of record. Didnt really matter as he was a gelding and I wasnt doing QH shows (and before HYPP testing). Always wondered if that was really him...

Current Morgan gelding had to have papers redone by the person I bought him from. He had been through a couple of dealer types and his papers still showed his breeder as owner. She sent hair in for DNA and then the association had to lean on the breeder who was reluctant to sign the transfer. Eventually it got done and the papers were in order when I bought him. I did transfer them to me, but I dont know that it will ever matter to me.

Comment

As others have already stated for me it would depend on the purpose of the horse. I have done so on a few occasions; but, I always made sure first that the horse I was purchasing with or without papers could be legally sold to me.

1. One such horse was supposedly registered but the owner/seller did not have the papers because they had been lost in a fire. It was a story that was easy to verify. Also, the seller had a very good reputation and I knew her as an acquaintance prior to the sale. This gave me some 'comfort'. The mare was intended for my daughter as a show mount but was to later be used for breeding. In my case I owned the stallion and the registry is not one to care a rat's behind what the 'other half' is in order to paper/register it has a half-bred. I did pursue getting the papers which was from a breed registry in another country. Ironically I did not pursue getting the mare registered in the states. There would have been no gain for all the expense I would have incurred since I never have shown in that registry's breed shows and though I did/do compete for all-breed awards this mare was not going to be used for that. The purchase turned out to be one of the best ones I ever made.

2. I purchased a gelding for far more than he was worth at the time of purchase. He was a 5 year old stallion that had wandered off the Navajo reservation with his band of mares. He had no papers but he was branded and microchipped. That alone gave me all the information I needed for verification. He too has turned out to be the best money ever spent. He is the absolute best trail horse I've had to date and I've competed in competitive trail competitions with registered stock including the mare noted above. She too was awesome on the trail but this guy is beyond none the safest thing going.

Now having said all that there are those I certainly would not pursue and have been offered - some registered but without papers and some with no known backgrounds. As stated for each of us, the reason to purchase is and should always be based on our list of definite musts which should in turn be based on intended use. I personally, as a former breeder, feel strongly that papers are important. While I just gave examples where an individual horse's value [to me] didn't depend solely on papers, I know that outside of my care, papers give most horses at least some chance of a softer landing though admittedly no guarantee.
                    Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

I have an OTTB gelding. As he indirectly came through ReRun I didn't get the papers as they retain them. I haven't shown him in any TB classes but I registered him with a TIP number. His tattoo was pretty easy to read when I first got him and I have had him microchipped. Since he is a gelding his papers don't matter. Since he is tattooed the lack of papers don't matter if I want to show him in TIP shows/classes.
                      Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

I would wonder whether the horse was stolen.
                        Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth

Comment

Papers don't matter to me.

What does matter is the circumstances around why there are no papers with a supposedly registered horse. That would be my deciding factor in the purchase.

Comment

It depends, and yes, I have. How do papers get lost? Well . . .

My first horse was purchased at one of those seedy auctions - we were stupid and didn't take the papers with us that night, said we'd get them when we picked her up the next day. Magically, the next day, no papers could be found! Happily, the mare was still there . . .

Alex's JC papers aren't technically 'lost' - I know they're in the house - it's just that they aren't where they should be. You know, in the file cabinet with everyone else's papers.

Bodie's papers are still with one of his former owners. I think they transferred to the person who owned him before me, but never came to me. Didn't care.

My sister leased a registered QH mare from a local breeder, to show. Surprise! Maresy was pregnant, and not supposed to be, as she was never turned out with that breeder's stud. It turned out she was already bred when he bought her, and he didn't realize it. With no idea as to the foal's true lineage (and in the days just before DNA testing), he just passed the foal off as one of his stallion's. So, even when a horse does come with papers, there's no guarantee that what they say is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
                              It depends, and yes, I have. How do papers get lost? Well . . .

My first horse was purchased at one of those seedy auctions - we were stupid and didn't take the papers with us that night, said we'd get them when we picked her up the next day. Magically, the next day, no papers could be found! Happily, the mare was still there . . .

Alex's JC papers aren't technically 'lost' - I know they're in the house - it's just that they aren't where they should be. You know, in the file cabinet with everyone else's papers.

Bodie's papers are still with one of his former owners. I think they transferred to the person who owned him before me, but never came to me. Didn't care.

My sister leased a registered QH mare from a local breeder, to show. Surprise! Maresy was pregnant, and not supposed to be, as she was never turned out with that breeder's stud. It turned out she was already bred when he bought her, and he didn't realize it. With no idea as to the foal's true lineage (and in the days just before DNA testing), he just passed the foal off as one of his stallion's. So, even when a horse does come with papers, there's no guarantee that what they say is true.
                              In the old days this was true. But with DNA testing the days of papers fraud (at least on this issue) are coming to a close (and that's a Good Thing).

G.
                              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

No a horse doesn't have to be registered for me to purchase it. The lost papers thing is a whole different ballgame. I'm a big believer in one horse/one number, papers belong to the horse and not the owner.
                                Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

Originally posted by charlieTBD View Post

Depends on how much money is involved. I think most people want papers or at the very least, some idea of pedigree if they're going to spend $$$$$ on a horse.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post
                                    I have an OTTB gelding. As he indirectly came through ReRun I didn't get the papers as they retain them. I haven't shown him in any TB classes but I registered him with a TIP number. His tattoo was pretty easy to read when I first got him and I have had him microchipped. Since he is a gelding his papers don't matter. Since he is tattooed the lack of papers don't matter if I want to show him in TIP shows/classes.
                                    There are a lot of organizations that offer breed classes, and breed organizations that have point programs for people showing in open shows. I have a quarter horse, and the local ranch show circuit does year end breed awards. And the TB thing is huge in my area.
                                    Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post

That tattoo is as good as the papers as it is positive ID, including foaling date.

Wanted to add that although have bought already trained, not intended for breed shows or breeding horses without papers, if seller represents it as a registered horse?
                                      I want those papers in hand and they better have current owner properly listed (and a signed transfer if applicable).

The term “ believed to be of xxxxx breeding and approx x years old ” is fine as a general description of type but does not replace actual papers or add the same value as actual papers ( or a tattoo) do to the price.

When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I greatly prefer having papers, tattoo, or microchip - because it can confirm age and breeding. That said, I don't show in breed shows where they are strictly required. I wouldn't walk away from an otherwise perfect horse if it lacked papers - especially it was over the age where I might want to show it in an age restricted class.

Comment

I had no idea my horse was registered and had papers until after I bought him (AQHA and APHA). He was coming from a woman that owned a trail company so we didn’t think he was anything special breeding wise. However, when I brought the check to his previous owner, I was given a file with his registration papers and his vet records, not only did I found out he was actually two years younger than I origionally thought, which is great, but I found out he has some pretty well known quarter horses in his bloodlines, which doesn’t matter to me since he’s a gelding that I’ve turned into a jumper, but I would have had no idea if I wasn’t given his papers and a lot of the western riders around me instantly respect my little dude a lot more when they find out what he is.

Comment

Working...
                                          X