Sport Horse Spotlight

Flamenco head 2 (web)_300DH

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe, good lesson barns near trenton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe, good lesson barns near trenton

the title pretty much says it all.... I am looking for a safe, good lesson program to start a 7 yr a old child into horses. She isn't sure yet if she wants English or western, so I am looking for just a basic program that can teach her, for lack of a better word, the basics.

Safe and supportive are my my key concerns. I don't need fancy. I am not from that area and I am looking to get this child a few lessons as a Christmas present.

She he likes to ride when she comes to visit me but she is around 3 1/2 hours away.

While a good program to start a kid can be excellent English or western, as far as riding is concerned, I would go for English to start a little kid, no question there.

The basics in an English geared barn tend to be way more structured and appropriate to a little kid when it comes to horsemanship than is common in western basic riding, so many of them mostly involved in play days.
    Now that changes if the western barn is run by a discipline proven trainer and geared to showing.

Others will have different ideas, but that is my impression over the years as I have seen riders come thru all kinds of programs.

Now, if you have a barn close by and handy that is basic western, you may compromise and try it, see how it goes.
    That above is just a general impression.

Good luck, kids learn anyway.
    You can help direct what she will be learning.
    Kid is lucky to have an experienced horse person already on board with you.

Comment

• Original Poster

I agree that it is better to learn English first. I ride hunters, personally, but when I was speaking with her she wasn't sure. I think if she sticks with it she would prefer English (plus I still have all of my stuff from way back when that she can use.. typical horse person pack rat).

I am not from that area and I really don't know who to send her to. Her parents have no idea what a good/safe program looks like, hence why I am in need of suggestions... I am more than happy to take a peek at facilities but I couldn't be involved in the regular lesson scheduling, performance, etc.

Comment

Assuming you mean Trenton NJ, check out Mercer County Stables. Run by the county, emphasis on safety and gorgeous facility.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Merce...27435010657623
        Last edited by skykingismybaby1; Nov. 19, 2019, 10:38 AM. Reason: add link
        www.headsupspecialriders.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Is it supportive of new students? Teaches basic horsemanship while incorporating fun?

Comment

Very, very few programs still have rent by the ride school horses. Might not be possible to get everything on your list and a better idea to just get her an introductory package to get her started at a safe and suitable, not necessarily perfect, barn. If the bug bites her, you can go on from there.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
              Very, very few programs still have rent by the ride school horses. Might not be possible to get everything on your list and a better idea to just get her an introductory package to get her started at a safe and suitable, not necessarily perfect, barn. If the bug bites her, you can go on from there.
              Thanks. I am not looking for a rent by the ride approach. I am looking to do an introductory package and then if she enjoys it her parents can continue with lessons.

I'm hoping my list of safe and supportive isn't that demanding or all encompassing. I'm not looking for fancy or a show barn, just a barn capable of teaching a kid how to safely walk, stop, steer, up down trot, etc. I'm not looking for a pony ride type of establishment but true riding lessons.

Comment

The Black Fox Farm in Ringoes.
                https://www.theblackfoxfarm.com/lessonstrainingcamp
                Safe and FUN beginner lessons.

Comment

Working...
                X