Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter is already killing me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post

I don't envy any of you up there with farms as these winters get worse. Sending warm vibes!
    I think our winters (western MA) are getting better, as the storms seem to stay south of us before they swing up toward Boston.

Comment

I am in VA and it's been 40-50's the last week, but no sun. I want to run away already. Winter can kiss my arse! I think I am going to start looking for a place in TX or FL!!

Comment

We are getting into a week of 40s/20s. We had a few inches of snow but it melted off.

Still waiting for the snow! This is my 3rd year in Montana. Winter time we usually only ride if we are moving cows.

Looking forward to chopping ice. We have a year round creek and kick the horses to the back field and make the use it (I had a mini meltdown down the first year)

I told my SO we should look for a place in AZ to winter the horses in 😂 he told me we are too young to snow bird and to get over it.

https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

Well my blood is getting thicker after the snow last week. I could not believe how COLD I was, and temps were only down to upper 20Fs! Feet were freezing and fingers too, even with mittens. I had gotten most of our winterizing done, so things were ready for cold days. Just not the people. Even husband wore heavy flannel, long-sleeved undershirts to work outside. This week has been good with warmer temps, 30 and up in daylight hours. Doing chores with only a sweatshirt and vest!

Ground is wet, cold but still kind of stiff, hard? I finally got my fall bulbs planted yesterday and there was no ice, yet froze my fingers. I figured this was my very last, last chance to get them in! I really enjoy spring flowers, even blooming in the snow. I think the cold had gotten into the ground to freeze, then came out again with these warmer days.

I do feel a bit short-changed with a 3-day Fall, right up there with the flash of Spring we got before the rains came. But summer did last a very long time, was pretty enjoyable. We have hay in for winter. Still have one horse to bring home from the Trainer, so need some good weather days to pick her up when ready. Got all their tails shortened to keep them above any mud or snow. May shorten some manes, a couple could pass for Fresians in length and thickness! Shorter manes dry faster.

I also have "projects" inside for those colder days after turning horses out, getting chores done. I actually like our change of seasons. No guilt sitting around like in summer when I "could be doing" any of the numerous things that always need doing! The pace of winter living just slows down, goals are low! I try to never look at the days as harder work in winter, stay upbeat about what needs doing. Cleaning stalls makes me wonder " What is my bone density with all this exercise and walking to let horses in and out?" It was really good the last time i had it checked. Ha ha

We are very unlikely to ever move, so you need to make the best of things. Kind of Pollyanna, but many times upbeat thinking helps you stay cheerful, avoiding being depressed. You laugh at the horses playing in the snow, dogs chasing squirrels away from the bird feeder, admire ice on a frozen puddle edge. And the tractors both started without a problem!! It will be a great day.

Comment

Working...
          X